Author Topic: DEAR LADIES AND GENTS..........  (Read 5459 times)

Offline shieldsy101

• Walking the Golden Road
DEAR LADIES AND GENTS..........
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:18:05 AM »
It is with sincere regret that I must inform the people here at Golden Road.net that I will no longer be posting here as actively, due to many things, but mostly 2 things.

1) The pile-up of university homework, the constant practising of my band, my voice-over work which has just started up again, the pressures of being on more than one message board, and family and personal matters.

2) The general attitude of quite a few people on this forum. I'm sorry, but it just makes me so damn angry, when there are people here who think they are a cut above everyone because they met Roger Dobkowitz, and he let them into the Price is Right on numerous occasions. Just because that happened, does not give you a right to lord it over everyone else, and to think that they as fans, have the right to tell a producer, how he should produce HIS show. I can also tell you, from experience, that you are pretty damn lucky to do what you did with Roger, as in not only come into the studio, but go behind the scenes to extraordinary detail, as pretty much no other show would have allowed this. But, some of the members (1 in particular) need to learn that just because they wrote a FRICKIN' FAQ on every-single-bloody thing that happened in the history of a GAME SHOW, does not automatically give you the right to treat other users like rubbish, because their opinions may differ slightly from yours.

Well, that's all folks. I may come back and post occasionally, but for now, this is Shieldsy101, signing off.
Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: DEAR LADIES AND GENTS..........
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:29:32 AM »
I'm sorry, but it just makes me so damn angry, when there are people here who think they are a cut above everyone because they met Roger Dobkowitz, and he let them into the Price is Right on numerous occasions.

You know, until he got to this sentence, I really thought he was talking about me.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:30:39 AM »
Well, that's all folks. I may come back and post occasionally, but for now, this is Shieldsy101, signing off.

Gotta say I saw that coming.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:12 AM »
I understand and empathize with some (again, some) of your feelings. Though a big self-send-off post isn't necessarily necessary, best of luck in your future endeavors.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:43:45 AM »
Did anyone else hear something? I think my mind is playing tricks on me.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:51:55 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way.

I hope that once you return, you ignore. (Not the forum feature, just ignore)

Sticks and stones, my friend. Sticks and stones.

Did anyone else hear something? I think my mind is playing tricks on me.
Can you tell me my future?
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 02:01:39 AM »
Can you tell me my future?

Only if the price is right.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:59:23 AM »
Did anyone else hear something?

Self-indulgence.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:19 AM »
I understand and empathize with some (again, some) of your feelings. Though a big self-send-off post isn't necessarily necessary, best of luck in your future endeavors.

It also doesn't belong in The TALK Is Right.  Moving this to Left Field.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »
Before this gets locked, I have a couple things to add.

shieldsy, I completely and 100% disagree with your idea that you can go around and mindlessly throw threats at people you don't agree with. Pot, meet kettle. You disagreed with Steve, so you threatened to physically harm him. Steve may have disagreed with you, but I don't think I've ever witnessed him threaten someone with bodily harm in the five years I've been posting here. Not only is what you did wrong, it's illegal. I won't claim to know the laws in Australia, but if you resided in the US, Steve would have every right to press charges. Saying you're going to physically harm someone is a big deal. Saying you're going to physically harm someone because their opinions on a game show differ from yours? Grow. Up.

[J]ust because they wrote a FRICKIN' FAQ on every-single-bloody thing that happened in the history of a GAME SHOW, does not automatically give you the right to treat other users like rubbish, because their opinions may differ slightly from yours.

Again--pot, meet kettle. Isn't this exact sentiment--which you preach against--exactly what you're doing to Steve?

Just because you disagree with Steve does not give you the right to threaten him with bodily harm. Seriously, dude...I don't think you realize the implications of telling someone you're going to beat the ever loving heck out of them if they ever come into your general vicinity over a public message board.

I wish you luck.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
It is with sincere regret that I must inform the people here at Golden Road.net that I will no longer be posting here as actively, due to many things...

If I'm not mistaken, Marc has mentioned several times to "just go" if you don't want to post at GR.net anymore. No need for a grand exit, I don't think.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
...the pressures of being on more than one message board...

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I just noticed this particular phrase. One word stands out to me--pressures. Every message board I visit is an escape from the pressures of life in general. It's a fun activity that I look forward to every time. This next statement is directed to no one in particular, and I truly do mean this as a general statement--If a person feels under pressure being on a message board on the internet, then perhaps it's time to take a step back and get things in perspective. I'd like to hear how some others feel about this. Surely I'm not the only person who was a bit taken aback by that statement.

Offline JonSea31

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
In either event, I seriously think a self-serving "I'm leaving" post was not necessary.  As a matter of fact, I am an administrator on another forum, and we have a rule that whenever someone puts up a self-serving "I'm leaving" thread, which can lead to others begging the user to stay, that user is instantly banned forever, no questions asked.

To sum it up:  On my message board, if you say you're going to leave, we should send you on your way.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  I suggest this rule be implemented on these boards as well.

If I was to leave any forum at any given time, I would just leave peacefully, without creating a selfish send-off thread.

I wish you all the best on your future endeavours, shieldsy101.

Offline wrkbinroc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »
No clue how we will continue on.
It's common sense, apparently to not put gifs here.

Offline shieldsy101

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »
Moderators, please feel free to lock this after I finish. There's just a few things I need to clear up.

First, before anyone starts, please don't do one of those "Thought you were gone, why are you back here" type posts, I'm back, but on a less of a basis than I was.

Second, The Great Butler, if you could do me a favour and have a look at the words I used at the top of this thread, to describe what I was doing then,
I may come back and post occasionally
then look at your own,
even though he said he was LEAVING FOREVER!!
and then, please do not put words in my mouth again. Thank you.

Thirdly, temptation1979ga1, you picked up my use of the phrase, "the pressures of being on more than one message board". At the time of my "leaving" I was on 3 message boards, plus I had sound production/musicology that I am studying at University, playing keyboards and backing vocals in 2 bands, plus some very personal issues (my grandmother, at the time, had just died of cancer.) plus the usual family/friends situations. Perhaps the words "pressures" was a bad choice of words, and for that I'm sorry.

Fourthly, compdude, all my friends say I am a very nice guy, who takes a very long time to get genuinely angry at anything, but as you, and everyone else here will know, everyone gets angry. Steve posted that little bit about me kicking the you-know-what out of him, and I actually genuinely regret that, it was a sort of moment where you post, and then 1/2 hour later, think that it's not gonna be really good for me. What I won't take back or regret however, is the rest of my message to Steve, in which I angrilly called him an 'arrogant bully', after the combination of the above post, plus me being fed up with his rudeness. So, I'm genuinely sorry Steve, if I offended you with the violent nature of that thread, but I am not sorry for what else I called you, you need to start treating people as equals and not acting like your opinion is the only one that matters.

Finally, I'm sorry to everyone for the posts in the topic entitled "40th Season of the Price is Right on CBS ideas." Some of those posts that I made were quite childish and I regret those posts made. I hope that I can earn your forgiveness and respect again. I'm still taking a few months off this forum, I still look occasionally at what goes on, and hey, when I come back, we can try and start over. I may make the occasional controversial statement or topic, but, hey, we're (mostly) all mature adults here, so we should be able to express opinions freely without people breathing down our necks. Also, I'm sorry for this "send off" topic that everyone has ridiculed me over. It's just that I've seen people do it on here before and I didn't realise that it was bad.

Finally, Finally, sorry for making you read all of this, I just enjoying writing, that's all  :-)

Shieldsy101

Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster