Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/06/2010  (Read 15068 times)

Offline JasonA1

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/06/2010
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:16 AM »
Today's playing of 10 Chances is just one more piece of evidence in my growing collection that America today is primarily comprised of idiots.

With all due respect, put yourself in an average viewer's shoes. They probably can't name 20 of the games by name. How are we to expect them to know the zero "rule?" Taken on its face, there's no reason the prices in Ten Chances *have* to end in zero. Guesses ending in -32, -05, -17, whatever - they're all legitimate. Just like a contestant who bids in Cliff Hangers as if the items don't ascend in price - it gives you, the loyal viewer, a chance to say "ohhh, the prices go up! Don't do that!!" It involves you with the show. You're rewarded for being an eagle-eyed fan. How this translates to people being idiots for playing a game the right way is beyond me.

An idiot might use all the numbers in the scramble after being repeatedly told by Drew not to. Or they might say "higher" when playing Now or Then.

-Jason

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »
I think billiard table can be tricky. Sometimes there are tables priced that high, but I feel like they've featured billiard tables priced significantly lower as well.

One quick clue to how expensive a billiard table is: If "slate top" is in the description, it's more than $3,000 in price.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »
With all due respect, put yourself in an average viewer's shoes. They probably can't name 20 of the games by name. How are we to expect them to know the zero "rule?" ... You're rewarded for being an eagle-eyed fan. How this translates to people being idiots for playing a game the right way is beyond me.

This is where I've said before on this board that it helps contestants who appear on TPiR — or any other game show, for that matter — to have watched the show beforehand. And I mean several episodes, not just one. All the books I've read about game shows (including those by former contestants, aimed at helping prospective ones) highly recommend this. That way, he/she (the contestant) is familiar with the show and its rules, and in this games, has a basic idea about how the games work. In other words, he's not just some schmuck who wandered into the studio, saw lights and bells and a cheering audience and decides to go inside.

And yes, I understand that not all contestants know the tricks to each game, so sometimes it can be forgiven.

Brian

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
I just can't realistically see everybody who goes to see the show, even a majority, researching and practicing beforehand, because I don't think that many people go to see The Price is Right with the specific goal of winning prizes. Maybe a friend invited them. Maybe they were in LA and it just seemed like a crazy idea, or they had watched when they were kids. And there's an off chance that you get to be on national TV, say hi to all your friends, and show it off to everyone when it airs. If I were a casual fan or apathetic attendee, I'd hardly even care about winning things, let alone researching strategies and hidden rules to try and help me win, until I was up on stage and it actually mattered. And I would probably listen to my friends in the audience, because to me the whole pricing thing would just be a crapshoot. I think a lot of the contestants chosen these days see the gameplay as if it's the Pick 3.