Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/22/2009  (Read 19720 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/22/2009
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »
would indifference be conveyed to you if Drew just says "We know that it's higher/lower", preferably in a excited or at least happy tone, instead of saying "It doesn't matter."?

I'd have to see that happen to give a real answer, but based solely on how you've said it, I'd say that, at least, it would sound better; but there wouldn't be anything wrong with doing as Bob did and still have the contestant respond higher or lower appropriately.

I think, as much as it was a formality when Bob was hosting, just cutting to the chase saves time that can be used for other aspects of the show.  Then again, not doing the audience shots to commercials, Drew not being suspenseful on all one-bid reveals, and him cutting to the chase when it comes to gameplay would have the same effect as well.

You just answered your own argument quite well.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 07:22:11 PM »
Back to "norm" for bad SC's scripts

After seeing some of today's prizes, I'm more convinced that offering cash for regular games isn't such a bad idea.   TV's are good, Cars are good.  But Scuba equipment & hovercraft.  Seems to me that there is very small % of the population that would find that useful.

Anyway...

I echo what has already been posted.  What a boring line up...  There are some games that are very hard to make exciting.   Now a first try Bonkers win is always great to see, but Double Price, Pick a Pair and One Wrong Price can be quite difficult to make really really exciting.

Combine that with 2 SC"s that weren't good and you get a BLAH show.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 08:21:12 PM »
Any:  Wow, that was one cheap GPS.  (And if I see or hear one more person use the redundant phrase "GPS system", I will slap them with a rubber chicken.)

Bonky:  What up with the lights today?  There could've been the possibility of another techie win via this game, but Dane exactaed, so it didn't matter.  Am I mistaken, or is this two consecutive exactas in this game?

Pappy:  What the hell kind of a furniture setup was that?  And what's it doing in a prize package with scuba gear?  Yay!  Temptation cue! :P

Dice:  Yay!  !  I had a bad feeling about that fourth number being a 6.  Thankfully, Kathy felt generous today.

One-Bid #6:  Girls on trampolines! :-D

Lineup:  Today's lineup definitely left something to be desired.  Not only was the lineup boring, but it was short.  Come on, Kathy and/or Adam, was it really worth not having a small-prize game?  Or a multi-prize game?  Or a nice long car game like 3 Strikes?

Showcases:  Another pair of suckily written showcases.  But that personal chef and that trip to all of those New Orleans restaurants were really cool.  I sense that both of these showcases are sexed up.  There is definitely no danger of either of these showcases being cheapos.

My showcase bids:
Food/trip--$20,007
Hovercraft/Harley--$26,507
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »
I left live PIR at the third game, but caught the Drewcases on CBS.com because of what was said here.

(Lineup sucked.  Horrible.  Someone absolutely hates giving away more than three prizes in a game for some reason.)

Drewcase #1 had all the elements of a good showcase, great selection of prizes, but "assembled" really sloppy.  And *two* prize recaps?

Drewcase #2...zomg gimme those two minutes back.  This whole "conversation" stuff doesn't work.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
Am I mistaken, or is this two consecutive exactas in this game?

Unfortunately, you are mistaken.  There was an exacta on the December 15th playing, but the January 9th playing featured the famous HHHH setup.

And the contestant lost.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »
Wow...Drew actually did a pretty good job of hosting Any Number.  Too bad I can't say the same about the Showcase.

...You know, Drew's been hosting the show for well over a year now.  There is no way we should still be critiquing various aspects of his hosting this way at this point.  He should have everything down pat.  Period.  I reeeeeeeeeally hope those shows we saw at Christmas weren't just a fluke.

It's probably a good thing Bonkers was won...with the lights going haywire again, they probably would have ended up with a blooper win, anyway.

Drew really needs to stop writing the showcases.  Both of them today were awful.  #1 could have been made just fine by trimming the "contestant intereaction" out of the script, and #2 probably shouldn't even have had a theme.

Literally, if they swapped out Bonkers for Switch? or 1 Right Price, 3 Strikes could have been played today for the Pontiac Solstice.

Bah.  Pontiac Solstices don't belong in 3 Strikes.  (Not that playing 3 Strikes would be a bad thing, of course.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 09:51:11 PM »
If loaded enough, like say the GXP version that fetches $30,000, they might.  But I do see your point, a Cadillac, Lincoln, Corvette, or some other sports/luxury car, even foreign ones are proper 3 Strikes cars.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:14:17 AM by Joe_Capitano »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline pete1974

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 01:33:35 AM »
I reeeeeeeeeally hope those shows we saw at Christmas weren't just a fluke.

When was this show taped?  was it after the Christmas shows?

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 04:56:29 AM »
I liked today's show, and thought Drew was about the same as always.  The food showcase had a good theme.  What I didn't like is that some of the prizes being offered as IUFB and for games don't see to be flowing together very well.  Rich asking the contestant's questions during the showcases or interacting with Drew during the Showcases has to stop.  The prizes should be theme-oriented, and have Rich just read the copy.

I actually don't mind Rich or Drew doing a Showcase recap because it helps contestants remember what was shown and can aid in their bidding.  Why are we seeing much fewer cars in Showcases than in the past?  This is disappointing!

I also want a return to normal Big Door entrances from Drew.  The little dramatics for IUFB's are OK from time to time, but lately they have been overdone.

Joe

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 05:13:10 AM »
Quote from: Pete1974
When was this show taped?

Read the recap. It always indicates the known tapedate.

Anyway, we've still a couple of weeks before we "return to December", which will also mark the halfway point of Price Season 37 - and it's nothing to write home about in the win column, either. Speaking of...

Quote from: SteveGavazzi
It's probably a good thing Bonkers was won...with the lights going haywire again, they probably would have ended up with a blooper win, anyway.

Seems somebody's spiking ol' Bonkeroo's "juice" again, ya think?

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 05:53:50 AM »
They really should have turned Bonkers off and just used a stopwatch.  I'm really, really happy it was won normally, anyway.  Anyone else notice the second hand kept moving long after Dane had won?

A living room group with... scuba gear?!  Seriously... scuba gear?  How exactly does that go with a living room group?

Even though Any Number had a fairly easy car price, there was just about no way Randi was going to win on the final pick.  The 8 was obviously in the GPS price... so of course, it was in the car instead.

I miss Roger setting up One Wrong Price.  I don't remember him ever being so nasty with the -95s in this game.

I wish they would have played the cue they used for the cooking class for the whole showcase up to the trip to New Orleans.  That's my favorite new cue, and you hardly get to hear any of it whenever they do whip it out.

Quote from: catdogwheel
Of course who knows. Maybe Drew did notice it but said nothing. And truthfully that's what should've been done, he said nothing.

No, that's not what should have been done.  They should have turned the game off.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:30 PM »
Anyway, we've still a couple of weeks before we "return to December", which will also mark the halfway point of Price Season 37 - and it's nothing to write home about in the win column

Can anyone elaborate on this?  Does this mean we have shows coming up with lower win percentages than normal, or that things aren't going to get better until the December tapings air?

Joe

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »
I'm referring to the season to date as a whole.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 03:33:53 PM »
Dude! That Knight Rider GPS has got to be the coolest prize I've ever seen offered on this show. I love the show (both versions), but you don't have to be a fan of Knight Rider to appreciate the awesomeness of that.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Eric
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »
I actually just finished watching this one on Innertube. However, I'm now all caught up with my TPIR watching.

Thoughts:
Any #: Wow, low 3-digit prize. Interesting to see the Solstice in a game. It seems to me those are reserved for showcases.
OWP: I thought it was the arcade game. Just seemed too high.
Bonkers: Lights were having a seizure again.
PAP: Not the easiest setup, but it's still pretty sad when this is lost.
DP: I wouldn't have won there.

SCs: Meh. Hovercrafts are tough. The groceries for a year showcase was on Grecoids.

Lineup was quite boring. Mix it up a little. Bring back some games we haven't seen in a while instead of this group, which we all see pretty regularly.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame