Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 05/14/2008  (Read 42546 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 05/14/2008
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
Boy, CBS is on the ball. The video of this show is already up. You know where to go.

The Price is Right MDS - May 14, 2008
Production #0031SP

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: mixed
Handoff: Lanisha

Models of the Day: Everybody active except Gwennie
Wearing: Panopoly

1   Catalina 12.5 Expo Sailboat (A&P)
3-DELESHIA 3 4-ROBERT M. *3650 2-JIMMY 1000 1-AJA 2700 ($4827)
STUPID BID

Robert M. gets to walk down the GOLDEN ROAD

(Market Pantry) Green Beans$.61
2 Daisy Rock Acoustic Girl Guitars (G)–286628*
Prospot HG5 Home Gym (T)5–9425294*
Fleetwood Icon 24D Motorhome (BL&R)102–789102478LOSS

2   2 (Apache 5.0) Mountain Bikes (T)
+Deleshia *1000 LACRETIA 600 +Jimmy 800 +Aja 601 ($3500)

*** $1,000,000 GAME ***

Delishia plays PUNCHBOARD

The top prize is $50,000 - and there's only one of it on the board (plus 3 $25K, 10 $5K, and 12 each of $100, $500 & $1K). If Deleshia's first punch nets the $50K Card on the very first punch (no second chances), she gets the million.

R/C Dune Buggy$95LOWER$50*(10)5000
CD Cleaner20HIGHER40*(22)1000
(Totes) Air Compressor15HIGHER30*(28)100sc(43)500   LOSS
Rainbow Toiletry Bag12LOWER25

3   Heartland Paragon Stainless Range (B&G)
BENJAMIN 3900 Lacretia 4000 +Jimmy 3300 +Aja 4001 ($5299)

Aja from Boston, MA plays CLIFF HANGERS for a Grand Luxe Great Northwestern National Parks Rail Journey (via Seattle)(APR&T)($15,386)

Space Bag (Jumbo)$20$119 to 9
Spongetech Car Care Kit17203 to 12
Universal Garage Key System40382 to 14   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1
$4,220Deleshia55 stay.55
10,749Robert M.45 + 45.90Through to Showcase Round
20,754Aja5 + 35.40

4   Home Theater System (B&T)
Benjamin 1900 Lacretia 1000 Jimmy *1901 ROBERT H. 1500 ($4950)

Jimmy plays LUCKY SEVEN for a Porsche Cayman (Std., Pref.)(R)

Picks:6 5
Price:   $5 2 8 4 9
Bucks:7 3 0LOSS

The display of that last One-Bid Item is no doubt headed for the blooper reel. No matter what Brandi or Tamiko did for a few seconds, the doors on that stereo wouldn't cooperate. Worked fine in rehearsal, made them look like total fools when the tape rolled. (Or, some joker stagehand unplugged the silly thing)

5   His/Hers Ski/Snowboard Equipment (A&P)
Benjamin 3100 Lacretia 1 CRYSTAL *4100 Robert H. 4300 ($4238)

Crystal from Fresno, CA plays GROCERY GAME for a Broyhill Chastain Park Living Room Group (L), a Broyhill Affinity Dining Group (B), and a Broyhill Fontana Bedroom Group (G)($13,747)

(2) Midol Caplets (8)2 x   .99$1.98–19.02
(1) Spike Santa Fe Chunky Salsa6 x 2.99$17.9419.92–  1.08
(5) (Uncle Ben's) Instant Brown Rice1 x 1.9921.91LOSS
(3) Alka Seltzer (12)
(4) CLR Bath/Kitchen Cleaner

Lacretia has had no luck tonight escaping the Row. Waiting off in the wings is Mimi, and she's just biting at the bit to see someone banished to the "First Four" Breakfast Club. Is a severe punishment in Lacretia's future...or perhaps something much better?

