Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/02/2008  (Read 37651 times)

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/02/2008
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I also would like to nonchalantly post my views on this show.

1RP: Very nice.

Bonkers: What;s it gonna take for someone to understand that you need to move your a** in this game?  :headbang:

MoL: UNBELIEVABLE!! One of the most simplest playings of this game in a long time. To have it won by someone who was more deserving of it than Carmel was so awesome.

Push: $3498 was so scraming, "PICK ME".

TTM: Well, I also would've stopped at $21K. I finally win this one with the player for goodness sake.

NowThen: Mary was also a BLAST. She nailed this one very well.

Showcases: I'm glad Carmel won her showcase. If only it was the other showcase instead of the Random All-Trip showcase.

A 3.75-star show.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »
Voltron,

AYoung, FPGWillyT, SteveGavazzi, and several others have given you some good advice.  I think the healthiest thing for you to do right now is take a break from the show and put things in perspective.

I agree that the show should have explained the issue the first time they had a chance, and that they handled it badly, but I think they have a point.

Reading Willy's post about his similar experience, I think I figured out what makes this situation different than just someone shouting out well-informed answers from the audience.  Let me see if this helps clear things up. I'm not saying that you (or Willy and Maddy) did anything wrong, just that this is what happened:

1) Your advice identifiably affected the outcome of a show. Michael (and some others) wouldn't have won without you.

AND

2) You conducted yourself in a way that the advice was traceable to you.  That's both discussing your expertise in line, and in the studio conveying your advice in a way that the contestant could see it and the show personnel could see where it was coming from. Again, that's not an accusation that you did anything wrong, that's just what happened. You not only drew the contestant's attention to yourself, you drew the show's.

AND

3) You came back and tried to do it again.

Therefore, the show perceives you as potentially giving some players an advantage that others don't have. Protecting the show's integrity is more important to them than anything, even the possibility of going over budget. If the public thinks the show isn't "fair," they have a serious problem.

There's a vast difference between everyone in the audience shouting out prices, whether or not they know what they're talking about, and "the guy in the white shirt in the first seat of the third row told me in line how good he is at this, and he told me he would give me hand signals. I saw him on stage with a Showcase winner, so I know he knows what he's talking about" That's why Starcade's (multiply repeated) demand that it should be either all or nothing really isn't relevant. Everybody's advice, and everybody's conduct, isn't equal.

Roger did give you a straight answer on your contestant eligibility. He told you that you're not ineligible. Whether or not you're eligible is not the same thing as whether you will actually be selected. He can't tell you whether you will or won't be selected unless he's willing to answer the same question for the other 300 people in the room, 291 of whom are going to be disappointed. That's a Standards and Practices issue. He simply can't answer that question in any more detail than he did. You're not ineligible. If he told you that you're eligible but they won't pick you, then you would have a legitimate S&P complaint. If he told you that they WILL pick you, everyone else in the room has an S&P complaint. ("The guy who got pulled out of line to talk to Mr. Dobkowitz got picked. Why didn't I get pulled out of line to talk to Mr. Dobkowitz?") Again, the perception is important here, too.

If they really wanted to ban you completely, wouldn't Roger have just told you that you're not eligible because you know people who work for the show? Given that he and Stan (and others) know you on sight, if I wanted to argue that that means they "know" you for ineligibility purposes, I think I could figure out how to phrase it that way.

Starcade, I don't have the time or the patience to respond to every point you've made in this thread. Let me just say that I think your criticisms of the show's motives are both uninformed and uncalled for. It's not a crime to make the games harder to win, if that's the only effect of reducing the influence of people like Voltron, Willy and Maddy. And if you think that the show deserves to have its motives questioned, as you clearly do, I might suggest that you take a break from it as well.

Sorry if I'm rambling. This is just a lot for all of us to think about.

John

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2008, 10:45:54 AM »
In the end, I'm sorry for your mother, Voltron.  And I'm sorry she understandably has a sour taste for the show now.

