Author Topic: FULL RECAP -TPiR MDS 05/07/2008  (Read 34307 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP -TPiR MDS 05/07/2008
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »
I liked the City Girl and Country Girl showcases; it's nice when the showcases have a shared theme and that there is actually acting done. The presentation was a little different, with the models actually carting out the prizes or perhaps them walking over to where it was already on display onstage (and not behind a door).

Lindsay had an excellent bid on her showcase, BTW. Oooh, so close to becoming a $2 million winner — just one Plinko chip here and a couple of thousand dollars higher on the showcase bid ... . She easily was the best contestant on tonight's MDS.

More foreign makes make their way back to TPiR! This time, the Brits are represented with the Mini Cooper. We've seen Japan and Great Britian represented, now let's see if we get other Asian and/or Eurpoean countries represented.

Brian

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 08:51:48 AM »
One-Bid #1:  $4,100 for a Mexico trip on NWA?  Roger, your trip pricing disgusts me sometimes. :-D

1WP:  Great to see this game played for three cars again... but MINI Coopers?!  That's now 5 foreign cars offered in the last 24 hours.  The recent re-inclusion of foreign cars will totally hamper my CSS performance.  It's taken 3 years to memorize all of these Ford, Chevy, and Dodge prices... now I have to memorize Honda and MINI prices, too?  But back to the game.  Shame on the audience for costing Brenda three cars.  Wasn't my fault--I thought the Clubman wagon was priced too high.

Borko:  Crap, this is the MDPG again?  Well, at least Roger guaranteed that the million would not be won this week.  But at least Lindsay got a new Plinko record out of it.  She beats the $40,000 from the Armed Forces specials a few years ago.

Pocky:  Great to see Pocket Change in primetime for the very first time.

Pushy:  Easiest Pushy playing in history... though Rita almost found a way to blow the forced win.  She kept pointing to the 8 for a price of $80,137.

One-Bid #5:  OMG, I was right!  That game is actually called "Puck Off"!  LOL!  I thought this was a G-rated show.  I was so obsessed with Puck Off that I overlooked the fact that we had an Historic Moment® in Vance becoming the very first hearing-impaired in TPIR history.

Pappy:  I thought this was gonna be a forced win.  $4.19 for a small stick of deodorant?!  $2.99 for Midol?!  Megan was robbed by :clipboard: !

SC #1:  That bid might work for a Corvette convertible, but not a coupe.  Stage Willy.

SC #2:  $58,000 doesn't cover the motorhome... but it's a moot point.

My showcase bids:
Corvette--$60,007
Motorhome--$83,007

Result: :!: :!: :!: I'll be interested to see how much that gown, bracelet, and handbag were.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 08:53:10 AM »
I am not trying to sound like a Deaf people hater... but...

You're not. I work with deaf college students every day (though not as an interpreter - I provide real time closed captioning), and every one of them would tell you to treat them just like any normal person. And if that means 1-upping them on The Price is Right, then... no sympathy!
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
After rewatching the show, I noticed how odd the prize copy sounded for One Wrong Price.

After each car is described, the copy said "...The Mini Cooper!" --- each time!

Couldn't it have been "...The Cooper Convertible" / "...The Cooper Wagon" ?
John

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: FULL RECAP -TPiR MDS 05/05/2008
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
One Wrong Price:  Three cars again!  Too bad Brenda didn’t do as well as the first contestant to play 3-car OWP.  Maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t like the fact it was played behind one door instead of all three Big Doors.

Plinko:  It’s the Million Dollar Pricing Game again?  And the same requirements?  I’m against both things.  They need to have more MDPG before they re-do a game as the MDPG.  Plinko was one of the games I didn’t like having as a MDPG.  Not that it would have made a difference but I would have eliminated the Golden Plinko chip.

Pocket Change:  1st time in MDS!  Another new game in primetime!  Does anybody know if the distribution was the same as in daytime?  Jeremy started off not as good but ended much better.  Too bad he didn’t win the car.

Pre-IUFB #4:  Another deaf contestant.  I believe this is the 2nd one after George from the 10/6/97 show.  Although Vance might have been completely deaf, because George could hear Rod describing the prizes but the audience had to be completely silent.  I wanted Vance to get on stage; too bad that didn’t happen.

Pushover: $13,798 seemed to be the only reasonable price for a pair of motorcycles.  Great to see 5-digit Pushover again.

Any Number: $4 in primetime?  That seems too small.

Pick-a-Pair: 2nd time in primetime (the first was MDS #9).  Too bad she lost, although it does seem like a long time since somebody lost by picking the price of the “discarded” prize.

Showcases:  Again with the similar themes!  :-D

SC1:  My Bid: $68,145 / Diff: $6,270
SC2:  My Bid: $71,315 / Diff: $6,412

During the first part of SC1, the show was interrupted to cover the storm, so I missed part of it, which may have affected my bidding.  Fortunately, I was quickly informed that I get TPIR on another channel because in the living room TV, we get cable.  (Now I have a good reason to be thankful we recently got cable!)

Not exactly on the topic of the MDS, but while watching it, I noticed a commercial for the daytime TPIR.  After Bob’s retirement, I’ve seen multiple commercials for TPIR.  Prior to his retirement, I only saw one commercial for TPIR (during Game$how Marathon in 2006). I’m not saying Bob had anything to do with it; I just thought it was interesting seeing more previews currently.

Who knew we'd see a five-digit Pushover for something other than a car?
We've seen it many times, the last of which was on Bob's final MDS.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »
Tonight's show was a mixed feeling. Some things went great and other things could've went better. Drew got to be a pimp again, this time with 4 models walking him out instead of 2.

