Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/16/2007  (Read 32065 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/16/2007
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:55:41 PM »
Well, today's show was decent in my opinion.

I don't know why the opening titles were black. What is this, Halloween?

I was suprised that Golden Road was played with no dots on the floor.  It was very nice to see a new Viper offered at the end, but the set looked so bland without the dots.  I can understand that the producers do not want to spoil the game for the audience, but the removal of the dots just abases the game.  I was afraid Drew would break the covers of the price holders when he flipped them so quickly.  Too bad that Nathanel did not know about the repeating digits rule and lost.

On another note, couldn't they have staged the piano in one of the turntables instead of door #1?  

Well, what CBS released online a few days ago was seen in its entirety today.  Marie was very excited to be on stage and her saying she needs to use the restroom will definintely go down as one of the best moments in Drew's tenure.  After Marie got two $10,000 hts in a row, I was hoping that she would break the curse and hit the $10,000 slot once more.  A treat is that Drew got to use the Plinko Stick, but he put it back in its holder after he used it, interesting.

Dexter was very energetic when he came on down, and he played Clock Game very well.  I wish Drew would mention the $1,000 bonus after he explained the rules instead of after Dexter won the sofa because it just seems more sense to do so; in addition, it gets the audience and contestant excited about the game, it's a good thing he changed his gameplay after counting down by small dollar amounts at first.

I do not like to see one font unified for all money wins on the show.  Heck, even the first $1,000 "zero clocks" graphic for Clock Game looked better than the Pricedown one!  I also prefer Plinko's old $50,000 graphic to the Pricedown one.  I guess I will be placing It's In The Bag on a higher level above other cash games as it has its own money win graphic in a unique font.  I wonder if the show will leave the win graphic in ½ Off alone...

Personally, I think shout-outs should only be given on the SCSD, not before games as it kinda wastes time for more interaction later on in the show.

Double Prices was very easy today, there is no way a trip to Bangkok would be less than $5,000.  The "shazaam" bit was interesting.

Well, Drew played Bob's first (and last) game today and I liked how Drew mentioned it was not so bad to win some telephones.  I should note that this will be one of the last appearances of the Pontiac Grand Prix on Price, as Pontiac will discontinue the model after the 2008 model year and replace it with the new G8 early next year.

Look out for that spinning turntable Drew! :lol: The game that indirectly injured Drew was played.  The plugs for the products were so dang generic, though.  I laughed when Janet said "Drew, Jesus, somebody." when she was in awe that she was on stage.  She was a pretty smart shopper and won with only two products.

Wow, the offerings on today's show were high-end with a Lincoln Navigator in the showcase.  I feel sorry for Marie, after winning $20,200 in Plinko, and she was so excited to win big.  She had a painful overbid, but I don't think she felt to bad about leaving with a lot of money in her pocket.

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »
Plinko: I half expected here to actually let lose on stage. :oldlol:
She did. There was an edit between the graphic and the plinko board... which was about 30-45 seconds IIRC.

And why did Drew wait until he won the first prize before revealing the $1,000 bonus?
Basically, he forgot.  Bob used to forget sometimes to inform the contestant about the $1000 bonus, but Jeff would have a cue card reminding him to inform the contestant about the bonus.

Asking the contestants "Do you have anyone you want to say hello to" as they're heading into a pricing game is NOT the time to do that. It ruins the flow.
During the week of tapings I went to, he'd ask the contestants if they wanted to say hello to someone while spinning the wheel - not during the pricing games.  I guess it's ok during the wheel because it's dead time anyway while the wheel is spinning.

There are no longer going to be dots in Golden Road! That sucks! Than my new title for the game seems appropriate (just kidding). Time is Money offered no money when the rules changed and the game was pointless. I have a feeling that Drew will never make an audience entrance because Plinko, Golden Road, and 3Strikes don't ever have to be played first. Now, I wonder if Golden Road will ever be played in other slots, that would be interesting to see!
Uh.. Golden Road was played first! Golden Road has to be played first because it takes up all three doors - door #1 is rarely used except for storage and the showcases, so that's why the staging would take a bit longer than it would to set up compared to other games.They rolled out the game onto the stage while the contestants were bidding on the Kayak. 

