Author Topic: Special Cancellation  (Read 21959 times)

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
Special Cancellation
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:23 AM »
I submitted a question "Ask the Staff" on Reba.com about the status of her appearance. The Salute to the ACMAs has been cancelled completely. Here's the exact message from them:

"Thanks for your note.  This event is not happening."

I'm really disappointed about this. Way to be sick this week, Drew!
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Special Cancellation
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
Well, to some here, it will be a moment of rejoice because they predicted that it would have been a huge trainwreck.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
Well, to some here, it will be a moment of rejoice because they predicted that it would have been a huge trainwreck.

Right, because as well all know the best course of action is to condemn and pass judgment before anyone has seen a single frame.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
Right, because as well all know the best course of action is to condemn and pass judgment before anyone has seen a single frame.

Would it really have taken you to actually see this show to decide whether it was a good idea or not?  I think it was quite evident based on what several of us gathered that it was not a good idea.

How pleased I am that this atrocity never game to be.  If only we had been so fortunate Valentine's Day... well, we could still be so blessed concerning the baby shower show...
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:33:05 AM »
Quote from: jaydlewis

That's kinda' like saying that if you don't like an episode of a show, you should watch a second, since the second might be better.  Or that you shoud watch a third, just in case that one might finally be good.  Or a fourth, in case the first three were just lacking.  Or six hundred eighty-two, in case it just took six hundred eighty-one attempts to get it right.

Seriously.  At what point do we finally get to say the gimmicks suck without having to watch each and every one first?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
Seriously.  At what point do we finally get to say the gimmicks suck without having to watch each and every one first?

Before the first one started.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »
not saying he did... but if drew called in a few fake sick days knowing it would cancel this episode. thank you drew. thank you so much.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
Would it really have taken you to actually see this show to decide whether it was a good idea or not?  I think it was quite evident based on what several of us gathered that it was not a good idea.

How pleased I am that this atrocity never game to be.  If only we had been so fortunate Valentine's Day... well, we could still be so blessed concerning the baby shower show...

What makes you an expert to declare everything a bad or good idea? There's no way of knowing this would've been a good/bad thing unless we actually SEEN IT, which we won't b/c it was scrapped.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
What makes you an expert to declare everything a bad or good idea?  There's no way of knowing this would've been a good/bad thing unless we actually SEEN IT, which we won't b/c it was scrapped.

I believe Frank has already made the extremely valid point of why you can be quite sure that this show wouldn't have worked.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
I believe Frank has already made the extremely valid point of why you can be quite sure that this show wouldn't have worked.

But he's wrong.

Other sites and other fans, and SOME fans on this board have enjoyed the so-called gimmicks, inlcuding the MDS', the Salute...shows, the Valentine's show, and the Halloween show.

Because we won't see this show now, we have no idea if it were to have worked or not. Every theme show, for every television show, is different. We JUST DON'T KNOW.

Just because high ranking mods don't like something doesn't mean everyone shouldn't- or won't.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:02:20 AM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »

This show would be no different from any other daytime show with the exception of (possibly) the set having a few decorations here and there, prizes having a general theme, and Reba popping up one or two times.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
Other sites and other fans, and SOME fans on this board have enjoyed the so-called gimmicks, inlcuding the MDS', the Salute...shows, the Valentine's show, and the Halloween show.

Then more power to you.  You're the minority the show's trying to reach now.

Because we won't see this show now, we have no idea if it were to have worked or not. Every theme show, for every television show, is different. We JUST DON'T KNOW.

But surely you would consider the track record of the gimmick shows, see a trend, and assume it quite likely that the next show would follow a similar suit, no?

Just because high ranking mods don't like something doesn't mean everyone shouldn't- or won't.

True, but more often than not, they seem to know what they're talking about.

This show would be no different from any other daytime show with the exception of (possibly) the set having a few decorations here and there, prizes having a general theme, and Reba popping up one or two times.

You make it sound so simple and nonchalant in text, but as with the other gimmick shows, I'll bet there would have been gaping faults sticking out like a sore thumb.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »
I can understand what Frank and Nick are saying if all of the gimmicks are the same or similar, but with the way these gimmicks have switched themes and style, I think you have to look at each one differently. For instance, I think I could understand if you no longer want to watch couples versions, but with other gimmicks that wouldn't have couples, you have to judge those kinds for yourself.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »
Then more power to you.  You're the minority the show's trying to reach now.

In a purely internet sense, how is this opinion the minority when at least four other message boards that cater to game show fans either don't care that the changes were made? And if we use the ratings as a guide, and the show is trying to get the viewers from the view, a majority of the daytime audience of that slot, how is this the minority?

But surely you would consider the track record of the gimmick shows, see a trend, and assume it quite likely that the next show would follow a similar suit, no?

This coming from a person who hates pretty much everything that Bob or Roger didn't sign off on.

True, but more often than not, they seem to know what they're talking about.
Not always.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. You have a small group acting as the self-appointed thought police that are hellbent on preventing any criticism of the show.

This is pathetic.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.