Having said that, though, I get it.  I get the show's position.  It's obvious to me when it starts relating to contestants' row:  is it fair for the greatest contestant ever not to be able to get up on stage because someone you met in line got all the answers?  Or heck, even if it's not a great contestant.  Pricing games, big deal, no one gets hurt... well, maybe the budget, and that's not necessarily good, but I can totally get the unfair advantage part.  And it's not just your friends, but to kinda' random people who got to know you.  Not necessarily any better than the random people who didn't.  Nothing illegal whatsoever, but they've got an understandable position, and they're within their rights to try to get it to stop.  And maybe they could have handled things a little better, but I question whether it would've made a difference.

Offline starcade

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2008, 11:14:04 PM »
Voltron,

AYoung, FPGWillyT, SteveGavazzi, and several others have given you some good advice.  I think the healthiest thing for you to do right now is take a break from the show and put things in perspective. ...

Fair enough.  But this is (to date) an audience participation program.  Hence, there are going to be audience members (at the point known or at the point unknown) who will identifiably affect the outcome of programs.  That's the nature of the beast here.  It doesn't matter, really, whether the show knew about them to begin with or not.  The unfair advantage they claim is exactly the same.

If they don't want that kind of stuff to happen, then they have to silence the audience for all gameplay.

2) You conducted yourself in a way that the advice was traceable to you.  That's both discussing your expertise in line, and in the studio conveying your advice in a way that the contestant could see it and the show personnel could see where it was coming from. ...

Big freaking whoop they can trace it to him.  This is one of the reasons that (without a further explanation and policy statement) Maddy and I are all but done going to Studio 33 and may be done as fans of the show outright.  (And my friend can only take so many more such disillusion-ments...)  I mean, when a contestant is asked who he's getting advice from and the two people he points out are put on camera, then that becomes "trace-able" too.

So, as of yesterday, my friend and I have successfully concluded that we are, at the least, "Ineligible Eligibles", and that we're never going to get called down because we could end up treated as "card counters" with respect to the show.  My friend has wanted to be a contestant on the show for 25 years, and now she can't be that because she's followed the show religiously enough that people want to look to her for advice?

It is now to the detriment of any audience member to give enough pertinent and valid advice that the show might be able to trace it to that person.  What the Hell are they running here?

I mean, do you see where this is going?  Basically, any unaffiliated person who can be seen providing any win to any contestant could now be subject to scrutiny by the production vis-a-vis whether that audience member may present an unfair advantage to certain people in the audience, presenting a threat to the show's bottom line.

I could see a scenario where tape is stopped after the second or third pricing game and people are moved (or removed) as potential unfair advantages.

And how do you enforce this without people monitoring the line on the sidewalk too, to see what people are talking about overnight?

AND

3) You came back and tried to do it again.

You make him sound like a freaking criminal, at that point!  (And that might not be that far from the truth, given that they're basically accusing him of cheating and the like -- which would be, to a degree, a federal offense...)

Again, and I stress this for emphasis:  There is no way a legal audience member doing things legal and encouraged by the show should ever be silenced, unless you are planning to end the audience participation portion of the program.

(Now, I can understand if you've become a "friend to the show" and the like like Marc and John have.  That's a different scenario.  But that's handled differently!)

Therefore, the show perceives you as potentially giving some players an advantage that others don't have. Protecting the show's integrity is more important to them than anything, even the possibility of going over budget. If the public thinks the show isn't "fair," they have a serious problem.

Then the show has no option but to immediately cease audience participation.  There is no way that perception of integrity can be preserved once the show begins to identify certain people as "knowing too much" and "willing to give out that information".  Once they open the door, they cannot close it again.  I mean, if the show could pre-screen everyone (including the members of all the groups which come in) for unfair advantage and the like, then you could try to deal with it -- but you're still having to ask the question of whether the show is deliberately attempting to mislead the contestants into losing.

There's a vast difference between everyone in the audience shouting out prices, whether or not they know what they're talking about, and "the guy in the white shirt in the first seat of the third row told me in line how good he is at this, and he told me he would give me hand signals. I saw him on stage with a Showcase winner, so I know he knows what he's talking about" That's why Starcade's (multiply repeated) demand that it should be either all or nothing really isn't relevant. Everybody's advice, and everybody's conduct, isn't equal.

Baloney.  You can make that same arrangement (as an unknown person to the show) with the group you come with, and create the same damned unfair advantage.

It IS either all or nothing.  Either allow people like Voltron to give his advice and deal with what that brings, or cease audience participation altogether because there is no damned way you can level the playing field again by silencing individual audience members unless you are willing to start putting cameras on the audience to surveil them during the course of gameplay (rather than simply to add color to the broadcast), and re/move any person unaffiliated with the contestant who aids in any win.

Because any person unaffiliated with the contestant now has the potential of being an unfair advantage for that contestant over any other contestant or potential contestant in the audience.

That you guys aren't looking at the bigger picture is mind-boggling to me.

Roger did give you a straight answer on your contestant eligibility. He told you that you're not ineligible. ...

No, he's NOT eligible.  Now, that is not (in this practice) the same as being ineligible (hence, my term "Ineligible Eligible").

He's not going to get selected -- ever!! -- unless there is a reversal of this policy.  Think!!  This guy is known to the show, has been identified as a problem to the production (for whatever reason), and yet you want to consider him eligible.  He is, but only in the most technical of broadest of senses.  He's been blackballed and dis-welcomed from the studio.  They finally got to the point where they had to bar him pending conditions.

In fact, wouldn't he have an S&P complaint now, anyway?  Not only on the basis that he is silenced, but the fact that he has to know (if he's as intelligent as he appears to be) that he's never going to get picked?  He's been called the equivalent of a "card counter" -- would it not be clear to anyone so referred to that they are now identified as someone who could take the show for huge amounts of cash and prizes they have no desire to give out?

If they really wanted to ban you completely, wouldn't Roger have just told you that you're not eligible because you know people who work for the show? Given that he and Stan (and others) know you on sight, if I wanted to argue that that means they "know" you for ineligibility purposes, I think I could figure out how to phrase it that way.

Basically, anyone, at that point, who's attended more than a couple tapings would probably be similarly ineligible.  I know we've chatted with Roger for a moment after the show -- would that make us ineligible?

Starcade, I don't have the time or the patience to respond to every point you've made in this thread. Let me just say that I think your criticisms of the show's motives are both uninformed and uncalled for. ...

The motives are on the table, and, given who's running/ruining the show (Fremantle), I damned well am going to question the motives of the production company here.  The decision is asinine, probably will result in the end of several people being fans of the show, and, frankly, borderline illegal.  It's starting down the road to rigging the games (and, hence, a crime) to only allow advice which can be construed as deliberately incorrect, misleading, or confusing.

Fremantle is the master of the televised bait-and-switch.  It's the only reason they've made it this prominently.  And I will be damned to watch something I've cared about for three decades now be devoured by Syd Vinnedge and what he's doing to the show.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:48:22 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2008, 12:03:47 AM »
I'm going to put this very, very blunt.

It's their show. It's their rules.  If you don't like their ruling on anything, repeat: ANYTHING, go watch another show.

I can't put this any other way.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »
Fair enough.  But this is (to date) an audience participation program.  Hence, there are going to be audience members (at the point known or at the point unknown) who will identifiably affect the outcome of programs.  That's the nature of the beast here.  It doesn't matter, really, whether the show knew about them to begin with or not.  The unfair advantage they claim is exactly the same.

... i'm not gonna quote everything you wrote.. but its basically in response to everything you wrote.

Yes, its an audience participation program... meaning the whole or majority of the audience, more specifically the group of people you came with. It is not a "look to the one guy who's made it known to everybody in line he knows everything" participation program.

No, they don't have to silence the entire audience, it is reasonable to discourage those few people who repeatedly come to the show for the sole purpose of making themselves feel important by telling everybody all the prices. Its not the way the show is designed to work, never has been.

Yes, you are eligible... this has already been established. If someone wants to increase their chances of being picked i would suggest they quit pissing off people who run the show.

If you dont want to watch the show then you have many viewing options, in many markets "the view" is on ABC opposite TPIR, you can watch that. 

You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline Denials

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2008, 01:14:20 PM »
Just to throw my two cents in.

Starcade, I don't understand your argument.  Let me elaborate.

"
That's not the point.  As I said, they can exclude who they choose to exclude.  That doesn't make their reasoning correct -- in fact, it may only be barely ("Prohibited Practices in Contests of Skill or Chance"-wise) legal.

What does barely legal mean?  Something is either legal or illegal. 