6   Health Mate Far Infrared Home Sauna (T)
Benjamin 5100
+Lacretia 5101
NADINE 4500
Robert H. 5000
"35"
OVERBID
($4150)

Lacretia from Antioch, CA escapes! She plays 5-Number SQUEEZE PLAY for a Chevy Suburban LT (Std., OnStar, Rack, #LTZ)(GLP&R)

Setup:4 7 3 0 9 5
Pick:$ 4 7 3 9 5
Price:$ 4 7 3 9 5WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$4,238Crystal30 + 50.80
4,950Jimmy15 + 45.60
51,545Lacretia35 + 60.95Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Lacretia has the honor.

SC1-Robert M. HOW TO MAKE YOURSELF EARTH-FRIENDLY
Juliana Aluminum Greenhouse/Garden Equipment (A)
Segway Personal Transporter (B)
Saturn VUE Green Line Hybrid (Std., Comfort, Conv.)(P)/Ford Escape Hybrid (Std.)(T)
BID$66,550
PRICE60,619
DIFFOVER
SC2-Lacretia LIFE IN HOLLYWOOD
Trip to New York City (NWA Vacations; 3n)
Dell XPS1 Desktop Computer (R)
12' Widescreen Outdoor Movie Theater (G)
Cadillac SLR (Std., V8, AT, Wheels)(R)
BID$64,000
PRICE88,439
DIFF–24,439
TOTAL$139,984

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $184,895

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:34:18 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 05/14/2008
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:17:13 PM »
Didn't Bob want Porsches off of TPIR because of something related to animal rights? I sure hope they've changed whatever they did to make Bob ban them, because that would be really low if the staff brought Porsches back despite that.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Aja
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »
Didn't Bob want Porsches off of TPIR because of something related to animal rights? I sure hope they've changed whatever they did to make Bob ban them, because that would be really low if the staff brought Porsches back despite that.

There's an ongoing thread about that (see Foreign Cars in the main forum). It apparently had nothing to do with animal rights and nothing to do with the foreign car ban, but I can't get the story out of anybody! (edit: army is probably right - there's probably not some backstory here...)

Otherwise, this was a decent MDS... nothing too spectacular. I thought Punch-A-Bunch as the million dollar game was kind of stupid - they should really be based on pricing skill (like One Away and Switcheroo), and not luck...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:27:04 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:24:31 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the reason is simply that Porsches aren't American.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:24:17 AM »
Yay for Punch a Bunch finally coming back to prime time!  With a pretty unexpected prize increase, too!  Not sure how I feel about the $50,000 top prize.  On one hand, it seems unnecessarily high, but on the other hand, Plinko has a $100,000 top prize.  Guess it's nice to see something else that can compete with Plinko!

Yay for the Punch a Bunch frequency chart close-up!  I do wonder which four amounts had second chances, though.  Could a $5000 slip have actually had a second chance?

Still speaking on Punch a Bunch, I hope the new hole coverings aren't brought over to daytime:  the Pricedown dollar sign paper was hardly visible on camera.  The old bold generic dollar signs are a lot more vibrant on TV.

And yet still speaking of Punch a Bunch, on one hand, no one's ever going to give up $25,000 if they get a $25,000 slip.  On the other hand, that's pretty much the same situation with the $5000 slips in daytime, so it's not really a problem anyway.

And because four paragraphs isn't enough, I do wonder whether or not the $50,000 slip was hiding in a corner.  I mean, I know the show has no reason not to try to give the $1 million away, but who the heck knows the exact stipulations for the insurance policy?  I can kinda' see them wanting more money if they were going to put it in a corner.

And because I'm writing a novel about Punch a Bunch, even though it was just a dumb, completely random, corner-analysis notwithstanding, this was one of the better $1 million pricing game executions.  Mostly because winning it was both actually possible, unlike with Range Game, Plinko, and Safe Crackers, and didn't require risking anything, unlike with Half Off and Safe Crackers.

