Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007  (Read 38119 times)

Offline apeminkie

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GRECO
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2007, 12:02:47 AM »
Let's see how long I can keep my recaps comments going this season, and start with a few "QUOTENT QUOTABLES!"

"Drewwwwwwwwwwww Carey!" -- Rich Fields, announcing Drew Carey's entrance from the Big Doors to kick off the 36th Season.

During the second Item Up For Bids One-Bid round...
Drew:  Aura!
Aura:  Twenty-five hundred two hundred.
Drew:  What's that?
Aura:  Two thousand, five hundred and sixty.

"O Mighty Sound Effects Person, do I have one number right?" -- Amor, during her playing of One Away, the fifth Pricing Game on the episode.

"Now, $2,299 is not the price of the computer--that's the bargain price.  This is 'Barker's Bargain Bar,' named after the founder of The Price is Right, Ezekiel Barker!" -- Drew, when describing Barker's Bargain Bar to contestant Gregory, who would make the 77th perfect show by winning.

"Don't forget to keep the pet population down.  Spay and neuter your pets.  Thanks for watching everybody!  See you next time...bye!" -- Drew, upon closing the show.
Lest we forget about the most famous of Barkerisms, this next segment is a tribute by calling "AN HISTORIC MOMENT" when I see one.

Thomas Plough is the name of the first contestant ever called down (in terms of the broadcast order) during the Drew Carey era!

Not only that, Qudira became the first contestant in the HISTORY of the Price is Right to be named Qudira!
Of course in these upcoming weeks, we all can note everything that Drew is doing differently or wrong.  But in this segment, I'll provide a great reason for Drew to think "WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO!?"

Today's instance is plain and simple:  Aura.

After her One-Bid incident (quoted above), Aura found her way on stage, but only after performing her hot new dance called the "Whiplash".  And when Rich announced her opportunity to win $16,000 (or 16K as contestant Flang might say), she performed a cartwheel-flippy-thingy the Russian judges would've given a one-point-eight.  Finally, after going for the big win after ignoring the audience's cries to stop at $8,000, Aura collapsed on the floor after celebrating her victory with another crazy dance.
Great performance.  But even though I found you slightly annoying, Aura, you are qualified for the "CONTESTANT OF THE DAY" award!

As annoying as it may be sometimes, the show needs more livewires like you, Aura...

And there's always tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:09:29 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2007, 12:08:20 AM »
I was impressed with Drew's first day. As for the wins, great job on all contestants. On It's In The Bag, I was unsure of that cat food. She manages to pull it off.

BTW: Forgive me for not posting here as often as I used to.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2007, 01:16:50 AM »
Drew Carey was pretty good in hosting this show.  I especially liked the new set!

To the show proper:

Money Game: I did not understand Bernard's guess of 18 as the back half of the Jeep.  However he still won---$19,875----that setup was not that bad.

Cliffhangers: Calling Hans "yodelman?"  I like it.  As for the playing--2 exactas on the SPs! 

It's In The Bag: Aura had a tough time with the $8.95 bag---first she places the snack rolls on there, much to the disapproval of "THEM."  Drew was definitely nice enough to let Aura change her mind twice---she eventually settled on the Aspercreme patch---very easy for a regular Golden-Road.net member who watches the show a lot, but not for those who don't watch the show or who watch the show only a few times.
Aura did take a long time on the last bag---it was definitely nerves.  She had a lot of guts to go for it and I liked her reaction when she won the $16,000.  Way to break the losing streak!

Easy as 1-2-3: I agreed with the contestant on his choices--he won! 

One Away: I did not like Amor's first price on the Focus---even the Peanut Gallery disapproved.  She gets two right---and she took quite a while to make up her decision on which numbers to change.  She still won anyways!

Barkers Bargain Bar: I chose the computer and lost.  Good win by the contestant--he chose the desk---shows how much I know.  PERFECT SHOW!

Showcases: Amor made a great bid!  She won over $45,000 in cash and prizes today!

