Author Topic: Ideas for Future TPIR Episodes  (Read 6042 times)

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Ideas for Future TPIR Episodes
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »
Why lock this thread?  Just because some disagree with his ideas?  Good ideas or not...the OP is just speculating.

Can we not do that anymore?? 
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline minicooperwill

• In the Audience
  • Hi
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
Something that has been done only fairly recently (as far as I know, which isn't very far, LOL) that I like: using contestants as models in the showcase or a pricing game.  I think they should do that more often.  It looks like fun; the contestants looked like they were enjoying it, and I imagine both the home and studio audiences enjoyed it too (even though it goes against tradition).
I went to a taping on 12/8!!!!  It will air on 2/10/10 Let me know if you want me to spoil it for you!  LOL!!!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
Also, a good number of us thought the showcase theme where the three who never left contestants row come up and model the showcase prizes was one of the best ones since Roger left the show.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »
Why lock this thread?  Just because some disagree with his ideas?  Good ideas or not...the OP is just speculating.  Can we not do that anymore?? 

Speculate, yes.  Make ridiculous proposals just to hear yourself talk, no.

The show's basic formula have lasted for over fifty years, as we've already stated.  Davidson's show taught us that when you stray too far from that formula, you pay dearly.  A lot of things they tried after Drew came on didn't work for one basic reason:  why fix something if it ain't broke?  And IMHO, the proposals being batted around are trying to fix something that's not broken to start with.
Bazinga!

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
And IMHO, the proposals being batted around are trying to fix something that's not broken to start with.

I'd argue that there are some things "broken", but the ideas suggested are not the solution.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »
Speculate, yes.  Make ridiculous proposals just to hear yourself talk, no.

The show's basic formula have lasted for over fifty years, as we've already stated.  Davidson's show taught us that when you stray too far from that formula, you pay dearly.  A lot of things they tried after Drew came on didn't work for one basic reason:  why fix something if it ain't broke?  And IMHO, the proposals being batted around are trying to fix something that's not broken to start with.

Thank goodness you aren't a moderator.  There'd be no discussion.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
I grew up in the South ...

So I guess they're kinda racist then (asking since I wouldn't see why else you would point that out).

Anyways while I do see where the OP is coming from, I also must agree that those ideas are bad and will just create problems. The only thing I can see them doing is having a showcase in which it's theme is Black Inventors (for Black History Month) but even that would be a stretch and might cause controversy.

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
The proposed theme shows by the topic creator are very "meh" in my book, the only thing I like really is maybe the model hosting ONE GAME. That could be funny if done once.

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »
So I guess they're kinda racist then (asking since I wouldn't see why else you would point that out).

Exactly, but I do not mean to say that ALL Southerners are racists.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
While we're on the subject of ideas for future TPIR episodes, I've got one. An episode where all the contestants are NHL players.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »
While we're on the subject of ideas for future TPIR episodes, I've got one. An episode where all the contestants are NHL players.

Uh... no offense, but that idea is just as narrow-minded and poorly thought out as the OP's.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 06:55:49 PM »
TPIR doesn't need more theme shows.

Christmas, Halloween, April Fool's, and Veteran's Day are good enough.

I mean, any more than, say, 5 or 6 a year, and it would just become really stupid. What next, we would have an Arbor Day show, and everyone would dress like a tree? Then, we would have an Earth Day show, and the showcases would be "things you can find on Earth". For Columbus Day, Rich would be dressed like an indian, and Drew would be in pantaloons. President's Day? Lanisha would have Lincoln's beard, Manuela would have wooden teeth, and Rachel would be in a fat suit portraying William Howard Taft. And let us not give short shrift to the TPIR Festivus show.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 07:06:22 PM »
The show's basic formula have lasted for over fifty years, as we've already stated.  Davidson's show taught us that when you stray too far from that formula, you pay dearly. 

If, by the first part of your statement, you are referring specifically to the idea of four contestants, calling out bids on an item, you are correct.  In any other way, the show has been quite dynamic in its presentation.   The addition of pricing games, the restriction of bidding to one-bid rounds (the original show had rounds where the contestants bid until they all froze, and no pricing games as we know them), the wheel, the way things are presented, everything has changed over the years.   It  might be better said that  "The current show has lasted 38 seasons with only minor changes and additions." 

Davidson's show was no jewel, but it wasn't solely straying from the "formula" that brought it down.    Poor timeslots was the main issue.    In better time slots, who knows what that version might have done?   Personally, I think it could have survived longer, and the removal of contestant's row was certainly not the worst change they made.   The horrible set, the rather poorly done music package, and the rather inexperienced host were bigger problems.   Still, it could have worked. 

Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
You could really take special shows to the extreme.  I'm not saying special shows are all bad, but I think they should just keep it to just a few a year.   

Tomorrow is Pearl Harbor day.   Should they have a show for one of the worst days in US history.     NO!

They have done a wonderful job with April Fools and Halloween.   If they leave it to just those two, I'd be perfectly content.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
If, by the first part of your statement, you are referring specifically to the idea of four contestants, calling out bids on an item, you are correct.

That is what I meant, but you made a good point also.

Davidson's show was no jewel, but it wasn't solely straying from the "formula" that brought it down.    [snip]   Personally, I think...[t]he horrible set, the rather poorly done music package, and the rather inexperienced host were bigger problems.

A more malicious person would point out that these exact problems exist and have existed with TPiR since season 36.  But not me :)
Bazinga!