Author Topic: One-upping bids and one unit bids outside of America  (Read 6625 times)

Offline gshowguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
One-upping bids and one unit bids outside of America
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »
I'm just wondering-- how often have other countries (besides America, obviously) have contestants "one-upped" the highest bid in Contestant's Row or bid only one unit of the local currency when they thought the other bids went over the ARP?

Offline CeleTheRef

• In Contestant's Row
Re: One-upping bids and one unit bids outside of America
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
In Italy one-upping was not too common, or at least it wasn't emphasized.

I don't remember any minimum 1000 lire bid.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
I really can't remember to well regarding Aussie TPIR, but I thought it wasn't a common occurrence.    There were usually differences of at least 10/20/25,  which actually is a reasonable difference when you have some IUFB's that are only $200-400.

Offline jandallo

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
One-upping and one unit bids would only work under two conditions:

1. The currency is stable (i.e. small grocery items wouldn't cost tens or hundreds or even thousands of the unit currency)
2. The prizes aren't ridiculously cheap (while one-upping could work in places like Australia or the UK, their IUFBs were so low priced that one-upping wasn't really necessary)

Again, that's just me using my sense of logic; I wouldn't know for sure.

Offline bduddy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »
One-upping and one unit bids would only work under two conditions:

1. The currency is stable (i.e. small grocery items wouldn't cost tens or hundreds or even thousands of the unit currency)
2. The prizes aren't ridiculously cheap (while one-upping could work in places like Australia or the UK, their IUFBs were so low priced that one-upping wasn't really necessary)

Again, that's just me using my sense of logic; I wouldn't know for sure.
I really don't see how either of those have anything to do with it. You bid 1 if everyone else is over, and you one-up if you think someone else is close or you're last; the currency shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Offline Samhodkin

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:17 AM »
In the 4 or so years I watched BPIR (and a brief smattering of the awful 2006-7 UK version of TPIR), I never saw a 1-up or £1 bid.