Author Topic: Rich Fields "Gone Wild"  (Read 25264 times)

Offline JLPrice

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Rich Fields "Gone Wild"
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
his on-camera time is exactly the same in almost every episode - salute and say hello to Drew at the beginning, do the backwards wave on the last calldown.

And what more "screen presence" do you think he can bring in those 3 to 5 seconds on each show? I mean really!?  He is saying hello to Drew, and doing a name call on those same camera shots.  Its perplexing to me that many of you hold Rich to a such a different standard than that of Rod or Johnny.  I seem to recall seeing Johnny in a "diaper", and Rod in a tutu.  Yet that was considered "gold".  So it's not quite a balanced comparison.  Maybe because Rich is such an elegant put together guy its hard to see him in this light.  Personally, I think it shows a multi-talented guy.  One that is willing to laugh at himself.  I give him a lot of credit.
At any rate, my opinion is that this was an extremely funny video.  A "Will Farrel"-esk  (if you will) satire piece. And I for one can't wait to see what they do next. I laughed out loud several times, and don't feel it reflected negatively in any way on TPIR.  I agree with those saying if it offended you, you are taking things way to serious.   Lighten up guys, life's too short.  Learn to laugh more!

Offline PriceRox

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
I think comparing Johnny and Rod to Rich is a bit complicated.  While I thought Rich was a decent announcer when he was first hired, it seems like he has greatly changed over the last year or so.  (Just watch his older shows on YouTube).  Johnny and Rod however, always sounded the same -- they were professional voice artists, while Rich was a weatherman.

To me whenever Rod and Johnny were on TV, they had their own persona about them.  Rich comes across now as just looking like someone who is kissing up to Drew.  I never felt that way with Johnny or Rod in relation to Bob.

I don't quite know what it is about Rich's demeanor to make me feel that way, but perhaps it's just the over the top "announcing" or some of the ridiculous things that he subjects himself to on the show, in "Drew's style humor."

Rich has gone from a somewhat classy announcer to a mock Andy Richter.  It's almost like since he wasn't involved as much with Bob, he's doing whatever Drew says just to get recognition and face time, even if it means blowing his career in the hopes of being Drew's sidekick for life.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 05:16:42 PM »
Rich has gone from a somewhat classy announcer to a mock Andy Richter.  It's almost like since he wasn't involved as much with Bob, he's doing whatever Drew says just to get recognition and face time, even if it means blowing his career in the hopes of being Drew's sidekick for life.

Wow.

So let me get this straight. 

1. Johnny O. fawning over Bob at the Emmy's and nearly every other joint public appearance is true friendship without nary a shred of doubt?
2. You don't think Drew and Rich aren't actually friends? 
3. You feel Rich is faking his friendship with Drew just to get more face time, all the while he dislikes Drew and the direction of the show? 
4. Dressing up one time as a woman for the sake of a fun showcase on a game-freakin-show constitutes "blowing you're career?"

And we wonder why Drew and Rich won't reach out to us.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »
1. Johnny O. fawning over Bob at the Emmy's and nearly every other joint public appearance is true friendship without nary a shred of doubt?

Maybe Johnny just knew how to do it without making an ass of himself in the process.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
I don't quite know what it is about Rich's demeanor to make me feel that way, but perhaps it's just the over the top "announcing" or some of the ridiculous things that he subjects himself to on the show, in "Drew's style humor."

Rich has gone from a somewhat classy announcer to a mock Andy Richter.  It's almost like since he wasn't involved as much with Bob...

I hate to open this can of worms, but not having Roger there to remind Rich to tone it down probably is certainly a rather strong factor into Rich's demeanor and announcing tone.  That "class" that vanished was Roger's coaching.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline JLPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
Wow Price Rox.  All I can say is wow.  Rich was a 'voice guy" (professional) for over 20 years, in radio and on commercials.  He was only a "weatherman" as you say, for a few years.  He just happened to be doing that when he was hired.  It's exactly as I suspected.  Because you guys don't like Drew and his direction for the show, you also do not like Rich now.  You would have rather him quit, than follow the current producers.  Amazing. Now you criticize everything he does.  He is merely doing what his position requires at this time.  Just as he did it the way "Bob and Roger" wanted him to do it when they were there. But because you don't like the direction, you don't like him now.

