Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007  (Read 38115 times)

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 05:26:56 PM »
I'm just going to say that Drew has a lot of work to do. Very clever how they chose a perfect show to be their first one aired. The biggest problem today though was the fact that it didn't feel like a season premiere. Even with the new set and all, they should've had some sort of celebration decorations around the set. My thoughts and opinions on Drew are all in the Talk is Right thread if anyone wants to see what I think of Drew. I hope it improves.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
It was very odd seeing someone besides Bob walk out through the doors.  Drew did a good job, and with time and practice, will get better.  Maybe changing his voice tone from time to time and not giving away what prize is behind the door are the only suggestions I have.

Offline strongbad

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 05:36:59 PM »
Instant thoughts as I watched the show:

I sit here in pure excitement waiting for the new episode of The Price is Right to begin.  I've been telling all my friends and co-workers all day about this, some of them have known for days about it too.  I rushed home from work, leaving promptly at 4pm (couldn't take a vacation day), and was home within 20 minutes - required talking to traffic light to either turn green or stay green, running a red light and hopefully not running out of gas, as my gas light was on in my car (obligatory speeding included).  I have no idea what to expect with Drew; I almost feel like I'm going to a taping rather than watching it on tv.  Must get rid of the beeping that is the answering machine nearby.  Hope the dogs don't bark either.  Here we go!!!!!  Here's to hoping that the DVR worked....*praying hard*   crap had to go in my own room to watch since roommate is now home and don't want her or the dogs to bother me.  Ugh. Roommate bugging me again.  Tacky commercials now airing....TPIR is coming....heart is racing....

Interesting theme music....not sure if i like....like the jib cam.....colors are ok in the studio....don't like the dance music theme....may take some time to grow on me....didn't think i'd like the purple, but it's not so bad...same excitement level on the show, which is definently good....did that lady just bid 22000 on a fridge?  drew seems like fun, i think it's gonna be ok.  still seems weird hearing "drew" instead of "bob"....the liberal use of the jib cam could get old....definently like the new big doors....just checked the golden-road.net, like the new look...hoping she goes for $16K....come on.....do it!  man she is draggin this out....GO!  GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!   don't like the neon around the doors....dang, $1 on the season premiere!  on drew's first show.  BOOOOOOOO!!!!  that was weak!  can't get the wheel all the way around....nope...no money for peggy....drew calls out rich by his full name, for some reason.  "Oh mighty sound effects person"?  Odd.  Change the last 3 numbers, piece o cake!  Winnah!  Can we have a perfect show for Drew's first show????   Barker's Bargain Bar...nice that they kept the name for Bob....Ezekiel!  LOL!  Perfecto???  PERFECTO!!!!  The contestants NAOS cue is different...me no like....77th perfect show....1st of the Carey Era...$1 AGAIN?!  CRAZY!  I predict a DSW!   Like the podiums!  $16K on the first showcase.  $40K on the 2nd showcase.  Fun first show, glad Carey kept Bob's signoff...WHY DID THEY GET RID OF THE MARK GOODSON LOGO!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts now:  cut Drew some slack.  Yes, he's familiar with how a TV show works, but come on, he hasn't had a whole lot of time to learn the show and all the games, rules, intracacies, etc.  Yes it was a bit rushed, but I think he'll get it figured out.  Barker was quite a bit faster when he started as well.  I think it will all come around.  I'm just glad the new season started, but I'm not so sure about how the music was changed.  I kind of wish they would have left it alone.  I do like the color scheme on stage, but I'm not entirely sold on the color scheme in the audience....a little too bright, in my book...I'll keep watching though. 

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »
I missed this site after a week and it feels good to be back, after 4 months, giving my two cents about an episode of Price.

I personally like the fact that today's show was nothing special, just another normal episode of TPIR.  After all, it began with a then-average prize budget back in 1972, I felt it was very dignified for Drew to start on a subtle note.

I personally liked Drew, he had great interaction with the contestants and Rich.  I also like the fact he calls the models by their first names now instead of one collective term.  Despite the jitters one may have when doing a new job, I feel that Drew will grow into this job and make his own niche in Price's history.

