Author Topic: Official site for TPIR on game show marathon?  (Read 13708 times)

• Walking the Golden Road
Official site for TPIR on game show marathon?
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:01:42 PM »
Cbs.com doesn't have anything about Game Show Marathon as of yet, are there any official sites for the TPIR portion or any portion of the upcoming special?

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Official site for TPIR on game show marathon?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:21 AM »
CBS started plugging the Marathon last night on Survivor. Expect the GSM Page(s) to pop up on cbs.com sometime this week.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 07:50:11 PM »
I still don't get what this thing is.  The ad went by so quickly I didn't catch everything.  Could someone fill me in please?

Offline Blissey

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:40:49 PM »
Game Show Marathon is a collection of re-created classic game shows, such as Card Sharks, Match Game '7x, Press Your Luck and TPIR, played by celebrities for charity. It is similar to a program for British network ITV's 50th anniversary.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:17:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline lucyrickyalex

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:24:04 PM »

OldPrice75 wrote:
I still don't get what this thing is.  The ad went by so quickly I didn't catch everything.  Could someone fill me in please?

Here is a link to the preview.
"But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
-Conan O'Brien

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »
...Or click here to see it.

I saw this the night it ran during Survivor and, as much as they tried to keep the sets familiar, I still can't fathom why they chose the host they did.  My question is this: will Ricki Lake bring in the ratings CBS hopes to get out of this series?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:05:19 PM »
Bob's not going to host TPiR?  :-o

Offline dustind

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 08:09:39 PM »
I'm already imagining people being confused by having Price in the Game Show Marathon schedule: they could come to the Price
tapings after the TPiR part airs, and asking 'where's Ricki Lake?'.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 08:27:22 PM »
The reason for this is simply because of continuity. If you had seven different game show hosts hosting this series, it wouldn't flow very well and it would basically seem like 7 different shows. One host+ different games=One show. It's how the UK version did it.

The interesting part though is that the UK version's shows had NONE of them actually on the airwaves when they did the marathon. This one will, of course.

I guess the rumor is that effectively each of the shows (Match game, LMAD, Beat The Clock, PYL, and Card Sharks- Feud doesn't count because of the upcoming revamp) may serve as a pilot...if they do well, they may return like they did in Britain- because both Bullseye and Family Fortunes are returning.
Oh yeah, and TPIR too. :-)

As for Ricki- every review thus far has said she does a surprisingly good job. We'll just have to wait and see!

Offline logikreader

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 02:17:04 AM »
Speaking as someone who attended a few of these, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 03:12:01 AM »
Speaking as someone who attended a few of these, I don't think you will be disappointed!

I do not want a spoiler. I just have a few questions.

1. Which games did you attend?
2. How did Ricki do as a host?
3. How close were the games to their originals? (In the case of The Price is Right, I think we ALL know that answer.)
I support The Price is Right.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 09:10:07 AM »

logikreader wrote:

Do you know in what studio these were taped - 36 or 46?
Were there more people there than were seats for them?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline logikreader

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 12:49:43 PM »
I'll answer these questions one by one.

I attended Beat the Clock, Press Your Luck, and Family Feud.  The sets were AMAZINGLY authentic.  There were of course a few very small changes made to each set, to accommodate new technology.  They were even to scale with the originals.  I won't say which of the three was most impressive; that'd be a spoiler.

Ricki was everything you wanted in a host.  Nice, very friendly, generally acommodating.  Man she had some rapport w/ that audience.  I didn't even know who she was.  People were going "We love you Ricki!"

These shows were taped in 46, the studio *next* to American Idol.  Rich Fields actually did warmup for our audience and he noted that AI was in the studio next door.

The final question is hard to answer.  There weren't a lot of actual ticket holders at these events.  It's such a new thing, and really so few of us even know about it.  "Seat Filler" groups accounted for most of our audience at each show.

I will say that as each taping went on, word of mouth apparently spread!  The first taping I went to had maybe a dozen or so ticket holders, but by the time I witnessed the last taping of the series, there were in excess of 100 people  waiting in line for an hour!

and do bear in mind, 36 and 46 are HUGE studios!  We're talking stadium seating here folks.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:40:53 PM »

logikreader wrote:
The sets were AMAZINGLY authentic.  There were of course a few very small changes made to each set, to accommodate new technology.  They were even to scale with the originals.

There was one set part that I noticed was smaller than the original, based on pictures of the host standing next to the original set part compared to how the re-creation measured up to me when I stood next to it. I don't want that to be interpreted as a complaint -- the sets were everything I hoped they'd be -- but in a couple of cases, they had to shrink things a tad in order to fit it all in.

Is 33 wider than 46? Price felt a little more cramped in person, but I don't know if that was because of all the floor space the bleachers took up.

It looks like the TV listing services will be telling us which show will be played on which night. If they also keep listing the celebrities for each night, then you all might want to be careful for spoilers. Actually, watching the commercial in slow-mo is also a large source of spoilers.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.