Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 04/04/2008  (Read 30862 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 04/04/2008
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:31:42 AM »
The Price is Right MDS - April 4, 2008
Production #0026SP - Taped Feb. 11, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Rachel

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds, Brandi Sherwood and Gabrielle Tuite
Wearing: Attitudes

1   (Samsung) 56" LCD HDTV (L&T)
CYNTHIA 1250 ALEXANDER 1500 DATEVIK 2000 MARY *2500 ($3299)

Mary from Corona, CA gets to walk down the GOLDEN ROAD

(Market Pantry) Black Beans51¢
Head His/Hers Tennis Equipment (T)–785$578*
CalSpas A857L Hot Tub (G)7–1957519*
Dodge Viper SRT10 (Fairly loaded)(B)87–19987910WIN!

Her reaction after winning the Viper: one a contortionist would love.

2   Canon HD10 HD Camcorder/2 (Sony) Digital Cameras (from above)
+Cynthia 1100 +Alexander 1300 +Datevik *1301 JENNIE 699 ($2099)

Datevik from Pasadena, CA plays GRAND GAME (Target: $7.00) for double stakes...

(3) Spike Santa Fe Salsa Con Queso (16 oz)2.9920
(6) Francesco Rinaldi Pasta Sauce1.99200
(2) (Maxwell House) Coffee (13 oz)3.992000
(4) Alka Seltzer Plus Day & NIght (10)6.23620000
(1) Flintstones Gummies (150)14.99
(5) Citracal Supplement (100)7.99

3   Polaris Trailblazer 330 ATV (G)
+Cynthia *3600 +Alexander 3501 SCOTT 4200 Jennie 3500 ($3899)

*** $1,000,000 GAME ***

Cynthia plays CLOCK GAME

To win the million, Cynthia must win both items in ten seconds or less - and it has happened before.

Broyhill Sofa (L)($899)
899   WIN!   (:29 left)

Horizon EX66 Elliptical Trainer (R)($999)
1400 1300 1000 899 999   WIN!   *** $1,000,000 ***   (:22 - or :23 - left)

Truth be told, she should have had a full 30 seconds on the clock for the second item, seeing as she hit the price exactly on the opening bid with the clock off. That was a problem waiting to happen. As to the confetti, no doubt there. Real.

SHOWDOWN #1Spinoff
$22,099Datevik35 +100OV
99,306Mary95 stay.95.35
1,010,797Cynthia95 stay.95.45Through to Showcase Round

4   "The Simpsons Pinball Party" Pinball Machine (T)
JAMES 950 +Alexander 1300 Scott 700 Jennie *4200 ($4595)

Jennie plays ANY NUMBER

Picks: 8 7 9 6 3 4 5
Chrysler 300 LX (Std., 24v, AT, PSeat, RKE, Tilt, Prot)(R)$2 5,8 4 3WIN!
2CalPak Simply 3 pc Luggage Sets (B)$7 6 –(760)
That Damned Piggy Bank$9.– –(9.21)

5   Colorcraft Peridot/Diamond Ring (G-in the Row)
James 4000 +Alexander *2500 Scott 4001 JILL 3200 ($2750)

Alexander from El Monte, CA, prepare thyself. IT'S THE $100,000 PL!NKO! PRIMETIME!!!

Free Chip(4)500R
(Lingo) Electronic Translator2/92$79
Stan's Book4/6416
Airplane Beverage Shaker9/2299Total
Compact Shredder1/9959*(3)500L$1000LOSS

6   Beringer King George Billiard Table (T&R)
James *4002 JOSHUA 2450 Scott 4000 Jill 4001 ($4065)

James plays MOST EXPENSIVE for three trips...

Lech, Austria (6n @ Gotthard)(G)PICK$7135LOSS
Antigua (6n @ Verandah)(L)7807
Buenos Aires (6n @ Caesar Park)(B)8570

SHOWDOWN #2
$3,809Alexander45 + 50.95Through to Showcase Round
4,065James60 + 80OV
30,428Jennie25 + 45.70

SHOWCASE ROUND (Win with a bid within $1000 or less = DSW & $1 Million)
Cynthia has the honor.

THE TPiR POWERTRAIN GYM (R)
(Yamaha) Home Theater System
Quantum Q2.5 Motorized Treadmill (L)
Bowflex Extreme Home Gym (T)
2 StarTrac Exercise Bikes (R)
Chaparral Sonesta 224 22' Ski Boat (R)
SC1-Alexander
BID$45,000
PRICE67,637
DIFF–22,637
SC2-Cynthia SALUTE TO THE ARMED FORCES
One Large American Flag (B&T)
Little Guy Sport Camper Trailer (G)
Trip to Hawaii (NWA Vacations; 6n @ Turtle Bay)(L)
3 Jeep Wrangler Xs (Std., V6, AT, AC)(B, L&R)
BID$75,000
PRICE78,220
DIFF–3,220
TOTAL$1,089,017

Today's Pricing Games: 4 for 6
Total Winnings: $1,248,724

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:15:24 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 04/04/2008
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:46:22 AM »
OK.  I'll go first.  All I have is a small tribute to our very own Clock Game John. 

John's playing of Clock Game has always be the benchmark by which all others were measured.

Until tonight.

Sorry, John.  You played the game very well.  Cynthia played a little bit better.

Don't worry, though.  Your nickname is safe!  You'll always be Clock Game John - Clock Game Cynthia just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Otherwise...GREAT SHOW!  I'll probably have more to say later...
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:48:20 AM »
BEST SHOW EVER!!!!

What an awesome show-from top to bottom, this show was just spectacular-awesome lineup, awesome contestants, and Drew was simply on top of his game tonight. I really hate to say much more than this since the recap is up, buttttttt since the show has aired here and i've seen it and since Joe says we can discuss away I will.

Golden Road: Ohhhhhhhhhhh what a be-yoo-ti-ful sight. What a gorgeous Viper offered and won too!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, not one individual has made it to the end in daytime, yet come night time BAM, we have ourselves a winnah!

Grand Game: Wow, this was one of the more difficult setups i've seen in this game in quite some time in either the daytime or night time.

Clock Game: Whoa!!!!!! Clocky for the million?!? Hit both prices in 10 seconds? That's not impossible, but it might not happen. BUT!!!! SHE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seemed to me, with the prices for the prizes being what they were, that there was a possibility for a win here, I knew after Cynthia hit the price of the sofa on the nose in 1 second, she had a really good chance to get it. I was more worried about Drew hyperventilating over the possibility of her winning-because on that 2nd prize he seemed to be hurrying her and was so quick in spitting his words out he was almost stumbling over them-but WOW she did it. I mean that is awesome, what made it even more awesome was seeing the cash just fly down from the ceiling and going every where. This is one segment of Price that will be etched in my mind forever.

SCSD#1: It ain't often you see a Golden Road winner spin 2nd in a Showcase Showdown. That's just awesome.

Any #: 4th!!!! Man can it get any better? Nice comeback win to boot. That's what makes this game exciting. Seeing that 3 light up as the last digit in the car sure made things a whole lot easier that's for sure.

Plinko: Oh man, really the only downer of the night. I mean, if 2 cash games are going to be played why couldn't one of them be Punchy? BTW: when was the last time Punchy was actually played in an MDS?

Showcases: WOW-a trifecta of Jeeps, really nice touch with  the Red, White, and Blue and Cynthia wins 'em. Wow-over $1,089,000 inprizes won tonight.

I'll be remembering this show for a long, long time.  What a night!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:53:58 AM by rob79 »

Offline car912

• In the Audience
    • PriceIsRight.com - me
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:49:43 AM »
Wow, that was an awesome playing of Clock Game.  Got the first one right off the bat, and fumbled around on the second one, but had a miraculous recovery.  Especially nice since the setup followed the "$999 rule" on the second prize.

The rest of the show was good too, including a great win on Golden Road.
Grand $ Game had an easy (IMO) setup, and was geared for a win.
Most Expensive = unfortunate loss, (I guessed the same as the contestant).
Any Number: great recovery for a WIN.
Plinko: prizes: AAAAAA!!! dropping the chips: unfortunate double $500 wins

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:55:19 AM »
-Goldy: Hooray, gold spots, with a can of beans, *something I forgot*, a spa, and the always-nice-to-see red Viper, and the first win of this season! The spa really looked better with $7819 - yet the Viper had two repeating digits (7/1) leaving 5 & 9, and 9 looked better. I guess the DOB wanted a quick loss, but he didn't get it and she followed through - hooray Dobstopper Deluxe! Also, nice full collapse (I couldn't do that w/o feeling pain, I'm sure of it) & shaking of that...behind. :oldlol: I'm just happy a "big" game got played.
-Grandy: Meh, easy setup again. Remember this is the 2nd taped show, right after Adam's big win, and according to Volty there was a long delay in the cleanup & aftermath, so I wasn't surprised to see this...that goes for another game later on as well.

3RD $1,000,000 WINNER, 1ST M$PG
-Clocky: ...Holy ****, man! Now, you can say what you want - to make 10 seconds doable, the ARPs were indeed -99 and close to each other. I've seen 813 and 832 this week actually, but it was set up so it wasn't impossible, like Rangey. But she in fact overpriced the exerciser at first and stumbled, losing crucial seconds...which SHOULD have been fatal...but she had EXACTAed the sofa, somehow, without any header, out of the blue to be honest, even if she had the idea of -99 in her head...I think everyone felt she was going to win $1mil right there. Picking up from the stumbling, she finally goes to -99 after "ten hundred" and still pulls off the last prize in 7 sec...arguably the best playing of Clocky ever.

-SD1: Probably the only time a Goldy winner will not be the top winner the top in a half, or at least for a long, long time. Wow, she manages a .95 tie and gets a lucky .45 > .35 break...not sure if this is the first contestant to have both opportunities for $1mil, but it's the first to have a chance for $2mil!
-A#: $25843 = extremely DOBish, I was thinking $765 for the luggage (seen those middle-digits exactly like that before) and $9.10 or $9.20. Dobstopper Deluxe x2! :)
-St!nko: Ugh...no need for this to spoil a perfect show with a lot of leverage going. And it's not that he screwed up the SPs badly - it's just that game is even here. Play Baggy if you must. OR PUNCHY! :P Gah...but this was on the earlier taping of the day, so I am not surprised...
-ME: Yay triple As trips! I felt a vibe coming from Argentina...dunno. They were all relatively close ($1.4k range).
-SD2: Hmm, just short of tying .95 again twice.
-SCs: As you would see in the CSS results, no one had a clue on that boat. 22" yet it had to be nearly $60k, sheesh. SC2 was much more reasonable - flag $1k if even that, trailer $15k, Hawaii $4-6k, each Jeep $21k...yet I overbid it (82,308) by 4k. Where did I go wrong, I dunno...as for Stage Player, expected ultra-garf on the boat but she makes a very nice bid to bring in some booty with that loot - interestingly, since it wasn't a DSW, she falls below $100k w/o the million and thus is 3rd all-time behind Adam & Michael.

...Yes, I have been saying s/he because I do not remember contestants' names well. That's just how my brain works, sorry. EDIT: Cynthia, I gotta remember that one...Ton80, I think you hit it right on the nose on John's playing from 2003: a great standard for playing this game still, but not the best technically anymore.

Overall grade for this show:

A

I can't really ignore Plinko that would have been preferred out and ME, they brought down the great energy from Clocky, but GR & Clocky alone earn this show this grade. ;)

Drew 3, Howie 0. Drew TWICE on February 11th, 2008. Now that's worth saying WOW.

Personal Request: I got knocked off of chat...darnit. Did anyone save the transcript? Just looking for the reaction to GR & Clocky's wins of course. PM me if you do and I'll send you my email, I'd be very grateful! :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:05:49 AM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 12:58:09 AM »
I watched it when I got home and I was in tears after clock game.  I just could not believe it.  I absolutely loved this show and I can only imagine the reaction in the chat to the wins.  What a show!!!!!!!!!

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 12:58:56 AM »
Incredible show!

Golden Road : Great win! The back to back 5s would've screwed me, but she saw right through the DOB. Great job!

Grand Game : Fairly easy setup. Great reveal by Drew. And it's nice that they decided to center the camera on the prop in the initial reveal of GG, instead of trying to fit the contestant and the board like they did in the first MDS. Looks better for us poor SDTV folks!

$1M Clock Game : I seriously gasped when she got the first prize on the nose in less than a second! At that point, I was sure we'd have a 3rd $1M winner, and sure enough, few seconds later, she won. Although, I thought the prices were fairly easy to guess on the nose, like any who finish in 99.  Well done, anyway! Congrats to her!

Any Number : Great job! Not much more to say, also since I didn't pay too much attention (I had to work today, I watched at the same time).

Plinko! : What?!? 2 cash games in one show?!?!? That's odd! Badly played on the SP, IMO.

Most Expensive (brought you by the letter A) : When I saw the camera angle, I was sure it was ME (remember S35 premiere?) So I kinda thought it was for 3 cars, but trips it was, and fairly expensive trips, mind you! But I would've thought one of the Europe trips would have been more expensive than South America. I was wrong ...

Showcases : Home gym, and boat, I was completely lost in the prices, but it was a good showcase. The second one was good, too, but nothing too spectacular (well, nothing out of the ordinary for a MDS ;))  I horribly GARFed SC1, and was over on SC2.

All in all, a great show, Drew was on point, and another million dollar winner (and the first one in the $1M Pricing Game). I'm starting to wonder if we'll have MDS' next year. Think of how much it'll cost them in insurrances ... ;)

Offline Plinko_Sign

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:02:30 AM »
I must say, this was the most entertaining MDS I have seen yet. So amazing, I now feel it is time for my long streak of lurking around, making no posts, to end.

Golden-Road: The road looked brilliant on that floor. I always like seeing black/gold combinations. The outcome was spoiled by the advertisements CBS played but I'm glad it was this outcome, of all of them, that was revealed. Its always exciting to see a Viper being offered, and won! Excellent way to start the night.

Grand Game: Tricky setup imo. However, it was pulled off brilliantly. Another great win.

Clock Game: Cynthia, you have beaten the Million Dollar Game! I knew, that once she got the first prize right on the first guess, she'd have a very good chance of getting the ultimate paycheck. I too, would have won it. With careful thinking, I would have guessed the correct prices on both prizes (not meaning to brag :p)

Showcase Showdown I: I'm glad Cynthia won. With how easy the requirements to win both Showcases & the Million, I was positively thinking this would be the night where TWO Million would be given away.

Any Number: I was guessing two as the second number. As it turned out, I was wrong. Another win! Are we going for a perfect show on whats already one o the best MDS' made yet?

Plinko: No. I respect this game and appreciate its popularity but can this please stay away from Primetime? The MDS' should be reserved for the the big cash & prizes. Yeah, Plinko could potentially give away 100k but the chances of them even giving away 20k is 1/8! This is its 3rd appearance on this batch of MDS', please give it less plays on Primetime.

Most Expensive: I know somebody who makes a nearly-annual trip to Austria and based on what he tells me is the cost, I too was choosing Austria as the most expensive. I liked James, shame he didn't win.

Showcase Showdown II: Nothing significant happened here imo.

Showcases: Wow, I liked that trailer. I also liked THREE Jeeps. Congratulations Cynthia, 3rd person to be awarded One Million and the better Showcase of the best MDS yet!

Best Moment: Cynthia's amazing win, of course.

Rating: 4.5/5. Brilliant!

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 01:31:46 AM »
I'll give my thoughts on a couple of the games only...

Clock Game: Consider this a lesson. Never go to Wikipedia before watching TPIR in prime time. Some people (I don't think they're on this forum) don't seem to understand things like time zones and West Coast delays. Grrrrrrr....

That having been said, it was a nice idea and a nice thought to go back to putting the $1,000,000 on the line where knowledge and/or skill is required, and not luck. Though, I'd have to say that playing Clock Game for a million works better in theory than in practice - not because of the game itself, but the fact us poor humans (well, you poor humans - I'm not sure if I am one myself) deal with something called nervousness.

Between one second going off the clock on Cynthia's exacta (that should've been corrected), and Drew's stuttering and stammering during the exerciser, were we risking a TECHNICAL $1,000,000 win tonight had Cynthia not done it in ten seconds? Would there have been a convincing case that the mistake with the clock, and Drew's nervousness had deprived her (even with the erred first couple of guesses) of her chance had she not done it?

I don't know. Perhaps someone who was there for the taping could give us a better answer to this. I just know I am glad she did make it in under ten seconds - mistakes and all. It would not have been the same if Drew had announced that she won the $1,000,000 after the fact, because of the goofs.

Also, not to take anything away from Cynthia, but I'd still have to say if you want to see a textbook playing of Clock Game, there was some kid on several years ago. I think his name is John Sly, or John Salley, or Sly Stallone, or something like that. Yes, he didn't do it in under ten seconds, but then again, he wasn't playing for two prizes that ended in 99, and in a case where he had to figure one of them would be $999. Cynthia was faster. Cynthia did it for far, FAR bigger stakes. But that playing several years ago was a textbook example of a binary search and how to play this game.

What the heck ever happened to John Sly, anyway?

Plinko: Okay. Six MDS's taped in the first bunch. Five have now aired. And we've gotten three playings of Lucky Seven AND Plinko?

75 73 pricing games in the lineup, and we've seen two games played in (at least) half of the batch? Oy vey.

I know Joe Plinko wants Plinko everyday (heck, probably every game). But, please, Roger. Dear, Roger. Dear, dear, Roger. Can we please see some other games? Can we see a little more variety? Can we please see more cash games where victory is reasonable - and possible?
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline GedAlexNeil30

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »
GR - Would've screwed up on second prize.
GG - Figured it was the Flintstones and the Citrical you don't picki.
CG - Somehow, I would've used the 99 rule and possibly won the million myself. (BTW Nice idea on the $1M here.)
AN - I think I was on the right track as her.
Pl - Would've won probably three or four chips.
ME - Would've picked Austria too.  Surprised Argentina is that expensive.

SC - $60K and $80,100 (assumed flag was $100), respectively.

Offline ClassicG

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:44:45 AM »
Five words in one syllable:

"Unbelievable!"

Strike that, reverse it.

What can I say? This is one for the books. A Golden Road winner that put a halt to the Everlasting Dobstopper, and a miraculous Clock Game win with only 10 seconds to go for both prices and a million dollars. Watching that segment was like reliving my moments with Scrabble.

To ClockGameJohn: you really were on PiR? Which season? I need to watch that segment. (No wonder your name sounded familiar)

Clock Game Cynthia just doesn't roll off the tongue.

How about, Miracle Cynthia? That first bid she said got everyone from the studio to our living rooms jumping out of our seats.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:54:32 AM by ClassicG »

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 01:58:52 AM »
Between one second going off the clock on Cynthia's exacta (that should've been corrected)

I'm assuming that the $1M insurance policy for this game included a clause saying that an exacta required a one-second runoff - similar to how in basketball how you need 0.4 seconds to catch and shoot in order for it to count.  But clearly with 2 prizes ending in "99" this was the $1M game that basically said "I want to give away $1,000,000" compared to the other games we've seen that have ranged from difficult to complete longshots.  Interesting to note that every $1M game so far (and probably including the one next week) had the $1M event occur on a previous show - daytime or nighttime (Clock Game on Bob's first MDS was won in 7 seconds including an exacta on a $999 prize).

I was told that it took close to 20 minutes to get all of the confetti cleaned up after Cynthia's $1M win so they could setup for the wheel - which made the taping run longer than it should have... in fact the taping took close to about 2 hours, and you could notice there were multiple edits throughout the show.  At least this time the confetti was not digitally added like in Michael's $1M win or the opening of the first MDS of the batch.

Speaking of the wheel - it was interesting to see the Golden Road Winner was NOT the last spinner! I don't foresee this happening anytime again... certainly not on the daytime show and almost surely not in a future MDS...

While I do think Plinko and Lucky $even being played multiple times on this set of MDS's is kind of repetitive, I think it's better that they're picking games that casual fans are familiar with - nothing too complex.... yet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:09:10 AM by Voltron291 »

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 02:29:19 AM »
All I've seen is the Clock Game moment. But here's my question: Where the heck are the clangers! :) If that's not clanger worthy...

Offline weatherdan882002

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 02:36:17 AM »
I just want to say how STUNNED I was w/ that Clock Game win! I find this win very ironic, considering that she said she hadn't seen the game played before. That got me a bit doubtful, but after getting that first price correct right off the bat, just about all my doubt went away! Infact, I thought she'd guess $999 the first time the second time too! When she started w/ $1400, I started to get a bit worried, but after going back down to $899, I knew she'd be ok.

But yeah, that clock shouldn't have moved a bit w/ that first guess, so she really won it within 7 seconds...

Aside from the $1,000,000 win, the most enjoyable MDS in a LONG time, infact, almost ever...
"There's a solution for every problem on this show." - Bob Barker

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 02:43:17 AM »
Mary: PRIME TIME EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Winner!

Cynthia: MOTHER OF ALL PRIME TIME EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERSTM HALL OF FAME! And highest winning female game show winner on CBS as well.

As for Alexander's SP prize playing in PL!NKO!...

Let's just say that he's not a LF&T when you say that Stanley's book is $40-something.

:headbang:
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.