Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/18/2006 (35th Season Opener)  (Read 68424 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/18/2006 (35th Season Opener)
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »

IMPORTANT! Starting with this show, please use the "Rate Thread" device to RATE THIS SHOW!
Be honest. Base your rating on gameplay, contestant selection, and overall entertainment value.
No hunches. Give it some thought. Let's see which shows really stand out from the crowd this season.
You'll find the device above the recap post. Now then...

For the last 80 days or so we have eagerly awaited this moment. And now, it's here.

For the several hundred in attendance, and the millions watching on TV (and,
hopefully one day on Innertube), ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls...

LLLLLLLLLLLET'S GET READY TO COME ON DOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWN!
It's the long anticipated start of

(Rah.)

...and not only is it the 35th year of Price as we know it, both Bob Barker and the show
are approaching major milestones - the 50th Anniversaries of Price's first episode
(just after Thanksgiving) and Barker's TV debut (New Year's Eve).

One year ago over $200,000 in loot went out the door on opening day, the largest
single-day haul ever. Can that total be surpassed, and will the season average get
back on the happy side of par after falling short the last two years?

Well, what is everyone waiting for? The house is crawling with reporters, models,
webmasters, and average citizens. It's so packed the fire marshal might close it
down any minute. So, let's get this party started before they do.

Production #3681K - Taped Aug. 31, 2006

Bob: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Rachel

Models of the Day: Phire Dawson, Gwendolyn Osbourne, Rachel Reynolds,
Brandi Sherwood, Shane Stirling and Gabrielle Tuite
Wearing: Attitudes

Present and accounted for in the VIP section, the boys from G-R.net. Who needs celebrites?

1   Trip to Cancun (6n @ Viva)(B, GO, GT, & S)
TAMARA 2800MARIA 3000MICHAEL *3450WILLIAM 1($3916)

Michael plays LUCKY SEVEN for a Cadillac CTS BBT (Std., AT, Seats, CTS, Paint, GPS, Sport)(R)

Picks:$57
Price:42345
Bucks:730LOSS

2   Fitnexx R70 Recumbent Bicycle/Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (P)
+Kimala 1700+Maria 1801CAROLYN 900+William 1200($1999)

Maria plays 3 STRIKES for a Chevy Corvette (Std., Ride Ctl, AT, #3LT)(R&S)

Numbers: 0 1 3 5 9

1.(0)5th*$ - - - - 0
2.(9)3rd*$- - 9 - 0
3.(5)1st*$5 - 9 - 0
4.(3)2nd*$5 3 9 - 0
5.(X)STRIKE ONE!
6.(X)STRIKE TWO!!
7.(1)WIN!$5 3 9 1 0

3   Howard Miller 79th Anniversary Grandfather Clock (GO)
+Kimala 2301VICKYANN 2200Carolyn 1895+William 2300($3285)

Kimala, on or about your 40th birthday, prepare thyself. IT'S THE $50,000 PL!NKO! MONDAY!!!

Free Chip    (5)  0R
Libman Mop4/00$10*(5)10000WIN!
Crosscut Paper Shredder1/5535*(5)1000R
(Sharper Image) Radio/'nocs3/0090*(5)100L
(Snackster) Sandwich Maker7/3323*(5)500L

SHOWDOWN #1
$3,916Michael45 + 25.70
15,043Kimala30 + 40.70
55,949Maria85 stay.85Through to Showcase Round

4   Beachcomber Hot Tub (B, GO, R & S)
ELISSA 3800Vickyann *2500Carolyn 5500+William 1($3495)

Vickyann plays PUSHOVER for a Dodge Caravan SE (Std., Stereo, Pedals, Prot)(GT & P)

Setup:1 8 2 0 1 9 4 6 0
Pick:1 8 2 0 1 9 4
Price:$20,194   WIN!

5   Westley Allen Platform Queen Bed/Loving Care Twilight Crossing (S)
Elissa 2199
STUPID BID
ADAM 2200Carolyn 2500+William *2700($3084)

William, the last of the "First Four", plays DOUBLE PRICES for a Reinell Beachcraft 185 18' Ski Boat (B, GT & P)

$18,994PICK
($18,994)WIN!
$16,112

6   Tama Swingstar 5 pc Drum Set (P)
Elissa 1600
Adam 2895
Carolyn 1601
MARGARET 1500
OVERBID
($1080)

Carolyn plays MOST EXPENSIVE for (keeping to the theme)

Chrysler PT Cruiser (Std., AC)(GT)$16,000
Jeep Wrangler SE (Std., Paint, Seats)(R)     PICK19,135WIN!
Chevy Malibu LS (Std.)(B)16,990

SHOWDOWN #2
$22,078William95 stay.95
24,689Vickyann1001.00Bonus 40   Through to Showcase Round
53,205Carolyn40 + 45.45

SHOWCASE ROUND
Maria has the honor.

SC1-Maria
FAMOUS NEWSPAPER HEADLINES
Trip to New York City (6n @ Marriott)(P&S)
4 DXG Digital Cameras (B)
Saturn Sky (Std., Trim, AT, Wheels, Stereo)(GO & R)
BID   $35,000
PRICE33,089
DIFFOVER
SC2-VickyannPRIZES FROM THE FIRST YEAR (Sort of)(S)
JBL Home Theater System (GO)
Robotron/Joust Video Arcade Game(R)
DodgeViper SRT10(Std., V10, 6 Spd.)(GT)
BID      $89,500
PRICE   89,739
DIFF   -239
TOTAL   $147,517***DOUBLE SHOWCASE WINNER *** NEW DAYTIME RECORD ***

Today's Pricing Games: 5 for 6 (if only Michael was luckier than that Seven!)
Total Winnings: $297,708

This just in. Price is Right has just declared bankruptcy! (JOKE!)

One down. 174 to go.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/18/2006 (35th Season Opener)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:36:08 PM »
Darn it!!  I wish I didn't have to go to class...because I missed the DSW!

Anyways, I'm taking some time to make some final tweaks to my new "Price is Right Report Card"; it'll be at least a couple of weeks before the first "Report Card" is issued.  

I'll explain my new grading system at another time.  Until then...take it easy!!
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline ucb2912

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:36:50 PM »
Holy Crud! Now I really Hate School for missing this! This has to be the best season premiere we've had in quite a while. In fact, if I didn't know better, I would have thought they secretly taped another MDS and showed it instead of a regular daytime show. This definitely got the season started with a bang.

Also, look at the number of oddities. Lucky $even being the first pricing game of the season? I was expecting one of the big 3. Tehn 3 strikes as the second game was also pretty odd. Finally, Most Expensive for 3 cars? On a daytime show? Wow. Enough said.

Best darn show ever. I knew I should have played sick.
UCB

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:39:40 PM »
What a fantastic way to start the Season!  Incredible lineup, incredible contestants, ususual events, and fantastic wins!

Super job, Dob.

P.S.  I gave out a Gold Star to one of our members today!  Congratulations!!!
John

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »
Lucky Seven- Ouch. I had a feeling it'd be pretty tough once that Cadillac rolled out. Interesting that picking five for every number would've won it, though.

3 Strikes- Wow, what a finish! Worked it down to a full count, but still came through. Awesome.

Most Expensive- 6-car day?! It's the end of Price as we know it!!!

Showcase- I have no words. None. How do you explain that? Unreal.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY- Adam, even though he never got up on stage. I could tell he was a big fan of the show and had been waiting a long time to get on. It's a shame he was stuck in the Row.

SHOW SUMMARY AND GRADE- It was just a solid show, until that miracle in the Showcase. Wow... Grade: 4

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 01:43:53 PM »
Actually, if I was to grade this show now, using my old grading system, I would give this show an A+ that is worthy of landing on the Honor Roll.

I was absolutely SHOCKED about the DSW.  Just a few hundred more dollars in the other direction, and we would've had ourselves a tragic Double Overbid.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 01:46:31 PM »
WOW!!! WHAT A SHOW! Most expensive FINALLY get played for 3 cars! I set my timer on my VCR becuase I'm in High School. WAY TO GO VICKIANN ON BREAKING THE RECORD! Sorry Amy.

Lucky $even: Forced loss. Even though all 5's would have won.

3 Strikes: A Corvette! Wow! I know that Corvettes are often played for on 3 Strikes, but it's so thrilling to se it won.

Plinko: Not surprised to see this in the recap.

Push Over: Easy.

Double Prices: See Pushover.

Most Expensive: When I saw that this was played for 3 cars, I almost fainted.

Showcases: Way to go Vickiann! She's broken Amy's record.

Score: 20 out of 10!

And I call this "The daytime MDS!"

Offline Doughnut

• Crumbs from a Doughnut
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
I don't know what else I can say that hasn't already been said...  Awesome show from start to finish!

That finish in 3 Strikes was quite tense, even after Maria nailed her first 4 numbers in succession.  Man, was I glad to see that win!

Most Expensive for 3 cars.  That was simply amazing to see.

And the DSW at the end...  I was speechless.

Overall, an awesome start to the season!
Yes, I'm still around. :P

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 01:55:21 PM »
Excellent beginning to the 35th season. The confetti from the audience brought out the celebration. Too bad for that Lucky $even loss, but the other five wins makes up for that.

Great suspensful win on 3 Strikes. Great wins on Push Over, Plinko!, Double Prices, Most Expensive.

A Double Showcase win was an even greater way to start this monumental occation, plus $147,517 total in cash and prizes to boot. Great show.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »
This was a truly unbelieveable show.  I wish Bob would have kept his mic during the credits while he was introducing (with a baloon) some of the staff.  This show was truly worth the wait.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 02:03:44 PM »
Wow...I'm glad I was able to take today off of work to see this!  What an incredible way to start the season!!  Onto the games...

L7:  Ouch.  On the one hand, that was a tough price, but on the other, the all-5 strategy wins it in pretty dramatic fashion.  Maybe that's what The Dob hoped for.

3K:  At first, it looked like an exacta coming.  Then, a near heart attack.  Good thing she got all those numbers right quickly!

Plinko:  Of course we had to play this.  Usual stuff, glad to see $10000 won.

Pushover:  Easy.  That van didn't look like it was less than $20k.

DP:  Nice win!

ME for 3 cars!!!!!  And won!!!  Need I say more?  When was the last time that ME was the most expensive game on the show?

SCSD #2:  Nice to see an early $1000 winner.

Showcases:  My gosh.  When Maria went over, I thought for sure we'd have a double overbid to start the season.  Then Bob read "Eighty-nine thousand...", and the disbelief starts.  Is she over?  Does she win hers?  Both?  "...seven hundred..." well, we know she's won, but does she have both?  "...thirty-seven dollars!  You win both showcases!"  WHOOP WHOOP CLANG CLANG!!  Vickyann didn't just beat the daytime record, she absolutely shattered it!

Good thing, as MSTieScott pointed out during chat, that the first set of S35 episodes were taped before this one.  We won't see budget mode starting tomorrow.

8 cars offered, 7 of which were won.  $300k+.  DSW.  Wow.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 02:05:10 PM »
Wow... where to start?  Was this a season premiere or a Million Dollar Spectacular?  Seriously.

Well, there's the showcase.  And um... well, "wow."  It was impressive enough to see Vickyann not severly lowball on the Viper showcase.  Made for a great ending, though... I mean, let's set the stage here:  Maria had overbid.  So now we start worrying "oh no... could it possibly be a double overbid?"  I mean, dang that was TENSE!  I'll say it again:  TENSE!  And after the "89" came out of Bob's mouth... ooh, a 50/50 shot of the most painful double overbid in Price is Right history!  But as it turns out, no, it was the greatest showcase bid in Price is Right history!  It's difficult enough to get a double showcase win on a cheap showcase, but to get one on an $89,000 showcase?  Amazing!  I'll repeat that, AMAZING!

And Three Strikes... about as exciting as it can get!  Cutie Maria played perfectly, getting four numbers without missing a beat, then strike 1!  And strike 2--isn't this the first time since the rule change that a contestant who had 4 numbers and 0 strikes got the strike on the next two pulls?  Pretty sure it is, but ooh, what drama it builds!  Playing so perfectly, no strikes, and all coming down to the final draw.  What a way to win, what a way to WIN!  Now admit it guys:  it wouldn't have been as exciting if she won with zero strikes!  I thrive on the danger!

And where did Most Expensive come from?!  Three car Most Expensive:  wow!  I would've lost, actually, but three cars behind every door, with the Super Ball!! cue playing... more fun than Triple Play, and easier on the show's time constraints too !

I was surprised Lucky $even was lost so quickly.  The price was pretty tame, though Michael lost on only the third number.  Lucky $even feels like a pretty appropriate game to start a season, anyway, with a Cadillac being driven out onto the stage!  Better than Triple Play, certainly.

And there was the thing with the confetti, and Bob's talk about not knowing tbere'd be confetti.  I'd have figured it was planned.  Would have figured if Bob hadn't said anything about it.  It felt kinda' right, anyway.

And well, the lineup in general!  Two regular car games back to back to start the show, and none in the second half, but two non-car games for cars in the second half!  No way I could've seen Three Strikes coming after Lucky $even!  Or Most Expensive for three cars after it had already been a three car game day!  Has there ever been a 4 car game day on The Price is Right ever before?  And Double Prices fifth!  I wonder why Double Prices is fifth so rarely, anyway.  Certainly isn't shy about fourth and sixth.  All in all, one of the greatest pricing game lineups ever!  Heck, even if Most Expesive weren't for cars or even trips, it would've been.  Not that it hurt.

No particular contestant was notable, though most of them were pleasant and excited anyway.  And agreeing with heels, Adam could've been fun too.

I was surprised there was no grocery game today.  Not that I'm complaining here, but just surprised, since unlike the small prize games, Roger still likes to make sure a grocery game gets in every show.  I was certainly expecting Pick a Pair to show up sixth, anyway.

Anyone notice that the board game in the second showcase was Fortune Hunters ?

Britey wrote:  When was the last time that ME was the most expensive game on the show?

Probably never, including today's show.  Three Strikes beat Most Expensive by around $2000

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »
Elissa's 2199 in the fourth one-bid was the first STUPID BID of the season (on the first show of the season at that). Other than that, a splendid show.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline MichaelC

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 02:06:34 PM »
Woo-hoo! What an awesome way to kick off Season 35! What an unbelievable show!

PG#1 Lucky Seven—Oh, man. Don’t start the new season with that game! (I think this game is called Lucky 7 because only 7 lucky people will win it this year).

PG#2 Three Strikes for a Vette! Would have been a lot more suspenseful win if not spoiled on the Early Show last Thurs.

PG#3 Plinko! No surprise here, but at least the $10,000 slot was hit once.

IUFB #4 Four ladies in a hot tub! :-D

PG#4 Pushover for a five-digit prize! Woo-hoo!

PG#5 Double Prices—My least favorite game, but played for a boat and won, so woo-hoo!

PG#6 Most Expensive—for 3 cars!!! Woo-hoo! I was expecting 3 trips, but even better! And it was won: exciting because Triple Play wasn’t ever won last year.

SSD#2 $1,000 on the wheel! What a day!

Awesome showcases! Loved the last headline and the showcases featuring prizes from the first season. I was scared for a moment that it would be a DOB on the first show, but a DSW!!! And the biggest winner in daytime history! What a great day to play hooky from school to watch TPIR! 8-)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »
Here's the big DSW for those of you that missed it or want to see it again:

I just uploaded it, so it'll take a few minutes to process. It should be viewable shortly, though.