Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/16/2008  (Read 19770 times)

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/16/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 06:01:41 AM »
I thought the second showcase was a good idea, but it was poorly executed. Drew's entrance was funny. Good show otherwise.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 06:59:27 AM »
I can't believe that television producers, guys who are supposed to be "professionals" can let something like that pass for the 2nd showcase.  It's pretty bad when people on an internet message board have more of a clue than guys who are in the actual business.  No disrespect to anyone here.  You guys do a great job, but we shouldn't know more about running a show than they do.  How can they not see what is clearly obvious to us?

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »
Um, why? Everything Steve said was dead on accurate.

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
I can't believe that television producers, guys who are supposed to be "professionals" can let something like that pass for the 2nd showcase.  

I can't agree more.  It is amazing that the producers of price and CBS would let that showcase get on the air.  It was as if it was written by a Junior high school student.  Once again, this shows how much leverage Drew has with the show---he can do whatever he wants.   

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 11:05:19 AM »
I agree that:

• Let 'em Roll is primarily about the rolling part of the game, not so much the grocery pricing aspect. Yet, you have to make the game challenging enough — and vary it (e.g., one time very easy, another time very tough, and then everything in between) — to ensure that we have a good game. I'm sorry she didn't do any better, but that's how the game goes sometimes.

• Drew could spend more time conversing with the contestants. But consider the possibilities that: 1. Some of the non-game play (i.e., the contestant interaction) is edited due to 2. An increased amount of commercial time. Remember, 38 minutes of show, 22 of commercials. In the 1980s, during the height of the Bob Barker-era, I'm sure there was 6-10 more minutes of show. But remember the phrase, "Portions of the show which did not affect outcome of the game play have been edited.").

Also, I reassert my earlier claim that not enough product descriptions include the names of the manufacturer, distributor, etc. Thirty years ago, this would have been unimaginable.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »
Oh You really need a hoverbound chair ...

First of all, the proper name of the motorized chair is Hoveround.  If you're gonna take a cheap shot at somebody, at least spell it right.

Second of all, temptation1979ga is absolutely right.  And so is Steve.  Steve has tracked every aspect of this show for at least the last decade.  And he has certainly been doing it a lot longer than you have.  I think he knows what he's talking about.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »
Quote from: Briguy
• Let 'em Roll is primarily about the rolling part of the game, not so much the grocery pricing aspect. Yet, you have to make the game challenging enough — and vary it (e.g., one time very easy, another time very tough, and then everything in between) — to ensure that we have a good game. I'm sorry she didn't do any better, but that's how the game goes sometimes.

That's understandable, the whole varying difficulty thing.  What I don't understand is all the "she didn't deserve the $2500!" posts, considering it was the toughest setup in the game's history.  Like everyone's mad at her for messing up the grocery pricing, despite whoever set the game up obviously intending for such.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 10:10:06 PM »
1/2 Off-I was thinking 11, but I was wrong.  Great win to start out the day.  LOL @ Samantha: "Price is Right is my summer job!"

1 Right Price-Hurray for two trips!  Wow, I didn't think Scottsdale was going to be that expensive.

Let 'em Roll-The grocery product portion wasn't played well at all.

Coming or Going-That was easy.

Money Game-I bet a big majority of us were screaming for Ronald to pick 05 (I know I was).  I was actually surprised it wasn't that.

2 for 1-Louie did a great job by asking for the 2nd number for free, but completely blew it by picking 4 for the 1st number.

Showcases-Wow, the models talk?  Craziness! :lol:  Too bad that was all they got to say.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline jj09

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 01:33:52 AM »
I was waiting for our resident curmudgeon Nick to chime in because I fully expected him to point out the flaw in today's second showcase. Sure enough, he did.

I'm surprised there isn't more throwing of foam rocks at the screen for that effort. Nothing against the ladies here, but everything against the writers. So the models can speak. OK, but we knew that coming in. Shane once hosted an action sports show on FSN, Lanisha's heard occasionally on DOND. Rachel, OK, this for her was the first time. But all they were given to say was this "models can speak" stuff. Theme notwithstanding, what good was that?

The last two times models got audibly involved in a showcase, all concerned got lines that led up to the prize to be displayed next, rather than leaving it up to Rich.

I just feel like there was something missing in the final product. But props to the producers for at least thinking of them, and the ladies for carrying out what they were told to do. Now, it's time for a do-over.

Must be a blue moon, I agree with JC.

