Author Topic: Status of Credit Card  (Read 10554 times)

Offline TPIRGuru

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Status of Credit Card
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:26 PM »
Of all those games that "look" aged, Credit Card was certainly one of the more modern looking games, even though it was from the 1990s(?)

Credit Card has been around since 1987. I have a feeling it has to do with stupid time constraints. Here's what you do then. Reduce the prize descriptions! Just have them cover the basics. Blah! Not that hard.

And if they can do a lineup like today, no excuse why they can't play Credit.

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
Aren't checks starting to become exactly that?  As a matter of fact the game basically became a hassle and pointless even with Bob.  He had even gotten to a point of telling contestants to forget writing the whole check out (i.e. One thousand, eight hundred dollars).

Checks are still very widely used, as are credit cards. If that's the reason they're not playing these, then that's a dumb and illogical reason.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »
Checks are still very widely used, as are credit cards. If that's the reason they're not playing these, then that's a dumb and illogical reason.

Checks are widely used, but not for long. Europe has started widely phasing them out, and the U.S. is expected to follow.

Check Game is very classy looking, I think.  However, I think with the futuristic direction of the show, checks are simply being considered by Young Mike and Super Drew as an outdated form of currency.

Futuristic direction of the show? What show are you watching, TPiR '94? Price is more retro looking than its ever been.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:23:09 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PriceRox

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »
Futuristic direction of the show? What show are you watching, TPiR '94? Price is more retro looking than its ever been.

Oh yes, nothing says "Retro" quite like an electric snowboard, a computerized gas grill, or a "Supercar" driving experience.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 07:07:26 PM »
Oh yes, nothing says "Retro" quite like an electric snowboard, a computerized gas grill, or a "Supercar" driving experience.

So now we're talking about prizes? I was talking about the show itself and its games... you know, like everybody else in this thread.

Prizes are going to change with the times and the viewership, simply put.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PriceRox

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »
No, but I consider the prizes to be a very integral part of the show.  (Thus, the overall product that is Price is Right)

Could you provide me with examples of what recent changes have made the show more retro than ever?  I know that changing the Showcase podiums and One Bid podiums to video monitors isn't exactly retro.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
I wouldn't count on that. You know how much Bob hated explaining check game.

Bob loved Blank Check.  The "nobody ever knows how to play this" routine gave him a lot of material over the years.

Is it possible that Check Game & Credit Card have been dismantled/removed from the storage areas to make way for refurbished games (like the new ME set)?

As far as I know, they're both still there.  Of course, I'd be interested to know if you've heard otherwise.

Aren't checks starting to become exactly [obsolete]?

You have obviously never worked in a pharmacy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:40:24 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »
Checks are still very widely used, as are credit cards.
Of course I can only speak for myself but as a member of television's top demographic, in the two years I've had a bank account I have written exactly three checks. I'm still on my starter set from when I signed up with the bank. Debit cards are the way to go for a lot of modern folk these days.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
I'd love for it to come back as an updated version.

I don't want to see that--I want to see Check say the same classy looking game it is. These games do not need updating. They were fine just the way they were. I mean there is nothing wrong with "old school."

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
You have obviously never worked in a pharmacy.

As a matter of fact I develop them and last I checked the plans and walked the site, we had about 7 of those little CHECK card scanning/signing/cash-backing/not paper checking things.  That of course is the technical term.  :-D
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
"Check Card" anyone?  Ooooooh.

"The object of the game is to write this check for an amount of money, that when added to the total price of the three least expensive prizes of those five, totals between eleventy-billion and eleventy-billion-one-thousand dollars."

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:40 PM »

I guess you have a point - Jeopardy! as it looked in 1991 was 19 years ago already, so I guess you can call that 'retro.'

Either way I think the Season 36 set was the most retro of all...
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »
"Check Card" anyone?  Ooooooh.  Coincidence both of those have been missing???

"Here is a Price is Right check card.  On this card is an $8,000 limit.  In a moment Rachel will scan the price of that prize.  I want you to get some cash back off the card, just like at the grocery store.  If the your total of the prize and the cash back you take out is above $7,000 but below the card's limit of $8,000, you'll win the prize and the cash you withdraw."

"Swipe the card and punch in your cash back amount now."

Set would be giant check card scanner/swipe unit (LCD screen) like you see at the register and played at a big door next to the prize a la Double Prices.  

Good happy medium???
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »
Either way I think the Season 36 set was the most retro of all...

True, but if you ask me, those hypocycloids made the doors too hard to look at, and should have stayed in the 1970s, where they belong  :lol:
Bazinga!

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »
Credit Card has been around since 1987. I have a feeling it has to do with stupid time constraints. Here's what you do then. Reduce the prize descriptions! Just have them cover the basics. Blah! Not that hard.

If I'm not mistaken, it's timed at 5.5 minutes. The same timings as Plinko, Punch-a-Bunch, and 1/2 Off. 3 games that are played every week or every other week, at a much smaller prize package.

"Check Card" anyone?  Ooooooh.  Coincidence both of those have been missing???

Are you actually advocating for less games in the rotation? Especially after we had 6 of them retired in the last 2 years?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:53:18 PM by joeyboy »