Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/22/2011 (Earth Day Price 2011)  (Read 53849 times)

Offline jaredriesel

• 4/22/2011
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/22/2011 (Earth Day Price 2011)
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
Hi everyone!  This is Jared from the Earth Day episode.  It's been pretty funny to read this thread.  Being on the show was an amazing and shocking experience.  There's a lot I could respond to here, but I'll be brief and just make a couple of points.

1)  Clock Game is so incredibly stressful!  I like to think I am generally pretty good at keeping my composure, but that ability completely went out the window as soon as I got called down.  As you may imagine, playing along with these games at home is decidedly easier than standing on stage in front of a live audience with dozens of cameras, hundreds of lights, and a complete inability to hear anything or think straight : )  I became completely overwhelmed and out of breath due to my excitement upon being called down (was NOT expecting to be the first person called down at ALL...and it catches you so off guard).    I know my playing was all over the place and pretty weak, and as for Drew's slight messup, I don't blame him based on how crazily I was guessing.  It's just very difficult to think and guess rationally up there.  I was very lucky to have had won, and am incredibly grateful for the experience.

2)  Lesa was a hell of a player. After I played we were talking for a bit. She was completely calm, cool, and collected.  I was impressed, considering I was beet red, sweating, and shaking as I was filling out paperwork : )

3)  The total value of my winnings was in fact $13,167. Lawnmower - $698 (cash ILO prize); Picnic table - $840, BBQ - $630, Cabana - $9999, Cash - $1000

This has been the experience of a lifetime, for sure.  It's been a blast reliving the experience, however embarrassing or poorly played.  Hopefully there's not too many haters out there : )  My students had a blast watching it with me on Friday, and it's been a trip for my friends and family.  

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, though some moments are still a bit blurry : )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:26:10 PM by jaredriesel »

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
Lawnmower - $698 (cash ILO prize); Picnic table - $840, BBQ - $630, Cabana - $9999, Cash - $1000
I'm always curious to know, if you're willing to answer, are you keeping all of your prizes? :)

Offline jaredriesel

• 4/22/2011
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
I'm still considering keeping some of the smaller items, but I'm pretty positive I'll end up trying to sell the cabaña.  Where I live (Denver/Boulder), there's a pretty solid market for that kind of item.   We'll see though =)

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
I'm still considering keeping some of the smaller items, but I'm pretty positive I'll end up trying to sell the cabaña.
Oh, sure! By keep, I meant not turning them down on your "I agree to pay taxes on these" form. No one would begrudge you for trying to sell a $10,000 yard cover. :P

Offline jaredriesel

• 4/22/2011
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
Oh I didn't think that at all!  But no, I didn't refuse any prizes.  Should be interesting to see how some of that stuff gets delivered.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2011, 03:43:21 PM »
3)  The total value of my winnings was in fact $13,167. Lawnmower - $698 (cash ILO prize); Picnic table - $840, BBQ - $630, Cabana - $9999, Cash - $1000

Welp, I guess I have to retract my previous statement now :P I guess they do use sale prices, like in the Prize of the week's cabinet. Interesting, seeing as the other price for the cabana fit in more. Ah well :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline jaredriesel

• 4/22/2011
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
It looks like they discounted that around the time the cabana was featured in 2010, and it is still listed at that price.  Their website is a bit outdated, so I'm wondering if that is the new retail price of the item.  Hard to tell though  :-D  It'll be interesting to see how much I'm able to actually get for it...

Anybody know if prizes like that would be eligible for the Federal Tax Credit for myself or whoever I sell it to?

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
Jared, blame me. I forgot the cash. Sorry. xD
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline jaredriesel

• 4/22/2011
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
It's OK... so did Drew until afterward.  8-)

In fact, while up there Adam Sandler, the producer, was trying to tell Drew with his hands that he was forgetting to mention the money.  I, while completely out of touch with all that was happening, attempted to get Drew's attention (I think I forgot I was on TV).  You can see me point to the producer while Drew is explaining stuff to me.  Pretty embarassing

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
In fact, while up there Adam Sandler, the producer, was trying to tell Drew with his hands that he was forgetting to mention the money.  I, while completely out of touch with all that was happening, attempted to get Drew's attention (I think I forgot I was on TV).  You can see me point to the producer while Drew is explaining stuff to me.  Pretty embarassing

The last thing anyone here is going to fault you for is trying to correct Drew. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »
Hi everyone!  This is Jared from the Earth Day episode.  It's been pretty funny to read this thread.  Being on the show was an amazing and shocking experience.  There's a lot I could respond to here, but I'll be brief and just make a couple of points.

1)  Clock Game is so incredibly stressful!  I like to think I am generally pretty good at keeping my composure, but that ability completely went out the window as soon as I got called down.  As you may imagine, playing along with these games at home is decidedly easier than standing on stage in front of a live audience with dozens of cameras, hundreds of lights, and a complete inability to hear anything or think straight : )  I became completely overwhelmed and out of breath due to my excitement upon being called down (was NOT expecting to be the first person called down at ALL...and it catches you so off guard).    I know my playing was all over the place and pretty weak, and as for Drew's slight messup, I don't blame him based on how crazily I was guessing.  It's just very difficult to think and guess rationally up there.  I was very lucky to have had won, and am incredibly grateful for the experience.

2)  Lesa was a hell of a player. After I played we were talking for a bit. She was completely calm, cool, and collected.  I was impressed, considering I was beet red, sweating, and shaking as I was filling out paperwork : )

3)  The total value of my winnings was in fact $13,167. Lawnmower - $698 (cash ILO prize); Picnic table - $840, BBQ - $630, Cabana - $9999, Cash - $1000

This has been the experience of a lifetime, for sure.  It's been a blast reliving the experience, however embarrassing or poorly played.  Hopefully there's not too many haters out there : )  My students had a blast watching it with me on Friday, and it's been a trip for my friends and family. 

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, though some moments are still a bit blurry : )

Welcome to Golden-Road.net!

I see you haven't gotten your "spinning star" yet...you should get that, you know.

Offline ClassicG

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jared. Congrats on your Clock Game win.

Like I ask many of the contestants and visitors on the show: were there any jokes or quips made by Drew that were cut from this episode?

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »
I'm not surprised Drew nearly (or really did) forget the $$$ in Clocky... besides it being Drew, it was easy to forget with the dang cabana there.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline jaredriesel

• 4/22/2011
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
Welcome to Golden-Road.net!

I see you haven't gotten your "spinning star" yet...you should get that, you know.

How do I go about doing so?

Offline jaredriesel

• 4/22/2011
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jared. Congrats on your Clock Game win.

Like I ask many of the contestants and visitors on the show: were there any jokes or quips made by Drew that were cut from this episode?

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm trying to think about any funny stuff that Drew said that didn't make it.  There were quite a few stories told during commercial breaks, I recall.  He told a story about a girl who played Plinko and got 3 in a row in the 10,000 spot.  The producers then interrupted the game and told Drew it was rigged.  Turns out they forgot to remove the fishing line they put in there to film a commercial.  They ended up giving the girl the $30,000 she won, and then re-shot it with the original number of chips she had.  Kind of crazy! 

He also went told a long-winded story about how he has a special water treatment system in his home that not only ensures the water is potable, but also cleans better than bleach. 

As for quips/jokes during taping that got cut out, I didn't notice much.  But then again I was hardly able to pay attention and/or hear much.  They really keep the monitor volume down (and the audience volume up).