Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2009  (Read 72026 times)

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2009
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 10:08:03 PM »
If you need to, Fancast.com also posts the episode, and sometimes, it's posted before CBS.

BTW- This show was awesome! Drew loved April Fool's Day, and it shows.

Offline ironman00710

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42:03 PM »
Opening: Twisted words, backwards logo, the script, the glasses......Loved it!
Push: The next generation in snowmobiles! Off by a number, drat!
Gas: Quick loss :(.  If he won the car and the cash, he could afford the labor costs to fix that baby up and drive it home! :-P
Groc: Camping in style!  But unfortunately, THAT'S TOO MUCH!! (one milk)
SS1: LMAO! All those sound effects!  Han's song too!
ME:  I had to do a double, no, TRIPLE take!!  Three clocks, all by the same company!  And thats a win, lol!  I would have chosen the floor clock also.  Over $15,000 worth of clocks for her house or apartment!  :-P
Cove: So close!  And the MG cue again, lol!

Cover Up Missed it by one number :-(  It was hilarious to see a wheel clamp and parking tickets all over the car (reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer's car gets mass-ticketed parked outside the World Trade Center)
Totally agree!

Freez:  Forget Hover Rounds, its time for "Hover Scooters", lol!!  Seeing those reminded me of another Simpson's episode, that one with "The Movementarians".
SS2:  Even more sound effects!  Awesome!
Showcases:  The April Fool antics continue!

As soon as the MG theme came on at the end, did anyone else expect the spinning box at the end too? Like they did on the show?  Would have been a nice touch to add.

Overall, B-E-A-UTIFUL!  From start to finish!  Kudo's to Drew and the Crew!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:21:11 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:30 PM »
For the first time in ages, the show hit a home run with a themed episode.  Everything they did today that was supposed to be funny was funny.  It also helped that Drew didn't pound every joke into our heads -- in fact, he went about the show as if everything that was going on was perfectly normal, which is part of why it worked so well.  They even threw in a treat for us game show geeks by playing music from Match Game.  Seeing Mimi was pretty cool, too -- I was really nervous about how that was going to work, but it came off just fine.

There were only a couple things that bothered me on this episode -- Most Expensive and the second showcase.  April Fool's or not, I'm not sure why somebody needs three grandfather clocks...but then again, they were really nice clocks.  It probably wouldn't be hard to unload them on eBay.  As for the showcase...I just wonder how fair it is to make someone bid on prizes they've only seen the backs of.  Then again, the Top Winner was clearly way over, so it ended up not mattering.

The Big Wheel was weird...but hey, it's only for one day, and it's supposed to be a weird day.  The best part of it was On the Franches Mountains.

I can't believe Gas Money's ended in one guess two playings in a row.

I wonder if somebody finally noticed the way Roger set up Cover Up -- I've noticed a couple 1s in there as the tens digit lately.

SPLENDIDO!!  I couldn't believe they played that during the Showcase today -- I don't think we've heard it since October!

What was missing for me was the usual April Fools gag...with every game and showcases being ALL cars.

The what?  They've done that with one of the showcases before, but the only time it's ever happened with the pricing games was on the "5,000th" show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 10:53:14 PM »
This show was seriously the funniest Price Is Right episode EVER! The opening made me laugh so hard, I had to watch it again cuz I missed stuff.

The attention to detail was amazing. Winter background for the Waverunner, outdoorsy setting for the living room, footage of TPIR in reverse on the TV. That, mixed with MG cues and weird sound effects on the wheel, makes for a great show. And seeing Mimi was just a treat!

Am I the only one who thinks that, with all the gags they pulled, they missed the ultimate gag (for us at least) : Rich closing the show by saying "This is Johnny Olson speaking for The Price Is Right, a Mark Goodson-Bill Toddman production" ;) :hammer:

Offline Drewfan2008

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
Best episode in Years. What I loved about this episode is that even though the show was Silly, Drew hosted it as if everything was fine. Brilliant hosting.

Am I the only one who thinks that, with all the gags they pulled, they missed the ultimate gag (for us at least) : Rich closing the show by saying "This is Johnny Olson speaking for The Price Is Right, a Mark Goodson-Bill Toddman production"
It would have been even more funny if they got a recorded Johnny Olson saying "This is Johnny Olson speaking for Match Game '73, A Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production".

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
  • Just Brian Sapinski... for now
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 11:05:43 PM »
Ay yi yi... I just plain could not stop laughing. And to top it off, I gave my friend who missed the show nightmares about the image of Mimi in Victoria's Secret, even if it was just the robe.

I'm in full agreement with the Match Game music. It was AWESOME to hear that, and I wish they had cued up a couple other themes along the way. The wheel "beeps" were very strange of course, but every one of them had their payoff when the wheel stopped. Kudos to the sound department for fishing out so many sounds to begin with. Matter of fact, could you have imagined if they cued up the Press Your Luck board effect when the wheel was spinning? THAT would have been the money shot. And I don't care if you call me a homer over that. Fremantle's got the rights, they could've and you know it.  :P

The only thing that ruined things for me today was the fact that the gameplay just went south. I just feel like having only one game won meant that all the silliness was TOO much of a distraction. I know it wasn't, but still... And on that backwards showcase, I was ready to cry foul over the lack of a clear view of the prizes, too. Luckily for that guy, the other contestant just threw it away on a cruise on a barge through swampland, past a train and a wine glass...

