Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/07/2008  (Read 45068 times)

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/07/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
The people in charge of Price (Drew?, Sid?, Mike?, Kathy?, CBS?) should realize that the show is about games, games, games.  It is not about Drew making this a comedy show.

If they want Drew to have a comedy show...give him one...give him a talk show where he can do all this silly stuff that he's beginning to do.  Leave Price alone  :-x and bring the show's excitement back by providing us with a show that concentrates on game-playing.

I had hope for this show last year but now as the season is progressing I am losing it :-(.

Offline Millionaire81

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
And w
I think most definitely people associated directly with the show at least browse around here from time to time. We have many lurkers on this board, and I would be willing to bet that somewhere in that group of people are some who work with the show.

While I'm sure they do read the board, I also believe they are probably putting less and less weight in what we say. 

Why?  Well, don't you think at some point they are going to quit caring to hear what we have to say when the negative posts on this board are so predictable it's not even funny.  Not only that, but negative about the most minute things.  While I think the threads that critique the changes of a game are good for them to see.  Some of these other issues are ridiculous.

For example, the fact the opening spiel letters now have a sheen to them.  OH IT'S TOO MUCH!!! 

The host is too excited for a winning contestant!  WHAT!?  There is no limit to how excited a host can get for someone winning. 

He did the same entrance as last month!  STOP THE MADNESS!!! 

The showcases don't make sense!!!  WHO CARES!?!  The point of the show is to price prizes as close as you can without going over, not judging to see how the flow of the showcase script reads.

After a while of all this, the folks associated with the show are going just say "whatever" and forget about us.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:31:59 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »
Millionaire81: would you like there to be a ban on everything except positive comments here, then?

I echo the sentiment....the Rich showcase had the potential to be absolutely fantastic, but what we got---along with the idiotic "spleen" showcase---proves one thing above all: Drew Carey cannot write clean comedy. When he's able to use dirty humor, he's hysterical, but more and more these horridly misfired Showcases he's written convince me that his talents are being wasted here and Fremantle would be better off reviving Match Game as a vehicle for him.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline Millionaire81

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
What was wrong with today's Showcase #1?  So they got stuff to rhyme with the prizes.  What was the problem?  Is everyone unhappy because they didn't come up with a childish story to go along with prizes?

As for the ban, no.  I don't want a ban on negative comments...just a ban on redundant whining.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:32:19 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:39 PM »
I think most definitely people associated directly with the show at least browse around here from time to time. We have many lurkers on this board, and I would be willing to bet that somewhere in that group of people are some who work with the show.

And seeing some of the references he's made on the show, I think Drew looks around here now and then.

I'm actually quite appauled to see how many of you thought today's show was the worst show ever. I thought today's was one of the best that I've seen in quite some time. Even despite all of the losses, Drew kept his energy up, and even made things worth staying tuned for. I kept watching just in case Mark was gonna play the piano earlier than they said. I even found it funny when Rich did the "Fremantle Media Production" spiel after inhaling helium.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:32:37 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »
Some of these other issues are ridiculous.

Listen man, you've done a great job in analyzing what you feel should and should not be discussed on this site.  Going forward, if you believe that we're discussing an issue or point that is TOO minute for this site, do me a favor and move along to the next thread.  You ask WHO CARES!?!  Evidentially many around here do.  If this really bothers you, allow me to show you the door.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »
I third Nick's analysis on the previous page - right on the mark. As I said earlier, I feel Rich should be ashamed because of how bad Drew is doing it - and apparently, he doesn't realize it.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »
I'm well aware of the whole Roger thing. I meant what happened specifically with Drew's progress (the stuff that only Drew can control, like his mood and not mumbling, pulling at his pockets, constantly poking his tie down in his jacket, etc).  It just disappeared.

Now that I re-read your original post, I realize you were asking something other than what I thought I read in the first place!

Offline wheelingtunnel

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
COMMENTS ON TPIR 10/07/08:

1.  TRIPLE PLAY:  LOUSY playing by Hector.  Make sure you look at the prices given before you pick.

2.  ONE-BID #2:  Excellent strategy by Kylee with her $1 bid on the Dimplex Archer Electric Fireplace.  The other players were obviously over.

3.  EASY AZ 123:  Was indeed easy as 1-2-3 today.

4.  SHOWCASE SHOWDOWN #1:  I MUST DIG.  Another contestant gets bitten by the 5/100 post.

5.  LUCKY 7:  That lousy guess on the 4th number did Antonia in.  I, on the other hand, would have gone with $16,585, and would have won with $4 to spare.

6.  HI-LO:  My picks would have been: (1) Gold Bond Ultimate Healing, (2) Aspercreme Heat Gel, and (3) Ester C Supplement...and I would have won.

7.  SHOWCASE:  MAJOR  :gotc: by Kylee.  Her bid on the  :frbs: doesn't cover the Reinell Beachcraft 185 18' Ski Boat.  Antonia's bid, on the other hand, seemed reasonable.

MY SHOWCASE BIDS:
#1  :frbs::  $29,500, OVER
#2 (Motorcycles):  $31,000, OVER

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »
Along with others, I found it quite awkward with SC #2.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for having Rich on camera, and the whole idea behind the showcase was good, but here were the flaws with the presentation:

- No music.  Okay, when, EVER, has a showcase been presented without music?  In fact, no PRIZE has ever been offered (one bid, pricing game) without having some music behind it.  It was very weird to hear that... silence.