Triple.....I mean One Wrong Price- Nice to see this game played for 3 cars again. And they weren't just any cars, they were mini-coopers! It was a great playing however the staging could've been done better. The cameramen seemed to have a hard time getting great shots of the cars. What they should've done was to put each car behind a different big door. Too bad she didn't win, otherwise she would've been the biggest winner in One Wrong Price. Hopefully will start seeing mini-coopers on the daytime show soon.

Plunko!- The Dob didn't learn the first time :headbang: At least she was able to set the new Plinko record! Punch-a-Bunch would've been a better choice!

Pocket change- bummer. He really stumbled through the game

Push Over- quite obvious.

Any Number- Too bad he didn't do better. I figured the 0 was gonna be the last number since he picked 5 earlier and was wrong.

Pick a Pair- I was oh so confident that party boat was hers!

Showcases- Again another flaw I saw in staging. That jukebox was too far to the side of the big door. Luckily they have monitors so the contestant could see it.

I would've loved to see how Vance did at his pricing game, should he have gotten on stage. The show was great, however I think Drew could've been in a better mood.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »
One Wrong Price:  Three cars again!  Too bad Brenda didn’t do as well as the first contestant to play 3-car OWP.  Maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t like the fact it was played behind one door instead of all three Big Doors.

It's been done before...and it did use all three doors before.  They had to 'cheat' by using three of the smallest cars on Earth to get them all inside one door this time.  :)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »
Ratings are in -
Price barely beat Deal in overall viewership (7.59 million versus 7.22 million) but barely lost on 18-49 viewership (1.8/5 vs. 1.9/5)
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline goodboy16

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
Pre-IUFB #4:  Another deaf contestant.  I believe this is the 2nd one after George from the 10/6/97 show.  Although Vance might have been completely deaf, because George could hear Rod describing the prizes but the audience had to be completely silent.  I wanted Vance to get on stage; too bad that didn’t happen.

Actually, George from the 10/6/97 episode was blind. The audience stayed silent during the Rod's prize plugs so George could hear the descriptions clearly since he couldn't actually see the items.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »
Oops! :oops:  I had even checked the Season Timeline, so I could know the date, but for some reason, I missed the part about him being blind.  I guess I thought that since the audience remained silent, George must have been deaf since all other contestants could hear the announcer describe the prizes despite the noise in the studio and the hearing of a blind person isn't affected.

It's been done before...and it did use all three doors before.  They had to 'cheat' by using three of the smallest cars on Earth to get them all inside one door this time.  :)

Just to clarify, I know that all of the Big Doors were used for three-car One Wrong Price before.  I wish they would have done the same thing for this MDS.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:35:46 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
It's nice to see some more different games on a MDS, such as Pocket Change.

My dad was watching last night with me.  I think I may have converted him into a TPIR fan! :-)

As for the Mini Coopers on One Wrong Price, I went with the first car as the wrong price, I was right!

It's so nice to see Any Number and Pocket Change played for $30,000+ cars for a change.  I think Card Game should be played for $30,000+ cars since they changed the starting bid to $15,000.  I think all of the car games should be played for boats occasionally on a MDS.

Even though Push Over was the only game won (Plinko did have a $41,000 winner), it was still an enjoyable show.

I thought it was great to see some more people with disabilities have a chance to be a contestant.  TPIR is a great example.  I had often wondered about how they would have handled a hearing-impaired contestant, but the mystery was solved last night.  Kudos to TPIR and the staff for handling it so smoothly.  I would have liked to have seen Vance and his interpreter get out of contestants row.  Interestingly, the two wheelchair contestants both played pricing games on the turntable (one played Cover Up and won, the other played Switcheroo).

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 03:04:41 PM »
This is the first time I've ever reviewed an episode.

One Wrong Price: I guess foreign cars are the norm now.

Plinko: They can't think of another million dollar game?

Pocket Change: Painful loss. Nice shot of frequency chart.

Push Over: VERY Easy win. I thought it was 4-digit after I saw the numbers.

Any Number:  Kinda hard. It's painful when the first digit also appears again in the price.

Pick-A-Pair: I've never seen Brandi or Gabby in a bikini before, and I liked it.  :-D

Showcases: Nice skit. I'm from Texas so I liked the second one, but I would have bid on the first one cause the Corvette is my favorite car.

My bids-
SC1: $65,000    ARP: $74,415    DIFF: $9,415
SC2: $101,000  ARP: $77,727    DIFF: OVER

Four out of Six Pricing Games were 'P' games.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
Drew got to be a pimp again, ...

And since when was he ever a pimp? Am I missing something here?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:58:54 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline GedAlexNeil30

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
Wow, three Mini Coopers offered in One Wrong Price!  Other than the fact that it's another foreign car appearing on the show, it was cool to see them offer the various trim levels of that car ...

Actually if they were the original Mini Coopers, they WERE pretty much that small, but these are about as big as a Toyota Yaris or a Kia Rio.

Speaking of that, maybe they should offer Hyundais and Kias now (unless they're segueing back into offering foreign cars by offering the ones built in the US first)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:51:41 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
Speaking of that, maybe they should offer Hyundais and Kias now (unless they're segueing back into offering foreign cars by offering the ones built in the US first)
Actually, I'm pretty sure those are the ONLY ones we're gonna be getting for some time.  Seems to me that the 'American cars only' rule is being shifted from 'American-branded cars only' to 'American-built cars only'.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy