Author Topic: It's That Time...  (Read 171875 times)

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
It's That Time...
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
I’ve never been a fan of airing dirty laundry in public…but the time has come.

I take a very hands off approach to this site…always have.  I step in when I need to, add my comments when appropriate, and get rid of wrongdoers as needed.  I also pay the bills…no big deal.  It’s you guys, as members, who are the stars of the show around here.  I’m content in knowing that this site has become what it has literally from “the ground up” – from one guy’s personal webspace on AOL and other guy’s small TPiR message board on Bravenet.  But its you all that drive the content of this site…I’m generally happy to sit back and read / learn with all of you and with enjoyment.

There have also been a number of you that have helped me along the way.  From Gene Platt, who successfully merged the two sites described above…to Joe Capitano, who reliably and accurately records in writing each day’s events…to John Sly, who started with me during a drive to Best Buy and who continues to be one of my best friends today…to all the moderators who have kept the site in tip-top shape…to Robert Searcy, who took the backbone of this site from a failing platform to the stable site software that we are using today.  To all of you that have played a role, and you know who you are, I thank you.

But with all that good comes some of the BS that I simply will not handle anymore.  People like John Chartier and “TunaHead” that threaten me because I will not give them more than what I am already giving them.  People like Tom Boggs, who for some reason decided work eBay into canceling a recent charity auction we were running for UAAR while I was working on obtaining a letter from the charity.  And now, people like former site admin Robert Searcy, who decided to write this earlier today:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14446 (registration required)

Long story short, and somebody please correct me if I’m wrong, some in our daily chat room were complaining that member / moderator FPGWillyT was abusing his administrative powers.  Fair enough, I asked Searcy (who had every administrative password to this site) to pull me some transcripts of this abuse & “trash talking”.  He does, via about 12 screenshots…and I see no wrongdoing from Tynan…with the possible exception of his use of the word “assbag”, something that I am not going to terminate a membership & friendship over.  So, I let the issue die and told Willy to behave as anyone else…no harm, no foul.

Fast forward a couple of days, to November 18th.  Some friends and I are tailgating outside after the Cowboys – Redskins game (so I’m 5 hours away from home) when John calls me and tells me that Searcy went off the deep end.  Apparently, Searcy had enough of this “abuse” from Tynan, so he decided to email a large number of members to tell them to boycott the chat, boycott the site, and all sorts of other crap that I can’t recall right now.  Stupid designer accessories.  I’m sure one of you has a copy of the email if you wish to post it for all to read.  So what do I do?  I get back to Tulsa, change all my passwords to the site, and removed all of Searcy’s administrative access…I SIMPLY COULD NOT TRUST HIM ANYMORE…a reasonable response to what Robert did as far as I’m concerned.  I later got a hold of Robert via AIM, politely explained to him why I did what I did, and ended the conversation.  I told him that he did an awesome job for the site and for all of us (I did so publicly on the Forums, too), but I could not allow him to hold my passwords if I was unable to trust him.

Now today while I’m eating lunch, somebody calls to my attention the thread at the above link.  The thread where I participated in the “the lowest, dirtiest thing anyone's ever done to” him.  The thread where he tells me I’ll be sorry.  Screw that.  I didn’t do anything to anybody.  The only thing that I did was to try to protect the integrity of this site…something that I’ve tried to do since day one.  In fact, it was Robert that apologized to a whole bunch of us for his “evil deed”, and it was Robert who publicly resigned from the site before I even had a chance to talk to him (http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=4713.msg67072#msg67072).  I was not “low”, I was not “dirty”, but I was “appropriate”.

I’m sorry to go on and on and on.  All I have left to say is that I’ve always tried to do the right thing – be it for this site or for the good people at TPiR, some of whom have become good friends with.  There’s a ton of “great” that comes along with running a website, and a little bit of “terrible” that comes along just the same.  But as little and rare as that “terrible” is, I just have too much going on in my life to devote energy to dealing with it anymore.

Effective immediately, I am turning over full control of the site to John and stepping down as administrator.  I will be giving him all of my passwords just as soon as I have a chance to type them up.  I’ll continue to pay for hosting for as long as he needs me to, and the domain name is paid for through the end of 2008.  I don’t want to see this site go anywhere anytime soon.

My love for TPiR will always be there, my love for this site will always be there…and I thank each and every one of you for nearly ten years of great fun and memories.

Marc

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: It's That Time...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »
Marc, it's sad to see you go, but I respect your decision.  I want to thank you for creating this great site and allowing fans from all over the Internet to come in here and have a good time with each other.  May God bless you and I wish you the best of luck for your future.

Sincerely,

goldroadfanatic
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline stormy41992

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I'll Miss You Bob!
    • TV & Game Shows
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
its sad to see you go, but i respect your decision. (ironically, i had went back and re-read Robert's resignation thread a few hours ago.) you did lots for this site, including the chat with Drew Carey a few months ago. the site wont be the same without you.
STORMY'S STATS FOR HIS 2ND SEASON OF CSS: [Wins: 0] [Top 10/5 Finishes: 3/1] [DSWs: 0] [Overbids/WSDs: 0/0] [Lowest SC Difference: $857] [Games Played: 6] [Current No-OVER Streak: 6]
SCORE OF THE FIRST EVER "FRIENDLY" RIVALRY: Stormy41992 - 2////cu2010 - 2

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »
I don't know what's going on and I really don't want to know.  All in all, I thank you, Marc for doing all the wonderful things you and others have been doing for the site during the 3+ years I've been here and I wish you all the best of luck during future endeavors.
--Mr. Matté
So long!

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:08:27 PM »
I don't know where to start on this one.  I do have to make some concessions on my part. 

I've done things that brought Marc to the brink of insanity here and there, simply because I take a very different method of posting on here.  I'm very open-minded, and I tend to take a "hands on" approach.  I've dished out my share of "trash talk", but I know that I don't back it up 90% of the time--take a look at my CSS stats and you'll know what I mean!  However, I share a love for "The Price is Right" too, and that is something that will never fade away from me.  I'm not an expert on the intricacies of TPIR; I'm just a hardcore fan of TPIR like everyone else in here. 

Marc, if you get this message right now, on behalf of my fellow Islanders at TAMU-CC, I'd like to wish you all the best in whatever lies ahead.  You are still welcome at my on-campus apartment if and when you do visit Corpus Christi, and I'd be happy to show you the finer points of the coast.  Take it easy Marc, and God bless!

Regards,

John "GoldenBulldog" Gillmen
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline FlipFlopper7769

• 4/10/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »
Wow, this came as quite a shock. We will all miss you dearly Marc, and thank you for your many years of service and all the memories.
You can go ahead and call me "Mr. Money Game"!
I was on TPiR: Jan 8, 2007!  AIR DATE: Apr. 10, 2007!

Offline Footix

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
I'm not sure whether this counts as a violation of the "not adding anything new to the discussion" rule, but I'd like to add my name to the list of people thanking you for all your hard work running this site. I sincerely hope your CSS "artistry" will continue.

Offline KimmiKat

• In the Audience
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »
I've seen this happen on another mboard, I wouldn't give it up because this happened.  I also run a mboard, although a smaller one and seen this happen on my board too.  I let my cousin take over for a bit and "sat" in the back seat.  A little later, I returned to my mboard.

Stuff like this happens on mboards and chat rooms many times.  Sometimes the admin will xfer control to someone else or just shrug it off and go on. Although you're turning control to John, maybe just sit in the back seat for awhile and collect your thoughts.  You put a LOT of effort into this board and we all appreciate what you done. :)
Sometimes my train of thought often pulls from the station without me.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
What...what the hell?!

This is not right.  This is just not right.  I can't believe Searcy would do this.

...then again, I couldn't believe Searcy sent that e-mail, either, but...gah.  Just...wow.

Marc, we're going to miss you around here.  I can't say for certain that I wouldn't have made the same decision in your position, but it still just sucks.  You've done more for the TPIR fan community than most people could even imagine.  Hell, all the projects I've worked on here, which have really become my figurative "babies" over the years, never would have gotten started if you hadn't asked me to create a FAQ for the site way back when.  I can't thank you enough for the opportunities you've given me here.

I...blah.  I just don't know.  This stinks.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline stormy41992

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I'll Miss You Bob!
    • TV & Game Shows
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 09:03:04 PM »
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14446

i think the link's been removed. im a member on there, but im still getting an error when i bring the link up.
STORMY'S STATS FOR HIS 2ND SEASON OF CSS: [Wins: 0] [Top 10/5 Finishes: 3/1] [DSWs: 0] [Overbids/WSDs: 0/0] [Lowest SC Difference: $857] [Games Played: 6] [Current No-OVER Streak: 6]
SCORE OF THE FIRST EVER "FRIENDLY" RIVALRY: Stormy41992 - 2////cu2010 - 2

Offline Footix

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »
It appears to have been deleted. Searching for all of Robert's posts doesn't bring it up, and David Zinkin has posted about it in the "Behind the Scenes" forum.

Offline dzinkin

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »
i think the link's been removed. im a member on there, but im still getting an error when i bring the link up.
Yes, it's been removed.  It should have been deleted earlier, but I was on the road for much of today and did not see the post until tonight.

I have tried, more than once, to get across the point that we at the Game Show Forum are not at war with Golden-Road.net.  This forum focuses on Price while we have a broader scope, and there's plenty of room for both boards.  And now comes a former admin who decides not only to stir that fecal matter up again, but to hurl a bunch of baseless accusations — relating to behavior on his part that he admits was "inexcusable"!

No.  No.  A thousand times, no.

I apologize to Marc and the G-R staff for allowing, however inadvertently, our board to be used to attack them.  And as I said on the GSF moments ago, I also apologize to those of you who have enough common sense not to need this refresher course.

- David (Moderator, Game Show Forum)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 09:37:11 PM »
There would never have been a Golden-Road.net without you, Marc.  You've been the face of it since the beginning.  I first learned about this site when I saw you on the E! "True Hollywood Story" of TPIR many years ago.  I really hate to see you resign your administratorship, but I understand your decision.  Though personally, I also hate to take a side in this whole matter, as Searcy has been a friend of mine for a long time.

God bless you, Marc, for all that you've done to make this site what it is, and make me feel welcome for the last several years.  May you have continued success in all of your future endeavours.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 09:59:09 PM »
I saw the post over at the GSF and almost instantly thought "this ain't gonna come out pretty".  It's a real darn shame that you have to go, Marc.

I'll raise "this stinks" to "this sucks".
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »
I don't know what that other post said, but I don't think I want to know.
Marc, I wish you the best in the future.  The limited time that I have been a member, you have always been nice to everybody that you have been in contact with.
I truely don't understand why you need to resign as an adminstrator, but I respect your final decision.
I am deeply saddened and shocked.  G-R.net will not be the same without you, CSSArtist.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024