Author Topic: Topics that have been discussed dozens of times  (Read 7076 times)

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
Topics that have been discussed dozens of times
« on: July 14, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
Just a thought...

Would it be worth putting a list together of topics that have been discussed into the ground time and time again over the years.   I would assume that our newer members don't go back and read evey single thread.   I know wouldn't.   

Seems like very frequently we get a thread like "what game would you retire?".   Even though that topic has probably has been talked about dozens of times.  Perhaps we could put together a list of topics that it probably isn't a good idea to start a new thread on again.

Not that it is would be off limits, but more of a, it may not be such a great idea to bring it up again and again and again.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Topics that have been discussed dozens of times
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »
That's one of the drawbacks of having a "don't reply to old threads" policy.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a "sticky" where such threads could be compiled and linked to, so that the discussion can be continued when desired.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »
I don't mind speaking up that "Which game would you retire?" threads are irritating to me, especially when it seems like the topic that simply won't go away.  Likewise for "Which retired game would you bring back?" or such classics as "If I ran the show" (which includes fictional game layouts).  And my personal favorite:  any thread that involves the phrase "It's just a TV show" or "Get a life."  (And let's not forget those who start their own threads that duplicate a topic already under discussion, or derail a topic to talk about something only vaguely related to the topic at the start of the thread)

Even more than that though is when some topic from years ago pops up at the top with ten pages of replies, only to discover that the last poster just said "Me too" or something equally pointless to a topic whose significance (hopefully) lies somewhere in those 10 pages.  But I guess that's more a Forum Rules situation more than anything else though :)
Bazinga!

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »
This is what Search is for.  If we stickyed every topic that has been discussed before, our new threads wouldn't even be on the first page anymore.  New members and veteran members alike can and should use Search before asking a 'burning question.'  And, for the love of Pete, if the topic is being discussed is already on page 1 of The Talk is Right, there simply is no excuse to open up a new thread of similar relevance.

Offline allnewtpir

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:00:11 PM »
I don't mind speaking up that "Which game would you retire?" threads are irritating to me, especially when it seems like the topic that simply won't go away.  Likewise for "Which retired game would you bring back?" or such classics as "If I ran the show" (which includes fictional game layouts).  And my personal favorite:  any thread that involves the phrase "It's just a TV show" or "Get a life."  (And let's not forget those who start their own threads that duplicate a topic already under discussion, or derail a topic to talk about something only vaguely related to the topic at the start of the thread)

Or how about those that start and/or degenerate into a million variations on "DREW SUCKS!!! WE WANT BOB!!!".

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:33:28 AM »
Seems like very frequently we get a thread like "what game would you retire?". 
Or a "Will TPiR come back to GSN" thread. :roll:

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:05:36 AM »
Otherwise, I'd suggest a "sticky" where such threads could be compiled and linked to, so that the discussion can be continued when desired.

This is sort of what I was thinking.  "Notes to the new member" sticky, or something like that.

Just a gentle reminder to read the FAQ, and about other little things that they may tend to do that might get a "not one of these threads again" reaction.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »
Perhaps we need a sticky merely statiing READ THE FAQ BEFORE POSTING!!!

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
No, they're not going to bring Roger back. Not tomorrow, not next week, next month or next year.

Just thought I'd get that out of the way.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »
The FAQ, printed out, would make a good-sized book.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
I honestly don't understand the real purpose of the 30-day rule.  We get enough attention that I would think we'd have new members joining on a daily basis.  If we refuse to let a new member comment on a topic they're interested in discussing if it happens to be older than 30 days, aren't we pretty much REQUIRING them to start a new thread on a similar topic?  And in that case, haven't we defeated the purpose of the time limit?
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Willman14

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
+1 to mr. promoman.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
From what I've seen of it when an old topic gets bumped, the 30-day thing actually makes sense.  We go through a topic, we discuss it until we reach a consensus--or run out of words, whichever comes first--and then we move on to other things.  But you all see how our discussions go sometimes, they get long...not that there's anything wrong with that of course!...but most of us have the benefit of having read each post "as it happened," and we were all involved whether as spectators or combatants participants so we know how the discussion evolved.

Then we move on.  Rinse, repeat, recycle; and the topic I just described gets older and older.  Eventually we forget all about it; then all of a sudden, this ancient topic gets bumped back to the front page again.  We of course open the topic to see the new reply, but it's a tossup about whether we remember the point of the topic or not.  And that's even assuming the poster is answering the post directly above--but what if the new poster is actually responding to some minor point midway through the thread?

(And I mince no words when I say that most of the time, the "new members" in question seem to post a reply of minimal relevance to the original topic--a recent topic bump with a comment about the Gameshow Marathon episode comes to mind)

Then there's the counterpoint of "What if the new member wants to add something legitamite to a topic they're interested in?"  There's no easy answer to that, other than to say "Search is your friend"--some of the posts by new(er) members tend to be duplicates of something that someone else has already said.  I know that's kind of like saying a line of dialogue in your favorite show sounds like something you saw on another show just last week, and that it's not a solid justificationm but it's just how I feel.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:31:18 PM by brtsimpson142 »
Bazinga!

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
Or how about those that start and/or degenerate into a million variations on "DREW SUCKS!!! WE WANT BOB!!!".

You do realize that you just turned this thread into one, right?
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:59:10 PM »
Perhaps we need a sticky merely stating READ THE FAQ BEFORE POSTING!!!

Great idea!

Than Marc and John could come up with five-ten what they consider overly redundant topics and people could consult that.  I would list it as  something like, "FAQ: Answers to Most Common Questions: (Read Before Posting.)  It would save board space and bandwidth!

Joe