Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/20/2008  (Read 49276 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/20/2008
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »
The Price is Right - May 20, 2008
Production #4342K - Taped Apr. 30, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Gabrielle

Models of the Day: Phire Dawson, Brandi Sherwood and Gabrielle Tuite
Wearing: Issue

1   Bowflex Series 7 Treadmill (B)
JOSEPH 420 JENNIFER 700 TARA 701 VERONICA *850 ($1499)

Veronica from Texas plays SWITCH? for two trips...

Seattle (6n @ Pan Pacific)(P)$4702NO$4702
Santa Fe (via Albuquerque; 6n @ El Dorado)(G)$5547SWITCH$5547WIN!

2   Deering Boston Banjo (P)
+Joseph 777 +Jennifer 800 +Tarrah *801 SAMUEL V 600 ($2029)

Tarrah plays LET EM ROLL for a Honda Civic LX (Std., 140HO, Cruise)(B)($18,395)

(Marie Callender's) Fettuccini Alfredo$2.99
Gold Bond Ultimate HealingHIGHER9.12*
Phillips Caplets (24)LOWER5.49*

THE ROLLS...

1.1 Car & $4000Banks 1
2.1 Car & $3000BAILOUT

3   (Frigidaire) 30" Gas Range/Little Debbie Muffins (G)
+Joseph 1869
+Jennifer 1300
MONIQUE 1100
Samuel V. 1150
OVERBID
($999)

Samuel V. plays SECRET X for an Ashley San Marquesa Dining Group and Fiesta Dinnerware (P)($3671)

F
X
Digital Camera/Keychain 20/50 $ 50 $ 50 *
Libman Wonder Mop 10/25 10 10 *
WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1
$4,870Samuel V.55 + 20.75Through to Showcase Round
5,029Tarrah  5 + 25.30
11,748Veronica40 + 601.00*$1000*   Bonus 15   *$5000*   Through to Showcase Round

4   Broyhill Continents Kitchen Island (B)
+Joseph 2,000,000 +Jennifer 2500 Monique *1 SAMUEL N. 1869 ($1400)
STUPID BID

Monique plays ONE AWAY for a Honda Element EX (Std., 166 HP, Controls, BlkHtr, Mats)(G)

Setup1st Try2nd TryPrice
2 0 4 1 21    2 31    21 5 2 3
3 1 5 2 32 2 4 3 42 2 4 3 22 2 6 3 4
4 2 6 3 43    53    5   33
4 RIGHTLOSS

$2 MILLION? Oh, do I really want to lay it on Joseph...but what I REALLY want to say would get me tossed. Un...believable! Now that he knows what he could have played for, I'll bet he wishes he could take it back. Too late now, pal.

5   Justex Aspere Men's Watch (from above)
+Joseph 969 Jennifer 901 JOSE *1800 Samuel N. 845 ($2330)

Jose from Lima, Peru plays STEP UP

(1) His/Hers Snorkeling Equipment$290
(3) Dimplex Devon Fireplace/Bookcase999+  500
(4) Wireless Home Theater System1999+1000BAILOUT
(2) Human Touch Massage Chair1499

There are times when one contestant stands out for all the wrong reasons. Today it's Joseph. His banishment to the "First Four" Breakfast Club might be the most deserved yet, and Mimi can't wait for him to arrive. That said, there is still the possibility of a major comeback. Will he made the greatest one yet? Not if Jennifer has anything to day about it. She has the last bid (and the same quandry)

6   Gemstone Globe/Clock (B&G)
+Joseph 1868 +Jennifer *1 1200 Samuel N. 2250 ($1180)

Joseph heads off to the clubhouse while Jennifer escapes to play PICK A NUMBER for 2 Kawasaki KX100 Offroad Motorcycles (P)

Setup:$ 6 6[–]8   [2][5][9]
Pick:$ 6 6[9]8
Price:$ 6 6[9]8   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,400Monique30 + 55.85Through to Showcase Round
7,118Jose70 + 50OV
7,878Jennifer55 + 55OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Veronica has the honor.

SC1-Monique Pulaski Casa Cristina Bedroom Group
Bemco Posture Fairfax Sleep Set
buy.com GC (G)
Global Gem E4 Electric Vehicle (B)
BID$15,400
PRICE21,998
DIFF–6,598
SC2-Veronica TAKE A HIKE (P)
Coleman Exponent Backpacking Equipment
Trip to Yosemite (via Fresno; 6n @ Tenaya)
Fleetwood Prowler Travel Trailer
BID$28,120
PRICE30,291
DIFF–2,171
TOTAL$48,039

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6 (with 1 Bailout)
Total Winnings: $74,334

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:35:41 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/20/2008
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
This is completely unorthodox for me, but I am not doing comments in my usual form today.  The reason for this--and I'll repeat what I said in chat several times--is that I believe that today's episode should be declared "an Alan Smithee production".  I don't know what Stan saw in Joseph, but thanks to Joseph's bidding and mannerisms, I want to distance myself from today's episode as much as possible.  No wonder this episode was tagged "NOT FOR RERUN".

