Author Topic: CSS Results for October 22  (Read 2455 times)

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
CSS Results for October 22
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:11:01 PM »
There is no reason that I should have won today, with a pair of marginal bids at best, but what we say about he who garfs least garfs best is true, I suppose.

First showcase (which I won? How?) had the $$$ wine vault in it. I want to say it's about $19K; the bar can't have been cheap, and all the accessories were probably a few thousand dollars. Trip to France? I was going more for the overall feeling of the package, and by Jove it worked. Go me?

Second showcase had two DSWs! Unfortunately, neither count. pathfinder20 and SenorBeef both had DSWs under the old rules ($100 or less) but both went over on the first showcase by a couple thousand. Painful. The best surviving bid belongs to CrossTraffic.

Army said he was going nuts today. I believe it. But people bidding well under $20K on the same showcase? Also nuts. Remember, this wine cooler is the size of a room!

CHATROOM SHOWCASE SHOWOFF
Results for October 22, 2009 -- Game 23

[attachment deleted by admin]
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
Re: CSS Results for October 22
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »
Well, at least I did better than my last two playings!  :-D
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Macsen

• Retro Recap Guide
  • The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »
Wow, 4th place. Better than my other relative performances this week.

Either Pathy or Army warned us before the reveal about the wine vault, but both of them ended up going over on it. :oldlol:

As they say, 'tis better to :gotc: than to go over. Still, with the wine vault allegedly being more than the entire SC2, that makes it a...

On the wine showcase: I pegged the wine vault at 8k. If I had gone to 20k, my showcase would've been right at $35k, which would've kicked everyone's butts. :P But, in the immortal words of the original Jim Mora, "woulda coulda shoulda..."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:50:16 PM by Kitch »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
$40,400/$18,200... obviously, I don't think that Armadillo was going nuts at all. I can't believe that only a few people broke $40K on their bids for that showcase. I'm guessing that the trip is cheaper than I thought it was... that's the only thing that makes sense. I sure hope Kristin goes over on the other showcase, because she's going to garf the mess out of that wine room.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:51:34 PM by heelsrule1988 »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »
Quote from: BuddyTom
There is no reason that I should have won today, with a pair of marginal bids at best, but what we say about he who garfs least garfs best is true, I suppose.

Or in today's case, second least :P.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• Loyal Friend and True
  • -This space for rent-
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »
Eh, I was on a phone call during CSS (which, I believe, was also the cause of my last overbid), so I wasn't paying too close attention...just saw the Wine Room of Doom and went OOHSHINYMUSTBID$$$$.

I have a goal this year of finishing with more wins than overbids...entirely unrealistic, I know, but with the huge prices on these random Showcases, I figured I'll have a go at it.  Today's performance puts me at 3-3, I believe, so it's still within the realm of possibility.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »
Wow, 2nd place with 80 points?!?! Yeesh. I knew I beat more people than usual, but my near-GOTC is the second best difference that counts on 1?!?! But I'll take it after my overbid yesterday.

Had no idea on SC1, so I kinda just went in the middle of the wide range I thought it could be.

And because of my painful epic failure yesterday, I wasn't gonna go over 20K on SC2. Guess that wasn't a bad thing either.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:25:07 PM »
Wine vault is either $19K or $17K, but still: $$$$$$$$.  Tag France for $10K, and you're at $30K easily.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
Wow, what a day for me to sleep through CSS.

Also, weren't the old DSW rules less than $100 away, not $100 or less away?

Offline pathfinder20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »
I should have slashed sc 1 by 2K. Unfortunately, I overpriced something...  Anyway, I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 04:19:46 PM »
You know, instead of having a root beer (or a regular beer) to recover from my over today, I think I'll just have a nice glass of WINE instead...

*facepalm*

The wine vault is $19,000 and the bar set is in the $2,500 range. Bordeaux was $20k last season. I knew this was a cheaper version but..... seriously? Just ugh. *chugs wine*

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »
Wine vault is either $19K or $17K, but still: $$$$$$$$.  Tag France for $10K, and you're at $30K easily.
Sam's Club wants $19,800.  So Bordeaux was uber-cheapo.  That Showcase could have busted $50,000 if it really tried...
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
I think that may have been a slightly smaller wine vault (Sam's Club price also includes shipping, which you'd better believe is megabucks on something that big). I put it at $17K and went a bit easy since I've been overbidding like crazy lately. As far as the other showcase, I had it at $15K until the $3K showed up. That much cash is often a signal for an otherwise cheap showcase, so I only added $2K thinking that perhaps I'd overpriced something else. I would have been closer had I not shaved, but I'm not complaining about that.

Still, a score in the low 80s winning? Are we losing our collective edge? ;)
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 06:49:27 PM »
Still, a score in the low 80s winning? Are we losing our collective edge? ;)

It's probably just getting tougher to price all the trips and other excessively pricey items in the showcases.  :-?

I can only imagine what damage I could've done to my score if I played today.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
$33,507 / $20,107

You guys should be damn lucky that we had an office-wide network crash for most of the day today.  I had both of these bad boys in the bag.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16