Author Topic: January 20, 1986: BOB HILTON Announces  (Read 11735 times)

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
January 20, 1986: BOB HILTON Announces
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:51:29 PM »
This is an episode I have personally uploaded---what? YES, I finally got up off my butt and posted something original! I have been told that this is the first Bob Hilton episode ever uploaded to YouTube.

Anyway, this is #5961D - Hilton's fifth show as announcer. Please note that the quality and/or sound may be not-so-good - this came off of a DVD I got in a trade, and I digitally increased certain portions of the audio track...but I don't think I was successful...

Please comment, even if it's just to let me know whether the audio is good or not. I'm kinda new to this whole "uploading/editing videos" business, so any suggestions will certainly help me out. Thanks, and now on to the show...

Opening and Game #1 (includes a HILARIOUS bit where Bob mocks stupid contestants):

Game #2:

Game #3 (includes a model chat)

Showcase Showdown #1 (no pre-Showdown plugs, sorry :-():

Game #4 (digitally-increased audio during last part of One-Bid; No mid-show bumper, either...):

Game #5 (very, very painful to watch...):

Game #6 (I LOVE the Giant Price Tag of this era - the best one until the Carey era):

Showcase Showdown #2 (digitally-increased audio for rest of show beginning near the end; No pre-Showdown plugs here, sadly):

Showcases (includes "How To Look Like The Very Rich"):

Results & Credits:

If you liked these, please subscribe. :-D I've got tons more videos to come for you guys. 8-)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:21:16 AM by temptation1979ga »
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: January 20, 1986: BOB HILTON Announces
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »
I've only seen the first few seconds of segment 1, and I've noticed 2 things---

-Right before Bob H. describes the first IUFB, you can hear Marc Breslow's commands bleeding from Bob's earpiece/headset to the mic.
-The cue in that one-bid, IIRC, was from "Concentration".

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
Pretty good episode--ya did well, Daniel. Keep 'em coming.

I must say (and several of you may disagree) but I was never fond of Bob Hilton's announcing (here on Price and esp. 100k Pyramid).. I always thought he was too hyper, too nasally/whiny and just too grating on the ears and it got to be annoying. I always preferred the announcing styles of Rod, Johnny Gilbert and Jack Clark (my 3 favorite all time announcers!!)

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Thanks for this Danny!  :biggrin: Keep 'em coming man!  :biggrin:

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I must say (and several of you may disagree) but I was never fond of Bob Hilton's announcing. I always thought he was too hyper, too nasally/whiny and just too grating on the ears and it got to be annoying.

I thought he had a great voice - not nasally/whiny at all. He must have impressed somebody since he got the most episodes in this Season and was the first choice instead of Rod.
======================================
But what about the episode itself? What was really funny or heartbreaking? For me, the best moment is when Bob mocks stupid contestants while the worst is that playing of Any Number - talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

(You know, it's really depressing when the guy who uploaded the episode is almost the only one to comment on things within it. :-o *sigh*.......)

:-D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:08:56 AM by WarioBarker »
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 12:14:21 AM »
Personally, I was amazed at how Breslow directed Super Ball!!, keeping the green wipe pattern throughout the SP portions of the game.

Also, it's amazing to see Bob's laid-back and easy-going attitude (with his wisecracks and how he would toss the dice to the contestant in Deluxe Dice Game), the mid-'80's was arguably the pinnacle of the show.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
Awesome video! I had no idea he announced an episode of TPiR. And, it has Superball, Deluxe Dice Game and Classic Any Number (from its final year!) to boot. The sound quality seems fine, considering it was recorded in '86 (at least, I'm guessing).

I look forward to more episodes from you, if you have them.

Speaking of Hilton as an announcer, not up to a Roddy-level, but is good nonetheless. Sometimes, he seems to the Drew-like ThEPRICEISRight as almost one word. :P

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
Awesome video! I had no idea he announced an episode of TPiR. And, it has Superball, Deluxe Dice Game and Classic Any Number (from its final year!) to boot. The sound quality seems fine, considering it was recorded in '86 (at least, I'm guessing).

I'm confused as to whether you mean calendar year (which is true) or "final Season". Any Number's first four playings in Season 15 were taped prior to the 1986 Specials and hence used the original board.

Also, this episode is an original broadcast from 1986, and I thank you about the sound quality - it turned out very, very well!

I look forward to more episodes from you, if you have them.

I thank you. I plan to upload another entire Bob Hilton episode very soon. I also have four 1975 half-hour shows with the brown set, three episodes from Season One, two episodes with Tom Kennedy, and three episodes with Doug Davidson.

In addition, I have hour-long episodes from 1976 (including TWO episodes from Season Four), 1980, 1981, 1986, 1997, 1998, and 2001. I also have Salutes 4-6 from 2002, the first two Million-Dollar Spectaculars from 2003, and the entire series of 1986 Specials.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:22:49 PM by WarioBarker »

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »
I'm confused as to whether you mean calendar year (which is true) or "final Season". Any Number's first four playings in Season 15 were taped prior to the 1986 Specials and hence used the original board.

Also, this episode is an original broadcast from 1986, and I thank you about the sound quality - it turned out very, very well!

I thank you. I plan to upload another entire Bob Hilton episode very soon. I also have four 1975 half-hour shows with the brown set, three episodes from Season One, two episodes with Tom Kennedy, and three episodes with Doug Davidson.

In addition, I have hour-long episodes from 1976 (including TWO episodes from Season Four), 1980, 1981, 1986, 1997, 1998, and 2001. I also have Salutes 4-6 from 2002, the first two Million-Dollar Spectaculars from 2003, and the entire series of 1986 Specials.

Yeah, I meant calendar year.

And, wow, sounds like you have an AWESOME collection. Can't wait to see some of those!

Offline Trevtpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 09:50:49 AM »
I'd like to thank WarioBarker for posting a Bob Hilton Price Is Right.  I've been wanting to hear how Bob H. sounded on TPIR.  This would be a great episode for DVD from an historical standpoint but it'll never happen because of Bob's ban on episodes with Holly.  I like Holly but dang, that lawsuit!!

Offline TPIRViewer

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
Do you notice that Bob Hilton never interacted with Bob? He's just like Don Bishop in that way.

Offline pete1974

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
and both Bobs (Barker & Hilton) have hosted Truth or Consequences!

...just thought I'd throw that out there :-D

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Actually, I totally forgot about that. :-o
=========================================
And, wow, sounds like you have an AWESOME collection. Can't wait to see some of those!

Thank you. :-D Actually, somebody had emailed me wanting to set up a trade and I had to decline. Just to specify, I cannot trade at this time due to a lack of funds. I also do not have a VCR, which means I can't upload anything I have on tape (which is about three-quarters or more of my collection).
=========================================
I'd like to thank WarioBarker Daniel for posting a Bob Hilton Price is Right. I've been wanting to hear how Bob H. sounded on this show.

Fixed that for you. :-) And you're very welcome! *bows*

Do you notice that Bob Hilton never interacted with Bob? He's just like Don Bishop in that way.

I'll have to double-check, but I think he began interacting with Bob by his last week.

Anyway, this is #5951D - Hilton's fifth show as announcer.

Could somebody please fix the episode number to #5961D? I just realized that mistake - which makes a ton of difference, since I posted it properly on the video pages themselves! :oops:

Daniel, I fixed the original post as you wanted it. Let me know if there's anything else you need.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:22:29 AM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »

I hope to see more from you real soon. Definitely looking forward to the '86 Specials being uploaded here.

Offline pinball777

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »
I like what I'm seeing with this episode. If you plan on uploading the 86 specials that would be huge. Hilton was alright at announcing, better than Gene, but not as good as Rod in my opinion. Also nice to see a playing of Grand Game with the text coming out. I think this was the first time they did this.