Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007  (Read 38120 times)

Offline tdawgg3x

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »
I wanted to say that Drew Carey had done a good job hosting it.  One of the many problems he need to focus is the closing line... "Help control the pet population-- Have your pet spayed or neutered."  Next time he should have his "Line" spayed and neutered.  Anyways, I give it a B- for Drew.
"Help control the virus population, have your hard drives spayed or neutered."

-Nick Roche

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 04:09:58 PM »
Money Game - Good job! :-)
Cliff Hangers - Got 2 prices right on the nose! :biggrin:  Great! :biggrin:
It's In The Bag - A $16,000 winner on the first playing! :biggrin:  Awesome! :biggrin:  Good thing Aura changed the second bag when she did!
Eazy Az 123 - Good! :-)  I thought Thomas had the blocks on the clock and the ski equipment switched, but he didn't!  By the way, Joe Capitano, on your recap, you have the price of the ski equipment and the espresso machine reversed.
One Away - Good job! :-)
Barker's Bargain Bar - Nice! :-)
First day of the 36th season, and we had a perfect show! :-)  AWESOME! :biggrin:
SCSD 1 & 2 - A $1,000 winner on each SCSD! :-)  Cool! :biggrin:

I like the new set!  I think Drew's doing a good job as host, too!
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline odiedude

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »
Unfortunately I walked away from today's show with more negatives than positives. I have to agree with jokerz that Drew did not seem too enthused to be there. I guess I'm so used to Bob's range in tone - being able to tone it down and be dramatic when appropriate. It also seemed awkward how Drew referred to Rich as "Rich Fields" more times than Rich. Plus he said "Welcome back to The Price Is Right" after every commercial, which is something I think they'll change.

It was also sad that they changed the phraseology on the game where contestants usually say, "Ladies, do I have _ number(s) right?" Do they play a sound effect or actually honk the horn on the car?

On the bright side, I really like the new music.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »
You know, I can take a pretty good guess why CBS might've decided to air this episode first.

I have plenty more to talk about, plenty concerning Drew, but as I usually have in the past, I'm still starting with great contestants, like Aura.  She was, well, kinda' insane excited.  I'm not sure I was expecting that kind of reaction with Drew Carey as host.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised, though:  I mean, Drew Carey isn't exactly a no-name, and The Price is Right should be a happy, exciting show anyway.  She was an awesome contestant, and I was so happy she got to break It's in the Bag's non-winning streak!  I thought she had the last bag wrong, too.  Show's how little I know.

Speaking of It's in the Bag, I was a little surprised how quickly Drew hit the button to reveal the cat food.  Guess for Aura's own sanity, that's a good thing.

For what it's worth, Peggy was a lot of hyper fun, as well.  Hope that energy doesn't fizzle in other episodes.

It was really nice to see Drew mention the name of Barker's Bargain Bar on the air, specifically mentioning Bob.

"Oh, mighty sound effects person."  I like it.  Bob had his "Ladies, do I have at least one number right?"  Drew has his "Oh, mighty sound effects person, do I have one number right?"  Guess no more playing the question straight.  And it doesn't matter, and it's just me being ultra-nitpicky here, but I wonder why the "at least" was dropped.  Not that it really matters, just one of those things I noticed.

Another nice little Drew touch:  his way of casually stacking the Eazy az 1-2-3 blocks with Thomas!  Guess he can't do that when he gets a little old lady to play the game sometime in the future, but that was kinda' funny here.

And Yodel Man!  Sounds like a good enough name for him.

Bernard seemed a bit lost.  Picking 18 for the last two numbers in Money Game... he's lucky it was so set up to be won, what with 75 practically screaming "pick me!"  And then his spin in the showcase showdown... not sure what his strategy was with the puny spin.  Not like 95¢ was enough to win.

Speaking of Bernard's puny spin, the low point for Drew today:  I found Drew's explaining of the situation kinda' confusing, about that spin not counting.  I mean, we obviously know how it works, but I'm not sure everyone watching would've really followed what was happening.

And speaking of the showcase showdown, I guess no one can yell at contestants for "ruining" the moment with their shoutouts.  I mean, what with Drew actively encouraging them to give shoutouts.  The shoutouts usually didn't bother me, anyway.

Even some casual viewers may notice that the shows are not airing in the order they taped, considering the TV in the showcase.  I mean, since the TV showed a showcase showdown with Drew Carey, clearly not from today's show, even some non-loyal viewers could probably figure it out.

Darn.  Looks like the Mark Goodson logo is gone for good.  Guess if they were going to do it, now was the time to do it.

And the set... for the most part, it works.  I still miss the classic '83-'92 set, but this set seemed to have that certain flow, that... niceness.  The turntable area especially looked nice.  Did not like the new showcase podiums, though.  Don't like that their the same color, and don't like the design on them.  Still, for the most part, I can't really complain.

Quote from: jokerz
Where are the season 36 logo's and balloons?? Are we starting all over again and there isn't a season 36?? Is this season 1? I don't get it.

Well, it's kinda' hard to have a big celebration sort of thing when the shows aren't airing in order.  But aside from that, most seasons in years past haven't had big, ornate decorations proclaiming the current season, save for the season premiere.  Which, for understandable reasons, wasn't decorated for such this year.

Plus, take a close look at the Money Game board.  There's a reference there .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:27:19 PM by Frank15 »

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »
As I’ve said before, I was impressed with how well Drew was able to explain the games and interact with the contestants, despite some jokes that didn’t exactly click with the audience in one way or another.  I actually like that the show moves along a lot quicker, as I’ve heard people complain about how Drew speaks too fast when explaining the game.  I don’t exactly mind that so long as the contestant is aware of the rules of the game.  I’ll concede that the show certainly looked it would run really long after Money Game and It’s In the Bag.

I mentioned in my trip report that Drew repeatedly saying “Welcome back to the Price is Right” after each commercial gets annoying and I’d probably get used to it on TV…. Well I guess not, because it was just as annoying on TV than it is in the studio.  For the first week of tapings (you might notice this tomorrow), the audience actually applauds while Drew welcomes us back to the show before the next contestant is called.  I was not impressed by the Jib camera… it just seemed like they were panning the tops of people’s heads and not the audience.  Also,

On the other hand, the new theme sounds A LOT better on TV than it does in the studio.  Props to Edd Kalehoff for the new theme, the set looks much nicer on television, and the models were actually mentioned by name. 

Where are the season 36 logo's and balloons??
I highly doubt this was actually intended to be the Season Premiere… I think whoever was responsible for selecting the airdates for shows picked this show to be first because of the perfect show and the 2 $1000 bonuses.  Tomorrow’s show, which I was at, was more likely “planned” to be the season premiere in my opinion. Besides, why bother decorating the set when the entire set is new anyway? Perhaps they used this show because Drew made a passing mention of Bob on the show (The founder of BBB).

Offline notsoeasy

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 04:36:39 PM »
Well, Bob did advise the guy not to try to imitate him in his new hosting gig.  "Yodel guy" is certainly a sign that it's not happening.  On the other hand, some things about Price will never change (contestants excited to win prizes that most of us wouldn't have a clue what to do with).

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 04:44:47 PM »
With regards to the demise of "A Mark Goodson Television Production" --

Look at the sixth posting in the following thread (from TonySCV) --

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=3919.0

He says the following:

”Drew is the "star" of the Price is Right, and it's still a "Mark Goodson television production".

This was in reference to Drew’s very first show (which is NOT the one that aired today).  I wonder if Tony was mistaken?  If not, then I wonder if the powers-that-be have gone back to this episode and edited the credits so that they mention Fremantle instead?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:49:11 PM by asd2001 »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »
With regards to the demise of "A Mark Goodson Television Production" --

Look at the sixth posting in the following thread (from TonySCV) --

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=3919.0

He says the following:

”Drew is the "star" of the Price is Right, and it's still a "Mark Goodson television production".

This was in reference to Drew’s very first show (which is NOT the one that aired today).  I wonder if Tony was mistaken?  If not, then I wonder if the powers-that-be have gone back to this episode and edited the credits so that they mention Fremantle instead?

In the main forum, Marc said that for the first few weeks of taping it was a "Mark Goodson Television Production," but they went back and re-did the credits (or perhaps, we might see a mix of both for a while).
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »
Like many have said, it's going to take a while to get used to Drew's hosting style, because it is so different from Bob's.  There are a few kinks here and there, so it's not that smooth yet.

I'm not really thrilled about the set's diamond-in-a-circle theme, but I guess I'll get used to it.

I'm kind of annoyed that the FPG is now completely screwed up for the next few weeks.  :P

As for the show itself, I thought it was just a run-of-the-mill perfect show.  Nothing really special about it, apart from the Baggy win.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:01:31 PM by Jordanar18 »

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
Just got finished watching the show on DVR.  I enjoyed the new touches.  The set looks great, and it all feels fresh and new.

Mostly, I liked Drew's hosting style.  I like that he mentioned the models by name numerous times.  He seemed to have a grasp of the games, and I liked some of his touches, like appealing to the sound effects engineer during One-Away.

I really like Drew's personality, but he has a tendency to rush things.  There is definitely a need to go fast on TPIR, but sometimes Drew goes so fast, he trips over his words.  He was the same way on Whose Line.  In time, I think he will get his style down.  

Also, some here have talked about the lack of balloons or new-season decorations.  But, with all the changes already taking place, was there really a need to embellish with Season Premiere garnish?  It was fine the way it is.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline KENYATTA

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »
I think Drew will make a great host like it or not he's here to stay.

But I think that he can do without metioning the games because it gives the audience and the viewers the element of surprise but for the first show great all 6 games won!! :-D

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 05:06:33 PM »
In the main forum, Marc said that for the first few weeks of taping it was a "Mark Goodson Television Production," but they went back and re-did the credits (or perhaps, we might see a mix of both for a while).

Well, since today's show was taped within the first few weeks of taping (8/28), and it has the Fremantle credits, I'm guessing they've put those credits on all of the early shows...  :cry:

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 05:10:41 PM »
WHOO!  New season is finally here!

Opening:  WHOO jib camera!  I like the updated theme.  Love those bongo drums!  Gotta love Drew's interaction with Rich and the contestants in the row.

Money:  It's only the first show of the season and I think we already have an historic first.  I don't think any contestant has ever run from the turntable to a car before the game is even revealed.  It appears as though 36 is gonna be a mainstay in the Rose Marie spot this season, much like 35 was a mainstay last season.

One-Bid #2:  Oooh... verbal interaction with the models as well.  Nice!  I believe that this show is in good hands with Drew.

Cliffy:  "Yodel Man"... interesting name for Hans.  Easy setup, too.

Baggy:  That $8.95 bag was difficult.  I'm not surprised that Aura and the audience had such a hassle with it.  But once she got that bag right, everything else was a breeze to the $16,000.  Nice to see this game won outright for the first time in almost two years.  Perfect first half for Drew's daytime debut!

SCSD #1:  WHOO :cash: $1,000! :cash:  Updated "Dig" cue, too.

Sleazy:  Either the ski equipment or the clock could have been the most expensive.   Thomas definitely earned that win.

One-Bid #5:  WHOO BHEN! :-D

Away:  Nice to see that the S35 sprays are still being used.  Sounds like "Oh, mighty sound effects person" is gonna be the new catchphrase for this PG.  Drew even corrected Amor when she tried to leave out that title.  Pretty easy win when we established that she had only two numbers right the first time around.

BBB:  Yep, Barker's name is staying on the games.  Ezekiel Barker... LOL!  And a PERFECTO to usher in Drew's first show on CBS!

SCSD #2:  WHOO another :cash: $1,000! :cash:  Can this show get any better?  It can with a DSW.  I don't wanna say that there's no chance in hell that a DSW will happen.  I said that on last year's season premiere, then a DSW happened. :P

Nice to see that the More or Less font is getting an additional use.

My showcase bids:
Random room/ :frbs: --$15,398 (GARF)
:frts: --$27,176 ( :dsw: )

Ending:  Boo urns... the Mark Goodson logo is gone.

On a scale of 1-10, I give Drew an 8.5.  I'm impressed with his performance so far.  Can't wait until tomorrow!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:12:58 PM by BRB_TheFireball »
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Footix

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »
First off, Drew was every bit as good as folks have been saying on this forum - I really think this show is in good hands for the future.

Also, the "new" set was nice - unlike the last attempt to relaunch TPiR (TNPiR '94), this still looks like The Price is Right. The new theme wasn't as noticable on are as the new Walking and Dig We Must, both of which I liked.

Now, on to today's games:
Money Game - Played pretty well, except for trying 18 as the back half.
Cliff Hangers - I can't remember the last time I've seen this game played this well, and Drew was really having fun with it.
IITB - Always nice to see my favourite game won, although Drew still needs to learn the "last bag tease."
Easy As 123 - I called it!
One Away - I called it again! That was an EXACTA for me.
Barker's Bargain Bar - Again, Drew was having fun with this, and I hope to see a running joke evolve from this.
Showcases - I wish I could say I did as well on the showcases as on today's games - I GARFed the jetski showcase, and nearly GARFed the FRTS.

All in all, this was a great "premiere that wasn't really a premiere," and really fills me with optimism for a fun season.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »
I just finished watching the show via tape and I gotta say it was not bad for a first show with Drew host. Yes, there were a few rough spots during the show. The only thing I didn't like was that during the second SC while Rachel was modeling the TV they showed an episode of course with Drew during a SCSD that we haven't even seen yet. Of course the episodes were showing out of order. What a way to start off the new season with perfect show #77. Plus 2 $1,000 winners in the SCSD's. The one thing that hasn't changed is my selections for which contestants should go to the SC's. My picks were Peggy and Thomas. Peggy made it but Thomas didn't.  :-( Well Drew was rather patient towards contestants who took too much time making up their decision. Though he did told Aura during her IITB (It's In the Bag) win that time's a wasting. But he was pretty calm about it. I'm sure with a lot more polishing I'm sure Drew will have everything under control since he's now the star of the show. In any event kudos to him on his first show.