Offline jeffpf

• Outside in Line
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
Hasn't anyone realized that Dexter won both prizes in Clock Game faster than Janis Henning did back in 1977?

BTW, Janis had 15.5 seconds left when she won both of her prizes.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »
SS#1  - I am one who will cut Drew a lot of slack, but it was embarassing for him to ask Nathaniel "What college do you go to?" with Nathaniel wearing an Ohio State t-shirt.

I probably would've asked the same thing. As we might recall back to Bob in a re-run a few weeks ago, there was a kid wearing a "Truth or Consequences, NM" T-Shirt, and Bob thought he was from there, when he was actually from El Segundo (or some other city in California not worth mentioning... lol).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 04:38:20 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:36 PM »
Alright so here's my take on today's show via tape:

Golden Road: Nathaniel guessed 7. I guessed 3. We both ended up losing this one.

Plinko: Now this to be the most funniest part of the show in my view and it's rewarded with a big pay out. Who would ever thought with only 2 Plinko chips left that Marie had to go to the bathroom!  :oldlol: She did eventually go but not before collecting a good sum of $20,200.

Clock Game: Although it was pretty easy Dexter played that game so well.

SCSD #1: I wanted Dexter or Nathaniel to win.

Double Prices: I knew that trip to Bangkok was over $5K +.

Any Number: AH!  :evil: Tough break for Brianne considering she had one number left in all 3 of them.

Grocery Game: Pretty good playing from Janet there using 2 products to get that trailer.

SC'S:  AH!  :evil: Another tough break this time from Marie whose showcase featured a Lincoln only to go over by so little. Poor Marie.  :-(

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 04:50:19 PM »
Im really actually starting to like this more and more, it just needs some more getting used to.

Golden Road - picking 7 was a nono, because it was already in the price. i would have said 2

Plinko - I have to go potty!:D marie was such a great contestant. nice win to boot

Clock Game - That was an easy playing

Double Prices - Easy

Any Number - Tough luck. i didnt think those phones would be that expensive

Grocery Game - Nice win

Showcases - wow. nice showcases. i really thought marie had it, but she was over by so little.

grade: 8/10

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
Quote from: voltron291
Watch right before the camera cuts away... someone in the 2nd row gets up and leaves the studio.

I can't remember his name but I'd swear it was Christopher as well.  He ran out of the studio because he felt jilted about not getting picked yet again.  The first new Drew show taped on a Wednesday and he had gotten in line the Saturday before at 900 A.M., just as PHILIP BARRETT had for Bob's last show, thinking that waiting in line for 100+ hours would do the trick.  He also felt he needed to do different tricks the rest of the week to try and get picked.  I guess when he didn't get that call on that show, which was the last one taped during the first taping week, he felt he had enough and ran out of the studio in disgust.

I reminded him, in line earlier that day, that it was only on my 30th show that I finally got the call, and there had been others who it took many many more as well, specifically Melva, also form the last show, who it took 100+ shows to get called, and that he should not give up hope if it doesn't happen.

Seeing as how Stan has a memory better than an elephant with memory kits installed, his chances now of getting picked are slim to none, and that's sad too because he was a nice guy who didn't take to heart what I told him.  Best of luck to him.

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 04:58:03 PM »
I can't remember his name but I'd swear it was Christopher as well.  He ran out of the studio because he felt jilted about not getting picked yet again.  The first new Drew show taped on a Wednesday and he had gotten in line the Saturday before at 900 A.M., just as PHILIP BARRETT had for Bob's last show, thinking that waiting in line for 100+ hours would do the trick.  He also felt he needed to do different tricks the rest of the week to try and get picked.  I guess when he didn't get that call on that show, which was the last one taped during the first taping week, he felt he had enough and ran out of the studio in disgust.

His name was Matthew - he was #5 in line for Bob's last show - about 12 hours behind Phillip.  I don't know about any tricks he tried to use to try and get picked, but they certainly didn't work.  I know that his girlfriend next to him followed him out, but that was during the break, and they moved two people sitting in the far back corner of the studio near the sound mixer to the front for the ending just so there wouldn't be any empty seats in the front.

I reminded him, in line earlier that day, that it was only on my 30th show that I finally got the call, and there had been others who it took many many more as well, specifically Melva, also form the last show, who it took 100+ shows to get called, and that he should not give up hope if it doesn't happen.

In fact, Dexter and I talked about this while waiting in line for the 2nd show - it can get frustrating to go to many tapings and still never get the call, particularly if you've traveled from far away multiple times like Matthew or I did.   Heck, I've been to 10 tapings myself but I still enjoy going... in fact, not getting called is just an excuse to go back and see another set of tapings. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:03:41 PM by Voltron291 »

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 04:59:55 PM »
Just watched today's show on DVR.  This is going to be a fun season, especially as Drew starts to get down pat the many different explanations for the games.  There are so many new camera angles and subtle changes to look for.  Most of the new angles I enjoy, like seeing the car from slightly above during Any Number.  But does it seem to anyone else that the turntable shot is at a bit too severe of an angle? Or maybe I just need to get used to it.  

Some have mentioned the rather generic grocery descriptions.  But if the groceries are not sponsored, the show has simply never provided too much of a plug.  I wonder if Drew is talked afterwards when he mentions brand names, like he did often during It's in the Bag yesterday.

And Drew's not-so-subtle crack about chocolate sauce definitely had me giggling like a little kid.

Hey audience, how about screaming a little louder when the 7 in Golden Road is chosen!
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »
Opening:  WHOO Tynan's in the audience again! :-D

Website Game:  WHOA!  Another audience entrance for Golden Road?!  Didn't see that one coming.  Not much of a golden road without the golden dots... as Drew so keenly pointed out.  But at least we did get one of the "Big 3" in the premiere week.  And the Viper has crossed into the $90,000 plateau for the very first time on this show.  There was absolutely no excuse to pick 7 on the piano when there was already a 7 in the price... and when the audience was clearly calling 8.

One-Bid #2:  $2,098.  Saw it yesterday.

Stinko:  Probably the best $50,000 graphic we've seen to date.  And another possible historic first!  The first time a pricing game has ever prompted a contestant to want to go potty.  LOL!  And the excitement of winning $20,200 will definitely get that wee flowing. :P

Sly Game:  Couldn't fool Dexter with those x99 prices.  He was on it, big time!  One of the best Clock players of all time.

Dubba:  Easy.  No way a southeast Asia trip was gonna be only $3,000.

One-Bid #5:  Ooooh... first full shot of the new giant price tag.  Very nice tag!

Any #:  Awww... Heels' hottie couldn't hit the home run on the full count.

One-Bid #6:  LOL!  Janet's getting wild with Willy! :oldlol:

Grocery:  Wow... the same trailer that was offered on Bob's last episode and last playing of Grocery Game.  Could those product descriptions have been any blander?  Nicely played by Willy Janet.

My showcase bids:
Random gym/spa--$15,170
LINCOLN!--$55,181 (GARF)

Result:  OWWWWW!  Overbid that Navigator by less than $700!
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline pricefan3376

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »
I thought Drew did OK today, but since this was the first full episode I watched of the Carey era, I was left feeling "eh".  In other words, I felt a little indifferent.  Drew definitely could use some practice throwing to and coming back from commercials.  I'd also like to see him chat with Rich a little bit more.

I'm posting a new thread in the forums about the Drew/Rich relationship.  I'm just curious as to how they get along. 

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 05:53:14 PM »
I believe Roger got a camera shot today, as well as a few more mentions. Whether or not you believe in the Barker scandals, it is pretty clear Drew is getting along well with the crew, and isn't afraid to share the spotlight. Perhaps in the chat session we can convince Drew to lobby to show Rich on camera.

Hear hear!  I'll drink to that!  :-D
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »
Would have been ironic* if Drew's first Plinko wound up getting a $30,000+ winner, when Bob couldn't get a single one in nine years.  I'm really happy Marie did really well:  she was wonderful!  Guess she finally got to potty after the break !  Real shame she didn't win her Lincoln Navigator:  she made such an awesome bid on that!  Just kinda' the wrong direction.  Poo.

What to make of how Dexter played Clock Game?  I'm not sure he knew how to play, necessarily, considering his slow method early on, but at least he obviously knew that a lot of prices end in 99.  Kinda' lucky for him that both prizes today ended in 99.

The head-on shot on the Any Number board was really bad today.  The shot was way too far to the left, practically cutting out part of the prices.

Speaking of Any Number, I like how Brianne played it.  She might've had some trouble finding that second number, but she was absolutely determined to get it!  Seems a few contestants kinda' forget about it if they don't light it on their first guess.

Really, really simple Grocery Game setup.  Outside tragically getting the price to like $19.99 or so, there was almost no way to lose.  I mean, outside of doing something really dumb.  I'm sure someone would have.

Speaking of Grocery Game's easy setup, it still baffles me that Bob's last show didn't have a setup more like today's.

Bart, it's really time to consider a split-screen thing for the showcase showdown again, or at least a better camera shot, seeing how Drew actively encourages conversation during the spins.

So, are there going to be no more audience entrances?  Kinda' darn.

*Yes, I know it's improper here, but it just sounds so right!

Quote from: A Bunch of People
Roger made Clock Game so friggin' easy today!

No, no, no!  Roger always makes Clock Game easy!  Today was no different!  Just that today's contestant played in a way that I don't remember anyone else attempting in quite the same way.  Roger had no way of possibly knowing that someone would luck their way into a win simply by having both prizes end in 99.

FlipFlopper7769]Did anyone else notice the second half featured the first three games to debut, also in just a slightly different order than Bob's last show?

Close, but not quite.  Bonus Game was the second game to premiere; Grocery Game was the fourth.

Quote from: GoldenBulldog
Clock Game:  Sorry Sally, but this was the best playing I've seen since your episode.  Of course, it was really easy today...

Absolutely not.  He pretty much got lucky that Roger made today's playing "easy."

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »
Wasn't it said that those five particular products were sponsored on Bob's last show...and they plugged them in there for maximum exposure?

To the jib operator:  Please stop with the motion sickness shots.  It's gettin' a little crazy.  Your shot to start the Showcases was excellent.  Do that more often. :)

One thing of note...this was supposed to be the season premiere.  And (it seems) they wanted to make it a little bigger.  And introduce Drew with the doors.  Hence the start + act 1 of the show.

I'm diggin' Drew as the host, the refreshed set, and the music.

And still boo for it not being a Mark Goodson Production.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »
Good show today!  Better than yesterday.

Drew was more personable with the contestents and it's growing on me!  He had good interaction in Plinko and I was concerned about how Drew would handle hosting his first (on the air at least) Clock Game.  He did both very well!  He also did better than yesterday at identifying some of the grocery products rather than saying things like "This stuff."  Keep in mind that he is trying VERY VERY HARD to make this work and has only had maybe 45 shows to do this.  Bob made the interactions and delivery an art form that he could do in his sleep.  In my view, to draw these kinds of comparisions between Drew and Bob isn't really fair.  It's going to perhaps take Drew not weeks, not months, but A WHOLE SEASON or so to really get the feel of the games, the show, the whole price enviornment.  We owe him at least the consideration of time.

Yes, he still talks too fast and needs to slow his pacing down, BUILDING up the suspense especially in the games that require it the most such as what was played today in Plinko and Golden Road.  Three things to work on:

1.) Slowing down his delivery

2.) More Variety in speaking after the commercial breaks.

3.) NEVER paraphrase a prize offered by putting it down.  Treat the candy, the furniture, or the car with respect.  Never say, "You can win...."This stuff." (For example, on Let's Make A Deal, Jay Stewart would make Almond Joy Candy sound as good as a car before Monty did a deal.)  Today what Drew did before presenting Golden Road's Viper, "Well, Roger said, it's NOT the most expensive prize, but in the top five."  A good MC, doesn't start with a negative, Drew should have built up the suspense with, "Today, you  are goiing to have a chance to win something SOOOOOOOOO incredible to start our 36th year on Price is Right."  At the end of The Golden Road, wait till you see this!  A prize valued at MORE THAN $90,00000!  OH MAN!!!!  Get a look at this!!!!"

(Drew needs to do more of this)

Rich:  "IT'S A NEW VIPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Why are the Hot Pockets and other grocery items that have been used for several years, not getting hardly any descriptions at all? I also submit  that  Bart is losing it as a director!  I agree with everyone about the problems with the wide camera shots on the opening.

Grade Today........B+

Joe