Author Topic: FULL RECAP -TPiR MDS 05/07/2008  (Read 34306 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP -TPiR MDS 05/07/2008
« on: May 07, 2008, 10:47:39 PM »
The Price is Right MDS - May 7, 2008
Production #0032SP

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Rachel

Models of the Day: Everybody currently active except Gwennie
Wearing: Sherri Hill

1   Trip to Peurto Vallarta (NWA Vacations; 6n @ Marriott)(A&T)
BRENDA *3901 DEWEY 2800 JEREMY 3600 LINDSAY 3000 ($4100)

Brenda from Angier, NC plays ONE WRONG PRICE for 3 Mini Coopers

Hatchback (Std., USB, Wheel, Foglight)(B)$17,051$20,750
S Convertible (Std., Wheels, AT, Seat)(L)PICK27,80027,800LOSS
S Clubman (Std., Conv., Cold, Prem., Sport, Stereo)(G)33,600

Professor Carey's Math: 3 Mini Coopers=1 Full Size Car. He's actually not far off.

2   Heatland 36" Fridge/Freezer (P&R)
RITA 2400 +Dewey 2600 +Jeremy 2479 +Lindsay *2601 ($5065)

*** $1,000,000 GAME ***

Lindsay from San Diego, CA, prepare thyself. IT'S THE $100,000 PL!NKO! PRIMETIME!!! with the Golden Chip (3 in the $20K=A shot at the mil)

Free Chip(6)500R
Retrostyle Popcorn Maker8/9939*(4)Plunko!(3)   20000WIN!
Spongetach Car Wash Kit6/0020*(4)0L
Compact Buffet Range1/2282*(3)500LTotal
Space Bag Hanging Bag5/2212*(6)20000  $41,000

3   (Samsung) 52" LCD HDTV (A&L)
Rita 4600 +Dewey 3800 +Jeremy *3900 CHRISTOPHER 2800 ($4298)

Jeremy plays POCKET ¢HANGE for a LINCOLN! MKZ (Std., GPS, Wheels, Stereo, Prot)(G)

1st.253
2nd125792X
.507X
.755*(11).05.30
3rd12–799X
1.007X
1.252*(18).10.40
4th1––797*(16).00.40
5th1–––99*( 6 ).10.50   LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1
$4,100Brenda20 + 25.45Through to Showcase Round
4,298Jeremy10 + 50.60
46,208Brenda70 stay.70

4   Pulaski San Mateo Bed/Comfort Solutions Laura Ashley (B)
Rita *4500 +Dewey 1 VANCE 5600 Christopher 5100 ($4897)

Rita plays 5-Number PUSHOVER for 2 Suzuki SV650S Motorcycles (R&T)

Setup0:9 8 0 1 3 7 9 8 3
Pick:9 8 0[1 3 7 9 8]
Price$13,798   WIN!

You're tempted to say "Duh!", but you've got to think somewhere out there's a $19,000 motorcycle. Better have mud flaps, too.

5   (Puck Off) Shuffleboard Video Game (L)
MEGAN 2100 +Dewey 4200 Vance 3100 Christopher *3101 ($3895)

Christopher plays ANY NUMBER

Picks: 7 6 2 5 9 4 0
Ford Expedition XLT (Std., Conv., Sensor, Seats, Prot)(B)$3 6,– 9 –($36,398)
Zojirushi Small Appliances (G)$7 – 5(715)
That Damned Piggy Bank$4.0 2LOSS

Two things are worth pointing out now. First, the good: Vance is deaf. As far as I know, he's the first one I've ever seen on the show. (Somehow, though, I bet he's not the first one ever.) Now, the bad: Dewey needs to escape the Row now for Mimi's waiting at the "First Four" Breakfast Club to give him a sign - the sign of the "L"...

6   StarTrack Spinner Velo Spinning Bike/S Series Recumbent Bike (A&P)
Megan *3200 +Dewey 3800 Vance 3100 RAYMOND 1357 ($3644)

Dewey heads off to the clubhouse while Megan from Maine plays PICK A PAIR for an Electracraft 16CS 15.6' Party Barge (All)($24,531)

(4) Spike Santa Fe Salsa Con Queso$2.99KEEPS
(5) (Old Spice) Deodorant4.19
(3) CLR Bath/Kitchen Cleaner4.19LOSS
(1) Midol Caplets (8 pk)2.99
(2) (Pompeiian) Olive Oil
(6) Citracal Petites (120)

SHOWDOWN #2
$3,644Megan85 stay.85Through to Showcase Round
3,899Christopher35 + 60.95
18,695Rita60 + 20.80

SHOWCASE ROUND
Lindsay has the honor.
Winning bid within $500 = Both showcases and The Million

Theme: Country Girl (R) meets City Girl (L). It's a two-parter.