Furthermore, the log for today's chat session should also be given an Alan Smithee.  There was so much innuendo that I needed to take a shower after the show.  I am absolutely embarrassed today.  I have never before been embarrassed after watching an episode of Price, and that's saying something.

But if anything positive can be said about today's episode, it's this:  Yay!  Secret X is back from its mini-retirement! :P And it was played in the first half!

And we had another $6,000 winner on the Big Wheel!

My showcase bids:
Room/GEM--$21,169
Trailer--$36,069
(Yes, they both ended in 69 thanks to Joseph...)
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »
Never in my life have I personally hated a contestant more than Joesph today.  That's all I'm going to say.
(A video of the offending bids has been created and is on YouTube...I will post to the proper forum when the no-spoiler time is up)

EDIT:  What's creepy is the date....exactly one month after 4/20/08.

We had the mother of all abrupt edits in Let 'em Roll today...the cubes went from the playing surface to the cup instantly.

Other than that, neat lineup today.  Seeing X third was a treat!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:19:45 PM by tpirfan28 »
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 03:23:02 PM »
Joe Captiano,

I TOTALLY feel you on "not wanting to get booted from this board for speaking the truth!!!  Im at the point now where I dont care.   Some of the players this week, I got no clue where they came from or how they got passed Stan, a VERY SHARP man.

Joseph:   S***** D****** should be "booted" from contestants row after making a bid that obscene.   Plain and simple.  Its other, more serious potential contestants who are so much more worthy of being in Contestants Row.  People like him will be the death of this show sadly.  "Kudos to Drew" for being "man and in charge" not to even waste time with  his DS.  

"2 million. you want it, you got it"...THAT LINE WILL BE DREWS CLASSIC TAG LINE LIKE BOB BARKERS HAPPY GILMORE LINE.

As for Contestant #2 "Would an orginal bid or thought have hurt you?"...Probably so, thank God they didnt win the car and didnt make it to the showcase round...as the showcae round requires some orignal thought.

My contestant of the day is Jennifer, she got on stage FINALLY after being sandwhiched between 2 Sorry People.    And she won a nice price, and carried herself well, with a lot more class than myself if I was in her shoes.  

Safe Travels This Weekend To All,

Keith
4-10-08

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »
C'mon, Fiery.  There's more positive that can be said about today's show.  Namely that Monique was awesome!  It's too bad she didn't win much, because one had to love her energy, and her semi-breaking down, hoping so desperately to have numbers right in One Away, so pleading with the sound effects lady.

And speaking of One Away, I really have to love how Drew handles this particular game.

I thought it was funny how Samuel misunderstood Drew's instructions for saying "alakazam!" in Secret "X."  I was wondering when that was gonna' happen :).

Anyone else worried that Step Up is going to be Super Savered eventually?  Today is the second time in a row where Drew told the contestant to pick out the least expensive remaining prize on the second pick.  Which is potentially bad advice if the first prize picked out was not the least expensive prize.  That obviously wasn't the case today, with the first prize being an ultra-cheap $290, but it worries me, that someone may eventually lose the game directly because they followed Drew's instructions there.

And on another plus, Joseph didn't actually get out of contestants' row.  So things ended well on that note, at least.  That's all I'm gonna' say about that subject, though.

Quote from: 2008nowandthen
As for Contestant #2 "Would an orginal bid or thought have hurt you?"...Probably so, thank God they didnt win the car and didnt make it to the showcase round...as the showcae round requires some orignal thought.

This is really getting tiring.  There's a difference between not liking the $1ing strategy because it's mean, and not liking the $1ing strategy because it's stupid.  It may be mean, but as long as you're the last bidder, it's a completely legitimate strategy that works.  Why is it stupid to better one's odds of winning?

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
Even though the wins weren't there, a very good (and in OBs, weird) show!

OB1: Arrgh, 420...more on him later...
Switchy: Honestly a toss-up, but I've seen Seattle <5k before, so I went the same as Veronica.
LER: Honda Numero Cinco needed some luck to be won, and it was not there at all. Good bailout.
X: Out of its mini, the easy middle-setup with easy SPs, but with easy wins comes cheap kindling!
SD1: I MUST DIG X1.5! 3rd $6k winner this season, I believe.
OB4: My mom suggested that a friend bet him to do this - not a bad guess. :roll:
OA: Honda Numero Seis was a tricky all-lower setup, but besides 22-  the repeating digits rule applied here - even with the weird price in Pathy last time, I went with the first 4, counting on no triple 2s. Monique was a great contestant, too bad she changed at the last second...
Steppy: 5th? Another good bailout though.
Pa#: Easy pickings.
SCs: Those little vehicles are 12.5k alone or so, if I recall. However, Prowlers aren't quite 1k a foot - Veronica makes a great bid and cleans house! Great work!