- No 'introduction.'  Rich should have at least said "Your showcase contains prizes revealed as I, Rich Fields, attempt to read the script in unusual ways..."  But instead, he began describing the flowers without the normal introduction.  Very awkward.

Again, I liked the concept, but the presentation was poor. 

Offline FredtheOne26

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 08:33:28 PM »
This was the best showcase I ever seen on the price is right,,, and nick why you don't replace drew and fingers ? if you so smart ...
The Positive guy ! I hate negativity

Offline FredtheOne26

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »
To all of you who hated the Rich showcase...I've just ordered a HoverRound for all of you. 

C'mon...quit being such fuddy-duddies.  Have fun and lighten-up.

I think the same thing :) Amen to you
The Positive guy ! I hate negativity

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 08:39:55 PM »
Again, I liked the concept, but the presentation was poor. 

You hit the nail on the head PIR. That could have been a really funny and good showcase today, but what made it seem so idiotic and childish was lack of organization and presentation. Without those key ingredients it just looked like something thrown together without meaning or purpose. What could have been turned into nothing but silly and aimless drivel.

Offline DYC

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2008, 08:40:12 PM »
I usually don't even respond to these boards. I read them everyday and I watch the same show as you do. We need to all give Drew, Rich, Fingers, etal a break. ...

* approaches soapbox...*

Here here.
Man, I've been Price's biggest fan since as far back as i can remember breathing (late 70's -80's)
Plus, I have a personal monitor on things. My mother, once a Los Angeles resident, has, over the years, drowned me in stories of visiting Television City back in the 70's and 80's and viewing live what we've always agreed is the greatest show on Earth. Probably a little less "die-hard" than us, but I look at her as a great barometer of the average fan who has been a viewer of the show and, like the rest of the nation, heavily associates the show with the Barker era.

Last season she, like most all of us, balked as she watched Drew's first coupla weeks. I'd talk to her on the phone and she'd be like: " Ugh...I don't know why they gave HIM that job...etc, etc.". Well my mother has been visiting me since last week, and morning after morning I have been showered by her giggles and guffaws at Drew's one liners with contestants and, especially on Friday and today, ....the SHOWCASES.

She frickin loves it. And she's a 70 year old. Ya know, the church lady type.

I say all of that to make this point: Green screens, little explanatory intros to prize descriptions, showcase recaps or the entire frickin Michael Karp package ain't gonna stop the FUNDAMENTAL goodness of TPIR. America still tunes in, and if Im in an office or resturant or somewhere, I see more people tuning in, even following and playing along more than in recent past. They giggle and guffaw too, just like my own mother. I know our Beloved Mr. Dobkowitz and Sir Barker kept an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motif (God, how many times have you heard Barker say THAT!), and that will be forever commended. But, the key ingredients of that type of thinking are now gone from the show...so,.. technically,...that means that it's "broke" now, huh? They had to bring in some different ideas to fix it. The end product is not HALF as bad as a majority of us make it seem. Plus, GRECO ain't new to this. I don't know why everybody thinks she's gonna wreck the plane. 
The make up of the program is still there, and face it...you gotta admit we've had a "few" terribly scripted, badly concepted, cringe inducing, who-can-relate-to-this type of showcases just within the last 10 years or so. I'm that kinda viewer that usually skips out right after the 6th game or at the latest the 2nd SCSD. For the first time in the 21st century, for the past few days at least, I can watch thru the Showcases and not have to endure the mild embarassment of...well... that corny humor. At least this new humor in writing is....well...not that corny.

Is it impossible to think that TPIR can have an air of unpredictability and a decidedly less stiff/rigid format than has been the order of the day for 3 1/2 decades? DECADES?! Please note that *nothing on TV nowadays* reflects the class and spirit that most of us associate with Price's Golden Era, and thus, could not probably survive umongst the muck. Light hearted pie fights and mentions of "French toast/ French kissing/ Trip to France" are still a lightyear away from the cackles spouted over on The View or the lowlifes on Maury or whatever plays in your market opposite TPIR. I think we'll be fine.

In conclusion, here's Millionaire81 with the moral to today's tale:

To all of you who hated the Rich showcase...(we dont need the insults)...Have fun and lighten-up.

*steps off soap box...*

Now let's all talk about the REAL problem with TPIR nowadays...WTF is up with the SP games? Can a brotha get some Secret "X" or something sooner or later PUHLEEEASE!!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:33:38 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline PriceForever

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
If I worked on the show and I came here every day to read what people thought, I'd appreciate hearing their honest thoughts and opinions. That's what people here are giving.

The people who put together the show should come here everyday because this is a bastion of true price fans.  We are the last to stop watching.  We STUCK THRU THE TRANSITION from Bob to Drew because we love the show.  Out there in the other world people are slowly watching the show less, as the ratings are revealing.  However, we stayed on.  We might be a fringe group and know just a little too much about the show,  but we always stayed on...it would take a lot to make us stop watching.

However, more than ever, this last bastion of true price fans, is divided on the show.  Many dislike what is happening.  Some of us, like me, are slowly losing interest.

If they lose us (or even part of us), they are in serious trouble.