Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2009 (Ceremonial PRICE 7000*)  (Read 64487 times)

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2009 (Ceremonial PRICE 7000*)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 05:08:54 PM »
Most Expensive:  Nice trips, but I can think of better games that could've been played first on a special show like this, i.e., Golden Road.
Grand Game:  Nice win! :-)
Lucky Seven:  I liked how they used stacks of 20s instead of the usual 7 $1 bills.  They should do this more often.
Any Number:  Rats! :-(
Bonus Game:  Heartbreaking loss :cry:, but, IMHO, I think that was the best that Drew's ever hosted this game.
Most Expensive:  Good job! :-)  Could've done without the TV behind the watch, though.
SCSD#2:  About Evie staying on 30 cents:  WHAT!? 8-O ???

That was neat how they played the first 3 games ever played in order in the second half & how the showcases were based on the first 2 showcases ever.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »
This show betrayed my expectations, and Greco was still too hard on setups.

Also, there should be no celebrity contestants.

That is all.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:20:38 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
This episode wasn't bad, but it definitely could have been better. More festive decorations would have been appreciated. I agree Steve, they blew it out of the water for Halloween but not a landmark moment in the show's history.... Odd? I didn't even realize they had the displays between the doors until after Most Expensive started.

The second half of the lineup was better than the first, but I did like the idea of giving $7,000 instead of $7 in Lucky Seven.

I would have done the lineup this way: Golden/Grand/Most Expensive/Any#/Bonus/Double. I think it would have flowed better. Also, it would have given away a larger prize in Golden Road making most of us happy for wanting bigger, more expensive prizes for the 7,000th show.

I don't like the idea of having a car game 3rd and then 4th. I know it mattered for today, but I hope it doesn't continue.

Steve, I don't think Bonus Game coming around the turntable before the prize is offered is going away. I think Evie kinda blew the shot, by staying in contestants row dancing around. I know it wasn't shown even after Drew came up, but maybe DiPirro just didn't do it for whatever reason.

Those trips for Most Expensive were really high. I thought Africa was the most expensive, but not that high.

I did enjoy the showcases, especially trying to modernize the prizes offered 38 years ago. The classic music cues were a nice treat. I'm glad Stan dusted the cobwebs off them and used them.

I love DiPirro's directing. However, one thing I wish he would bring back would be showing the giant price tag as Drew walks up to it. I also wish he would show Range Game as Drew and the contestant walk up to it like in the past. He does so well reverting back to classic shots, I'm hoping these two might return. Then again, I would like the freeze frame shots of the contestants as they go to break, but that's probably a timing issue. I don't know if DiPirro's in charge of that decision or not.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:21:56 PM by 3StrikesFan »

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »
Most Expensive: Why they shouldn’t have gotten rid of the trip skins.

Grand Game: I thought it was the detergent. Fantastic win!  :biggrin:

Lucky Seven: $7,000 was a cool idea. Go figure they were going for a loss.

The second half game selection was very appropriate.  :biggrin:

Any Number: She made such a good comeback, only to lose to the piggy bank.

Bonus Game: Drew hosted this perfectly. Tragic loss, due to the evil warming tray.

Double Prices: That image on the plasma made me a bit dizzy. Other than that, fantastic win by Justine to close out the show.

SCSD #2: Really, staying on 30¢?  8-O

Showcases: Purely awesome showcases!  :-D

O.K. show today. It could have been better, but it could have been much worse. Those showcases made up for it big time. It would have been awesome if they closed with the Goodson/Todman logo, and credits immediately scrolling up, like they did up to season 28. (That would be asking for too much).

This show betrayed my expectations, and Greco was still too hard on setups.

After the way they did the season premiere, I had no expectations for this show myself, which is really sad.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »
10d Kenyan Photo Safari ()  
Tour of India (via Delhi)(6n)(
Trip to Cairns, AUS (6n)

Today's playing of Most Expensive, as most I remember, have something in common.  The letters A and I
Africa
India
Australia

Double Prices: I picked the right price.  It was 1 prize and the right price is an odd number.  Last playing of Double Prices before today I picked the right price - an even number for a pair of motorbikes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:46:34 PM by SteveEllis »
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
A&I? THAT is significant? Scraping the barrel, perhaps.

Meanwhile...

Also, there should be no celebrity contestants.

Agreed, but Justine is not a celebrity per se. She's just an average "Jane" built up quite the following since that Bill in a Box thing. She's also doing commercials for an online backup site.

Heck, I watched SVU with her last night (she was on USTREAM).

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:05:39 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »
She's also doing commercials for an online backup site.
...she's the gal in the Mozy backup ads?  And agreed...she's not a celebrity.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
Heck, I watched SVU with her last night (she was on USTREAM).

