Author Topic: New 1972 info!  (Read 54406 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
New 1972 info!
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »
I got an e-mail this afternoon about the first 19 episodes (or in a way, the first 20 episodes) of The New Price Is Right.  The person who sent it asked me not to identify him, but he's somebody you guys all know, and if you did know who it was, you'd trust him.  (And no, it's not Sally or Roger.)  All of this is going in the FAQ, but pretty much everything here is totally new to all of us, so I think it also merits a new thread.

Here we go!

First, the big shocker.  We now know why the third episode's production number is #0013D(R):  it isn't the original third episode.  After episode #0013D was taped, the staff discovered that they'd called an ineligible contestant on it.  It was never aired, and episode #0013D(R) was created to replace it.  The two episodes apparently aren't very similar -- the original episode's pricing games are Any Number, Bonus Game, and Double Prices, and all of its prizes are different.

Incidentally, although I can't say anything about this for certain, CBS apparently has paperwork for all of the contestants on episode #0013D, so our friend thinks that the eligible ones probably received their prizes.

We've always known that the first week's episodes were taped out of order; in fact, we now know that that order was 1, original 3, 4, 2, 5, and then replacement 3 as the second taping of the second week (the first taping was episode 7).  What we didn't know was that they were also aired in a different wrong order -- 1, 5, 2, 4, 3.

The first four contestants who played Grocery Game received supplies of all five products in the game.  The amounts awarded varied, but they always totalled at least $100, and they counted toward the contestant's winnings.

Clock Game debuted on September 11, on the sixth episode.  There's already a thread about that, but I'm saying it again here for the sake of completion.  I'd also like to credit OldPrice75 for noticing that on the game's earliest playings, it appears that only the top half of the Clock Game board existed and that it was somehow attached to the front of Bullseye.

The 2-player version of Bullseye, which I had previously stated was named "2-Player Bullseye", is now definitively confirmed to be named Double Bullseye.  It debuted on September 19, on the 12th episode.  I can also confirm that the playing of Double Bullseye that reran on GSN was not its debut; the first playing offered a $2,494 Chevy Vega and ended after six guesses.  (Our friend also pointed out to me the irony of the game that was created to replace the impossible-to-win Bullseye ending in less guesses than the maximum number Bullseye had allowed.)

As an aside, I love the name "Double Bullseye."  It kicks the butts of all of the game's unofficial names.

Finally, Five Price Tags debuted one week after Double Bullseye -- the 17th episode, on September 26.

That's all I've got for now.  Be sure to keep an eye on this thread -- there's a very good chance we'll be getting more information about 1972 over the next several days!

And to...well, you know who you are:  Thank you.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: New 1972 info!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:42:49 PM »
*jaw drops*

To whoever gave Steve this info:  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!  This is awesome, and I can't wait to read more!  And I do agree with Steve...Double Bullseye is a way better name than the others we've seen.  Steve, thanks to you as well for posting this.

Offline WhammyPower788

• I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:50:15 PM »
Wow.  Very interesting.  "Double Bullseye"
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline sullim4

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:23:57 PM »
Wooooo!  The source is back!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »
Ok...my reply about the info.

Seeing #0013D(R) as the Wednesday slate number, it does make sense as a replacement show, with the (R).  More importantly, what was the disqualification?

There is probably no logic behind this, but could someone please post the daily line-ups for the shows?  I think I have some logic behind the line-ups and the show's taping schedule, and I'm too lazy to go searching.

Do they know how the grocery bonus was acheived?

Double Bullseye.  I LOVE IT! (Can we get a name recycle on this one, a la "Balance Game"?)

And with the way I'm reading it, it seems Any Number was played sooooo many times in the first month or two, with only one other car game in the rotation.

I'm loving the info!  Now if we could just figure out 1978 like this...
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Online supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 09:55:45 PM »
Oh wow. Guess I've got a bit of info to change on my site. Thanks to everyone responsible for this information!

Double Bullseye...zillions of time better than "2-Player Bullseye I".

Offline Hades1981

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 10:38:09 PM »
Very impressive Steve, thanks for the info! I was wondering how quickly other games were added to the "first five" in order to keep the show fresh, and now I know.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 11:02:04 PM »
sullim4 wrote:

Wooooo!  The source is back!

No.  HELL no.  "The Source" was a nutball.  At this point, I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him.  (Although he is the only person I've ever encountered who actually remembered the real rules of Telephone Game.  Go figure.)  He just wanted attention; he was never our friend, and half of his information was wrong.

The person who's giving us info now is someone we've known for years; he simply doesn't want to become a spectacle, and I certainly don't want to attach the tarnished mantle of "The Source" to him.

tpirfan28 wrote:

More importantly, what was the disqualification?

We don't know.

tpirfan28 wrote:

There is probably no logic behind this, but could someone please post the daily line-ups for the shows?

I asked the same thing earlier today.  He can't give them to me right now because he's rushing to get through the records that have become available to him, but we will have them eventually.

tpirfan28 wrote:

Do they know how the grocery bonus was acheived?

It was awarded regardless of the game's outcome.[/font][/size]

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 11:54:52 PM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:
tpirfan28 wrote:

There is probably no logic behind this, but could someone please post the daily line-ups for the shows?

I asked the same thing earlier today.  He can't give them to me right now because he's rushing to get through the records that have become available to him, but we will have them eventually.

WHOOPS! My bad.  I wanted the first five shows line-ups.  My apologies if my question was vague.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 11:56:38 PM »
So this would also mean that the first instance of the "over horn" occurred in episode 6?  I don't remember it being used even for the showcase overbid in week 1.  I think this is important to know from a sound standpoint.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 12:12:11 AM »
I always thought that the normal "BUZZ!" was used for the first Showcase Overbid; I may be wrong on that one!
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 12:19:33 AM »
Bully, that's what I remember hearing as well, but I know from watching the Clock Game premiere that the over horn was used there as we're used to.  Since that was the 6th ep, I'm wondering if we can now officially declare that it wasn't used until then.  Your favorite losing horns were present on the first Bullseye loss -- I know that for sure.  I just find that interesting about the over horn not being around the first week.  Some Loyal Friends and True may not even know that.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 12:57:56 AM »
We do not know for sure that the first Clock Game episode rerun on GSN was the game's debut.

tpirfan28 wrote:

SteveGavazzi wrote:

tpirfan28 wrote:

WHOOPS! My bad.  I wanted the first five shows line-ups.  My apologies if my question was vague.

Oh!  That's simple.  #0011D, #0013D, and #0014D are Any/Bonus/Double; #0012D, #0013D(R), and #0015D are Grocery/Bullseye/Double.[/font][/size]

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 01:39:13 AM »
Wow. You guys are just plain amazing. Thank you, Steve, and thank you to "The REAL Source" for all your hard work!

I would've never guessed that Five Price Tags went that far back...

And Double Bullseye? A big improvement over all the names we gave it over the years (some of which I can't repeat here) :lol:

Thanks again for your time and efforts, AND for sharing all of this with us everytime you uncover some new tidbit on TPIR's history! :)
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 01:50:58 AM »
Garvin8r wrote:

Your favorite losing horns were present on the first Bullseye loss -- I know that for sure.

"My favorite losing horns", huh?  That's my favorite part of TPiR!  (Dum-dum-da-dum.....awwwwwwwwwwww!) :lol:

Seriously though, I checked Jason's recaps and I still can't find the first episode to use the "OVER" Horn!
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.