Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/26/2008  (Read 28171 times)

Offline mhrasputin

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/26/2008
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 02:58:44 AM »
In the past, Drew has indicated he is not a fan of the Losing Horns on the show, I believe in the case of Cover Up, he just didn't want to hear it. These are some of the situations that have led to rumors he's going to be replaced. While I don't want to see that, I do agree with most of you, his mood sets the tone for the show, if he's not in a good mood, he should not do the show, yes Bob was cantankerous in the past, but that had more to do with advancing age than his attitude. Drew is still young there's no reason for him to be down in a high octane game show like this one, I think he should have a talk with the producers about how he wants the tone set, we know he's just the host, but I'm convinced a host's input into how exciting the show should be ought to be the focus as well.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
I think it was kind of a relief that Drew did a normal entrance through door #2 because I feel that if he does those goofy poses day in and day out, it will get old after a while.

I like how Drew knows that a car is going to be offered, but they have to show the smaller prize first in Any Number, and I think that makes people get excited about winning something smaller than a car.

It really was a shame for Earline to lose on the last pick, especially when it came down to the wire like that.  I wonder, has anyone expressed dissatisfaction when he/she saw Any Number come around on the turntable?

Wow, Safe Crackers for a car for the first time this season, and they used the vault backdrop as well!  Roger sure made it difficult to win the car, with only a $90 difference between the two choices.

It's great that Drew acknowledged Dave operating Freeze Frame for the first time this year.

Drew really handled Cover Up badly when it came to the price reveal.  He tried to answer both questions of "Is the price right?" and "Is the 5 or the 6 right?" but it came off badly and confusing.  Some of us in chat were thinking a technical win should have been awarded, but even if Drew asked those questions properly, the contestant still would have lost, so it was not necessary.

Drew just seemed out of it in Hi Lo, he just left the two highest price cards in the Hi row without removing them so everyone could focus on $5.50.  He didn't even bother to insert the price cards in the Lo row all the way.

I now realize that the way Rich says the names of all the prizes "can be yours if the price is right!" is just too ambiguous.

I agree that Drew should not base his emotions on the air on a win or loss.  He should make the show exciting and fun to watch regardless of how games result.  Bob was a pro at this, he made every little aspect feel exciting and turned a loss into something enjoyable to watch.  Drew shouldn't heavily imitate Bob, but he should find a way, to do things his way while not seeming so bored whenever a game is lost.  Also, he should be consistent, without being robotic on how to reveal prices for certain games.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
Drew really got on my nerves today. He has removed all suspense from Safe Crackers. She twisted the dials, and before she was finished yanking on the door and the LOCK sign lit up, he had already removed the price from the envelope. Just awful.

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »
dunno if anyone else caught it but i noticed today that drew wears a lavalier mic on top of his hand mic, anyone know why?

also, nothing funny from drew coming through the doors!  but his comment about the extra mops lying around was PRICELESS

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
Regarding toning down the audience: yes, there is some precedent. Out there on the Internet floating around somewhere are some of Johnny Olson's warmups from TPIR. He specifically told potential contestants to try and win the game themselves and not just stare out into the audience, saying it's a lot more fun that way. Perhaps Rich should also try and encourage contestants to use their own mind instead of getting help from the audience.

I don't think that Drew grabbing the envelope really killed the suspense because, unlike Bob, he always shows the card, win or lose. I didn't even notice him doing that, actually. Anyone else think it funny that she pulled on the spinning thing instead of the actual handle?

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
Any Number:  Well, she didn't win the car, but at least she didn't win the piggybank either.
Safe Crackers:  I thought $780 for the phones too.  Bummer! :-(
Make Your Move:  Good job! :-)  I would've been pretty surprised if those prices would've been wrong!
Freeze Frame:  I thought $4199 was the right price for the cruise, but I was wrong too.
Cover Up:  Too bad! :-(
Hi Lo:  I knew Kellie wasn't going to win as soon as she picked the Phillips Caplets.

Not too good today, but at least they didn't get skunked.  I was hoping they'd play Punch A Bunch today.  They played a cash prize game every day but today. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:01:38 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »
Wow... it's a good thing that Benjamin had both those numbers wrong in Cover Up. Otherwise, we would have had ourselves a technical win. Drew's got to stay on top of that.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Earline
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »
I agree. He started out okay at the beginning of Any Number but from the middle of it on things went downhill. I don't understand why either because Drew has shown that he can be outstanding at times.  ...

Right,

This is one MAJOR criticism of Drew.  If we have a great 5/6 wins or a perfect show, or even a show where contestants do fun things, Drew can be like Bob.  Maybe sometimes better if Bob was having an average day.  But if we are having 1/6 wins or 0/6 wins, Drew takes that downer and it dampens the effect of the whole show.  He may focus on a close contestant's loss even DURING or after another contestant has won. (I have seen this at least twice.)