L & O: SVU, huh? Good thing she only worked for NBC. Had SVU been a CBS show, she'd be SOL as a contestant :P
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline RickZ317

• In the Audience
    • WTBU Radio
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 07:17:08 PM »
Lucky $even Thousand wasn't a bad idea for a one-time deal...although it would have been nice if Drew hadn't explained the rules incorrectly.

Agreed. Drew has been getting much better, but it's still really annoying when he makes such simple errors.

Overall, I thought this was show was a B/B-. Some of the prizes were nice and the showcases were cool, but the show still seemed a bit disjointed. $38,000 in trips for Most Expensive and a $7,000 watch for Double Prices? Seems like certain parts of the episode got more attention than others...

Rick

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »
Whoever decided it would be a good idea to play Double Prices for a watch should be fired immediately.  I mean, I understand it's a Rolex, and I understand it cost almost $7,000, but that still doesn't change the fact that the only prize in the game WAS A WATCH!  It felt cheap, and it looked extremely awkward...and the plasma screen behind it displaying random crap didn't help matters.

Bigger is Better...hmmm I remember hearing that from someone before...Wonder who that could be?

First of all, is anyone bothered by the fact that they put more effort into decorating for Halloween than they did making things look special for what they thought was their 7,000th show?  I mean, there was hardly anything extra on the stage, and they didn't even alter the opening speil.

The holiday shows are nice.   In fact, I now look forward to them.    However, I agree 100%, Drew said 7000th show/episode like two dozen times.  Where was the extra energy for this show.   Is it sad that I think this years Halloween show was better than the 7000th show??

Lucky 7000 ---  I'm probably in the minority here, but I really didn't like this at all.    How can you change the rules for just 1 show?   If the next L7 player has $3 left at the end, should they be given $3000 now...   Just saying.   Million$ show, I'd be OK with, but not a typical daytime show.

I guess I just expected more from today's show.    I guess, I had the same letdown for show 6000th.   Perhaps my expectations are just too high after show 5000, because that show was terrific.

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 07:33:06 PM »
Really, guys, something historic like the 7,000th-with-an-asterisk episode should be done correctly.  Golden Road should've led off the show.  But then again, playing Most Expensive for $40,000 worth of trips is not too shabby.  And could somebody explain to me how Australia was only $8,000?  Australia is supposed to be $13,000!  That was the rule, dammit!

I can't believe they still make Mallo Cups.

Yeah, now this is how they should do Lucky Seven for the rest of the season--7 stacks of $1,000!  That's ten times better than the Lucky Seven in my PA games.

I got so excited that Bonus Game would be the 5th PG... and what happened?  No turntable action!  That made me mad.  That warming tray made me even madder.

Yay!  Double Prices at the GPT! :P

Yay!  Classic showcase cue! :P

My showcase bids:
Acapulco--$24,107
Car--$37,807
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
I think I remember how to do this, here goes:

ME: $38,000+ in cars is great. In trips looks like three showcase trips that weren't won.
GG: A fine job. I also ate it on floor care.
L7: Again, only offer the $6,000 if you present the opportunity to award it.

4thIUFB on: While both classic showcase cues made their appearances, it would have been really nice to see more than just those two, STAN!

A#: Bad time for a second two to be forgotten. Hey, a soapbox...
BG: Evie, you screwed up the reveal. That is a sin in my world bigger than standing on thirty cents (how'd THAT work out?). Ya know, this set up was, dare I say, Dobesque. Give 'em three in a row to build momentum. Reward the contestant who watches the show and knows the fourth prize (w/bonus attached and priced at $180). If they don't go with their gut; hey, sorry about your damn luck. Yes, I rooted for the loss because I didn't get a classic reveal. If they would have showed either A# or BG, we all would have been squirrely.
DP: Gold star for the Giant Price Tag reveal. We will leave it at that.

Showcases were classy and well thought out. Heart was in the right place. Wow factor of the prizes showed their heads were somewhere else.

Hey, who wants cake?

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
The first cue to start off the first showcase hasn't been heard since season 35, and the only time that the second classic showcase cue got used in season 36 was for the CBS Television City showcase featuring Phire as a security guard.

I was bummed out by this episode. It didn't feel special at all. There was no attempt to even make it feel like that...it's almost like no one cares anymore. At least Stan was able to dig up the classic showcase cues. It's amazing how those two cues blew the other cues used in the first showcase out of the water.

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
Okay, Any Number or Bonus Game rolling back as the show goes to commercial. Oops!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »
Well that's good on Justine then. It initially got me a bit upset when Drew was talking about 100k's of followers.

Anyways...I dunno. I thought Golden Road was a lock, even if it was really hard. A Mazda Miata isn't even close to exciting. ME for 3 trips isn't exciting even if they're all exotic. Why replicate half a lineup and the exact SCs from the first show anyways? That feels like a lack of creativity...and Lucky 7000 wasn't really that cool to be honest, given it's a miracle someone has extra dollars.

Also, A# was one of Greco's best yet - that 801 cookware (WTF price) made it possible too.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...