Author Topic: Russian version  (Read 9165 times)

Offline dimon1408

• Outside in Line
  • TPiR fan from Russia
    • Quizzies - game show bonanza!
Russian version
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »
Hello! I am new on this forum, and, as you can probably tell by the title, I'm from Russia :)
I haven't found any info about the Russian version of TPiR on the forum, so I'll give it a go and describe it in brief here.

The Russian version of TPiR was called "Tsena Udachi" (Цена удачи), meaning "The Price of Luck". This is quite true: since the price ranges are very different in Russia, it was mostly up to luck if you win or lose. The show ran from September 11, 2005 to June 25, 2006, surviving for less than a year. The hosts were Boris Smolkin (an actor) and Anton Komolov (previously an MTV-Russia presenter and a radio DJ). The announcer for both seasons was Pyotr Kuleshov (also the host of Russian version of Jeopardy!).

The rules were very similar to the worldwide format. At the beginning, 4 players are called to "come on down!" to the "contestant podiums" (Contestant's Row). They are then shown an item, and have to bid on its price. The contestant who bid the closest to the actual retail price without going over goes through to play a pricing game but does not receive the item. However, if a contestant calls the price of the item exactly, he/she will then receive the price. This has never happened in the show's history. Also, never has there been a situation when all 4 contestants overbid.

So, the pricing games. There were not as many as in the USA. None were original, too. A lot of episodes had Switcheroo (called "Empty cell"), Cover Up (called "Ladder"), Plinko (called "Colored disks". what a lame name.), Race Game (called "Prize race"), Make Your Move (called "Two-Three-Four"), and Any Number (called "From 0 to 9"). There have also been various others, like "Let 'em Roll", "Lucky Seven", "Three Strikes" and others. The budget was quite limited, and the games too were limited by price length. In fact, the most expensive car ever offered was Toyota Avensis, which cost over 770,000 roubles (and was won in Lucky Seven). Despite the lengthy prices, no free digits were ever givevn, but during the first season the host would often, in more difficult games such as Lucky Seven or Three Strikes, offer to uncover one of the digits if the contestant gets beyond half-way through the game. Some games were varied from the original. For instance, Plinko was played with UK Pasquale-era rules: first, the player collects chips by going higher/lower on cheap prizes (because almost nothing bearable had a 2-digit price at that point). Then the contestants throws chips, and has a choice - walk out with that sum of money (up to 22500 roubles, at the time equal to approx. US$800 - about the cost of a decent laptop), or throw one more chip and go for the big prize (a trip or a washing machine most often, usually in the 20000-40000 rouble range). The slots at the bottom would change to "Yes/No" and some Yes slots will be covered up by No slots, depending on how well has the contestant done in the pricing segment). If it lands on "yes" they win the prize, on "no" - nothing. "Any Number", instead of 4-3-3 setup as in the USA, had a 5-3-2 setup (i.e. the top prize was in 10000-99999 range, but the first digit was not given for free). The piggy bank was worth maximum 99 roubles, or $3.50. "Hole in One" did not have the bonus if you have got all of the items in a row correct. 'Grand Game" was played for up to 50,000 roubles (approx. $1800), and featured 6 cheap items (between 10 and 500 roubles). The contestant could only win either 5,000 or 50,000 roubles (therefore a mistake on first, second or third item would make the contestant forfeit the winnings). "Cover up" could only have 2 tries - even if on 2nd try the contestant has one more number right than the last time, they lose.
Two quick pics: the Plinko set and the "Make Your Move" board:

There were 4 rounds of bidding, and all 4 contestants go to the showcase showdown. The contestants spin in order of appearance on stage, not their winnings. Whoever is closest to 100 points without going over in 1 or 2 spins goes on to the showcase. If a player gets 100 points in one spin, he or she wins 5,000 roubles (approx. $180) and a bonus spin. If they get 100 points in a bonus spin, they win 50,000 more ($1,800). Landing on a 5 or 15 nets you nothing. If there's a tie, the procedure is different. Three matches are brought onto the stage, with covered lenghts. Players pick one match each. Whoever gets the longest one wins and goes through to the showcase. Also, you don't have to get the wheel all the way around at least once so people usually push it very gently, otherwise it would go on forever. In addition, a 100 in two spins does not equal to 100 in one spin - the player who got it in one spin will therefore win in that case, which makes no sense.

