Author Topic: Bob Barker to WWE?...No, seriously.  (Read 52341 times)

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
Re: Bob Barker to WWE?...No, seriously.
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2009, 02:05:27 PM »
Here's some video (about 30 seconds of Bob's "surprise" punch and karate chop) for those who didn't get to see the show last night, courtesy of AOL:

http://television.aol.com/tvtop5/the-price-is-fight-wwe-monday-night-raw/37800323001?icid=webmail
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:07:45 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline cornelius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »
One word sums up last night's RAW... AWESOME!!! Bob Barker, you are STILL the man!!! :D :-D :-)
Remember. Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutured!

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
Remember, the graphics/numbers used for RAW were on screen graphics... The podiums themselves didn't display anything... You can see this on cutaway shots  certain shots and more obviously after the win in which the camera was shaking and the bids remained stationary and everything else was in motion
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »
It's only 60 seconds or so, but the "After the Bell" interview with Bob is worth a watch on wwe.com.

He talks about his decision to do the show and his experience.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »
I posted all of his segments in the Video section.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
I think we all miss Bob doing Price.

And by the way whether Lawler knows the show or not.  WRESTLING IS SCRIPTED!  I am 100% positive it was either written for him or like someone else said, he researched TPIR stuff.

The one good line of the night was - "I've got two words for you, spin it!"  That was some decent writing.

+100.

Just in case anyone actually believes wrestling is real in any way shape or form.  (Yes I get that they actually hit each other, and it hurts.  Not the point, click the link.)

Not to say it wasn't well done, it was.   A bit cheesy, but good to know that Bob isn't quite as pretentious as it seems sometimes...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:58:20 PM by Season36Fan »
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
Just in case anyone actually believes wrestling is real in any way shape or form.  (Yes I get that they actually hit each other, and it hurts.  Not the point, click the link.)

You do realize you contradict yourself, right? Making it out that it's fake in every single way and then admiting that the hitting and the pain is real...

Everyone under the sun knows the outcomes is pre determined (I would hope). They work out things there going to do during the match before the match and they talk things out during the match. They work with each other. Other then that, which is the physicality of it all, is very much real, whcih you admited... So why put it that it's not the point? Ignore the real aspects just to look down upon what you don't enjoy?

(Fixed quoting.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:50:25 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2009, 09:02:29 PM »
You do realize you contradict yourself, right? Making it out that it's fake in every single way and then admiting that the hitting and the pain is real...

Everyone under the sun knows the outcomes is pre determined (I would hope). They work out things there going to do during the match before the match and they talk things out during the match. They work with each other. Other then that, which is the physicality of it all, is very much real, whcih you admited... So why put it that it's not the point? Ignore the real aspects just to look down upon what you don't enjoy?

Not exactly.    As you stated,  the whole match is fabricated.    Other than a miscalculation, the pain to the wrestlers is minimal.  What I said was that the hits are "real" in the sense that they do make body contact, vs. only acting like they're doing so, and that certain things are going to hurt, that doesn't make them any less fabricated.     Compare the type of hit in Wrestling to pro sports, where taking a hit from a fastball, a football helmet in the gut, or a hockey puck in the leg is anticipated at some point but unexpected when it happens.   One is designed to look real, one is real.   Both may hurt, but one only hurts badly if something goes wrong.   

And, I do have (adult) friends who actually think that Kayfabe is the myth and that the storylines are real.  Heck, I did when I was first introduced to wrestling.    I don't watch it any more (the clips of last night's RAW on YouTube were the only extent of WWE I have watched for years and all that I care to for the foreseeable future), because I realized how ridiculous it all really is.    I don't like any of it.  Fake or not.
Wise words.

Offline brian1975

• Double Showcase Winner
  • hi there
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
i did not know it was painted on, it looks bad either way. :biggrin:
all of this can be yours, if you can afford it.

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »
Not exactly.    As you stated,  the whole match is fabricated.    Other than a miscalculation, the pain to the wrestlers is minimal.  What I said was that the hits are "real" in the sense that they do make body contact, vs. only acting like they're doing so, and that certain things are going to hurt, that doesn't make them any less fabricated.     Compare the type of hit in Wrestling to pro sports, where taking a hit from a fastball, a football helmet in the gut, or a hockey puck in the leg is anticipated at some point but unexpected when it happens.   One is designed to look real, one is real.   Both may hurt, but one only hurts badly if something goes wrong.   

And, I do have (adult) friends who actually think that Kayfabe is the myth and that the storylines are real.  Heck, I did when I was first introduced to wrestling.    I don't watch it any more (the clips of last night's RAW on YouTube were the only extent of WWE I have watched for years and all that I care to for the foreseeable future), because I realized how ridiculous it all really is.    I don't like any of it.  Fake or not.

It just iritates me when people use the word fake with wrestling. They put there lives on the line in every match. Granted, like you said, unless something goes wrong, more times then not, they will go to the back, a bit tired, but able to lace up there shoes, go to dinner afterwards and wake up the next morning with no problems.

I have a couple friends that actually are in pro wrestling. To me, unless you have either truely gone through what they go throuh or know someone that has, it's just being ignorent making comments that what they do is "fake". I know you put the word close to the end and I'm not pointing directly at you when I say that, but just in general.

I miss the days where I believed that the storylines were real. The thing is though, I don't let knowing that they aren't real ruin the fun. To me it's like going to the theater with just a lot more physical action and a lot more yelling lol.

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »
It just iritates me when people use the word fake with wrestling. They put there lives on the line in every match.

Two words: Owen Hart

WWE my be scripted. WWE may be predetermined, but CSI, Law and Order, and all those are scripted as well. What makes THEM any different than what happens in WWE?
I support The Price is Right.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »
Being a life-long WWE wrestling fan, Monday's "WWE Raw" with Bob Barker was a very enjoyable show. The segments involving Barker putting various wrestlers — specifically, Chris Jericho and Chavo Guererro — in their places were the best segments of the night. The skits involved were definitely TPiR-centric and appropriate.

The only disappointment was not using the "losing horns" after the Jericho and Chavo matches (because they "lost" their prizes, which were a trip to Hawaii and a new Chevrolet Corvette, respectively). Other than that, an A-plus show.

Brian

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »
Bob definitely still has it after last night!  He was especially great in the beginning with the DVD one-bid.  That kind of geniune and natural raport with contestants is one of the things I miss the most about him not being on Price anymore.  I still can't believe I actually watched an entire wresting event though  :-D

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2009, 12:09:38 AM »

It just iritates me when people use the word fake with wrestling. They put there lives on the line in every match. Granted, like you said, unless something goes wrong, more times then not, they will go to the back, a bit tired, but able to lace up there shoes, go to dinner afterwards and wake up the next morning with no problems.

I have a couple friends that actually are in pro wrestling. To me, unless you have either truely gone through what they go throuh or know someone that has, it's just being ignorent making comments that what they do is "fake". I know you put the word close to the end and I'm not pointing directly at you when I say that, but just in general.

I miss the days where I believed that the storylines were real. The thing is though, I don't let knowing that they aren't real ruin the fun. To me it's like going to the theater with just a lot more physical action and a lot more yelling lol.

Please take no offense at this, and try to understand an outsider's perspective.  A fake, by definition, is "anything made to appear otherwise than it actually is; counterfeit".    By definition, WWE style wrestling is a "fake" of the original martial art which is in fact as much performance art and acting as it is athletics.   Saying it is so does not demean the talents, skills, or abilities of those who participate, nor is it ignorant, in fact to do so is merely being well-informed and realistic.   If you enjoy the type of entertainment WWE offers, then do so;  it is, however, important to be firmly founded in reality while so doing.   

Your comparison to the theatre is quite apt.  I liken their "putting their lives on the line" to stunt actors.  Very few people go to work every day with the belief they are going to die.   I imagine, in fact, that most people try quite diligently not to do so.  We all determine our own risk levels, and work within them, but the level of risk is subjective to each person.   While I would never allow myself to be in such a position, a stunt actor who walks through fire daily is confident in his abilities not to be burned.   The same applies to WWE wrestlers, they're confident in their abilities, just as I am in my abilities not to electrocute myself (I work in electronics, with hands-in fixes this is a real danger).   It's all the same - we are all comfortable with our levels of risk.   
Wise words.

Offline wvoutlaw2002

• In Contestant's Row
    • XXCE Linux
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »

Tell that to Darrin Drozdov, who 10 years later is still in a wheelchair because D'Lo Brown botched a powerbomb.