I personally like how more "festive" the Walking cue is and how the new theme is more upbeat.  It is kind of like how one compares the 1976 and 1988 versions of The Feud.

As I said earlier this month, the set looks awesome.  We have lights on the turntable for the first time since 1982 and the Fourth Giant Price Tag looks awesome also; updated for the first time in 17 years and the show's logo in Pricedown returns after that same length of time.

Bernard was fun to watch, running over to see the Jeep when they revealed it.  I wonder why he thought that 18 was the last two numbers in the price.  It's great that, like Bob's first show, Drew's first show had a car win to start things off.

The top middle space on the Money Game board has been replaced with 36-a coincidence to have the season number there?  Just like how 94 was a choice on Money Game on the first ep of TnPIR 1994.

The "Yodel Man" bit in Cliff Hangers was hilarious.  There was an easy setup here, and it was played pretty well by Peggy.  I wonder if she read about the 20-30-40 strategy or whatever somewhere...

I'm suprised CBS did not air a episode with Plinko in it for the season premiere, as that is the most popular game amongst casual viewers and would generate a season opener-worthy audience reaction.  But kudos for Aura for winning It's In the Bag, she was a bit nervous in the game and, thanks to the audience convincing her to change her mind about the $8.95 bag, she ended IITB's losing streak.  The last time we had a $16K win was on February 17, 2006-the same day Tyra Banks was a guest model.

I kinda' do not like Pricedown for money wins in the SCSD.  I assume that the font will carry over to Grand Game and Punch A Bunch's $10,000 wins.  I like to see the fonts different for different moments on the show, the 1993-2007 font for money wins will be missed dearly by me.  

Personally, I thought Eazy Az 1-2-3 was hard today.  I am willing to bet that most people would have thought that the clock would be more expensive than the ski equipment.  Kudos to whoever convinced Thomas to place the #3 block on the ski equipment.

I died when Drew said for Amor to ask "The almighty sound effects person" in One Away.  I think it will take some time for Drew to realize that if a certain number is right, in today's case the 9, then we know that the contestant won.

I kinda' laughed at the Ezekiel Barker bit in Barker's Bargain Bar.  I also liked the fact that they did a closeup of the sign, something that has not been done in a while.

It looks like the silver border of the showcase podiums was taken off a hot dog cart.

I was very disappointed to see that the "A Mark Goodson Television Production" statement and logo were retired.

Overall, a pretty decent way to begin Season 36 and I hope Drew does a great job for the rest of the season and hopefully we will have more great wins!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:49:02 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Well, I got to see this after figuring out how to use the VCR; no I'm not old, it's just that danged new-1980s technology.  :)

Noticed right away, the new music.  The new main theme, I like.  The new Dig we Must (Showdown), I like.  The new COD and CNAOS music, not so much.  The COD is too "fiesta" for me, and the CNAOS Plug music is just a too radical change for me.

Thoughts on Drew, some of his quirks especially how he throws every COD or prize plug with "...Rich Fields...," although it's nice he's mentioning the models by name now which is helpful to occasional viewers like me.  I'm also not a fan of how he pretty much spoiled half the games with either "did you drive here?" and "do your best yodeling voice."  However, that one I can live with more easily than the other one.  Other than those, I'm warming up to the new style already and I hope to enjoy seeing more episodes with him getting better over time (hopefully even me joining him on stage; I can imagine him asking if "I drove here" even though I'm all the way on the East Coast.   :P )

The change to One Away's famous line was a bit of a shock to me at first, I'm thinking this might change every time.

(Following Game #6) My thoughts: "Yeah, this was a totally random episode aired first..."  :oldlol:

And add me to the list who is sad to see the Mark Goodson ID gone; if it were up to me, I'd just have "This is RF speaking for TPIR." and have either the TPIR logo + copyright or cut directly to the FM logo.

So long!

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 06:27:58 PM »
Time to get started.