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2007, 03:29:19 AM »
I've been a member of Golden-Road.net for a few years now, but I don't think I've ever posted in a recap thread before.  I wanted to chime in with my thoughts about the changes to the show.  So here's my thoughts on the S36 after day one:

SET - When we got a glimpse of these over the summer, I was a little unsure.  I liked the doors, but wasn't too keen on the turntable area.  Having seen the show today, I think it works well.  The background wall of the turntable looks really odd without lights going all the way to the top.  I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I actually like the cream color above the big door borders (and at the "black hole" between the turntable rear and door #1) with various lights shining on it.  I'm not as big of a fan on the audience curtains, as they seem too pale compared to the bold colors on the new set.  I'm like the new seat covers in the front row, but still wish they said "The Price Is Right" across them.  The showcase podiums seem a bit weird; I think they would look better if the G-T asterisks had remained and the "hot dog cart" trim had been goldish instead of silver, but the use of the More or Less font is okay.  Overall, I'm generally pleased with the set changes.  I like the look with Drew as host, but Bob would really look out of place here.

MUSIC - I really like the new Come On Down and Main themes.  They're fresh but not too different to be unrecognizable or sounding totally off.  However, I think the new Dig We Must cue in the Showcase Showdown seems like it skips a few seconds or a few notes compared to the original...this will take some getting used to, but isn't too bad.  The new CNAOS cue just seems like a vamp of the new main theme...I haven't warmed up to it yet since the previous theme is one of my favorites.  Was there a new theme used on the show during a one-bid (possibly the hammock)?...one cue I heard today didn't sound familiar to me at all.

DIRECTION - The crane/jib camera needs work.  It seems like they're having trouble finding the person called during random panning of the audience.  And it feels like we're flying over the audience instead of looking at them...the old camera angles seemed a little more intimate.  Definitely an unnecessary change IMO.  But I did enjoy how there seems to be more focus and time on the contestant reactions (especially after the games going into commercial), and I hope this continues.  If only we could get an on-camera calldown for Rich...

LOGO - I enjoy the new logo.  However, I don't like how it appears in the opening.  I'm mixed on the way it flies on-screen in pieces (as opposed to the standard zoom-in), but the red/orange shapes should definitely be filled in and not outlined.  Interesting to see last season's logo at the end of the credits.

CLOSING - I agree with practically everyone  loss of the "Mark Goodson Television Production" logo and announcement is just sad.

And finally, DREW CAREY - Ever since I saw his announcement on the Late Show, I've been wondering how he'd be.  Once I saw Power of 10, I knew he would be okay.  Seeing today's show confirmed that assumption--he was better than I expected for an early-season show.  I know he's still a bit rocky, but I think Drew will settle to the host role just fine.  I think he's got to work on his reveals as he's giving away too much about the prizes/games ahead of time (and that "how'd you get here" bit ain't gonna fly for long).  Drew will also need to work on varying his toss to commercial ("We'll be right back...don't go away") and welcome back ("Welcome back to The Price Is Right"); although, he did both of these fairly frequently on Whose Line.  Some of the interaction with Rich seemed a bit weird (calling him 'Rich Fields' instead of 'Rich"), but I did like how Drew mentioned Rich a bit more by name.  That also goes towards Drew calling each of the models by name more than once (although it seemed to go a bit far).  It seems like Drew is comfortable interacting with the contestants and in the role of host.  It also seems like he's putting a few subtle touches on to make the show his own, but they're not too far out of pace with things Bob used to do.  I like that he shows some more enthusiasm and seems to be genuinely happy when the contestants win.  I didn't expect Drew to be like Bob right out of the gate, but I think he's doing okay.  He's just got to get more comfortable with the mechanics of the show staging and with the game explanations, and he'll be just fine.