Gotta wonder if -69 was another thing that "friend' may have bet him to do...Joseph provided an excellent example (and sacrifice) of how to avoid Mimi. I agree with Frank, don't let him ruin the show. Stan should be a bit more...alert, though he may have put on an act to get picked anyways...

B+
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:41:10 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:37:09 PM »
I just have one thing to say: There's a special place for Joseph at The Price is Right Woodshed.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »
$2 MILLION? Oh, do I really want to lay it on Joseph...but what I REALLY want to say would get me tossed. Un...believable! Now that he knows what he could have played for, I'll bet he wishes he could take it back. Too late now, pal.

The only thing I disagree with about this is being disappointed in what he could've played for. Outside of a PT Cruiser, I really can't think of an uglier car than the Honda Element. 3 words: Box on Wheels. That aside, yeah, I could have really done without seeing that bid.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »
The way I see it, Joseph wasn't really TRYING to be a contestant. Therefore, feel free to speak your minds on the fool.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:50:30 PM »
I laughed at how Veronica and Drew slowly walked towards each other.

Did anyone noticed that Tarrah said "Higher, Bob" when she was guessing on the lotion, but then corrected herself to say "Lower, Drew" for the other guess?

I'm also surprised that Tarrah didn't bail out with $4,000 when she had the chance.  But I don't blame her one bit for bailing with $3,000, a nice chunk of change, even though the Honda Civic is a very nice car.

Yeah, Secret X was played for the first time in over two months, and it was played in the first half of the show for the first time this season!

Did anyone notice that the dollar sign on the $10 choice and the correct answer cards for the mop was not in the Kingpin font like the other choice cards, but rather the old Swiss font?

Poor Monique, she put such enthusiasm into asking the almighty sound effects lady and she was so close to changing the correct four and winning, but the peanut gallery talked her out of it.

Okay, Joseph probably joins James from the show that aired on November 13, 2007 on the "worst contestant" list this season.  He made totally inappropriate bids and made a insanely stupid bid of $2 million, which is probably the first 7-digit bid on the show ever.  One great point is that Drew accepted that large with "two million you want, you got it." bid and moved on instead of saying "that can only go up to $9,999."

Holy smokes, Step Up played in the second half for the first time this season!

I seriously thought Joseph would make another $-69 bid for the last bidding round, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually thought of going through with it.

Anyone else worried that Step Up is going to be Super Savered eventually?  Today is the second time in a row where Drew told the contestant to pick out the least expensive remaining prize on the second pick.  ...

Something tells me that the producers told Drew, when he was rehearsing this game, that the contestant should ideally pick the least expensive prize out of the unrevealed ones each turn.  Bob always said "pick out something a little more expensive than the prize you just picked" to instruct contestants.  In a way, telling contestants to "pick the least expensive prize remaining" makes the game easier to win to a degree, since they would ideally observe the prizes and make an educated decision.  If they don't pick the least expensive prize and pick a more expensive prize off the bat, they would hear groans from the audience and try to pick something to net them both prizes, $500 and bail out right there.  If the contestant wipes out or loses later in the game, then I would probably agree with you, although the audience would probably do a heck of a job to talk them out of picking that prize.  It would be harder to do that if Roger sets the game up with difficult prizes, where a loss is inevitable.  Although, I think Drew should point out all the rules of the game at the start and clarify them to the contestant as they go along, like Bob did.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:39:29 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
It's one thing for someone to make an off-the-wall bid because they actually believe that's what the item costs, or because they misspoke.  Joseph, however, was just making a complete mockery of the show.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
Okay, I have to say it - Joseph bidding $2 MILLION on a little kitchen island should win the award for "Stupid Bid of the Year." Seriously. The readouts only fit four digits, so the one-bids have to be under $10,000, don't they?

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »
Okay, I will speak my peace on Joseph and then let it rest.  What was so maddening was that his name was called.  Virtually everyone here would give their right arm or sell a sibling into slavery to get that chance.  And he blew it to make some stupid jokes that wouldn't even make a seventh-grader laugh.  Maybe I'm "overreacting", but that really pisses me off to see someone turn the show into such a travesty.  The fact that he made a $2,000,000 bid is evidence that he didn't want to win.  What a @#$%!.  I know there is a rule against talking bad about contestants, but I'm sorry, I had to make an exception.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 04:21:18 PM »
I sure hope after this taping was they banned joseph from ever being in the studio again. I can see why the show is labeled "not for rerun".  He is the worst person I have ever seen on the show.  That 2 millon dollar bid put it over the top.  I am wondering if drew said anything to him after wards.  Plus I am wondering what happened during LER that it was so heavily edited.  We are wondering if joseph made it on stage and made an @%@ of himself and they edited it out and threw him offstage. 

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 04:24:12 PM »
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Monique
WORST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Yes, I'm actually giving this out today, because it's well-deserved... Joseph, who apparently didn't care about taking TPIR seriously
SHOW GRADE: 3