And yay!  Two SPs again!  So even if the "final" show next week is SP-less, we're still coming out ahead, with at least five SPs played in four shows!

Speaking of "other SP" Cliff Hangers, when did the space bag suddenly jump up in price?  I actually thought that was the first SP in years to be under $10 in Pathfinder a couple weeks ago.

Tonight's Grocery Game basically proved that Roger can make Grocery Game difficult without resorting to nothing but $5.00+ products.  Two Midol seemed like a very good way to start.  No normal person would've guessed they were even close to only 99¢, and before someone complains that they knew, please remember we're not normal.  Crystal actually played the game well, starting with a small amount of a medicinal product, which is usually a great starting move.  Just not with that el cheapo Midol.  Built her total up pretty nicely, but just didn't have any elbow room to win in the end.  Always a shame when someone loses like that.  Even if, technically, she did have a sub-$1.00 product she could've very theoretically bailed herself out of the situation with.

Thank God Lacretia ignored the bizarre shouts of "7" from the audience in Squeeze Play.  Seriously... 7?!  I'm disappointed in you, audience.  So meant to be won.  Happy Lacretia ignored that abysmal advice.

And... what the heck was Robert doing with his bidding in the showcase?  Starting with $28,000, gradually getting higher due to the audience pressure, and decides on $48,000.  Then, from seemingly outta' nowhere, bids $66,000!  Pretty drastic increase from $28,000.  I'm also curious why he decided to raise his $48,000 bid, which he seemed like he'd settle on, by so much.

Quote from: mrbrown2195
I thought Punch-A-Bunch as the million dollar game was kind of stupid - they should really be based on pricing skill (like One Away and Switcheroo), and not luck...

Maybe, but on the other hand, aside from One Away, this was actually the most likely for the $1 million to actually be won!  Just 1 in 50, which is better than almost everything else.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:50:28 AM »
Tonight's show was kind of mediocre. The budget was obviously a lot more over the top than it has been in the past shows.

Golden Road- I figured it was either the 4 or 9 and a slight chance of it being a 5. At least he got the guitars and the workout center. Did anyone else notice the dots were lined so they went from prize to prize and there weren't as many dots as usual?

Punch-a-Bunch- YAY we got a prize increase! I was hoping this would be a million dollar pricing game. There idea was okay, but again it seemed unlikey she would've gotten the $50,000 on her first punch. What I would've done instead was to put a $1,000,000 slip in.

Cliffhangers- Yay a win!

Lucky 7- Wow a Porsche! I was actually getting ready to ask in the other thread I made if Porsche's still existed. There's my answer. Too bad he didn't win, but at least that 2 and 8 helped put him out of his misery seeing that the price was a Dob-Stopper. ($52,849)

Grocery Game- You know that's funny that they used the same kind of prize package tonight that they did on an Armed Forces Special 6 years ago. She played the game well though.

Squeeze Play- Kinda tough but I too felt it was the 0 that needed to go.

Showcases- Oh here's where the rest of the Golden Road dots went.  And I felt the bids were actually pretty good bids. I know it's weird but even if a contestant misses by $20,000+ I see it as a good bid because I think it's harder to price the items on an MDS since they aren't often used on the daytime show. And I was almost convinced we had a millionaire seeing those bids. Oh well.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 01:02:58 AM »
IUFB 1: Delescia.....$3 as the first bidder?!! :headbang:

Golden Road: The first prize was a walk in the park, the other two were really hard in my honest opinion.....although I guessed right on the gym and the motorhome on lucky guesses.  My uncle watched this with me and guessed 9 for the motorhome just like Robert. 

Punch a Bunch: I'm glad it's in primetime!!!  Whoa---$50,000?!  And this is the million dollar game?  I have to admit I really liked how this was executed.  The first punch to get $50,000 to win the million----pretty hard but it is doable. 
I have to admit, I feared the worst when Delescia decided to "Pull a Bryan." 

