Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/17/2006  (Read 19851 times)

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/17/2006
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 05:54:01 PM »
Interesting show.  I didn't get a chance to see it, but here are my observations looking at the recap.

PG 1: For some reason, the town of Kearney, NE is pronounced "Carney."  That first e gets in the way sometimes.  I didn't know about it until I passed through there on my way to Colorado in '97.

Money Game: Is it just me, or have all cheap Chevy cars of late ended in 65?  Two recent Aveos have both ended in 65, and my '03 Cavalier coupe (Std, Rear Spoiler) was $16,165 (A Dice Game special if I do say so myself).  Not that I expect Joe Plinko to know that, but just a word to the wise if you ever get stuck playing for a cheap car.

I may add more to this if I get back to the thread.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 06:57:15 PM »
Barker's Bargain Bar: I did not pay too much attention to this game, but enough to know the silver punch set was the bigger bargain.

Grand Game: Okay, the lights are one thing, but...
How many more times will all the products will be unbranded except for the Pillsbury Crescent Rolls?

Pathfinder: Trappy! I would've got only the MP3 Player right. Still trappy.

Barker's Marker$: You know how some say you should switch and give up the five if you're not so sure about that last price? Well, I knew for sure to give up the five today.

Money Game: At the start of the game, I was thinking Aveos like that would probably be around 16 and not as low as 14. Okay, I was wrong on that. Then I thought 35. I was wrong on that, too. ..

Everybody, including Bob and the folks at the FFBC wanted to see if Carol, Artemis, and Lisa make the trip to the House. Well, two out of three ain't bad [chuckle].

Pick-A-Number: I keep thinking about how people dislike this game. I like it and got it right by picking 9. It's not always the middle number.

There was something about Allison that easily made me feel she was the best contestant of the day. Maybe it was her smile or aura or something. Too bad she was 10K away from a great win. She still had that smile though.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline SouthSide86

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 07:08:58 PM »
[color=FF9900]Barker's Bargain Bar:[/color][/b] Oh wow! I went with the gym and lost this game.

[color=009900]*Grand Game*[/color][/b] Note: The lights was blinking on and off when the game introduced, the playing was simple, the can of mushroom soup was $2.99 in which i don't belive that can of soup would be that much, and of course the scrub brush made Allison win $10,000 which the lights wasn't on.

[color=FF9900]Pathfinder:[/color][/b]
[color=006600]One word: Hard. That drink mix i thought it was $160. but otherwise the playing was complicated.[/color]

Showcase Showdown 1: 75, 80, 95 wow!

[color=FF33FF]Barker's Markers[/color][/b] I knew that bar was $2,910 there was no way that price would be $1,750 but as many players play this game, they wanted that $500 wad.

[color=0000FF]Money Game:[/color][/b] How can someone lose on that CHEAP Chevrolet Aveo. I knew the car was gonna be $14,700+. Why would Michael pick 16 for a CHEAP car? 15 can go either way. the numbers 95, 80, and 75 i would have not chosen. It would be either 65, 50, or 35.

[color=336600]Pick-a-Number:[/color][/b][color=FF9900]OMG get rid of this game.[/color]

Showcases: I bid only $16,353 on the 1st showcase and i was off by a mile but then i bid $17,552 and missed by $2,700+ but i thought this was going to end in a double over. Allison bid way too much on that dinning room with a PETITE Grand Piano.

Overall: This show is ok with a $10,000 win in Grand Game, thanks to Allison.

PS: The 1st 2 pricing games that they played back to back premiere in 1980.

Offline gauchodirk

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 07:47:59 PM »
It's amazing how many people were SURE that the bar set in Barker's Markers was $2910 - I personally thought $1750 looked better, and most contestants would too.  There was nothing to indicate that the bar set was almost three grand.  The games are always easy to play in hindsight.

And though some here may have known that Chevy Aveos are often only $14K (depending on the trim and options), the average contestant does not.  If Michael were to have been on the lookout for anything, it should have been the ol' front-and-back trick, which Roger employed today.  But I'm not going to fault him for initially thinking the car was at least $15K; the average American doesn't know that you can still buy a new car for less than that.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 08:43:24 PM »
Actually, there's a pretty darn good reason why so many of us were probably so sure the bar set was $2910, and it's not hindsight:  we've seen that bar set on the show dozens of times before, and likely remember the price because of how unreasonably expensive it seems.

Having said that, there's no reason to expect Joe Plinko to know the price.  But it's why most of us knew, anyway.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 08:52:57 PM »
Show #6433

The guy who invented the term "ZergCam" on Jeopardy! wrote:

*My computer's pretty sick, so I can't do screencaps right now. I'll get to them eventually.

Here's some hottie screencaps from WCIA: Allison,  Stacie

Showcase #1
Holland Tradition LS BBQ - $779
Trip to New OrleansFlorence, Italy - $9,116
Sea-Doo Challenger 180CS 17' Ski Boat, which did not appear in Season 34 - $22,999

Showcase #2
Broyhill Urban View Dining Group - Yes, it went down starting with June 21, 2006, $3,338
MCF Limoges China Dinnerware - $813
Hawaii's Finest Shave Ice Cart - $3,367
Samick Petite Grand Piano - $10,000

Modeling Report Card for October 17, 2006, exactly one year since the last trip to New Orleans
Score to beat:  $59,604

Rock on, Brandi!  She's got $49,757!

Priceco has 24 prizes in the warehouse totaling $117,706!

Offline gauchodirk

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 09:14:22 PM »

Frank15 wrote:
Actually, there's a pretty darn good reason why so many of us were probably so sure the bar set was $2910, and it's not hindsight:  ...

Frank, I hadn't thought of that; I don't personally recall seeing the bar set, but then again I don't usually remember individual prices unless they really stand out.  I guess this one did for some people.  Otherwise, as you and I agree, that bar set does not look like it's 90 dollars short of three thousand.  Still, I think there are some who subscribe to the "always switch the mark in Barker's Markers" theory.  I'm not saying that this theory is right or wrong, I just don't think that the contestant in this case was motivated by keeping the $500; I think she actually thought the $1750 was right, and would have kept it whether there had been a penalty or not.

Offline sternal

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 09:36:15 PM »
Barker Bargain bar-The moment that shane choice the punch set i had a feeling he was going both prizes.

Grand game- was a pretty much a easy set up for a easy win.

Pathfinder ouch! Stacie played that badly

Barker marker-Ouch! That was a basd break for Lisa.

Money Game-The moment that micheal choose 95 i had a felling that he had lost. Of course, my guess would have been wrong too.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »
I wonder what was wrong with Grand Game.  The game's lights were flashing between "off" and "win" during the intro, and then they stayed off the whole rest of the game.

I always worry when Bob does something like what he did in Barker's Marker$ today.  When they started lighting up prices that Lisa had marked correctly, he started telling her that she'd won those prizes.

I think it's official -- 35 is no longer a good choice in Money Game.

I'd always assumed that Pick-a-Number was built so that the numbers couldn't fall out of their holders.

SouthSide86 wrote:

Pick-a-Number:OMG get rid of this game.

If that's gonna be your only reaction to Pick-a-Number...then the next time they play it, please just don't react.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 12:09:28 AM »

Jacob Wilkey wrote:
Here's some hottie screencaps from WCIA: Allison,  Stacie

"We're WCIA-3, your hottie leader!"  ...I kinda like it.

Oh, and that bar set...I knew it was $2,910.  Of course, it was the famous bar set/piano I won in that one LiveShow...so I may have had a peculiar reason there.  :-)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 09:28:52 AM »
The bigger bargain is...Hmmm, Tough call. :-)

Grand Game may have been bit by the flash bug. :-D  But nontheless, The Sexy Allison  :-D  deserved it and it was well-deserved to be on.

Stacie should've known that Dodge Charger was indeed $23K in Pathy.

What is up with that audience? Those Johnston Casuals Bar Sets aren't just pictured inside like some. :-D

Last two can pass.

Bran and Gwen looked pretty funny as two bad-haired cavemans.

Allison missed out on a super win but has $10K to spend with help her from Mother.

Good episode.

Offline artful

• 10/17/2006
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 10:05:31 AM »
This is new member artful....AKA Michael, the contestant from the 10/17 show. Another beach bum as the esteemed webmaster refers to me. What was I supposed to wear, a tux, shirt and tie. It was frickin' 95 degrees out and we were all in line since 3AM. You try staying up 12 hrs. and see how you look.

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 11:43:05 AM »
I think there's a point in there.  While there's something to be said for wearing pants, I'd rather feel comfortable than look good on TV.

Great shirt, by the way.

Offline artful

• 10/17/2006
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 11:46:53 AM »
thanks for the reply. any chance of getting a few stills of me from the show? I would greatly appreciate it. I made the shirt myself with that famous photo of Pauline, that woman from the infamous Grand Game.

Offline Marco

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 12:03:31 PM »
"You try staying up 12 hrs. and see how you look."

tell me about it, the "esteemed webmasters" on this site are EXTREMELY rude, they come back with some very nasty remarks.....that is what I refuse to post my thoughts but I must commend you for yours. These "esteemed webmasters" also do not have to wait in any lines to see the show, isn't that nice?

Just my honest opinion
Marco