Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/31/2007  (Read 32881 times)

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/31/2007
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 04:41:22 PM »
The show might not have been perfect, especially when it comes to audience advice, but I don't care.  It was just a whole lot of fun.  Which I guess most episodes are, but today's more so!  Just the set, the costumes, the prize descriptions--ooh yes, the prize descriptions--all just a whole lot of fun!

The audience was no help to anyone today, really.  For the life in me, I don't understand why they wanted cutie Leanna to stop at $6501--seriously, "01"?!  Considering a fair number of contestants actually do seem to notice that a price ending in 01 is almost inevitably wrong, I'm surprised all the audience we could see seemed to encourage her to stop there.

And cutie Alexandra in Line 'em Up.  Her first guess looked perfectly good.  $18,395, a perfectly contestant-friendly looking price.  While Roger can and does try to make losses more likely by not making that tens digit a 9, that wasn't the case today.  By far, $18,195 looked like the next most contestant-friendly price, and why the audience was practically unanimously cheering for $19,395, I could not even guess.

It's a shame Lashawn had so little time to shine.  She seemed so awesomely excited for the short time she was around!  Also a real shame she didn't win much.

That's Too Much had pretty much no chance of being won today, huh?  I actually thought Nicholas went too far!

You know, as mindlessly simple as Pick a Pair was today, it actually could've been kinda' tricky if the contestant didn't start with either of the two obviously cheapest products.  Guess it would've still been a 2 in 3 shot of winning, but still.

As for the double numbers theory in Push Over, I guess it still holds, even if $5011 wasn't right.  I guess if there're two sets of double numbers, then only one set has to be in the price.  Unless there's no realistic price that fits the numbers.  I'm getting this, Sally!

I actually thought the $10,000 in Half Off might be, for the first time ever, in box #13 today.  Until it went down after the first cut.  Like it almost always does.  I mean, the Halloween show would seem like the perfect day to do just that.  Does anyone know why the cash has never been in that box?

Darn.  We couldn't tell what Fang's bid was that got her... err, "him" up on stage.  Elizabeth apparently bid $666--I guess Fang was going to have the yellow podium no matter which one was empty--but as for Fang's bid, who knows.  But it was the best showcase theme of the season so far!  And Roger!  Kinda' wish I could remember the episode itself, though.  Bet Tempty has it on tape .

Showcases don't get much less suspensful as the price reveal was today.  There was really no way to make it suspensful, though I guess since other random viewers may also overprice the coupe playing at home, I guess it was done as well as could be.

Speaking of the showcase, did anyone notice Leanna and Dayvion high-fiving during the first showcase?  Have two contestants ever high-fived each other during the showcase presentation before?

One of the funniest moments today?  Leanna "worried" that she might get caught in the cobwebs around the turntable.  I really couldn't tell whether she was taking Drew seriously, or just playing along, but either way, funny.

I should trust Drew more.  At first, I was worried he might keep the fangs in for the whole show, but he realized quickly that it wasn't really going to work very well, at least.  Pretty neat entrance, anyway.

Quote from: jaydlewis
Did anyone else notice that the VIP section housed Dawn Wells of Gilligan's Island fame? (and if it wasn't her, that woman could pass for Dawn's same-name twin!)

Ah yes... I need to take notes when watching maybe.  heelie, I do believe another smiley is in order .
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:07:55 AM by Frank15 »

Offline Footix

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »
The eerie music and Rich's Transylvanian voice really made this a fun show. Two things didn't, but we'll get to those later.

1/2 Off - That was an exciting win. The phone tripped me up, but there's no way anybody should think the coffee centre cost $70.
That's Too Much! - I was out to [strike]lunch[/strike] lurch here. I would've stopped at $21962.
Pick-a-Pair - Could this have been any easier?
Push Over - Two of the choices being $149 apart notwithstanding, there was no way this game should have been lost.
Line 'em Up - <sarcasm>Yay, my two least favourite car games in the same show!</sarcasm>
1 Right Price - I went for the BBQ here.
Showcases - Easily my worst CSS performance of the season. A :gotc: on the :frts: (a fun showcase nevertheless), and OVER on the car showcase.

Offline dm

• My website
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »
HOTTIES: #21, Elizabeth; #22, Talia; #23, Alexandra

Tell us, oh sage, why Leanna wasn't "hot".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:30:58 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Turbo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »
1/2 Off - I got the first two, but that car...ouch!  An exciting (if lucky) win here, though!
TTM! - That's Too Evil!  When are we getting rid of this horrible game?   :-?  I would've stopped at $23,235 as well.
Pick-a-Pair - This one seemed designed to make up for TTM.  Couldn't have been easier.
Push Over - This should have been another gimmie.
Line 'em Up - I said $18,365.  Nasty little setup today.
1 Right Price - Although that is an expensive grill, the $2084 fit better with the bed in my mind.
Showcases - Oof.  I had a Garf of the Century and a $2000 overbid in CSS.

The Halloween theme today was great!  I can't wait to see the Christmas episodes.

Also, is this the first time the chase lights haven't been used since they were introduced permanently?
PriceFanArmadillo: "When Voltron's in the audience, there are 1,153,908 reasons to listen."

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
Overall, I thought the show was watchable; the decorations were pretty cool, and the wardrobe was excellent, but Drew still has a ton of "things" (as he loves to say) that he needs to work on a long way to go before I'd consider him to be doing a "great job."

I had the opportunity to watch the show with someone who had never seen a Drew TPIR episode before, and I got some feedback from him. His first few comments were "wow, Bob would never do it like that (I wonder how many other viewers think that), and "Is he ever going to explain a game, the wheel, or anything without stumbling through it?"  I tended to agree there; I don't know when this one was taped, but Drew did seem to struggle mightily with explanations today. By struggle, I mean, stumbling, or getting lost in mid-sentence and trying to think of the words. What I'm seeing that he needs to work on most at this point:

1. Enthusiasm--the reading of actual retail prices and showcases needs work badly. He actually threw the sound effects person off in Line 'em Up. He was talking to the contestant, asking if she was done, but he said it in such a way that the sound effects person sounded the buzzer.

2. Throwing to Commercial--this could go under the heading of enthusiasm, and I'm sorry, but he throws to commercial with the excitement of a warmed-over turd. Half the time, he's not even looking at the camera when he says what he says going to commercial. The "on the second half of The Price is Right" commercial toss was just lame.

3. Work on the annoying tendencies and nervous movements--PLEASE stop playing around with the flap on your pocket, Drew. (And before anyone says it, I'm NOT talking about when he reaches in for the One Bid's price)--It's also annoying when he asks EVERY contestant "Do you have someone you want to say hello to" on EVERY spinning of the wheel. I know if my "watch once every 4 months" friend is annoyed by it, other people are too.  Let that happen spontaneously, and stop forcing it.

4. Quit describing prizes and products and game pieces as "things" so much--This is one of the most disappointing to me.  I'd expect someone in television as long as he has been to be a bit more formal and descriptive. I know I heard him say "things" when there were more appropriate ways to phrase it at least three or four times in the half-hour we watched. He called the blue window in Push Over a "blue thing," and I heard him say "car and other things" at some point. That just deflates the value of the other prizes completely.

Ok, back to the Halloween Show. As nicely as the set was done up and as nicely as the costumes were, I thought Drew overdid it in mentioning them. At one point or another, he thanked or recognized everybody but the guy who takes out the trash. After the first three times mentioning how great everything was and how special and unique it looked, fine, we get the point. Let the show develop itself; don't keep TELLING us how special of a Halloween show it is!!

At one point today, I thought Drew tried to do somewhat of how Bob might do. When the contestant was in the row throughout the show, he mentioned something about "might set a record," which drew zero response from the audience. I thought, hmm, he's probably heard something somewhere along the way about the "historc moments" of Price.

I thought Rich did well with the prize descriptions, and the showcase themes were done quite well, although the reveal ended up being completely boring. The music at the end was a nice touch.  I've always loved it when the show goes off with music other than the closing theme.

While the theme was cute and it certainly fit the mood of the day, it was just another day in Price history for me. Refusing to jump on the "this was the best Price is Right EVER bandwagon, I have to wonder just how many episodes of the show people who say that have seen.  I wouldn't even say this was Drew's best episode, much less the best episode ever. Watchable, amusing at times, and kept me from switching to Super Password the whole time, but eh, not much more than that.  Maybe a 5 or 6 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 05:16:07 PM »
Dawn Wells? Seriously?? Please, someone get us a screen cap!

Ask and ye shall receive:

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »
That was definitely Dawn Wells sitting behind contestants row.  She was consistently seen throughout the show...  even in the showcase!  I've never seen a showcase where a character came from the audience like that.  Notice the 666 on the far right bidding screen as Dracula came on up?  Nice touch!

Today's costumes were awesome. 
Drew's hosting was was even more comical than usual.
Rich's announcing was superb!

Can't wait for another special episode.