First, I was overall impressed with the set design and music edits (more percussion it seems). I like the way that the three big doors are colored differently. I also liked the way he greeted the first four contestants as he came to them. It kind of reminded me of clips I have seen from the 70s or 80s.

Money Game -- Good win, though I have to question the decision to pick $18. Mabey he wanted more money? :-D Remember, always listen to your wife! :lol:

Cliffhangers -- I knew from the moment he asked Peggy to yodel that she was going to play Cliffhangers. It kind of ruined it for me, and I hope he doesn't make stuff like that a habit. As for the playing, it was pretty good. It did look easy, what with $20, $30, and $40.  :oldlol:

It's In The Bag -- After much goading from the audience (and me :biggrin: ), Aura finally changed the second bag to the Aspercreme. I do have to admit, though, that I would have messed the second bag up (but I probably would have stopped at $8,000, anyway). I really wanted her to stop, and I was really upset when she decided to go on, but it turned out well in the end. I like how Drew kindly guided her by the hand over to the bag. Real nice.

Showcase Showdowns -- Apparently, a universal CC plug has been set for both Showcase Showdowns, again, something that reminds me of olde time Price. Also, $1,000 on the first spin (and $1,000 in the second Showcase Showdown, as well) was the cherry on the cake.

Easy Az 123 -- Again, I thought the contestant messed up, and I was proven wrong (meaning I would have messed up  :oops: ).

Item Up for Bids 6 -- 1K! :lol:

One Away (the 5th pricing game was One Away, Joe ;) ) -- An easy playing that would have been hard to lose (but possible). When it was revealed that Amor had 2 right, I pretty much knew what the price was, and that she won. The whole "all mighty sounds person-whatever" thing will take some getting used to, but I think I'll manage. Also, am I the only one a little annoyed that he gave away the car games by asking if the contestants drove there?

Barker's Bargain Bar -- Again, this was an easy playing. A perfect show makes the day.

Showcases -- My main complaint here is that, in my opinion, the new Showcase podiums look awful. The way Drew said the pet population close-off sounded a little weird, but we really don't want him to imitate Bob.

Also, the disappearance of the Mark Goodson logo was a little dissettling for me. However, times have changed, I guess.

All and all, a good start. I was like a kid in a candy store waiting for this, and now that I have it, I can't wait to see more!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:33:14 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline Brian500

• 3/22/07
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 06:37:54 PM »

And add me to the list who is sad to see the Mark Goodson ID gone; if it were up to me, I'd just have "This is RF speaking for TPIR." and have either the TPIR logo + copyright or cut directly to the FM logo.

I noticed they didn't mention Mark Goodson too.  Is the Mark Goodson company no longer associated with the show?  Another thing I've thought about for many years....  When did they stop saying "A Mark Goodson, Bill Toddman production"?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:41:20 PM by Brian500 »
I played "Now Or Then" and won my game which made me the LAST contestant on Bob's LAST perfect show.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 07:23:39 PM »
Brian 500 wrote:
I noticed they didn't mention Mark Goodson too.  Is the Mark Goodson company no longer associated with the show?  Another thing I've thought about for many years....  When did they stop saying "A Mark Goodson, Bill Toddman production"?

Mark Goodson Productions ceased to exist in 1994, when son Jonathon and family sold the company to pay a real estate tax.  The distribution rights for the G-T shows was owned at first All American Television, then Pearson Television, then FremantleMedia.  Most of the revivals of G-T shows of the late-1990s and 2000s continued to use the MGP logo with or without the announcement.

After Bill Todman died in 1979, the company was still called "Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Productions" until 1982 when it was changed to "Mark Goodson Television Productions".  Price started to use the then-new "A Mark Goodson Television Production" in April, 1984.

Through special permission from Fremantle, Price continued to use the announcement at the end until this year.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:27:20 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline John92

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP COMING - TPiR 10/15/2007
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
The Sound Effects were digitally remastered.

The Cliffhangers yodel was remastered in stereo.