No, he's NOT eligible.  Now, that is not (in this practice) the same as being ineligible (hence, my term "Ineligible Eligible").

The Random House Unabridged Dictionary gives definition number 1 of ineligible as "not eligible." 

You are confusing eligibility with likelihood of being picked.  As others have stated, the show could not say much more than they did regarding eligibility for legal reasons.

"

That you guys aren't looking at the bigger picture is mind-boggling to me.

Let me try another big picture argument and I'd honestly like to know what you think about it.

If I understand your argument correctly, you are saying that everyone should have an equal right to participate in the show.  The show should not be allowed to request people to leave (or even be quiet) because they are "too good."

So now let's take this bigger picture.  Suppose that someone decides to make a business out of helping contestants.  They go up and down the line EVERY DAY, and, for $5 per person, will provide assistance if someone is selected to be a contestant.  Let's just say this catches on and that you start having more $500 bonuses, 5/6 and 6/6 shows, and DSWs.  Soon, the show has to fold because the economics just don't work anymore.

Based on your argument, you are saying that either the show has to fold up because of this person or stop audience participation altogether?  Let's say you take the business aspect out of it (in case you want to say that would be illegal) but let's say instead that this person decides to start showing up to every taping.  Do you really think the show either has to let him/her in or else end audience participation?

I don't think he's trying to "garner limelight" here.  I still do not understand how it is any more inappropriate (unless Voltron were to ask for some of the prizes, and that's a separate issue) for him to offer his help to potential contestants than for a group to make similar arrangements in planning during the time they are preparing to come to Los Angeles...

I have to disagree with you here.  If you go back and read Voltron's post from the 05/29 show, he explicitly states his intentions as "we wanted to try to be on camera as much as possible" and wanting to get to know as many people as possible to increase his chances of being able to run up on stage at the end of the showcase (sorry I don't know how to quote from other posts).  I would say that sounds like trying to garner limelight.  This is not meant to cast any aspersion on Voltron, I'm just disagreeing with your characterization of what his motives were (or weren't).

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »
The Price is Right Season 36, Game #157 (#6,888)

Showcase #1
Trip to Kauai - $5,718
Trip to Berlin (Drew Carey's first trip to Germany!) - $7,819
11-day African Photo Safari - $15,750

Showcase #2
Flag - $338
Snowmobile - $7,999
Chevrolet Equinox - $23,750

Your Modeling Scorecard for June 2, 2008
Rachel Reynolds
Total:  $68,863
What the contestants won:  $61,312, 10
What the contestants lost:  $7,551, 2

After 96 episodes
Prizes:  857 (545-312)
Cars:  92 (33-59)
Trips:  62 (27-35)
Season modeling total so far: $4,810,760

Tamiko Nash
Total:  $33,143
What the contestants won:  $5,895, 5
What the contestants lost:  $27,248, 2

After 29 episodes
Prizes:  227 (145-82)
Cars:  28 (10-18)
Trips:  23 (10-13)
Season modeling total so far: $1,403,578

Amber Lancaster
Total:  $69,215
What the contestants won:  $50,505, 7
What the contestants lost:  $18,710, 3

After 21 episodes
Prizes:  147 (101-46)
Cars:  19 (10-9)
Trips:  20 (10-10)
Season modeling total so far: $862,691

Your 22 prizes total $129,174.

Offline starcade

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2008, 08:10:15 AM »
What does barely legal mean?  Something is either legal or illegal. 

The Random House Unabridged Dictionary gives definition number 1 of ineligible as "not eligible." 

In theory, yes.  In practice, no.

To the first point:  What I'm saying is that I truly believe that silencing any audience member who, on the basis of his or her knowledge alone, may cause more contestants to win than the show is comfortable with, that's beginning to walk down the path toward stating openly that you don't want people to actually win the cars and refrigerators and all that such.  And this isn't the show itself -- it's Fremantle!!  Bob would've never put up with this!!

The show should have nothing to say about who says anything unless it specifically prohibits it as a matter of gameplay (that is, the games where the audience openly sees the relevant price).  Once you start discriminating on the basis of "he knows too much", you walk down the path toward an illegal act (rigging the games) -- and that's why I said that, if it's legal, it probably is barely so.

