Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/05/2009  (Read 22140 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/05/2009
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »
True, but I feel 1 Right Price works better to end the show rather than playing it third.  Grand Game last could push Pathfinder back to second and move Dice Game to fifth.  That would also work well.

Point well taken Nick. I always find it enjoyable to discuss the intricacies of game slotting.  :P With what you've proposed, Nick, we could thus see Squeeze, Path, Balance, 1RP, Dice, and Grand.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 10:51:59 PM »
Grand: Low Target. Rough Setup. When was the last time we had Cutex Nail Remover in a game? 20 Years ago? Klondike Bars are back and they still feel so good.  :-D The win was simply amazing!!

Pathfinder: As much as I like seeing this one played for the over $20K cars, It's kinda okay to see a less than $20K car offered once-in-a-while. Good job.

Squeeze: Audience....Shut the heck up!!!! Joan showed them very well.  8-)

1RP: Too bad.

Balance: Drew sure moved this one right along and we might need a load of WD-40 to work up the scale.  :lol: Too bad.

Dice: Claudia's reaction to seeing the car was great and she dersevedly earned herself it!!!  :-)

Showcases: More damages to the ERITH showcase. When can some things just be left alone? The second wasn't all that special but it could've done better without the "Misspelling" part. I'm glad Joan won, but I did feel sorry that there were no "Wheels" involved with her showcase. But I'm still happy for her.  :-)

A 2.75-star show.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
Grand Game:  Finally, a $10,000 winner!  They still have the damn red graphic, though. :-x  I have nothing against the red graphic, I just think the green graphic works better with Grand Game.
Pathfinder:  Nice win! :-)  I was pretty surprised when I found out that 5 was not the last number in the price of the car.
Squeeze Play:  Good job! :-)  I was thinking the 6 should go myself.
1 Right Price:  Too bad! :-(
Balance Game:  Rats! :-(  It sure seemed like they were rushing this game a little for some reason.
Dice Game:  Great win! :-)
Showcases:  I knew Steven's bid was way low!

Good show today overall, IMHO. :-)
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »
Those Klondike bars look plastic and/or fake.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:28:26 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »
Quote from: Nick
True, but I feel 1 Right Price works better to end the show rather than playing it third.  Grand Game last could push Pathfinder back to second and move Dice Game to fifth.  That would also work well.

Bah.  I've always hated One Right Price, Barker's Bargain Bar, and Double Prices sixth, especially in more recent years where it's become much more common.  Squeeze Play makes a better last game for simply trying harder.  Switch? makes for an oddly decent last game just because that music seems so fitting to end things with.  rob's come up with the best lineup for these six games, I do believe, but the one we got still worked.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 05:21:07 AM »
Pretty good show!

Not as good hosting quality as the early December tapings, but nowhere near the dreadful slapstick of the early season.  We have about 2-3 weeks estimated before we get back to a regular taping schedule so if this is the worst of what is to come, I can accept that.  If there is this type of improvement, we should be back to Christmas week airdate professionalism around mid-month.

Drew blundered at least once during the end of one of the games, saying that the Showcases were next when he obviously meant the Showcase Showdown.  Grand Game and Pathfinder were hard!  We had sharp contestants today, except for a couple of stupid $100 bids in Contestant's Row.

Joe

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 06:12:28 AM »
No, there was only ONE stupid bid on the Lancome. Salem's one-up was perfectly acceptable.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 09:30:36 AM »
One peculiar thing I noticed from the March 20, 1996 playing of Hole in One is a package of Klondike Big Bear ice cream sandwiches, with the sandwiches seen in the plastic case.  I wonder if they melted or were they frozen for a long period of time.

Or perhaps the "ice cream" wasn't the actual product but Styrofoam (i.e., a special package created just for the show, or something). I don't know what effect the studio lighting has on the temperature, but if it's what I sense it is, the ice cream would have been melted or melted significantly by the time of this Grand Game playing — even if they ran the product out from the freezer real quickly before the game started.

Brian

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »
Point well taken Nick. I always find it enjoyable to discuss the intricacies of game slotting.

I just wish we were talking to Adam about this. :P

With what you've proposed, Nick, we could thus see Squeeze, Path, Balance, 1RP, Dice, and Grand.

Also good, though because I'm old-fashioned and like to put single-prize quickies in the fourth slot, I would swap Balance and 1RP around.

Bah.  I've always hated One Right Price, Barker's Bargain Bar, and Double Prices sixth, especially in more recent years where it's become much more common.  Squeeze Play makes a better last game for simply trying harder.  Switch? makes for an oddly decent last game just because that music seems so fitting to end things with.  rob's come up with the best lineup for these six games, I do believe, but the one we got still worked.

This is a very good point and one that I agree with.  What can I say?  When I draft lineups, I like to follow Roger's ways. :)
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »
In addition, aside from the fact that The Price Is Right is not Wheel of Fortune or Let's Make a Deal, typically car wins in those programmes were at the end of the show or that particular contestant's involvement in the programme.  Price doesn't work like that.

Not a reply to your post per se, but just how you spell program (as we do here in the United States) ... you must be using the British spelling ("programme") ... right?

Brian
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:32:25 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
you must be using the British spelling ("programme") ... right?

British... Canadian... whatever your flavour is.  I guess we got it all from them originally.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »
Bah.  I've always hated One Right Price, Barker's Bargain Bar, and Double Prices sixth, especially in more recent years where it's become much more common.  Squeeze Play makes a better last game for simply trying harder. 

Yep, I agree 100% Frank. I remember the days were Double Prices, One Right Price, and Bargain Bar were RARELY played last, Double Prices much more than the others. In fact it doesn't seem that long ago when Double Prices was played somewhat regularly in the 1st half (the 3 hole) as well. Were have those days gone? I miss 'em.

You're also right about Squeeze too, Frank, its soo much more interesting than the aforementioned games. I'd also throw in Freeze Frame as a worthy quickie to play last as well.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
Speaking of Double Prices being played in the first half, back in the 80s it wasn't uncommon to see it in the first or second slot. That's something I would like to see.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
You know, Double Prices first would actually be kind of nice, it hasn't happened since March 14, 1997, anyways.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Brandon

I gotta tell you, if you were in line with Brandon, you might not have given him such a high rating.