Cliffhangers: I have to admit, Aja played this well----I feared the worst when she said $17 dollars for the car care (I thought $30).  It was all smooth sailing from there.

Lucky Seven: For a PORSCHE?!!!  The last time a Porsche was played was back in the early 1990s for Three Strikes and it was won.  When I heard the "paint sealant" option...I had a hunch this was not going to be pretty.
Anyways.......I felt bad for Jimmy---I really wanted him to win the Porsche.  I don't think Roger wanted that car won---the price was nasty.  Kudos to Drew for showing the rest of the price.

Grocery Game: $0.99 Midol?!!!!!  Good night!!!!  I thought this setup was tricky.

Squeeze Play: I thought alike like Lacretia....taking out the zero.  I also saw members from the audience holding up 7 fingers or saying 7.  Lacretia's reaction to winning.....bittersweet. 

Showcases: I thought Robert had his bid in the bag because I thought alike like him....oh well.  Lacretia definitely cleaned house tonight!  (my bid was 100000---I went over)

Overall a decent MDS.

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 02:05:30 AM »
Terrific idea to increase Punches top prize. Now let's see it in daytime. I never have figured out why it's stayed at 10K even though much easier to win cash games (*cough* Grand Game *cough*) are also 10. Doesn't make much sense. It's much more difficult to get the top prize on Punchy, so I say, increase the top prize to 20K. Then bump everything else one (i.e. 5K to 10, 1K to 5, etc).

Offline Corbinq27

• In Contestant's Row
  • Coming soon to my website...
    • Corbin's World
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 02:56:20 AM »
I really have to say that $1,000,000 Punch-A-Bunch really brightened my day!  It wasn't as stupid as Range Game, 1/2 Off, or Safe Crackers and it wasn't a repeat! 

Did anyone notice in Golden Road that drew accidentally made a slight reveal of what the number was hiding behind the marker for the second prize?  it was only for a split second, but it was enough to see that, yes indeed, a 2 was the right choice.

Screengrab HERE.

Anyway,  good MDS but I wasn't expecting much (considering the rerun lineup that has already been published).

Yay Punch-a-Bunch!  (again).

-Corbin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:44:49 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 06:00:24 AM »
All I can say about this particular show is...wow!

I immediately recognized the Fleetwood Icon motorhome offered in Golden Road because I was looking at Fleetwood motorhomes on their site; the base price for one of them was $93,044.  I guess they loaded the thing up pretty good.  They did a heckuva job with Punchy in my view, and it made for a pretty nifty Million Dollar PG, but I thought I heard Drew say that you had to get all four punches AND get the $50,000 placard on the first punch in order to win the million. 

As for Lucky Seven, I've seen lots of crazy things happen on TPIR, but now...I have officially seen it all.  I can be at peace knowing that I got to witness the first Porsche offered on TPIR (daytime or primetime) since Toni's (somewhat) famous playing of Three Strikes back in 1992--back then, I was only TEN!  My word, how time has flown.  Oh yeah, this proves without a shadow of a doubt that foreign cars are here to stay, and I'm pretty darn proud to see them again.  It makes for a better variety of cars to give away instead of just Fords or Chevys.  :-D

Grocery Game with LOSING HORNS!?!  That hasn't happened in quite a long time!  :mrgreen:

OVERALL SHOW GRADE:  Stuff of Legends (This is the 2nd show I've commented on that has earned this prestigious rating)
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 06:26:06 AM »
I managed to watch this special in HD, and I have to say it looks awesome.  The picture quality is top-notch; the only pitfall is that it made some props, notably Cliff Hangers, look pretty bag.  I could see some yellow splotches of paint on the mountain and I heard one could see one of the rocks on the border missing.

Wow, 6-digit Golden Road!  Unfortunately, one of the cameramen spoiled what was coming because I could see the red prize cove as Drew was walking to the handoff.