P.S.  After checking imdb.com, Dawn Wells is 69 years old!!  Amazing that she looks so much the same 40 years after Gilligans Island!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 07:44:00 PM by Drew72 »
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
1/2 Off: Unbelievable win by Dayvion! 8 boxes and he picked the one with the $10,000.  :biggrin:

Pick-A-Pair: The Jell-o and soup were my picks as well. Pretty easy.

Push Over: AHHHHHHH! Missed the prize by one block! Tough loss for Leanna.

Line Em' Up: I too noticed they buzzed it in too early. No chance on getting the car after attempting a repeat of a digit in this case a 9.

One Right Price: I had a gut feeling it was the bed.

Showcases: While one garfed another went over.

Drew's fangs, Rich's Italian Dracula, the models in costumes, not to mention the Dob dressing up as well makes for one heck of a show. Happy Halloween all!  :twisted:

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 05:23:34 PM »
I thought that today's show was very good, not to mention, funny.  1/2 off was very exciting, but there DOES need to be more drama involved with the opening of the box.  Also, what's the point of asking the audience which box to pick?  Like they would know *shrugs*  Did anyone else notice in pushover, when LeAnn was at 0119, she actually looked back at the audence as if to say "do you think I should stop?  :lol:

Finally, I love Drew so far and everything, but it seems like a high percentage of contestants don't know what's going on.  Not impressed with the crop as a whole so far (though there have also been some good ones, obviously).  A lot of stupid one bids, people not knowing how to play the games, etc.  

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 05:52:38 PM »
Well This was a very entertaining Halloween Show to say the least, certainly better than the last few years with Bob.

Love that Opening with the organ music and the models wrapped as mummies.

I'm still amazed that Dayvion pulled it out with 8 boxes left.

SC1 :gotc: Doesn't even cover the trailer.

SC2: :wotc:

Happy rest of Halloween to all!

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
That's Too Much had pretty much no chance of being won today, huh?  I actually thought Nicholas went too far!
Really?  I thought it was kind of straightforward.  I put the Charger at about $25,500, and if I saw the price before the correct price correctly, there was a near-$3,000 gap on the right one.  I guess it was as easy as you can get for having the right price not be in the 3-5 "sweet spot".
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline woohookitty

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 06:58:37 PM »
I find it interesting that we're starting to see this stuff now after 35 years. :) Do people think that Bob resisted stuff like a Halloween themed show or do you think they just never thought of it? Many shows have done it.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 07:36:53 PM »
Yay!  A Halloween-themed show!  I loved Rich's Dracula voice.

Opening Screams:  Whoa!  Dawn Wells in the VIP section!

One-Boo #1:  LOL at Drew trying to talk with those fangs! :oldlol:

Half-Off Corpses:  The evil pet brush strikes again.  But it didn't matter--Dayvion won the cash from 8 boxes!  Only the second time in history that has happened, I believe.

That's Too Bloody!:  Second?!  Another Halloween trick from Roger Ghoulkowitz.  THAT'S TOO SOON!  I knew the Ghost-Charger was gonna be at least $25K.

Pick-a-Phantom:  You could hardly see that beautiful dinnerware through the cauldron steam.  Yay!  Temptation prize cue! :P OK, how did the hell did they find a box of Jell-O that costs exactly $1.07?

Push Over the Cliff:  Should not have been lost.  $6,650 was the only price up there that looked right.

One-Boo #5:  We finally got a smile out of zombie bride Brandi. :oldlol:

Line 'Em Up for Torture:  Anybody else notice that first buzzer came a bit prematurely?

1 Gruesome Price:  Tough choice, but I did suspect that was the $3,800 grill.

SC #1:  For the first time ever, the CsNAOS appear in a showcase skit.  WHOO Roger's in the skit, too!  No, Leanna... that hardly covers the trailer.

SC #2:  Stage Willy on the Mustang! (What else is new?)

My showcase bids:
:frts: --$34,251
Mustang--$25,440
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »
This was an awesome episode.  Everything...the costumes, the music, the set...it was all hilarious.  I hardly stopped laughing the whole show.

This is probably the first time a show has ever opened with 1/2 Off and That's Too Much!.

Speaking of 1/2 Off...that win was amazing.  It's not too often somebody has eight boxes left and still finds the money.

There is no way Push Over should have ended the way it did.  Why would anybody pick a price that ended in 01?!

The first showcase was freakin' hilarious...and yay for giving a role to Roger!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ponch8

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 07:47:26 PM »
I thought Michael, the last contestant to be called down, provided the best comedy of the day.  First, he asked whether the Ziploc bags that went to the winner of the IUFB were a gallon or a half gallon.  Then, another classic:  "Go lower than $650."  "$825."  I remember times when Bob wouldn't let the contestant change their bid when they did something this stupid.