And.. Mr Gavazzi.... "making an ass" of oneself is purely your opinion of things.  Which... you are entitled.  Just like my opinion of you making an ass of yourself, .... many times on this board.  I mean really, you are quite pompous a lot of times, IMO. ha

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »
<snip>

Way to miss the point in order to go off on me for no reason.

Watch any clip of Rod. Even when he was sick. You can just FEEL it - when he was on camera he stole the show, with the same 'lack of time' Rich has. The only time I can remember ever feeling that from Rich's on-camera time was the 007 showcase.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
Because you guys don't like Drew and his direction for the show, you also do not like Rich now.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like Rich because his announcing has gotten damn shitty.

And.. Mr Gavazzi.... "making an ass" of oneself is purely your opinion of things.  Which... you are entitled.  Just like my opinion of you making an ass of yourself, .... many times on this board.  I mean really, you are quite pompous a lot of times, IMO. ha

No, I don't feel that I've ever made an ass of myself on here.  I've certainly made asses of other people, though, most of whom walked right into it...and while I don't remember it, based on your attitude toward me, I'm gonna guess that you're probably one of them.

Offline JLPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 11:07:13 PM »
Way to miss the point in order to go off on me for no reason.

Not "going off on anyone", nor did I miss your point. I just disagree with your perception of things, that's all.  You may not "feel" anything from Rich's announcing, but I for one do. So I am allowed to disagree, without it being considered "going off on you". It wasn't personal.

And no Mr Gavazzi, we have never had a disagreement, or any words at all.  And I do not have an "attitude" towards you.  I am merely making an observation, from reading this board for many, many years.  That's all.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 11:10:29 PM »
And no Mr Gavazzi, we have never had a disagreement, or any words at all.  And I do not have an "attitude" towards you.  I am merely making an observation, from reading this board for many, many years.  That's all.

Telling someone you think he frequently makes an ass of himself -- especially on a board where he's been posting for about eight and a half years longer than you have -- generally constitutes having an attitude.

Offline ThereseW

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »
I think Rich is beginning to make himself look more foolish  that just that rediculous video (I still can't believe he did it!).

He is, unfortunately, sounding more and more like the typical "gameshow announcer" that comedy and cartoon shows make fun of.  Up until last year his style was great...very harmonious to hear and never coming on too strong.  His voice was consistently pleasant to listen to.  Now it seems like he, as someone here mentioned, is often going "over the top" with his reading of the prize description.  It's as if he thinks if he yells it are over-emphasizes it, the prize will seem better.

If he increases that type of "gameshow announcing" (which Price never seemed to have with Johnny or Rod) Rich's announcing will become more of a joke.  I hope he tones it down and returns back to his wonderful earlier style when Bob was still there (and Roger!).

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
Maybe Johnny just knew how to do it without making an ass of himself in the process.

And that's your opinion.  My main problem is that all too many Rich is described as just "following suit" and "doing what he's told" when for all we know he could actually want to participate more and actually likes Drew.

You know, how do we know Johnny actually liked Bob?  Maybe it was all show as some have conjectured/speculated/made up regarding Rich and Drew?

Who are we to say from our couches, that Drew and Rich aren't actually becoming pretty good friends?  What the hell do we know?
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »
  What the hell do we know?

Why, we're on the Internet! We know everything!
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline JLPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »
Telling someone you think he frequently makes an ass of himself -- especially on a board where he's been posting for about eight and a half years longer than you have -- generally constitutes having an attitude.

But see, there is the "pompous" attitude again Steve.  :roll: Because I have not "posted" as much as you, or as long, means nothing. I have been lurking many years, before I posted. But what does that matter anyway?  Besides,....  I prefaced what I said with, its only my "opinion" of your actions here. Nothing more,... an opinion. You have yours, and I have mine ;).

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2009, 12:12:13 AM »
And with that said, please let's keep the focus on the subject of this thread.

And while we're at it, I think it'd be best when we (meaning everyone here) quote someone to offer a reply to not have the first words typed be "Wow," or "Ok. Wow." (I'm beginning to see it appear more and more...)You may not mean it that way, but it comes off as "Wow, I can't believe you have such a ridiculous opinion." It's antagonizing, and I've noticed people start to get offended or get personal when replies begin in that way. If you think someone's opinion is crazy, just offer your counterpoints. No prefaces or interjections needed. We'll all see that you disagree.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:04:33 AM by temptation1979ga »