SC1-Lindsay Jovani Strapless Evening Gown
Hubert 14k White Gold Bracelet
Cupcake Handbag (L)
(Rowe Laserstar) 100 CD Jukebox (B&T)
Chevy Corvette (Std., AT, #Z51, #3LT)(G)
BID$72,000
PRICE74,415
DIFF–2,415
TOTAL$120,633
SC2-Christopher Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle Mower (R)
4 Stetson Cowboy Hats
(Yamaha) Home Theater System (G&P)
Largo Hearthstone Dining Group/Francoma Green Creek DInnerware (A)
Winnebago 23' Motorhome (G&P)
BID$58,000
PRICE77,727
DIFF–19,727

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $202,477

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:35:53 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP -TPiR MDS 05/05/2008
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
This show never got any excitement or energy going because of a tough start and nothing sparked it:

-1WP: How the heck was this lost? a) It had a random -081, b) It looked way underpriced compared to the other two. Someone in the crowd had no clue, because she had it but then she changed her mind...
-Pl!nko: Now see, this would have been a great spark if it wasn't the M$PG again. I thought for sure that all of these were unique...a new record for this game is all so bitter for me. The SPs were easy on purpose to make sure she had a shot at it.
-Crazy Lot: The diversity of the games played this year is a plus. Unfortunately, 2.00 always shows up when the contestant only needs .50 and crappy stuff comes up when the contestant needs a dollar or more. My original thought was 32591 from a previous MDS, but it didn't end up that tricky...
-OB4: If only he could get up on stage, we could hear his backstory from his translator, Amber, the crowd will be rooting for him, it could be a car...
-Pushy: Easy, easy pickings, didn't even need the 2x99 rule.
-OB5: OMG, he dared to 1-up him!! And that completely silenced the crowd, Drew couldn't even make a joke out of it. :(
-A#: Chris is punished for denying a big opportunity for an excited moment with a DOB setup. I figured it was $795, but $36,398, with the 0 in the bank...
-OB6: Did Vance misinterpret the bids? He had a chance to 1-up and missed it. I hope he enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame. :)
-PaP: Gigantic party boat up for grabs = DOB alert! $2.99 for caplets = impossible...
-SCs: Liked how the themes continued and went together. From the results, I thought Chris garfed much, much more, but it must have been a smaller Winnebago than the 119k SC before. Another excellent bid to insure a win, but not quite close enough for the million...but she'll take all of that cash for 120k+ in prizes, for sure. ;)

B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:07:17 PM »
I would have loved to seen Pocket Change as the MDPG by getting every number in their correct spot.

Who knew we'd see a five-digit Pushover for something other than a car?

Hi Tech, Lo Tech last week.  City and Country this week with four Stetson John Bradshaw Layfield hats in the Country showcase...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:44:23 PM by ClockGameJohn »
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »
Another North Carolinian! Way to go, Brenda!

Props to the staff for accomodating Vance despite his disability. I thought that was great of them.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Lindsay
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP -TPiR MDS 05/07/2008
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:25:29 PM »
As a communication facilitator for deaf and hard of hearing people, let me just say "Yay!" for Vance. Its a shame he and his interpreter didn't get on stage, though...
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »
And a couple years ago on daytime, I remember a CBS page bringing down a contestant in a wheel chair.  Too bad she didn't get on stage.
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »
And I know one other season someone in a wheel chair won his way up and obviously they had to edit it to where they picked it up where he came out where richs podium is and they had a ramp set up to get him on the turntable.  I don't remember what game he played.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »
I would have loved to seen Pocket Change as the MDPG by getting every number in their correct spot.

I think the suspense would be pretty crappy when the first guess ruins it.  I think one important aspect of a M$G is adding some suspense.  That would be like saying "You have to get the price exactly right on your first guess in Clock Game."

Who knew we'd see a five-digit Pushover for something other than a car?

...but, we have.  Many times.

And a couple years ago on daytime, I remember a CBS page bringing down a contestant in a wheel chair.  Too bad she didn't get on stage.

Two wheelchair contestants have been on stage.

Tonight's deaf contestant is most likely the first ever, but I don't think it's going to be the last.  :)

Good show tonight once again.  One Wrong Price for the three cars in ONE door was pretty dern cool.
John

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 11:48:24 PM »
Push Over was freakin' easy man!  The Dob obviously wanted a win on this won.

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 11:56:53 PM »
This was one of the tapings i attend (i couldve never said anything and QSW'd in CSS, lol)  This show had stop tape so many times.....  Especially when Vance was chosen.  There was literally about a 15 minute discussion right after he was called trying to figure out how he would be, roger got involved, drew was getting mad about probably why would they chose him if they werent prepared for an interpreter, etc.... It was finally done though

As far as the corvetter, they originaly pushed it SO SLOW.. this was edited, it actually took about 20 seconds from the time Rich said "a new"... until the corvetter actually appeared on stage.  It was HILARIOUS...  I throughly enjoyed it for my first taping, not to mention seeing plinko finally in person for the first time after my 10th taping...  man the board is really small, but what a big haul!

More details later..
GO CAROLINA!!
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline starcade

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »
This was the one of the MDS tapings of this set that I attended.  Maddy was supposed to, but wasn't feeling well.

After we ran into a guy who thought his stuff stunk and all in the line (no, not a prospective audience member -- one of those twentysomething punks that you see all the time) and proceeded to tick off all the guys and hit on all the gals for about SIX HOURS (using every swear word in the book for his every third word...), I don't think Maddy would've made it.

Once the Million Dollar Game was announced, she told me tonight that she wouldn't have.

A bad off-day for the crew and all -- this was not one of their better efforts, and you saw only some of the issues.  Not meaning to be too much of a party-pooper, but there definitely needs to be some tightening of the screws over there, because, I think, you could kinda tell things were coming apart in the Showcases.

Well, with that, here's the game-by-game, with some of the stuff you didn't see:

One Wrong Price:  I think basically everybody in the place that I could hear was wrong.  We were all kind of amongst ourselves about whether it was the Cooper convertible or the Cooper wagon.  Nope.

Million Dollar Plinko:  Oh, I knew it was coming -- I knew it was coming from the way that Drew was beginning to describe the whole process.  Urgh. Urgh.  Urgh.  Yes, I tried to be the good little audience member (even screaming "THAT'S ONE!" on the first chip to hit the $20K), but that's just not plausible unless you make it two chips in the middle for the Golden Shot.  And Plinko is just plain over-done.  But, as Maddy told me tonight, it really does sound like the bulk of TPiR viewers think the show began when Plinko did.

Roger, ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE PLINKO!!!

Predictably, just like the last time that they did Million Dollar Borko, the show went downhill from there...

Pocket Change:  Drew goofed.  When they did it originally, Drew actually asked the contestant for the first number in the price.  That was a stop-tape to rectify the mess.  The moment I saw the 5 in the second spot, thanks for coming...

Then, the 4th IUFB...  First, I do believe that's the first totally deaf contestant in the history of the show.  Correct me on that.  Jeff did a nice thing by basically taking the cue card (yes, all the names were on cue cards for this one) and showing it right in front where the guy could see it.  Great guy -- got to meet him after the show.

Of course, they had another stop here.  The camera that was supposed to show the bed was pointed at door #3.  Of course, this wouldn't be a problem...

Except the bed was behind door #2!!  Five more minutes down the drain...

At least this was a blessing in disguise, as it allowed Drew (and probably some of the S&P people as well) to logistically work out just how the guy  was going to bid and what could be done with the interpreter and the like.

One suggestion, if Roger reads this:  In the future, if a deaf contestant is in CR, write down the bids for his benefit.

Push Over:  First thing I had to check was to make sure it was five digits.  Once it was, I knew there was only one combination.  Way too easy, right?

Tell that to the lady who just stood up there like she was going to keep going and think the bikes were, what, 80 thousand??

So, here's me after about 10 seconds:  "ONE MORE!!! ONE MORE!!!!"

(then she does -- and just stands there like she wants to go on and keep pushing)

"STOP!!  CEASE!!!  HALT!!  DESIST!!!"

And then, the one the mics did pick up:  "STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(Followed by an elbow to the ribs by the poor shlub next to me.)

Then, I forget if it was before IUFB 5 or 6, but another stop-down, as one of the lights had to be reset.  Drew was very understanding and took questions from the audience and was a lot of fun, but I think one could tell that the MDS was getting to people.

Any Number:  Ouch.  Of course, when Christopher froze out the deaf guy, he did get booed.  That bid, though correct strategy and what won him the shot at the SUV, was NOT popular.

Pick-A-Pair:  Jeff Thisted is going to get it.

He really is.

I was sitting third row on the right side (left to the viewer) -- balding guy, green shirt, glasses, almost got his arm taken off by the last person to be called to Contestants' Row...  Jeff is basically where he usually is at points like this, and that meant he was in front of me.

Contestant picks Salsa, $2.99.

Now, I've bought that blasted deodorant (or stuff like it), and I swear it was only about $3 or so.  So I'm screaming for the deodorant.

She picks it -- comes up...  $4.19.

Jeff turns his head to me and raises his eyebrow at me, as if to say, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."

Jeff, you just got on the same list Roger got on when Roger smiled and shrugged after Dennis lost Lucky Seven a year ago!!!  Love ya to pieces, Jeff, but you know I'm going to remember that one.

But the MEDICINE was $2.99???

Even 8 caplets??

Showcases:  Botched them both.  Thought the second one was $100K.

Of course, the entire showcase segment was pretty summarily botched.

So much so, the first one had to be COMPLETELY RESHOT after the show finished.

Not only did the contestant who won that showcase openly cringe at the evening gown (during the reshoot:  "Smile...  Smile..."), but, when the Corvette was announced, there was about a 12-second delay as the car slowly crawled out and Rich was trying his hardest to hold it as long as he could -- and then just threw up his hands when he finished that line...

(Can't say I blame him...)

It was pretty clear, by what aired, that the whole show was pretty much out of sorts by the time the showcases were going on.  I can only hope the second taping went better.  Had a great time -- but some work is needed to oil the fine-tuned machine a bit...

MOD NOTE: Consecutive posts merged. The following came in response to the post above. - JC

... This show had stop tape so many times.....  Especially when Vance was chosen.  There was literally about a 15 minute discussion right after he was called ...

The stoppage was because the camera actually was pointed at door #3 and the IUFB (the bed) was behind door #2...

As I said, blessing in disguise, though, because it gave them the chance to deal with how they were going to address the situation with him.

As far as the corvetter, they originaly pushed it SO SLOW.. this was edited, it actually took about 20 seconds from the time Rich said "a new"... until the corvetter actually appeared on stage. ...

"A newwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........... ......

CORVETTE!!!"

*Rich throws up his hands at the mis-timed entrance...*
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 02:18:32 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline ElCheapo

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »
I think a lot of people could have picked the wagon as the 1WP. I liked the setup though!

I had a feeling Plinko would repeat as the MDG one of these episodes.

I don't think Push Over can be any easier than that.

Who else wanted to throw a Boston creme pie at the screen when Christopher 1-upped Vance?

I have mixed feelings about the $500 cap for the DS/mil wins. On one hand, it's a little fairer for the game. But then that, as you might expect, decreases the chances for more $1m wins.

I like it when the 2nd showcase is a continuation of the 1st showcase's story. This one reminded me of the old story with the urban and rural mice.
"Tise is a Robbobie Kive me A The money before I shote you" - Robbery Note, Headlines (2/12/08)

Offline starcade

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 12:32:15 AM »
Who else wanted to throw a Boston creme pie at the screen when Christopher 1-upped Vance?

Audible groaning and booing in the audience on that one.  NOT a popular bid.

Correct, yes...  Popular?  Hell no.

I have mixed feelings about the $500 cap for the DS/mil wins. On one hand, it's a little fairer for the game. But then that, as you might expect, decreases the chances for more $1m wins.

Discussed during one of the stoppages.  Blame the insurance company and the policy they made for the million-dollar gimmick for that one.  The insurance company wanted to reduce their risk and exposure for the big payout, so the window was halved.

Offline Vexorg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 12:41:18 AM »
I kind of skimmed through the show (addicted to Tivo), but here are some of my thoughts:

1WP:  Can we say that the whole domestic car thing is officially out the window now?  There's nothing remotely American about Mini Coopers.  Still nice to see some new cars on the show though.  I was tempted to go with the convertible (they have a base price around $20k for a coupe, but add enough options on those Minis and the price goes through the roof,) but the coupe price was just way too low.

Pocket Change:  I would have stumbled into the right price on the first try by random guessing.

Pushover:  I don't know how you could have made this one more of a gimme than it was.

Showcase bids: SC1: $52,500 (Garf)
SC2: $58,000 (even bigger Garf)

Havent been watching the daytime show much lately, but I thought it was an OK episode, not great.

Offline Bully

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 01:07:57 AM »
good show
I LOVE the price is right!!