Comments on Innertube service: I'm not always able to see/tape the shows as they air due to my college schedule and lack of cable TV/decent antenna reception.  So I'm thrilled to be able to watch episodes same day via Innertube.  Innertube shows the regular-style credit roll (as opposed to the compressed split-screens used on air), but we don't see the closed caption plug.  They also show about 3 commercial clips per show, so you can watch the whole show in about 42 minutes instead of the 60 used watching on CBS itself.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »
I got the day off from my job to watch the whole show and I was impressed but not all of it; but I agree with other used Drew will be great and will improve since he does two shows on two different coasts as long as he still host his other show "Power of 10."     ;)

I do not like however the beginning of the show where the camera angles above and all over the audience when they come down to the contestants row, it's already annoying watching those angles during some football games on TV! 

The first thing Drew said was ..."Price Is Right, the Happiest Place on Earth!"  I wonder if Disney is aware of what was aid and if the quote is copyrighted it they can do something about it?  I expected them to give away Disney park trip on the show for that comment, but they didn't. 

The contestants needs to calm themselves and not jump all over the stage or do something stupid like that girl who won "In the Bag" falling on the floor! 

Drew didn't say to the contestants what the rules are in the showcase or if they're less than $250.00 (is it still?) he/she wins both showcases; probably due to timing but would've been Ok.  Didn't like the ending of the show neither too much, used to "Mark Goodson..."   :-x

Anyone contact me at awesomeann777@yahoo.com or IM at afdisneyfreak

Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »
Drew didn't say to the contestants what the rules are in the showcase or if they're less than $250.00 (is it still?) he/she wins both showcases;
Yes, by way of today's show.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline moopster33

• Outside in Line
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2007, 03:48:39 PM »
Set is great, music updates are good, and I want to point out something I liked that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's Drew saying he wished they had a bonus for guessing the exact price in Cliff Hangers.  Nice touch.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2007, 07:18:26 PM »
Basically, you guys have already said everything that I wanted to say, so I'll say this.  It was good.  It could be better and it will get better.

The loss of the Goodson Productions plug is a little disappointing, but it's not the end of the world.  The show is still basically the same and I intend to keep watching the show for years to come.

I can't wait 'till June when I'm eligible to "come on down".  Will the show still be taping around June 3, or will summer hiatus likely have begun?

Hey, when is power of 10 coming back?  If it's coming back.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2007, 07:28:13 PM »
Man, I've been waiting so long to see this episode, having to wait another day since yesterday.  All I can say it was well worth the wait.

I really like the new set.  The curtains kind of remind me of the shade used back in the 70s, and I like how the one-bid podiums went back to non-marbled ones.  It's nice to finally see a logo on the turntable itself.  The music blew me back.  It sounds way different from the original one.  I really liked the opening music; the other new music I'll have to get used to.

Money Game-I'm glad they started Drew's era with a game from 1972.  Don't know why Bernard picked 18 as the last 2 numbers, but he got the last 2 on the 2nd pick.  Bernard becomes the first contestant and winner in Drew's era (at least by airdate).

Cliffhangers-The old 20, 30, 40 setup.  No trouble for Peggy at all.  "Yodel Guy"; nice!

It's in the Bag-What, no Plinko?Man, I thought Aura was a goner here as soon as she wanted to put the Phillips in the $2,000 bag.  That was nice that Drew let her change her mind.  That was a bit agonizing to watch as she made up her mind on the last bag.  Stop the presses, folks!  Someone actually won $16,000!  :-P

SCSD #1-Cool, a new graphic as well.  And we get a $1,000 winner already!

Eazy az 1 2 3-I thought this was hard, thinking that the clock was more expensive than the ski equipment.  Thomas got some good advice from someone, and it payed off.

One Away-Ha, I loved it when Drew made Amor say "O Mighty Sound Effects Guy," and even corrected her when she didn't.  Another win!

Ezekiel's Bargain Bar-An easy setup.  Woohoo, a perfect show to start the season; that's how you do it!

SCSD #2-Another $1,000 winner on a day with lots of winners!

Darn, the Mark Goodson logo is gone.  It was great while it lasted, though.

