Author Topic: America's Got Talent 2011  (Read 3169 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
America's Got Talent 2011
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:36:12 PM »
(Sorry cu, I know you claimed dibs, but you're not here. So...nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah?)

It's time to discuss America's Got Talent. How the judges are, how the acts are, etc.

Anyways, I think we're in for a pretty good start. I think Ryan Andreas is already better than Michael Grimm and the singers from last year, and I think team Ilumminate or whatever they're actually called, although not AS good as Fighting Gravity, are impressive and could make noise as well. Nick also seems to be getting more comfortable in his role.

PS. My friends were in one of the acts that didn't get through, so I make no comments about the bad acts this time.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: America's Got Talent 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
I know it's been more than a month since this thread started, but with Vegas Week here and the live shows coming, time to get discussion started back up. :D

I'm quite impressed by the amount of variety that has gone through to the live shows so far this year...there seem to be a lot fewer straight singers this year than in the past. There's several good dance groups, some good comedians...and all of the danger acts. This is absolutely, 100%, fine by me. :-D

I'm surprised that Dani Shay got through...neither one of her performances in Vegas were that great. The other female singers must have been worse than her...either way, I don't know how long she'll last in the live rounds. I enjoyed her audition, because she added a comedic touch to it...I was expecting more. Ah well.

As for tonight...for heaven's sake, keep Leonid away, please. I saw enough of him in season 1.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline themountainclimber

• 9/29/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • Make it a super stretch!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »
I hope Lys Agnes wins! She's the opera singer with the long braided hair.

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:08 PM »
And we now have the top 48.

For the most part with tonight's show, I have no complaints. Even people like Sam B and Maurcio I think know they're funny, so I don't mind too bad that they're going through. Should be a good top 48. Agree with Mountainclimber that Lys Agnes is one of the favorites, along with Team iLuminate and Landau Murphy Jr., although this should be a good top 48, and an act I never expected could possibly win. We'll see.

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
The kid who did the fire dancing I wish he would have went on he was good
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:01:19 AM »
Today's quarter-final:

Had highs and lows. The good was really good, the bad was...fairly bad.

Think my top 3 and America's top 3 will be the same, Miami All Stars, Sandou Russian Bar, and Anna Graceman (that's my order, won't necessarily be America's). Personally I loved J. Chris Newberg and liked The Fiddleheads enough to make them the other top 5, but I don't think America will, I think America is going to go with Fearless Flores Family and Echo, and I think the judges will put through Flores.

Season 39 CSS Stats:

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
Before I begin...coming into this season, I thought it was going to be hard to top last season, especially with some of the eye-popping and amazing acts. I was relieved to be proven wrong. :-D

I like the set this year better than last year. It's a bit more visually interesting on the sides, and I do like the LED strips they added to the sides of the video wall. It's still not as good as the original set, or my personal favorite, season 3...but it's a start.  The X's on the judges table seem to be washed out, though.  And hey...Nick actually made a few funny quips!

I agree with Piers about Miami All-Stars. They are easily one of the best dance groups on the show ever, and the fact that they did their performance with little rehearsal shows true talent.

Desmond Meeks...does nothing for me. Then again, most of the singers don't.

Those Funny Little People need to go away. They're not funny, they're not entertaining, and they're just annoying.

I like the Fearless Flores Family; however, my only concern is that it seems that the giant metal ball of doom is the only thing they do. Watching them inside of it on their stuntbikes is exciting enough; however, I don't know if they can sustain that for sixty minutes. I can't wait to see what they're going to do next, though....and I loved the camera attached to the bike giving a closeup of the drivers in motion.

I loved the CBS logo on the equipment bag on the floor after Squonk Opera went. :lol:

J. Chris Newberg...was just Chris. I've seen plenty of funny musician/comedians...he's not one of them.

I like Snap Boogie; his style is unique and quite entertaining to watch. However, I don't think he needed the mimes...they were kinda distracting. Needless to say, I enjoyed the end of his act a lot more when he ditched the mimes and just went himself.

Echo is probably the single most talented bird I've ever seen. He's funny, and is capable of entertaining. He was able to rebound nicely from the Vegas debacle, and was actually funny at times. I don't know if he's good enough to win the whole competition, especially with the quality of talent this year, but I'd like to see more.

The Fiddleheads...didn't work. They have a lot of talent, and their rendition of Billy Jean was actually pretty good...but the performance was subpar. The clothes didn't work, and there wasn't a lot put into the actual performance.

Duo Aero failed to step up from their audition. Their act was far too traditional, as opposed to the twist they put on it before, and it didn't really stand out from anything that's been seen before.

Anna Graceman has an amazingly powerful voice for an 11-year-old...but I really don't like child singers. Never have. Likely never will. (And pay attention, sound techs!)

I love Sandou Trio Russian Bar! I was a bit disappointed when the original Russian Bar Trio had to back out in season 3, so I'm glad to see another Russian Bar act. It's extremely dangerous, where one wrong move can mean serious injury...and I loved the added elements they added to it this week. I would pay good money to see them performance in Vegas.