Second point:  Much like the first, you're confusing a dictionary definition with what's actually going on.  That's why I termed "Ineligible Eligible" for someone like Voltron.  Sure, by the rules, he may well still be eligible.  But -- THINK!!!  He's been declared the equivalent of a "card counter".  Do you honestly believe for the life of you that a casino would allow a known card counter to spend more than five minutes at a table before being unceremoniously tossed??

Voltron would take them for all they offered, in the opinion of the production.  And, given how he's already been declared an unfair advantage, to Hell if they're ever going to choose him!  Hence, in practice, he's ineligible.

You are confusing eligibility with likelihood of being picked.  As others have stated, the show could not say much more than they did regarding eligibility for legal reasons.

Which is why they couldn't tell him the truth.  How any intelligent person could not see that as a legal cover on Roger's part -- and nothing more!! -- that Voltron is ineligible for the show (in fact) is beyond my personal comprehension.

Let me try another big picture argument and I'd honestly like to know what you think about it.

If I understand your argument correctly, you are saying that everyone should have an equal right to participate in the show.  The show should not be allowed to request people to leave (or even be quiet) because they are "too good."

Precisely, unless you want to silence everyone.  To do otherwise would essentially open the show to criticism that they really don't want the prizes to be given away -- that this is all one big fat bait-and-switch.

It's not that they're trying to silence him -- it's that they are trying to silence ONLY him (and a very very few others).  What that tells me is that the only real advice allowed would be advice such that would be misleading, confusing, or wrong.  As I've said before:  You could see the show stopping tape after a 3-for-3 first half and ordering to the back or out any audience member seen as significantly aiding more than one of those wins.

So now let's take this bigger picture.  Suppose that someone decides to make a business out of helping contestants.  They go up and down the line EVERY DAY, and, for $5 per person, will provide assistance if someone is selected to be a contestant.  Let's just say this catches on and that you start having more $500 bonuses, 5/6 and 6/6 shows, and DSWs.  Soon, the show has to fold because the economics just don't work anymore.

Then they're already in trouble to start with, because that kind of conduct is considered a "split of the prizes" (at least for potential contestants), and not allowed anyway.

If giving away too much puts the show out of business, then one has to question the continuance of the show at all.  (And, especially with the generic copy they are doing for many of the small prizes or grocery items, one has to wonder if they're getting enough money in to keep the game fair.)  The moment that a show cannot afford to continue to give away the prizes and is forced to bait and switch, it needs to leave the air.

(I'm not saying they're there yet -- but this is not helping them.)

Based on your argument, you are saying that either the show has to fold up because of this person or stop audience participation altogether?  Let's say you take the business aspect out of it (in case you want to say that would be illegal) but let's say instead that this person decides to start showing up to every taping.  Do you really think the show either has to let him/her in or else end audience participation?

YES!!  Absolutely!!  That he "knows too much" isn't his freaking problem!!  And you're not talking about someone from the LA area here either -- you're talking about someone from the other end of the country, if my memory serves.

I have to disagree with you here.  If you go back and read Voltron's post from the 05/29 show, he explicitly states his intentions as "we wanted to try to be on camera as much as possible" and wanting to get to know as many people as possible to increase his chances of being able to run up on stage at the end of the showcase (sorry I don't know how to quote from other posts).  I would say that sounds like trying to garner limelight.  This is not meant to cast any aspersion on Voltron, I'm just disagreeing with your characterization of what his motives were (or weren't).

And what's the problem with wanting to be on camera??  Last I saw, with a lot of how people act when the cameras are on them, a lot of people go to be on camera.  That makes no sense.  If it's as bad as you think it is and the show believes that to be the case, it has two options:  It can either toss his ass and take their chances or let him in.  But they can't just silence him.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:54 AM »
Oh, Criminy Dutch, can you please let this drop?  I don't mean to be rude, Starcade, but this is getting old, and I honestly don't think anyone cares to argue with you anymore.  I know I, for one, didn't even read the post.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
Oh, Criminy Dutch, can you please let this drop?  I don't mean to be rude, Starcade, but this is getting old, and I honestly don't think anyone cares to argue with you anymore.  I know I, for one, didn't even read the post.

You don't need to read it.. its the same stubborn, incorrect conclusions he has come to and keeps bringing up no matter how many times people point out the flaws in it.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.