Author Topic: Should "The Price is Right" return to GSN?  (Read 9611 times)

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
Re: Should "The Price is Right" return to GSN?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 02:31:49 AM »
Here's another idea:  Add ANOTHER GSN CHANNEL called GSN Classic.  This channel would air nothing but the classics in both color and black-and-white, 24-7.

And also add GSN International, airing the best game shows in the United Kingdom and Australia.
They can't really do that when they're barely making it with the current network. As for international game shows on their own channel, there's not a whole lot of interest in it. Look at all the dramas & comedies that were brought here - Kath & Kim being one example - they just don't catch on. Not to mention it'd be a big hassel to gather tapes from those shows and it would probably cost them more to get started than make any revenue off it for a long while.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Here's another idea:  Add ANOTHER GSN CHANNEL called GSN Classic.  This channel would air nothing but the classics in both color and black-and-white, 24-7.

And also add GSN International, airing the best game shows in the United Kingdom and Australia.

YES!! That is an awesome idea. I've always wondered why they haven't done that. Talk about a hit! And yes! They should air TPiR again from 2003 back except for fur episodes. And air the other versions too! Why not do a Sunday thing of it since the Sat & Sun schedules are the same in daytime. They could call it Pricele$$ Sunday!
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 10:57:10 AM »
Look at all the dramas & comedies that were brought here - Kath & Kim being one example - they just don't catch on.

Yeah, but look at how we lapped up all their reality and game shows.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »
As Steve Beverly once said, "American production companies can't or don't want to come up with new ideas for games, so they bring in a game with a decent track record or was a hit overseas and modify it for American tastes.  That or they bring back a tried and true idea from the past and decorate it for modern times."
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
Those fur things happened IN THE PAST!!! Those were years ago. Bob needs to realize that these fur coat episodes were in the past, same with Janice and those models.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
Sure they're in the past, but styles and fashions change. Bob doesn't ever want to see fur become fashionable again, just like he doesn't want to show that it used to be "acceptable." Bob doesn't seem like the type to just let things go, even if it is "in the past."

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
Here's another idea: Add ANOTHER GSN CHANNEL called GSN Classic. This channel would air nothing but the classics in both color and black-and-white, 24-7.

Grand idea. I hereby promote you to head of programming at GSN... Hell, if I could do that I would be running the network!

Actually, GSN could easily air short-lived programs (less than 100 shows) from other countries - The New Price is Right '89 with Bob Warman comes to mind.
==================================================
Anyway, I'm still of the notion that Barker hated Dennis James in some fashion and told GSN not to air the ~50 shows that could be aired of the 1972-1980 nighttime show. He just allowed the 12/25/74 daytime show because GSN does that when people die.

I think that The Price is Right should return to GSN...just not against first-run shows. Although I know that "repeats would dilute the first-run show's production values", quite frankly the show's current production values SUCK.

Sure they're in the past, but styles and fashions change. Bob doesn't ever want to see fur become fashionable again, just like he doesn't want to show that it used to be "acceptable". Bob doesn't seem like the type to just let things go, even if it is "in the past".

One problem - GSN has aired other shows with furs in them (showing that they used to be applicable), including many of the Cullen series and three Barker episodes!

Bob's "I don't want to show that furs used to be acceptable" excuse has no backing, my friends. Never did, never will.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 08:56:46 PM »
I thought the Barker fur episodes that made it to air on GSN were just simple mistakes on their part. They overlooked them and accidentally showed them.

Also, I don't get what you mean by this, Daniel: "Bob's "I don't want to show that furs used to be acceptable" excuse has no backing, my friends. Never did, never will."  Why doesn't that make sense? If Bob doesn't want episodes with furs to be shown, then so be it. That's his choice. I think that's a much better reason not to show an episode than not showing it because a certain model(s) is there. I mean, to me, it seems perfectly logical for Barker to not want fur episodes to be shown.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:59:13 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
I thought the Barker fur episodes that made it to air on GSN were just simple mistakes on their part. They overlooked them and accidentally showed them.

I know that they were mistakes (and they spent two years going through them?), but that's not the weirdest thing GSN's done - TWICE they aired a game show episode and left in the original commercials. (The $20,000 Pyramid: July 20, 1978; To Tell The Truth: December 23, 1966) Once, they showed a Ray Combs episode of Family Feud - cut out the open but showed the slate.

Also, I don't get what you mean by this, Daniel: "Bob's "I don't want to show that furs used to be acceptable" excuse has no backing, my friends. Never did, never will." Why doesn't that make sense? If Bob doesn't want episodes with furs to be shown, then so be it. That's his choice.

My point was that Bob doesn't want people to know that furs were once acceptable, yet GSN has aired tons of examples that show that long ago, they were. Hence, Bob's "excuse" has no backing in my mind and hence such an excuse is illogical.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »
Ahh I see what you mean. However, I believe Bob is just doing what he can to help further a cause he strongly believes in. He can't change everything GSN airs, but in his mind, at least he's helping to keep most of Price is Right's fur episodes from seeing the light of day. I may or may not agree, but I can't fault him for standing up for something about which he feels strongly.

(And yeah, as long as GSN spent going through episodes of many game shows, they sure did miss a lot!)

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
I believe Bob is just doing what he can to help further a cause he strongly believes in. He can't change everything GSN airs, but in his mind, at least he's helping to keep most of Price is Right's fur episodes from seeing the light of day.

And happily he had zero influence over the original NBC/ABC runs.

(And yeah, as long as GSN spent going through episodes of many game shows, they sure did miss a lot!)

Indeed. ;-) Nowadays, they'll occasionally leave in the ticket/contestant plugs or leave the credits uncrunched. Unfortunate victims of the credit crunch include rare game shows - that one episode they aired of Password ABC comes to mind.

As a sidebar, the last time GSN aired The Price is Right was those Game Show Moments Gone Bananas specials - also the only time you'll see the Dennis James nighttime show with the GSN logo.

(...Actually, that goes for half the shows that clips were taken from - the Larry Blyden Showoffs, the Bert Convy Match Game, Sale Of The Century, and all the foreign shows/versions come to mind.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:44:51 PM by WarioBarker »

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 01:06:23 AM »
Yeah, but look at how we lapped up all their reality and game shows.

We do have a lot of them, but look at how many of those shows either failed miserably or died off fast because of over-exposure or gimmicks. Ie Reigs Millionaire, Primetime DoND, Weakest Link...
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 01:18:17 AM »

--I love the idea, too!  If they consider that I'd sign up for Dish/DirecTV again!  I want to add Pyramid w/ Dick Clark, Card Sharks w/ Jim Perry, Chuck Woolery's Wheel of Fortune, Bullseye, Win, Lose, and Draw, Love Connection, Tattletales, and still have Let's Make a Deal, Jim Perry's Card Sharks, and Press Your Luck.
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline sunniesocal

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
There were many years without furs, so why can't we see those years?  Is it really because Bob won't allow any shows that have Holly in them because he lost his lawsuit against her?  I know she wasn't in the DVD, what a disappointment that was.

I say give the fans what we want, not some old sore loser.

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 03:41:03 AM »
As Steve Beverly once said, "American production companies can't or don't want to come up with new ideas for games, so they bring in a game with a decent track record or was a hit overseas and modify it for American tastes.  That or they bring back a tried and true idea from the past and decorate it for modern times."

Although I happened to disagree with Steve in the past, this statement I agree 100 percent. Fremantle is an international company, and like we heard before, is trying to transform TPiR to resemble more of the international versions.

But back on the subject, I think there are more chances of seeing another TPiR DVD rather than seeing the classic episodes on GSN. And the first option has two chances, slim and none.

And slim may have just left town.