And Manuela proved today that riding on the merry-go-round forever is only fun when you're a kid. I wonder if she's still spinning...

I could go on forever like we all have. Bottom line, they went all out and never stopped for a moment. That's how you do it right. Congrats on a hard-to-top excellent show, guys. The end.

Offline mswbwi024

• Outside in Line
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »
It was a great show. I was worried that the show would be way over the top, especially with Mimi, but it wasn't. It was really good. I don't think that I have laughed as much during a episode of TPiR before. Loved the Match Game cues, though I wish they would have used more than just the one think cue.

Everything made sense for the day. Great show.

I've got a copy of the saved.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 11:15:52 PM »
Incidentally too, was anyone else expecting a "Pig" reference from Mimi at some point in the show? I was a bit surprised there wasn't one myself.

I too was waiting for a "Pig" comment. She actually didn't say much at all, which surprised me. People who hadn't seen "The Drew Carey Show" were probably scratching their heads about who she was.

I have to admit, had I been forced to wear Groucho glasses during my entire appearance, I'd have been a bit annoyed. Maybe should've ditched them after the first segment. Still hilarious.

The Match Game music: brilliant. A pleasant surprise.

The car presentations: brilliant.

Did anyone else notice the appliances in SC#2 were unsponsored? I guess it makes sense. If I was GE or Whirlpool I wouldn't want a show advertising the back of my product. Should they have showed him the front of that stuff, even if during commercial? Probably. Had he not had the game handed to him by his opponent's $46,000 bid, I'd feel worse about it.

Hands down what made me laugh the hardest was poor Manuela spinning and spinning and spinning on the turtable. I guess it's that kind of "WTF?" humor that gets me most. Just when you think "Alright, they'll cut to Drew and let the poor girl exit," there she is, spinning away. Even as they're walking to the big doors, there she is, STILL in the shot, still spinning away. That girl must have a strong stomach. Freakin' hilarious.

Splendido with a car had to be planned.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »
I was wondering why I saw a whole lot of people with those disguises. Everybody looks like Meathead Stivic.

I always wondered what the Bill Cullen Studio looked like.

One Bid 1: So they had astronauts in bikinis. Now I know the moon landing was staged... here.

Take These Blocks and Shove 'em: I acutally believed the waverunner could glide in snow.
"What??? Match Game 73 music???? That hasn't happened there since 1982!"

Shell Card Game: Do the tires and Mimi go with the car? If it does, I'll take it.

One Bid 3: I am NOT blind. Seriously.

Supermarket Blackjack: I wasn't too suprised at that prize package; reminded me of a moment on a Martin episode. I almost did not notice the wheel spinning backwards. I wanted Sarie to just buy two Nesquiks, but just this moment I realized even that won't work. Looks like we got the old slicker font on one of the cards.

Showcase Showdown 1: What was the Wheel saying to Sarie's spin? LOVED Dee Ronnie Bobby Ricky Mike's yodeling spin. The other spins were also funny.

One Bid 4: Ah, takes me back to the real old years where we would see full 360 rotations.

That's Too Much!: Does size really matter? I think it does this time because I picked 2.

One Bid 5: I need a lot of V8 vegetable juice to rev myself to inflate those tubes...

Cover (This Game) Up: Wow! More Match Game music! Well at least Mimi and I are matching.

One Bid 6: "Mimi, take me away!"

Snap(shot) Judgment: Once again, a pair of motor vehicles always get me, even if they're swung around. What was Tammy doing??

Showcase Showdown 2: Once again, the spins were titillating. I really liked the boing sound that was used. Ah, takes me back to that Big Board game with those little red creatures.

Showcases: Well, almost everything that was joked was funny. You would think Debra was joking with her 46000 bid. That was definitely no joke.
What? The on-air version of the Match Game 73 theme? Surreal!

I guess I picked a good week for Price tapings, didn't I?
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2009, 12:28:52 AM »
One other thing to go back and notice...watch for Gwendolyn to knock over the lamp in showcase with the bedroom.  Pretty good stuff.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2009, 12:43:26 AM »
Does anyone have an answer to my question about Manuela?

As far as I know, we do not.

One thing I noticed that I thought was cool...

It's hard to tell in that picture, but you could clearly see that the Grocery Game sign was still on the turntable behind the Wii package background if you were looking for it.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »
Loved this show, first one I've watched in months.  Only one thing: About the final Match Game cue playing, is it that hard to find the actual on-air theme rather than the faster, different version played today?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:00:52 AM by Joe_Capitano »
So long!

Offline CaseyBuck

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2009, 01:30:22 AM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:01:22 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline godard

• In the Audience
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2009, 02:34:14 AM »
Loved it loved it loved it. Plus turntable fans had a field day. So many nice wide shots of the set. This was one for all the fans out there.

Offline dm

• My website
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2009, 07:05:01 AM »
Robair pointed out to me an interesting thing for you old-school Price fans, the return of a veteran name on the credits: stage manager Shawn Shea returned to the show today. She had worked the show in the 80's alongside the likes of Bob Chic and Doug Quick.