:D

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »
Game #29 (#6,950)

Showcase #1
Plasma TV - $1,598
Bedroom - $9,899
Beachcomber - $8,579

Showcase #2
Dev (Rich said "Don".) Valencia's Bracelet - On Google, I used the following keywords:  "Dev", "Valencia", "18K", "Gold", "Sterling", "Silver", "Rhodium", ".04ct", "diamond", "cuff", and "bracelet", and the search results ended up with nothing that matches Rich's description, and there are also no online photos of the bracelet matching the screenshot below.  It is $2,000.

Shane's 3,818th prize, 308th trip, and her first to Sao Paolo - $7,553
Reinell - $23,995

Total show prize value:  $143,289 (26 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for October 30, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $69,069 (Rachel Reynolds, 2007)
Low:  $15,953 (Claudia Jordan, 2002)

Rachel Reynolds
October 30
Total:  $40,795
($17,358 won, $23,437 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (7-1)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 18 shows
Total dollars:  $1,045,943
($491,980 won, $553,963 lost)
Total prizes:  151 (95-56)
Cars, Trips: 19, 14 (6-13, 9-5)

Lanisha Cole
October 30
Total dollars:  $40,958
($28,784 won, $12,174 lost)
Total prizes:  6 (4-2)
Cars, Trips: 0, 0

After 8 shows
Total dollars:  $365,413
($207,147 won, $158,266 lost)
Total prizes:  63 (46-17)
Cars, Trips: 4, 6 (1-3, 2-4)

Shane Stirling
October 30
Total dollars:  $58,414
($23,627 won, $34,787 lost)
Total prizes:  11 (7-4)
Cars, Trips: 1, 2

After 6 shows
Total dollars:  $267,608
($130,786 won, $136,822 lost)
Total prizes:  51 (38-13)
Cars, Trips: 6, 6 (3-3, 5-1)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »
"Everybody should stay home from school to watch The Price is Right.  You don't need school when you can win $10,000 on a game show." :lol:

The surprise in ½ Off really was killed, when one could see a bill on the main prop after Shane lifted box #8 off of it.

I am impressed that out of three playings so far this season, ½ Off's wins outnumbered its losses.  Contestants are sure getting lucky with their box choices.

Still on the subject of ½ Off, I laughed at Samantha's summer job bit.  I can't say how she grabbed the mic like Syd would when saying it, though.  But when one is caught up in the excitement, what can you do?

Yay, 1 Right Price for two trips!  Although, I wonder why Drew recapped some of the trip.  It's not like contestants forget the plug from Rich all the time when they are on stage.  Also, I was quite surprised the trip to Scottsdale was pretty expensive.

Andrea almost pummeled Drew when she came on stage.  Also, I laughed when she said "I have to pee a little right now." Drew's throw to the car was excellent, kind of reminiscent of how Bob would handle the situation.

I don't know when, if ever, was the last time someone blew the GP portion of Let 'em Roll, but it was bad to see it blown today.  Also, her way of asking of the third item was higher or lower by audience cheer was just weird.  At least she has $2,500 to show for playing the game and hopefully she can buy some hubcaps for that Corolla, or "Another brand car that has to get bleeped out" :-).

Coming or Going has been on a hot streak, and it is nearing the halfway point for the number of wins from last year already!

Wow, for the first time in many years, El Cheapo wasn't the last two numbers in the price of the car.  But, surprisingly 37 was once again the correct choice.  Also, I must say Drew should work on Money Game reveals.  He seems so monotone and doesn't make it exciting, even though the game is usually dull.

2 For the Price of 1 appearing in one show for three consecutive weeks?!  That hasn't happened since Season 22!

I wonder if Louie was lost in communication when so many people were screaming 8 for the first number, he picked 4.

The way Rich said "How about watching yourself on The Price is Right" made me think of how Paul Alter would cut to a live shot of the contestants for a TV prize.  It's a shame Bart doesn't do it, or possibly abandoned the practice years ago.

Well, for those who missed it, the girls did talk in a showcase back on May 13, 2008, but that one was executed far better than this one.  I'm all for having the models speak on camera, but the way the showcase was written just around the fact that "The models can talk!" and nothing else, it really left a whole lot to be desired.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:35:12 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »
Opening:  I don't think that Army is gonna be too thrilled with Ronald wearing that Rex Grossman jersey. :-D
True.  Even us Bears fans have given up on him.

Also, Steve, while you might be right about -05 being wrong being un-Rogerlike...at least 37 completed the front-and-back trick?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy