Author Topic: How come the nighttime episodes aren't million dollar spectacular anymore?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: How come the nighttime episodes aren't million dollar spectacular anymore?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2023, 06:47:19 PM »
Several of us now have explained to you in varying ways why we believe your hypothesis is wrong.  You've made it abundantly clear you don't agree with us and are just spinning words now to try to convince us that you are correct and all of the rest of us are wrong.  Somehow, I don't think that tactic is going to convince anyone.

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2023, 06:51:27 PM »
Several of us now have explained to you in varying ways why we believe your hypothesis is wrong.  You've made it abundantly clear you don't agree with us and are just spinning words now to try to convince us that you are correct and all of the rest of us are wrong.  Somehow, I don't think that tactic is going to convince anyone.

You are all free to disagree with me. It would be hypocritical of all of you if I wasn't afforded the same opportunity to offer counterpoints to your points. I did not say anything offensive or call anyone names or was a jerk to anyone. This is a discussion board with various opinions and views are allowed.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2023, 07:11:17 PM »
Which leads to the point that a fun gameshow like this that gets a million dollar prize to give away and proper promotion (I don't believe the advertising for the daytime edition promised a million) could give this strong ratings than what tpir at night is pulling in

That's factually incorrect.

At least you accept that we're allowed to disagree with you. However, you never addressed any of my points; you instead created another hypothetical scenario with no real-life basis. By the virtue of the show giving away cars, what you proposed is impossible.

Would ratings be lower if they actually did that? Yes. That's not the practical baseline though; that baseline is the daytime show. There are diminishing returns to offering "cheaper" prizes on the show. The daytime show still has two cash games that offer only $10,000, because the show believes that is a good enough amount for people to be excited. Looking at the landscape of daytime game shows, from 25 Words or Less to runners up on Wheel of Fortune, I'd say that's an accurate assessment. They raised the prize of those games to $25,000 and $30,000 in this batch of primetime shows. There is some level of excitement for elevated stakes, but the show knows that after a certain point, it won't lead to significant viewership. After a certain level, it doesn't matter, which is why Tris made the claim

Even if they stuck to what the normal daytime show did with one or two nicer cars (like they've done before), I think the audience would still be into the show. The Price is Right is an institution people love and we've experience a game show boom.

I agree with that. From experience and the spinny star under my username, it's awesome just to be called on down. As long as it feels like The Price is Right, people will watch, and I haven't heard any outcry from the general public about bringing back the MDSes except from hardcore Price fans, who probably are watching the At Night specials as well.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2023, 07:14:21 PM »
You are all free to disagree with me. It would be hypocritical of all of you if I wasn't afforded the same opportunity to offer counterpoints to your points. I did not say anything offensive or call anyone names or was a jerk to anyone. This is a discussion board with various opinions and views are allowed.

Counterpoint:  You're being oblivious on purpose, and I'm locking the thread.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.