Author Topic: Advice for getting out to a taping  (Read 25155 times)

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Advice for getting out to a taping
« on: April 08, 2011, 01:41:58 PM »
Hey everyone!

So I just need some advice for a college student on a tight budget.

I have always wanted to go out to a taping of the show, I am from Connecticut, but flights are way too expensive and hotels are just the same. I want to fly out there, stay up all night, go to the taping, fly back. That's my plan but who knows how it could actually happen.

Whats the best way to find a cheep flight out to the show, any tips or tricks? Anyone from here on the east coast have any tips?

Thanks!

Offline ambergrace

• Outside in Line
Re: Advice for getting out to a taping
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
I recommend using travelocity's fare watcher. I've found fares to LA for as little as $200.

Offline WheelzVatcher

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:49:45 AM »
When I went back in February I got a deal: $175 one way + $75 in tax. It was a 5 hour flight too, not bad!

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:02:53 AM »
I booked through priceline.com and was able to find a decent round-trip flight from Detroit to Los Angeles for around $400 plus accommodations at the Rodeway Inn just across the street from Television City for about $90 a night, if I remember correctly.

Since you're looking to just do it all in one fell swoop with no hotel, your best bet is to catch a late night flight out of Connecticut, say around 11:00 PM the night before or earlier, take a cab from LAX to Beverly Blvd. (depending on traffic, it'll probably take about 15-20 minutes or so), wait in line during the middle of the night, get your order of arrival pass at 6:00 AM, take a walk around downtown L.A. to kill some time, head back to Television City around 11:30 or so, get processed and see the show. (When I saw the show, I was in the audience for the second taping of the day, so, the audience was just leaving the studio as we were just finishing up with Stan, so, say around 3:00 or so). Take another cab back to the airport, board your return flight when it arrives, and call it a trip.

Of course, the tricky part is going to be finding a round-trip flight within a 24 hour span. If you can't, like I siad, the Rodeway Inn was a decent place to spend the night. Plus, they offer continental breakfast...some of the people I talked to said some of the other hotels in the area charged more and didn't give you anything.

You'll have to have some luck though doing it in such a short span of time...airplanes can be delayed...

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Just a heads up: If you try to book a flight through Priceline, DO NOT use the "Name Your Price" option for such a short stay as you will have no control of departure/arrival times. For instance, if you want to fly out Sunday for a Monday taping and return Monday, your itinerary could very well have you arriving at 10:00 AM at LAX on Sunday and departing Monday at 6:00 AM!