..what the hell was Howie doing at the end? Seriously...it's not funny.

My four of the week are Miami All Stars, Fearless Flores Family, Echo, and Sandou Russian Bar. Yes...no singers. :D

Overall, I love the amount of variety this year...I don't know when the last time a live show had just two straight singers.

...we're still wasting an entire hour for results? Le sigh...

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline themountainclimber

• 9/29/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • Make it a super stretch!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »
Here are my predictions of the final 4 from last night (in no particular order):

1. Lys Agnes - A beautiful voice, as always.

2. Professor Splash - no doubt about this. Amazing to watch.

3. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - Great voice as well.

4. Captain & Maybelle - just a random guess.

Worst of the night:

1. Mauricio Herrera - He's in the final 48 because.... ? His voice is horrible!

2. Seth Grabel - Fakest magic trick I've ever seen. I figured it out immediately!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:28:16 PM by themountainclimber »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
2. Seth Grabel - Fakest magic trick I've ever seen. I figured it out immediately!

How does figuring out a magic trick make it fake? I'm pretty sure what you think he did....well...I'm pretty sure it isn't as simple as you think

Top 4 for me:

1. Seth Grabel - Great Magician

2. Lys Agnes - Obligatory Singer Pick :roll:

3. Landau - Another Obligatory Singer Pick :roll:

4. Judges will probably pick Professor Splash to see the "fire" trick.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
Looks like that horrendous judge intro with that awkward backdrop is gone, and they're just sitting behind the desk now. Thank goodness.

Speaking of judges...Piers has been on fire with the nasty comments and the buzzer this year! He's buzzed almost one-third of the acts in the live shows this year. Most of the time I agree with him...but there's been times I've questioned it...

The Summerwind Skippers stepped it up. They went from "boring jump-rope act" to "fun athletic act", with fast-paced jumping and energy throughout. I don't know if I could pay money to watch too much of that, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

SH'Boss Boys...yeah, that dance was cheesy. They're decent rappers (despite the fact I hate rap), but the dancing did nothing...and the backup dancers in the background were distracting.

...why the hell did Mauricio make it this far? He is a complete joke- he has an awful voice and doesn't even put on that great of a show.

Seth Grabel...could have been better. It wasn't bad, and it was nice to see a different illusion be attempted for once with the escape act...but it was confusing at points. Where was the tar? And why did it appear as if he escaped before he fell in?

Poplyfe would have been better if they didn't do that damn overplayed Adele song...and butcher it, no less.  They're a decent band...but that song just wasn't right.

Piers is right. Ian's yo-yo act is boring. To quote Howie...Ian is "a really good birthday party".

As much as I don't like singers on this show, Landau is an exception. He has an amazing voice, and puts on a good show. I'd pay money to watch that.

Purrfect Angels' act was completely uncoordinated and poorly timed. They did have some really cool rope-in-air tricks, with the one girl swinging from the rope in mid-air...but the actual dance itself was subpar. Piers is right...they don't have enough to win the competition.

Who is Monet? They didn't show her (or her story) at all during the audition phase, and she was only shown being put through in Vegas...that's just really bad. Cut out some of the rejected acts if you want, but don't cut out the quarterfinalists!  Her voice is lacking, but she does have potential.

I couldn't watch Captain and Maybelle's act...that was nasty.

Lys Agnes also isn't "an obligatory singer pick". She's remarkably talented, with an amazing voice, and the presentation of her performance was extremely slick, and stands out from virtually all of the other singers.  She also had the "look" going as well...it was remarkable and entertaining to watch. I have no idea what Piers had been drinking during her act...it was the one performance where I actually disagreed with him.

Wow! A world record was made by Professor Splash! That segment was obviously prerecorded a couple nights ago...but it was still fun. I want to see what he does with fire...

This week is a bit harder...but I'll go with vader's four.  I can't wait for next week...quite a few acts I'm looking forward to...

Yay! Fighting Gravity! :-D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:35:55 PM by cu2010 »

Offline kishy214

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Allen's Rock Band Videos on Youtube
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
Glad all the acts that made it did. I was a little surprised Professor Splash was left for the judge's decision but also a little... not. The sense of height doesn't translate well to television so the judges definitely were able to get a much different perception of him than the TV audience.

I'm also pretty pleased with the switching up of the eliminations, it's about time we broke the "3 come up, 2 go down" cycle.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
I'm fairly pleased with the results from last night. I am not, however, pleased with how that episode was produced.

I'm not a fan of the "eliminate two acts from the top" thing. When Poplyfe and Landau came up together, it was quite obvious that they would both go through...

But that's far from the biggest gripes I had. That bit with the Smurfs was completely stupid and a complete waste of time. They also focused a lot more time towards the guests this week than in the past, with Stevie Nicks going twice during the show (though she was awesome, as always)...and Fighting Gravity had an extremely short act. It seemed to me that the theme of this week's results episode was "let's waste everyone's time".

I can't wait for next week, though...lots of acts I'm looking forward to seeing again.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
This might be the first year a singer doesn't win.    Yes Terry Fator was a ventriloquist, but he still sang.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
Here we go, week 4 summary time.

I feel sorry for The Kinetic King. I don't know what could have happened either. Unfortunately that's live TV for you.

Zuma Zuma were good, not as good as their audition in my opinion, but still pretty good.

Avery and the Calico Hearts may have a career for awhile as kids entertainment, but I don't know if they're worthy enough to make it all the way to the top.

I completely agree with Piers about Charles Peachock, MUCH better than Sharon or Howie gave him credit for, to get things THAT right with the piano and juggling approximately 7 or 8 balls is impressive to me.

Ohhhh Sam B. He's certainly fun, and I respect him for being as fun of an act as he is. Do I think it's worth a million dollar show in Vegas, no. But he knows his style and he knows he's fun.

Taylor Davis was better than Piers and Sharon gave him credit for, but I still don't think in my heart it'll be enough to go through.

Melissa was interesting. Things like her Owen Wilson were spot on, but I found a couple of her impressions (like Sharon) off. She might be one of my judges choice acts, but I don't know about top 3.

Scott Alexander...I don't know. I appreciate the scale and the somewhat humor of it being a gospel choir, but I don't know how far a magician can go in this competition just making things disappear.

Fatally Unique was good, just don't know if I would go wow for them. At least much better technically than Sam B.

Yellow Designs Stunt Team probably would have been an easy pick for my top 3 if it weren't for the fall, they still may be near the top, but it's something to consider.

Frank Miles is somewhat int he same league as Yellow Designs, although to be fair at least the crossbow didn't screw up to the point where he could have died. This is another one that might be worthy of a shot, because missing the donut aside, it was pretty impressive.

Team iLuminate certainly w s impressive. Definitely worthy of a spot in the next round and at least the finals.

My personal top 4, I'll go with Team iLuminate, Yellow Design Stunt Team, Zuma Zuma, and Frank Miles, and I think the 4 that go through will be iLuminate, Melissa, Fatally Unique, and Zuma Zuma.

Season 39 CSS Stats:

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
...what was up with that intro? Instead of starting out with the usual "this week on AGT" clip, it just abruptly and awkwardly...started. I understand why Nick had to come out in the forklift above the stage, but just abruptly starting...it looked bad, and looked as if it was done because they were having technical difficulties. (And, for heaven's sake, turn down the audience noise!)

Ouch on Kinetic King. The guy spent so long getting his whole thing set up, and I'm sure it would have been awesome...but something just went wrong, and you just have to feel bad for the poor guy. It happens. At least he and Nick were able to get a few laughs out of the whole thing.

I think Piers' comment about pole dancing to Zuma Zuma was supposed to be a jab at Steven Retchless... :lol:

Avery and the Calico Hearts...yeah. They're decent for young kids, and I fully agree with Unique that they might sell some albums to other kids...but as serious entertainment, they're nowhere near up to par.

What the heck, Sharon and Howie? You didn't find Charles Peachock entertaining? That horn was completely obnoxious and uncalled for, too...it seems as if Howie's going out of his way to annoy Piers. I will admit, the piano bit WAS fake- the balls were not actually hitting the keys at all, so it had to have been programmed- but he still hit the piano with precision and juggled the balls to make it entertaining.

I never jumped on the whole Sam B bandwagon. Seeing a guy move around like an idiot for two minutes is not entertainment to me. If it weren't for the women behind him, I'd have probably just stopped watching and moved right on to the next act...

Taylor wasn't that bad at all...I didn't notice him off-key at all. It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad, either.

Melissa wasn't as sharp this time around. A few of her impressions were funny, and I did have a laugh when she started to do Sharon (even if it was off)...but the impressions as a whole were nowhere near up to the same quality as the audition that left me laughing throughout.

I appreciate Scott's showmanship this time around, and it was a lot more fun than his previous acts...but he did perform the oldest trick in the book, and the curtain rustling behind the box gave the trick away a little bit.

I like Fatally Unique. After that disaster in Vegas, they stepped it up, had a well-choreographed act that was executed flawlessly. I enjoyed the military theme, and it was a nice tribute to the men and women serving our country overseas.

Yellow Designs Stunt Team did have a really cool set, with the card ramps, and it was a really fantastic act. There was one slight mistake, with the one guy falling off his bike...but it's still a tremendous act nonetheless. It had exciting stunts, great presentation, and I would pay money to see this in Vegas.

I think Frank Miles could have worked with the whole "bolt not hitting the doughnut" thing a bit better (I would have just proceeded to call it "dinner", saying that it was intentional, and taken a bite out of it)...but overall, it was impressive. Dangerous, exciting, and death-defying.

Team iLuminate = Vegas. I definitely like them better than Fighting Gravity, because their act involves a lot more. It's very excellent dancing, but the most impressive part is the programming of the lights and the choreography together to make it look that much more impressive.  They are my overall favorite to win this whole competition.

My top four of the week are iLuminate, Yellow Design, Frank Miles, and Fatally Unique. Overall, aside from the fiasco at the top of the show, this was easily the most consistent of the quarterfinal shows in terms of talent quality.