Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/16/2008  (Read 19771 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/16/2008
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
The Price is Right - Oct. 16, 2008
Production #4483K - Taped Aug. 13, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Rachel

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Rachel Reynolds and Shane Stirling
Wearing: Mon Cheri

1   Inspire M3 Home Gym (L)
ANDREA 850 RONALD 1025 MELISSA 1100 SAMANTHA *1101 ($2995)

Samantha plays ½ OFF

Smoothie Maker$79BOXES IN PLAY
Zeppelin Telephone20$40*3 6 8 10 11 12 13 15
MP3 Player59
Crystal Sphere3978*8 10 11 13
Digital Voice Recorder47
Studebaker Boom Box3570*8 11

Pick:   ( 8 )   $10,000   WIN

2   ESP Eclipse Electric Guitar (S)
+Andrea 1300 +Ronald 775 +Melissa *1500 LOUIE 900 ($1869)

Melissa plays 1 RIGHT PRICE for two trips...

Scottsdale (via Phoenix; 6n @ Plaza)(R)$5316
Seattle (6n @ Pan Pacific)(S)$4324$4324WIN

3   Aico Paradisio Desk (R)
+Andrea *1201 +Ronald 1575 LISA 1200 Louie 800 ($1429)

Andrea heads up the "Southpaw Steps" to play LET EM ROLL for a Honda Element (Std., 166hp, Controls)(S)($22,425)

(Wink) Hair Clog Blaster$6.99
Gold Bond Ultimate HealingLOWER9.12
Ester C SupplementLOWER12.99

THE ROLL:
1.   3 Cars & $2500   LOSS

There are losses, and ther are bad losses. This was a bad loss. The side game is not as complicated as Andrea made it.

SHOWDOWN #1
$3,929Andrea50 + 40.90
11,509Melissa15 + 80.95Through to Showcase Round
14,869Samantha30 + 60.90

4   His/Hers Snowboard Equipment (L)
ALEXANDRA 3500 +Ronald 525 Lisa *1000 Louie 526 ($1294)

Lisa plays COMING OR GOING for a Gem ES Flatbed Electric Vehicle (R&S)

→ $7995   (She's "Going")   WIN!

5   Capel Prism 8x11' Area Rug (S)
Alexandra 1100 +Ronald *1375 JAMES 1300 Louie 750 ($1748)

Ronald plays MONEY GAME for a Honda Accord LXS (Std., 190HP, At, Wheels, Mats)(R)

2123-237-bk85-3
8570-462-521-1
$238$23 4 ––   LOSS

6   Nirve His/Hers Cruisers (L&R)
Alexandra 600 CHRISTINE 825 James 900 Louie **1000** ($1000)

Louie pockets the $500 wad and plays 2 FOR THE PRICE OF 1 for a Howard Miller Barcelona Wine Cabinet (S) and a Golden West Billiard Table (L)($4460)

SetupFreePicksPrice
8 6 98    48    44
$ $ $$ 6 $4 6 58 6 5
4 3 54 3 534 3LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,500Louie55 + 30.85
1,984Ronald80 + 30OV
9,289Lisa90 stay.90Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Melissa has the honor.

SC1-Lisa (Panasonic) 32" Plasma HDTV
Broyhill Carson Manor Bedroom Group
Comfort Solutions Laura Ashley Sleep Set (S)
Beachcomber Hot Tub (L)
BID$24,000
PRICE20,076
DIFFOVER
SC2-Melissa WHAT THESE THREE HAVE BEEN WAITING TO DO FOR SIX YEARS EACH...SPEAK
Dac Valencia Diamond/Gold/Sterling Cuff Bracelet (R)
Trip to Sao Paolo (6n @ Caesar Park)(S)
Reinell 20' Ski Boat (L)
BID$26,800
PRICE33,548
DIFF–6,748
TOTAL$45,057

...oh, by the way, the models can talk.

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $76,628

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:01:41 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline OrchestraRicki

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/16/2008
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
I would like to say that this episode had done fairly well.  The show had a good start with 2 wins in a row; then things got a little rocky.  But 3 wins out of 6, and a $2,500 win, seem fair.  Yet, at the end, it is great to have a showcase win, especially the showcase with the talking models!  Th-th-th-that's all Folks!

Hector Manuel Torres Jr. :-)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:08:09 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
Ok show today, the 2nd showcase was pretty good with the models speaking and everything. Sub-par lineup however.

I'm not sure how 1 Right Price was won. I assumed Scottsdale was $4324, ain't no way I'd have thought it'd be $5k plus.

Let 'Em Roll was just totally abysmal.The way Andrea played the sidegame she really didn't deserve that $2500. :roll: It's like she won $2500 for doing nothing right. I'd have probably thrown the remote if she'd rolled all 5 cars on that single roll.  That sidegame ain't hard, but she sure made it seem like it was impossible.  :headbang:

Coming or Going is hot. Has it already been won more this year than it was all of last year?

2 For 1 again?!? C'mon let's see Magic #.  :-P As of today in its 3 playings thus far, 2 For 1 has now been played in every slot in the 2nd half. 1st time-5th, 2nd-4th and today last.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:00:31 PM by rob79 »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
Like everyone, it also surprises me how the Peanut Gallery thinks the lotion & supplement are cheap. Also, how was -05 not the back?? XD

B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
Until Let 'em Roll, we had an eight-game win streak.  Pretty impressive.

Holy crap someone won Coming or Going with an XX95 price!  :P

For those who might know...who set up the fakes (aka the board) for Money Game?  Not having El Cheapo be the back two, and the 37 possessing the backend...wow.

What was the point of showcase #2?  :P
Excellent idea, bad bad bad execution.  It was executed brilliantly last season with that showcase where the ladies talked while sitting in a setting like a outdoor cafe (don't remember the exact theme).

Decent overall show.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:58:04 PM »
The show started out great, but slumped towards the end.  

Samantha was awesome, and really helped Drew throw right into Half Off with excitement.  It was funny when she remarked that both the remaining boxes were pink, making it harder to pick the right one.  We can agree color doesn't generally help. :D  

Gah, Let 'Em Roll was hard to stomach.  I think they were going to give out at least 2 rolls today, or probably just made it tougher since the Honda looked like a better, slightly more expensive fit for Hole in One.  I don't believe she deserved $2500 either, for doing nothing absolutely right.  

Money Game as usual was a drag, although I liked that Drew sneaked up on a few numbers.  It'll take awhile, if ever, to bring suspense into the reveals.  

241 again?  I watch occasionally, but this must be at least the second time I've caught the game.  Wonder why there's play increases of this and PAN.  

Models can talk.  And they did!  That was probably the best segment of the day.  I liked it for what its worth, but it would've been the icing on the cake if they also introduced the prizes they were modelling.  That would've been sweet!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »
Not a bad show today. LER was painful to watch (and see a 8-PG winning streak come to an end), but everything else was pretty good.  I was surprised by El Cheapo being incorrect in Money Game.

Is it just me, or did money fall out of the box as Shane was picking it up off of the table during Half Off? I thought I saw something laying next to the box as she was picking it up.

And, wow, the models speak! That was pretty cool.

OVERALL: 3.5/5.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »
We were blessed with two wins at the top of the show which helped put Drew in a good mood.

However, as I am noticing more and more as we get into the second year of Drew, he does NOTHING of note with the contestant.  I didn't notice it much the first year because I felt he was in the learning mode...but now I am getting worried.

Let examine his interaction with the contestants on today's show:

Samantha:  Only asks the question "How does it feel to be tall?" ( a stupid question anyway) 

Melissa: (who seemed like a great contestant)  acknowledges her by declaring "We have a ringer"

Andrea (also a great contestant) Drew does his jumping around routine

Lisa:  Drew only acknowledges the family reunion

Ronald: Asks him "What do you have to do at the FBI?"  (no follow-up or anything)

Louie: (in contestant row since the second item up for bids)  all he says is "Where are you from"

These contestants should be examined more.  If not, they look like greedy people acting silly on a show just to win stuff.   The host of the Price Is Right, whoever that should be, should bring out the character of these people and their stories.  There is far more to going to the price is right than just winning stuff.  For many people, its a journey, a milestone in their lives, or an experience just to be on TV for a few seconds.  We are losing all of that, unless Drew finds out who these people are.

The new producers do not realize how important this is---the soul of the show has always been about the contestant!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
It doesn't make for a good introduction of the host if even the announcer is caught off guard by the silly antics the host makes during his entrance.  Just another reason why Drew should stop them.

I really wish Drew would stop sounding so annoyed when explaining how the One Bids work at the top of the show, especially with always saying, "Of course, the beautiful prize..."  Why not say what that "beautiful prize" is?

Samantha's remark at the end of ½ Off was hilarious.  I only wish she didn't have to have snagged Drew's mic in order to say it.

Is not the purpose of the announcer giving a trip plug so the contestant knows what the trip consists of?  Why does Drew continually feel the need to recap trip plugs?

Andrea's abysmal performance in Let 'Em Roll is further proof that seeking the audience for assistance when playing a pricing game merits nothing.  Don't look to them.  Trust your own judgment.  As Bob would often say, "What makes you think they know anything about the prices more than you do?"

Why does Drew always go quiet during Money Game?  Nearly every playing I've seen him host shows absolutely no enthusiasm coming out of him, just silence as he pulls up the cards followed by a, "nope" if it's a money card.  Money Game is really a pricing game he seems to have a problem putting any enthusiasm into.

What was that cue played during 2 for the Price of 1?  It was horrendous.

With today's second Showcase, I emphasize again to people look past the fact that the models spoke to what they said and the structure in which they said it.  Their lines were absolutely pointless.  So the models can talk?  No friggin' way.  I never would have guessed that.  Now don't make them sound like they've just been healed from a lifetime of dumbness and give them lines of a script that creates an actual theme to the Showcase.  There was no theme to this Showcase, just haphazard insertions of lines by the models.  Plus, all it sounded like the models were doing was complaining.  The attitude I got out of their lines was, "Finally, I get to talk after all these years.  Took them long enough."  Really, even if it had just been centered around the fact that they have not spoken and just introduced the prizes, that would have worked out fine.  You could have even added some face time for Rich at the end with him sort of flustered that his lines were taken away from him like that.  That would have been a good Showcase.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 05:50:05 PM »
I was waiting for our resident curmudgeon Nick to chime in because I fully expected him to point out the flaw in today's second showcase. Sure enough, he did.

I'm surprised there isn't more throwing of foam rocks at the screen for that effort. Nothing against the ladies here, but everything against the writers. So the models can speak. OK, but we knew that coming in. Shane once hosted an action sports show on FSN, Lanisha's heard occasionally on DOND. Rachel, OK, this for her was the first time. But all they were given to say was this "models can speak" stuff. Theme notwithstanding, what good was that?

The last two times models got audibly involved in a showcase, all concerned got lines that led up to the prize to be displayed next, rather than leaving it up to Rich.

I just feel like there was something missing in the final product. But props to the producers for at least thinking of them, and the ladies for carrying out what they were told to do. Now, it's time for a do-over.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:04:04 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 05:50:40 PM »
You're pretty much right, PriceForever.  Melissa--loyal friend and true?--and Andrea both had some great untapped potential there, both of which kinda' tapered out as the show went on.  On the other hand, it was nice that Samantha was great at showing a lot of her personality throughout her appearance despite the lack of prompting from Drew.  Loved the "they're both pink" comment!

Quote from: PriceForever
Andrea (also a great contestant)

I'm glad someone else noticed!  Just so peppy jumpy happy and stuff.  Reading all these replies, I don't understand why no one liked Andrea, and felt she didn't deserve the $2500.  Was I the only one who noticed that, for the first time in Let 'em Roll's history, it was virtually a forced loss for anyone who wasn't us?  Um... wait.  Strike that.  A forced 96.9% chance of a loss.  Seriously.  That was the least Roger-like setup of any pricing game yet!  I know Roger could make the groceries tricky sometimes, but he's never been that vicious before in Let 'em Roll.

Though really, the 05 being wrong in Money Game, and box #13 surviving the second elimination in Half Off... there were some contenders today :).

One Right Price would have been almost impossible to win had it been Switch? instead.  Always interesting when that rarity happens.

The second showcase was probably the most disappointing showcase of the season thus far.  "The models can talk!"  It was a great idea that could have been awesome!  But the execution was just about the worst we've ever seen!  Rachel talks, and then in the most abrupt transition ever, Rich starts describing jewelry.  Then Shane speaks in amazment that she can speak, then an equally awkward transition to the trip.  Then Lanisha goes cheerleader on us--which I liked, really--but just led to another afterthought-ish transition to the boat.  Couldn't there have at least been minimal effort to tie the models speaking to the prizes?  Even the pirate showcase last week did that little.

Quote from: Wayoshi
Also, how was -05 not the back?? XD

Roger's gone.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
1/2 Off:  Great! :-D
1 Right Price:  Good job! :-)
Let Em Roll:  What a tough loss :cry:  The side game is NOT that hard!
Coming Or Going:  And it's another win! :-)  I don't think CoG has been lost yet this season.
Money Game:  Too bad! :-(  I thought for sure El Cheapo would be the back end, but it was the front-and-back trick that got Ronald.
2 For The Price Of 1:  I think that Louie made a smart decision choosing the middle number for his free one, but he pulled a  :gotc: when he picked 4 instead of 8 for the first number!

Pretty good show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 05:59:44 PM »
Not counting that Let 'em Roll disaster, it's a pretty good show. And it seems to me that there has been at least one Showcase overbid at the end of the show. Blame the Bulldog... Just kidding, I still love this show! GRRR!  :D

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 06:03:09 PM »
Roger's gone.

But the season number is very Roger-esque, too. It's happened at least once a season since they started putting it on the board.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »
I was waiting for our resident curmudgeon Nick to chime in because I fully expected him to point out the flaw in today's second showcase. Sure enough, he did.

Because you have subtly crafted that into a statement noting my skillful observance, I will take it as a compliment; but really, I'm not looking to pick out the bad stuff about the show.  I'm looking to pick out the good stuff.  The good stuff is just very hard to come by these days while the bad stuff keeps getting pushed out more and more.

And looking back at my post, I can see how my message can be construed to have a cantankerous tone to it; but I was expecting to come to this thread with already a flux of, "Yay!  The second Showcase was awesome!  The models got to talk!" remarks.  Apparently, that is not the case, but then again, it's early.  We haven't gotten to the second page yet.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.