Drew's energy or lack of it seems to relate directly to how well contestants do at their games. Bob's energy during a struggling show, would interject humor into low win episodes.  But when that happens with Drew, he just sounds depressed.

Drew's showcase reveals still need work.  Even with the great prizes this season, he is treating them like an "obligation" rather than the "thrilling climax of the show."  However, the suspense element may have been removed for time.  Does anyone recall an edit on a Showcase Reveal?

Joe
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 06:34:23 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 04:02:01 PM »
If we're talking about the "bid on that in dollars..." explanation, it used to be done before every single one bid, more than "just every show."

Was this done during the Cullen era?  I have watched since 1972, and I only recall the "bid on dollars......" explanation done during the first one bid only.  It seems they would not have to repeat this 3 times for a half hour show or six times for an hour show.

Joe

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »
I believe that's the trend. From what they said when they let Roger go, they want Drew to have more time to be himself. Well that's going to mean shorter pricing games, ergo fewer SP or grocery games. That'd be my guess anyway

If they want him to have more time to be himself, just take away everything and let him do stand-up for an hour and then he can be himself.

Sure I enjoy the host interacting with the contestants, but not at the sake of gameplay. That kills the spirit of the show.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 06:32:01 PM »
I have watched since 1972, and I only recall the "bid on dollars......" explanation done during the first one bid only.  It seems they would not have to repeat this 3 times for a half hour show or six times for an hour show.

I don't know about the Cullen era, but in 1972, Bob repeated the whole set of instructions about how to proceed in the One Bid each time it was done. I don't know how long that lasted, however.

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 01:40:54 AM »
Wow, Safe Crackers for a car for the first time this season, and they used the vault backdrop as well!  Roger sure made it difficult to win the car, with only a $90 difference between the two choices.

I have to disagree with this. The total price of the car and whatever the other thing was was $16,680 as announced by Rich. I don't recall seeing cars with ***00 at the end of the price ever on TPIR (I could be wrong, but if it has happened, it is certainly extremely rare). At $780, the car is priced at $15,900. That price looks funny to me. At $870, the car is priced at $15,810 which looks much more like a TPIR car price to me.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »
Drew really got on my nerves today. He has removed all suspense from Safe Crackers. She twisted the dials, and before she was finished yanking on the door and the LOCK sign lit up, he had already removed the price from the envelope. Just awful.
Sorry if this has already been answered, but he always does this, win or lose.  Just by taking out the envelope does not guarantee a loss anymore.  Besides, I don't think Drew knows the price, so he wouldn't know if the contestant won or lost until the horns or bells go off.

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »
I don't recall seeing cars with ***00 at the end of the price ever on TPIR (I could be wrong, but if it has happened, it is certainly extremely rare).

There was a model of the Chrysler PT Cruiser they were offering in the last couple of years somewhat regularly that was priced exactly $16,000.

At $780, the car is priced at $15,900. That price looks funny to me. At $870, the car is priced at $15,810 which looks much more like a TPIR car price to me.

Perhaps, but the thing to realise is that most on-stage contestants are not thinking of the total price of the prize package minus the cost of the three-digit prize they're dialing in.  They are just thinking solely of pricing the three-digit prize.  Heck, I'm one of the "loyal friends and true," and I rarely consider the price of the second prize in Safe Crackers aside from the first when figuring out the price of the three-digit prize.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »
In the past, Drew has indicated he is not a fan of the Losing Horns on the show, I believe in the case of Cover Up, he just didn't want to hear it. These are some of the situations that have led to rumors he's going to be replaced. While I don't want to see that, I do agree with most of you, his mood sets the tone for the show, if he's not in a good mood, he should not do the show, yes Bob was cantankerous in the past, but that had more to do with advancing age than his attitude. Drew is still young there's no reason for him to be down in a high octane game show like this one, I think he should have a talk with the producers about how he wants the tone set, we know he's just the host, but I'm convinced a host's input into how exciting the show should be ought to be the focus as well.

Well, you do have a point there. For example, I never was a big fan of the current tenor buzzer (which debuted in 1986, I think), and I thought it was too harsh at first, but in recent years, they've softened the sound to the point where I can now tolerate it more. And as for the bass buzzer (MRRRRRRRRP!), I wouldn't have wanted to hear that sound in 1972, either, mainly because of its harshness; now it's like music to my ears, especially when it's combined with the losing horns, hence the signature below. BTW, if they need a new host, I would like to throw my hat into the ring. I could do the show just as good as Drew, if not better than him. I'd never try to be like Bob, nor would I ever want to. I'm just saying...