The showcase is solo. The player first uses the "Range finder" to determine the range of the guess - how far he/she can miss the showcase price. The values were 1000 to 4000 (a max. $140 error) in 1st season, increasing to 2000 to 5000 (a max. $180 error) in the 2nd season. The items are then revealed, and the contestant bids on the overall price. It is then revealed. If the guess is within the range of the actual price without going over, they win the showcase. There was no award for guessing the price within 250 roubles ($9) of the price or for exact guess (neither of these happened). The showcase prices were approx. 30000 to 60000 roubles ($1000-$2100).

Well, here it is! Let me know what you think!
Here's an episode to watch (in Russian): http://video.yandex.ru/users/grishailyashev/view/235
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:22:17 PM by dimon1408 »

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Russian version
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:02:13 AM »
Wow...that version...was very slow and laborious. The prize values were OK, but for the level of prizes they gave out, the car just stuck out like a sore thumb with such a high price. Plus, that must have been the cheapest showcase I have ever seen on any version of TPiR (not counting the 1989 UK version which was just a very cheap affair overall). What the heck was that pink thing with what looked like a dragon's head on it that was in the middle of the showcase items?

Overall, not too bad for a Russian broadcast. Most of the stuff I've seen from there has been kinda slow and monotonous. The contestants don't really seem to be too excited either. I don't know if that's normal for Russians, but it's what I've noticed on the game shows I've seen on the web.

Offline dimon1408

• Outside in Line
  • TPiR fan from Russia
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:13:05 AM »
I think it was pretty badly done in general. The main reason it was that bad is the contestants... They showed no emotions! That, partially, was the reason the show didn't last long. The second reason was that it was scheduled at 11:00 AM Sundays, a killer time for a game show. The ratings were tiny, so it ended up in trash. Partially, I think, the show was somewhat fixed - in the 2nd season, you can see thatonly those who are going to be called to come on down wear name badges. Somewhat it was the whole idea of most Russians being prone to the whole idea of game shows - there was one (played for books  :-P) during the Soviet times, there were not many untill the 2000's, and suddenly all those shows come out.
I think that if the show actually got some energetic contestants and was moved to a different time slot, we could still be seeing it today.
I will watch again to tell you what that thing is.

Offline dimon1408

• Outside in Line
  • TPiR fan from Russia
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
What the heck was that pink thing with what looked like a dragon's head on it that was in the middle of the showcase items?
Just watched it again, it's a kids' trampoline/bouncy castle.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »
So, the pricing games. There were not as many as in the USA. None were original, too. A lot of episodes had Switcheroo (called "Empty cell"), Cover Up (called "Ladder"), Plinko (called "Colored disks". what a lame name.), Race Game (called "Prize race"), Make Your Move (called "Two-Three-Four"), and Any Number (called "From 0 to 9"). 
Not surprising.  Remember, we've had forty years to build all our props.  After the fourth season or so, we've only made one or two new games per year, but one or two per year can sure add up over thirty years! 

By the end of our first season in 1973, I think we only had 11 different pricing games in the rotation. 
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline CeleTheRef

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
happy to see more versions of TPIR!   :D   keep us informed if there are talks about bringing it back

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:06 PM »
Hi dimon1408, thanks very much for posting on this link, would it be okay to take screenshots for Golden Galleries Around The World?

Cheers

Offline dimon1408

• Outside in Line
  • TPiR fan from Russia
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
would it be okay to take screenshots for Golden Galleries Around The World?
Sure. I can provide you with more screenshots and actually more videos if you wish.

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »
Sure. I can provide you with more screenshots and actually more videos if you wish.

That be great, thanks for the offer.