Finally, there was Drew.  I'm so used to seeing Bob host that it looked really different to see someone else hosting.  Nevertheless, he did a really great job!  It was nice to see him put his own twists on Cliffhangers, One Away (favorite so far), Bargain Bar, and the closing (he even left the spay and neuter plug in there, which was really nice).  Just one or two things I didn't like, but overall it was really great for his second week on the job.  Price is Right looks great, and it looks like it's got a great future!
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline wheelingtunnel

• In the Audience
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 10:28:32 PM »
There is one thing I would like to add, and it is as follows:

I should clarify that Price continued to use the logo and announcement of "A Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production" until April, 1984. 

During that time, Goodson-Todman actually did have a logo similar to the current MGP logo, but the only place it was actually used was on the home versions of the game shows they produced.

Also, I recall watching a state lottery game show that MGP produced, and on that show, they used a version of the MGP logo that said "MARK GOODSON PRODUCTIONS-NEW YORK/HOLLYWOOD".

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »
Finally....The new season is underway!!!!! HERE.......WE........GO!!!!!!!

The set: The doors are ultra-cool. Even though I think the yellow door has something of a "cream corn" look. :oldlol: Contestants' Row looks awesome. The same for the Carey wall and the audience curatins. But it's the turntable I have mixed feelings about. The bad news is it's not the shape we all remember it and it looks a little weird that way. The addition of the logo and the old skool lights around it is just fine. The showcase podiums are also a tad weird. The shape is still the same, but it just looks odd with yellow and green.

The COD and show theme: Well, I did have a slight prediction that they would both be remixed. But I'm glad, It's not all screwed up like the current "Family Feud" theme. I'll accept that.

On with the show:

Money: Bernard should've known not to choose 18 as the back of the car. But he redeemed himself and got a new Jeep.

Cliff: Pamela was a natural with the "Yodel Guy". :-D

IITB: Aura was a BLAST!!!! It was high drama when she couldn't decide if she wanted to go for $16K or stop. But she made the right decision and wins COTD honors from me, too.

SCSD #1: $1K win and cool new graphic!!!

Easy: With that setup, It looked like a predicted loss was in store, but Thomas crushed that.

One Away: Aura won that car very well and I'm sure she gave the "O Mighty Sound Effects Guy" thanks, too . :-D

BBB: It's good to see one game still carrying the Barker name in it, even if his name is not Ezekiel.  :-D A very simple setup and we have a PERFECT SHOW to kick off the year!!!! :pint:

SCSD #2: More Money!!!! YES!!!

Showcases: Aura takes a home a good pile for the 1st show of a new era.

And now my take on Drew: I never thought that I would ever in my life would see anyone but Bob walikng out of the doors at the beginning of TPIR. We all knew that it would happen somewhere down the line that someone else would. When Drew made his entrance, I started accepting it and he started thing off fairly well. His interaction with the contestants is just fine. I know he may have looked a little nervous, but he gave it his best shot. His interaction with Rich and the models is perfect. The only thing that needs to be worked on is saying something else when the commercial break is over other than "Welcome back to The Price is Right". I'm glad he's continuing the spay/neuter plug. Drew will do his best and I wish him all the luck in the world as he continues TPIR as the fresh show we grew up with.

One Big Major Con: The disappearance of the Mark Goodson logo. :-o :cry: You know, I don't care about who owns the show now. It's still a Mark Goodson Production to me, PERIOD.

This is a 5 out of 5 star show.  :-)

Offline stormy41992

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I'll Miss You Bob!
    • TV & Game Shows
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
this show was great. Drew was great, and i was very impressed. i was a little shocked that Plinko wasnt played first though. even so, the show was great overall.

5/5.
STORMY'S STATS FOR HIS 2ND SEASON OF CSS: [Wins: 0] [Top 10/5 Finishes: 3/1] [DSWs: 0] [Overbids/WSDs: 0/0] [Lowest SC Difference: $857] [Games Played: 6] [Current No-OVER Streak: 6]
SCORE OF THE FIRST EVER "FRIENDLY" RIVALRY: Stormy41992 - 2////cu2010 - 2