Author Topic: The Big Wheel  (Read 7309 times)

Offline backbiter

• In the Audience
The Big Wheel
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:36:34 AM »
I apologize in advance if this topic has been brought up before. But there are way too many topics in this forum for me to search for it. Okay, I'm lazy.

Be that as it may. I'm having an argument with a friend of mine. She says The Wheel has always existed. I say Not So. Didn't there use to be a time where the top winners of each half automatically went through to the Showcase?

There's a steak dinner riding on this. And I know of only one site that knows the true answer. So help me out to a free steak.  :-D

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Big Wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
The "Showcase Showdown" version of the show premiered when the show went to an hour in 1975.  Before that time, the two top winners of the three games played advanced to the showcase and there was no wheel used.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline backbiter

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:09:27 PM »
THAT'S IT!!!! Thanks BW. Of course you know, this only wins me half a steak. Ah the hell with it. LOL

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 01:54:57 PM »
Hey, a half-steak is better than a no-steak!  :lol:

Just a tip here: if you've tried searching on this site for an answer to a question like this and can't find any discussion on it, keep in mind we haven't been here too long.  Try the old site, because after three years there chances are it has been discussed, and depending on the subject, it could be many times.  Some around here like to bring up the same subjects over and over again...
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 04:42:46 PM »
The Big Wheel wrote:
Some around here like to bring up the same subjects over and over again...

When Penny Ante returns, should they increase the double showcase winning range to $500? Or will they do it on the next primetime specials?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Forrest20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »
Nope, none of that will happen until Rich gets on camera calling contestants down. :-P

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 06:31:45 PM »
Yeah, not until Time is Money comes back! ;-)

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:29:56 PM »

The Big Wheel wrote:
Just a tip here: if you've tried searching on this site for an answer to a question like this and can't find any discussion on it, keep in mind we haven't been here too long. Try the old site, because after three years there chances are it has been discussed, and depending on the subject, it could be many times. Some around here like to bring up the same subjects over and over again...

Or you could just use the FAQ.

iluvpir wrote:
Yeah, not until Time is Money comes back!

Interestingly, I had a dream last night that it returned.  The set looked similar, but it was coated with wallpaper with ballons and such on it!  :-P Also, it looked like a few pieces of the Balance Game '84 set were used too.

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 07:57:22 PM »
by Forrest20 on 2006/5/31 4:58:42 PM

Nope, none of that will happen until Rich gets on camera calling contestants down.

Good; now let me check out a new signature.  :lol:
So long!

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 10:27:29 PM »

Forrest20 wrote:
Nope, none of that will happen until Rich gets on camera calling contestants down. :-P

And that ain't gonna happen until they go back to the way it was in the early days and have the contestants STAND UP! and only then Come On Down in unison.   8-)
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 08:17:09 PM »

Gary Dunaier wrote:
And that ain't gonna happen until they go back to the way it was in the early days and have the contestants STAND UP! and only then Come On Down in unison.

Which is what they were planning for Season 35 to get in another 15 seconds of commericals.  :-)

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 07:06:43 AM »

MSTieScott wrote:
When Penny Ante returns, should they increase the double showcase winning range to $500? Or will they do it on the next primetime specials?

When Bob retires...  :lol:

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 10:38:53 AM »

djsquare wrote:

MSTieScott wrote:

When Bob retires...  :lol:

When WOF raises the price of a vowel to $500.   :lol: