Author Topic: Topics that have been discussed dozens of times  (Read 7075 times)

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Topics that have been discussed dozens of times
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »
I think that a list of frequently discussed topics would do us just as much good as the rule that we have in place that addresses this issue:

11. Before starting a new thread or discussion, please make sure that your topic has not already been covered in the past. This forum has a powerful search feature.....use it! New members with a "burning question" are encouraged to use this feature before asking.

I beleive that the only workable solution to this issue (an issue faced on many message boards covering many topics) is to require moderator approval before a new topic is started.  I've always been against this, but I won't rule it out.  Your thoughts?

I hear you.  I agree there shouldn't need to be an approval to each new thread.    I'd ask, Do you really think that everyone both old and new is really going to do a search before starting a new topic?  CBSPromoman's last post is very valid.

As I read some of the posts and replies where new members have been involved, I feel some of us often have a very short fuse with our newer members.   The intention of my question was to see if there was something quick and simple that could help our newer members from getting themselves into trouble.  We wouldn't want anyone to drop an anvil on them   :)

I was merely suggesting perhaps a "notes to the newbie" type sticky.   Something that might (along with other things) list out some of the very frequently discussed topics to the point where it is a bit annoying when they creep up time and time again.   Not that this is against the rules, but by posting you "might" annoy some members.   There aren't too many such topics, maybe 10ish.

We have our rules and front office.   However, it may be nice to document some "pointers" for the new guy.    

I also think it would be nice to have a list/sticky that lists out some of our more respected members.  How is the new guy to know who has credibility and who doesn't?   If we created such a list, the "new guy" would be able to consider, hey when XXXXX makes a post, they probably know what they are talking about.  

Just my 2 cents

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »
How about using the Mark Your Mark section of the forum? That way, a new poster can introduce himself, as well as tell us his/her favorite (Or least favorite) pricing games.

Oh, so practically nobody reads the post.  Obviously "The Talk is Right" is the most visited section of the site, and I'm pretty sure as a new poster, he or she would want people to read and/or respond to the question or comment.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:12:42 AM by PIR85 »

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
I've never quite understood why some people are so enthusiastic about enforcing this sort of limit. Once a topic's been discussed once, it can *never* be brought up again? If a thread isn't interesting to you, is it really that hard not to read it? Assuming, of course, it's anything more substantial than a "me too."

And, as useful and informative as the FAQ is, it's nonetheless much to long to enforce as required reading before making a post. Perhaps it's just the name; stuff like what date the bid displays were painted pink hardly qualifies as "Frequently Asked," even if questions *of that type* would come up all the time if it weren't all written down.