Speaking of Golden Road, I really wonder why they stuck the rainbow behind the motorhome when it took up a lot of space in door #2.

Finally, we see primetime Punch A Bunch!  I wonder why they increased the payoff to $50,000. Also, it was the million dollar game; this one is just blind luck, at least it has better chances of winning the million than Plinko. I first thought Drew said all four punches had to be won in order to go for the million.  Also, I am surprised that we see Second Chances used in primetime Punch A Bunch for the first time since 1986, shame that the only one we saw netted Delishia a mere $600.

I think they should bring out the color of the pricedown dollar signs on the Punchboard, they looked barely noticable from far away.

I personally thought Roger was trying to force a loss in Cliff Hangers, the first SP was lower in price than usual, but thankfully the conestant managed to win after guessing well on the second and third SPs.

We see an uncooperative prize for the first time in a while, the models kept waving their hands across the sensor and it wouldn't open until after a few tries.  I am also surprised that that small thing cost almost $5000.  That's just as overpriced as that marshmallow sofa we see in the daytime.

Wow, possibly the first Porsche on the show in 16 years! 

Roger sure did not want the car won in Lucky $even, the guess for the second number really killed Jimmy's chances of winning.

Did the salsa go up in price?  It really stinks that Crystal came so close to winning and then went over with her last purchase.  I think that small package of Midol fooled her.

Finally we see 5-digit Squeeze Play in primetime, after a slew of the 4-digit version!

Geez, two hybrid SUVs in the same showcase!
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline spunker88

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 06:46:20 AM »
I finally got to see this MDS last night. When did they switch the DSW difference from $1000 to $500? Must have got sick of giving away millions.
Picture: 1978 Showcase Dedicated to the Dob

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 07:06:36 AM »
I hate to nit pick...but Lacretia was NOT one of the First Four.  She was the fifth.

Now to the games...

Namesake: For a motorhome.  And tough luck on that. Also, what about that gym with a TV and DVD?!  You never saw something like that before.

Punchbaord: For a million by punching the right one and pulling the $50K slip?  At least she followed the protocol of punching a corner first, but no 50K.

Cliffhangers: We've seen those Space Bags on daytime and previous MDS as well. But great playing despite the early gaffe.

Lucky 7: WWWGMC say? A Porche?!  Well, there's been Hondas, Minis and Jaguars.

Grocery Game: NEVER pick a cheap product first!  :clipboard: Net 10 League of Evil Level Three.

Six Digit Squeeze Play: We all yelled "Zero" im the chatroom.

Showcases: Not all famous peeps who go to Hollywood go through New York...they also go through places like Chicago and Philadelphia...

And spunker, they switched the DSW from $1K to $500 after the two DSWs within three weeks of each other's airings.  The new $500 or less limit started with this batch of shows three weeks ago IIRC.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:18:48 AM by phunguy »
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline djryan

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »
Dang!  Totally missed out on this show!!!  Had my DVR all programmed and came home last  night from work to see that the power went out during the day, totally reseting the clock...

If anyone DVD'd or DVR'd it, can you send me a PM, please...or an email!   :-)  I'll totally be able to thank you back...let's chat!

(and no, Innertbue is not going to work for me due to dial up)

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:57:56 AM by djryan »
COME ON DOWN!

Offline GedAlexNeil30

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 08:25:57 AM »
There's an ongoing thread about that (see Foreign Cars in the main forum). It apparently had nothing to do with animal rights and nothing to do with the foreign car ban, but I can't get the story out of anybody! ...

Yeah, I'm one who has been part of the argument.  On tpir.tv (which is still running BTW), there is a clip of the 3 Strikes with the Porsche, and there was an explanation about it there. (Hope that helps.)

As for Lacretia, although I did not get to actually see this episode, I could see she was NOT one of the first four.  Those were cleaned out after 4 games.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:46:30 PM by Joe_Capitano »