Rich Fields' new opening speil is:

"Here it Comes! From CBS Television City in Hollywood! Welcome to Season 36 of TV's most exciting hour of fantastic prizes, the fabulous 60-minute price is right!"

(INSERT FOUR NAMES)

"You are the first four contestants on THE PRICE IS RIGHT!"

And now, here is the new star of the price is right.......DREW CAREY!!!

Drew: For Rich Fields, I'm Drew Carey saying see you tomorrow for more of The Price is Right, and remember help control the pet population. Have your pet's spayed or neutred.

Barker's Bargain Bar should be replaced with "BARGAIN BAR"
Makers should replaced with "MAKE YOUR MARK"
Trader Bob should be replaced with "TRADER DREW"

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 07:41:17 PM »
At first, I felt like I was in a different country with the change of host/set.  It will take a few shows to get used to it.

New music - Heard a lot more percussion. Definite upgrade at the start.

The set - very different, very vibrant colors.

Drew - I'm sure he will have some Carey-isms as time goes on.  Good choice to host the show.  But, just call Rich by his first name please.

Positives - 1) Perfect show.  2) The model interaction.  We haven't heard so much of their names on one show.  I wonder what could happen when the prize comes up on stage.  Could the model actually say something???  3) Yeah, Ezekiel Barker, yodel man, and the sound person thing - very funny.

Negatives - 1) Jib camera.  Anyone noticed that the first four announcement went a little fast.  The third person was still in the aisle when the fourth name was called.  2) Fremantle - It felt like a stadium which has had it's name for thirty or forty years, then the next day, a corporation sticks its name on it.  More like "Whoa."

Overall, It was a good way to start off the year.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:44:58 PM by saturn93 »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2007, 07:42:41 PM »
John92 wrote:
Trader Bob should be replaced with "TRADER DREW"

Dude, Trader Bob has been retired for almost 22 years and the show does not resurrect retired games.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:44:25 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline wheelingtunnel

• In the Audience
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »
COMMENTS ON TPIR 10/15/07:

1.  ON DREW HIMSELF:  I believe, IMO, CBS picked the right person for the new host.  Drew should be right at home for TPIR.

2.  CLIFF HANGERS:  Peggy played the game well.   If you dont miss by very much on guessing the prices, more often than not, you'll win this game.

3.  IT'S IN THE BAG:  I didn't expect that $8.95 price for those Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls.

4.  BARKERS BARGAIN BAR:  OOPS! Somebody forgot to change the name of the game.   And, thanks to good playing by Gregory, we have a PERFECT SHOW!  Looks like Drew's starting off on the right foot.

5.  SHOWCASE:  No matter who the host is, a reasonable bid, like Amor's, will get you a Showcase.

6.  REMOVAL OF MARK GOODSON LOGO:  Remember, Mark Goodson Productions was acquired by FremantleMedia several years ago (I don't know exactly when they did so).

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »
wheelingtunnel wrote:
I didn't expect that $8.95 price for those Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls.

$8.95 was the price of the Aspercreme Patch, the Swiss Cake Rolls were $1.39, there is a typo in the recap.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:57:00 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »
New Come on Down cue = eh. New theme = AWESOME.

Bernard running up to the Jeep in Money Game was absolutely hilarious, mainly because we're used to seeing that after the contestant wins. :lol:

Man... I almost forgot what a $16K win in Bag looked like. Good to see.

Very nice to see that it's still BARKER'S Bargain Bar. :-)

A hottie winning $1K on the wheel and becoming today's champion? Just some more awesome things about today's great opener.

We already knew that we were in good hands with Drew after seeing him on Power of 10, but it was good to finally see him in action. I think he did a great job.

HOTTIES*: #1, Amor :-D
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Aura
SHOW GRADE: 4

*Since TPIR's on Innertube now, I'm going to get my screencaps from there because it'll look better. So from now on, hottie screencaps won't be up until at least 6PM (ET).

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »
OOPS! Somebody forgot to change the name of the game.
Doubtful. It was probably left intact deliberately.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 08:06:06 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]