Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2008  (Read 19914 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2008
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »
What made you think this was the last time it was played?  Isn't it possible that it was played once more or twice more, etc?

It has not been scheduled for any episodes since this one.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »
That is so sad.  I, personally, considered it one of the top three games on price.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:21:35 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 10:15:23 PM »
Switch:  This was a pretty easy setup, and it made for a good start to the show.  But why were the prizes so cheap?  Larry won almost as much in is One-Bid as he did in this game.

3 Strikes:  I hope the rumors of this being retired soon prove to be untrue.  This playing was quite enjoyable in my opinion.  It didn't take too long, either (although I will admit that Rosario's perfect playing is responsible for some of that).  Still, I find this format to be quite enjoyable for regular play.

Cliff Hangers:  It's about time we see this one pop up!  This long-time favorite was long overdue.

Squeeze Play:  We have our first legitimately tough setup of the day -- this one was essentially a 33% chance.  Big congratulations go out to Jessica for nailing it!

Grocery Game:  This one also could have gone either way, but the end result was another nice win!  I had this nailed easily from the get-go:  2 x Gold Bond ($9.12) + 1 x Halls ($2.15) = $20.39.  Arthur was pretty rough on USC, though.  I think all of the USC fans watching the show probably changed the channel at the same time.  :lol:

That's Too Much:  We've got a perfect show riding in the balance, making this the last game I'd want to see under the circumstances.  Just when I thought there was no chance, Donna nails a magnificent win and seals in the perfect show!  Incidentally, I would have lost this, stopping one too soon.

Showcases:  Arthur used good strategy with his $1 bid.  I would have been tempted to do the same since it didn't count for CSS, but I ultimately decided to take a chance on the trip to China.  I've got mixed emotions on the results...

My Showcase Bids:
Car:  $25,000 (Diff. $11,937) -- :gotc:
Room/Trip:  $17,144 (Diff. $192) --  :dsw:

I made a good move by taking the gamble, netting a DSW, but it I missed out on a huge scoring opportunity in CSS. :-(  Oh well.

Still, despite my CSS woes, this has to be hands-down the best show so far this season!  We were 6-for-6, including some exciting and amazing wins!  We also had a solid pricing game lineup, good contestants, and an upbeat Drew.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
Well, folks, I hope you all enjoyed 3 Strikes for the last 32 and a half years, 'cause we might never see it again.

And really, this playing showed why giving the first digit free is a bad idea, and I'd like to think it's probably why Frank Wayne and Roger never did it -- the game was too short!  Even thought it was won, it felt like it ended as soon as it began.  Somehow, that extra number adds a whole 'nother level of excitement to the game that just wasn't there today.  If 3 Strikes does ever get played again, I hope to God they bring back the normal rules.

That said, though...A PERFECT SHOW!!!  Not only that, a perfect show clinched by, of all things, That's Too Much!!  That was freakin' awesome.

Incidentally, this is the second year in a row that a perfect show was aired on October 15.  Funnily enough, it's also the second year in a row that it wasn't the October 15 episode.

Drew called the car in 3 Strikes "a Dodge Challenger."  I wonder if that's anything like a Chevy Cracker. :)

Is this REALLY the last time 3 Strikes will be played?

I sure hope not, but it seems to be in the cards right now.

It has not been scheduled for any episodes since this one.

I'm not sure we actually know that right now -- but John has certainly implied that its future isn't bright.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:21:03 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 10:31:43 PM »
Drew called the car in 3 Strikes "a Dodge Challenger."  I wonder if that's anything like a Chevy Cracker. :)
At least Dodge makes a Challenger :)  (which would be an excellent 3 Strikes-worthy car if it was loaded up, back under its old rules)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »
To think that one year ago, Drew first walked through those doors is just profound.  Just like I said on the last show of Season 36, he has made so much progress in a short amount of time.  He got acquainted with the show, and learned all of the games in the rotation, when Bob took years to do that (even though not all of them were introduced at the same time).

Well, 3 Strikes changed its rules yet again.  With only one strike and four numbers in the bag, the game is so much easier, and it's justified that it was played for a normal car today.  But, the game was so dang short compared to playings under the 3 Strikes + or the 1998-2008 rules.  I have to agree with Steve that when the producers were developing the 5-digit 3 Strikes 25 years ago, they realized how exciting it would be to have all the numbers in the bag to prolong the playing and making an exciting win or heartbreaking loss on that last draw.

I loved it when Cliff Hangers showed up, and it was great to see Drew dance with Summer as the Yodely Guy made his way up the mountain.

Arthur may have not had a clue as to what he was doing in Grocery Game, but it was sure exciting to see it won after using 4 products.

When the people in chat saw That's Too Much show up, we thought the perfect show would be ruined.  But amazingly, Beverly won and Drew and her celebrated over the perfect show when going to commercial.

Just like last year's October 15th show, we had a perfect one for this year's!  It's great to have a perfect show, but it is even better to have a perfect show with a cool lineup, and sealing it with one of the most difficult games being won.

The Ford Flex made its debut in the show today, a very interesting-looking vehicle, IMO, and I don't blame Larry for overbidding.  I'm not sure if a majority of the public knows about the car, and it looked expensive.  I know the price of it and I was kind of surprised at how much the base model costs, just a hair over $28,000!

Or, better yet, a Plymouth Peena :).
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline tcbrent88

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 10:52:48 PM »
I just can't fathom why they would decide to retire 3 strikes, which is one of the most exiting game on the show.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 10:55:25 PM »
I think Armadillo put it best when he said something along these lines:

After the first playing this season:

"This game is too long, let's give the first number free to make it quicker.  Also, to relatively keep the same difficulty level, put 3 strike chips in the bag."

After the first playing under the new rules:

"We made it too difficult with 3 strike chips, let's just leave one in there."

After today's playing, which was very short compared to previous ones, they probably said:

"This is too easy" and/or, "It doesn't take enough time, let's just axe this thing, it's damaged beyond repair."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:57:50 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »
Now it is NOT about the contestant...it's about Drew.  All through today's show, Drew was unable to bring out anything about the contestant other than where they live and who they want to say hello to.

Actually from what I understand, Drew talks to the people during the breaks about them. Bob generally talked about himself. And did Bob always find out (or almost always) what the person does? Drew generally does

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 11:15:05 PM »
There's a huge difference doing that when tape isn't rolling and on air. Bob did take the time quite a bit (and when there was time!) to chat up the contestants. Bob could always find nuggets to work with, that should be Drew's goal as well. Again, he doesn't have to be like or do it Bob's way-he can find his own and do it, but he really needs to try to do this on air when he gets the opportunity.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:27:02 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 11:34:37 PM »
Actually from what I understand, Drew talks to the people during the breaks about them.
In that case, then there's no reason for Drew not to find out interesting things that he can tell the viewers once the break is over.

And did Bob always find out (or almost always) what the person does? Drew generally does
There's more to a person besides where they live and what they do. That's a good starting point, but the question is, why is that interesting to the viewer? What about the contestant is going to make the viewer want to root for him or her? For example, if a contestant is jumping up and down and is really excited, ask why they're so excited. They'll probably either say it's because they love the show or they've always wanted to meet Drew. If it's because they want to meet Drew, they'll probably compliment him, which is a great segue for him to thank them and show them the prize as an expression of his gratitude. If it's because they love the show, then the viewers have an interest right there, as the viewers love the show too. It's a hard skill to hone. I know Bob has said that the reason he became so good at it was from his years and years of radio shows before he even broke into television. So Drew's not going to be an expert on that yet, but talking to the contestants during the break is a good way to start, as it should help him find that one thing that makes the person so interesting to watch. Then he has to recreate that spontaneity on the air so we can find out at home.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 12:18:19 AM »
I must say that it was pretty inappropriate to make the first showcase all about the top winner of the day. It would have really been something if it was passed, too, since the showcase didn't even talk about the runner up or show them during the description of the first showcase.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
Actually, ILoveBonusGame, that's exactly what happened on yesterday's show.  I'm not sure why they don't simply make these showcases the second, where they would fit a lot better.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »
Even though it was an easy setup, still... a That's Too Much win to seal a perfecto is pretty awesome. Especially with a great contestant like Donna.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Donna
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 12:58:53 AM »
I do like the new way they are playing 3 Strikes, but I still don't see why it can't be played for more expensive than usual cars. BTW Rosario did a great job today and nearly had it perfecto. Also, if they're gonna retire 3 Strikes because it takes too long, then they need to look into retiring Hole in One. I have nothing against either game I might add.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace