Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 6/14/2011  (Read 30329 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: TPiR Recap - 6/14/2011
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
But then he put the $16995 Titanium spa in a showcase with a roughly $6K trip to Puerto Rico(at least those were the prices of the prizes when last on the show, and the PR trip was at that hotel, but the extras were a little different both times). And since the Showcase was $34K, that means the dining room patio was over $10K.
I don't see how this relates to my point. Mike put sexed up stuff in this showcase, thinking it was the only one going to be won, and wanting most of it declined.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »
Are people complaining because 5 was used as a fake, or because the actual price didn't end in 0 or 5? Would you have been OK with it if her choices had been 9 and 4, or do you think the game should be limited to cars whose prices end in 0 or 5 with the fake being the other one?

If the contestant had followed the "arbitrary rule," she would have been wrong. It's not like she guessed 590 in Ten Chances and the correct answer turned out to be 509.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »
Are people complaining because 5 was used as a fake, or because the actual price didn't end in 0 or 5?
Both, in a sense. If the choices had been 9 and 4, it would have become completely random like $500, but not as bad, although I still would have been upset they strayed from the path. But with both, that's just Mike trying to go beyond what he should be doing in budget mode.

The game has been limited to -0 and -5 cars, and the last prize should be constituted of 0s and 5s.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
Boy I have to admit that Mikey was in "tag-teamed body slam" today. Some of the contestants had him. It was actually disappointing to see that not only did we have 2 wins today, but the other 4 games that were lost were all considered "close, but no cigars".

Temptation- I'll admit I thought she lost immediately when she called a 9 for the last number. Unfortunately she was still wrong on the previous number.

Those prizes did look hard to handle. I know they're all about the models looking good on camera, but what they should've did was either have another model help Rachel or used an "L-cart" as we call them in many work places. And just so everyone knows, an L-cart is simply used for over-sized items when transporting them and has a handle for easier steering.

OWP- That was a no-brainer.

Bullseye- when he was wrong on the cupcakes, I had a hunch that's where the hidden bullseye was.

That's too Much- That's too darned ashamed! :( The ARP was just as nasty!

Secret X- wow this one was set up for a win and it still went south!

Showcases- What were the prizes in the second Showcase? I don't remember seeing any. All I saw were three gorgeous women! Truthfully they could've replaced the models the whole show and I don't think I would've cared! And again, boy did Richards get a Royal Smackdown today. I thought when Drew was revealing the ARP for the 2nd showcase that she had gone just over, but Drew sure fooled us!

I think it was a pretty good show over all!
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
9 was actually the last number in Temptation?  That was just evil.  Somehow, Paula got that number right.  If only she hadn't put 1 as the fourth digit, which was totally dumb...

My showcase bids:
Puerto Rico--$18,107
WWE--$25,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »
This was easily the best guest showcase they've ever done.  It wasn't overblown, it didn't take a huge chunk of time out of the rest of the show (although there were still a few spots that seemed noticeably edited), the Divas actually seemed excited about being there, and the whole thing even made sense.  Bravo to everyone involved for getting it right for once!

It's too bad I can't say the same about Temptation.  That was an absolutely horrible setup, with some ridiculously expensive gifts and some terribly mean fakes.  I'm astounded that the contestant came as close to winning as she did.

The double showcase win was the highlight of my day.  I'm sure it wasn't the highlight of Mike's, though. :)

Up to this point, Mike had kept all hidden rules intact.

You mean like always having Pathfinder's path go somewhere and never having all the numbers in One Away be the same color?

ANOTHER DSW! THAT IS A RECORD!

Does anyone really have the slightest idea how many DSWs seasons in the '70s and '80s had?

(Hint:  No.)

And a literal trip down the street? That's okay girls, you sold it the best you could.

Now, see, I didn't even notice this, because it wasn't presented as a trip -- it was presented as tickets to an event.

Like I said, a lot of surprising things went right with this showcase.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:18 PM »
You mean like always having Pathfinder's path go somewhere and never having all the numbers in One Away be the same color?

Now, see, I didn't even notice this, because it wasn't presented as a trip -- it was presented as tickets to an event.
I suppose the concept of hidden rules, setup guidelines & tradition is muddled... the two you mentioned could be considered in that line as well. This feels more blatant to me for some reason though.

They did mention a one night stay at some hotel. No limo, airplane or anything of course, but still.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:21:40 PM by Wayoshi »

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
Nice DSW today!
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »
The game has been limited to -0 and -5 cars, and the last prize should be constituted of 0s and 5s.

When the last choice is 0-or-5, how often is each one the correct choice? Is it always 0 or always 5? (That's a serious question. I don't pay that much attention to those details.) If each one is a plausible choice, and it's not always obvious which one is correct (as it is with the 10C Zero Rule), then there's no difference in difficulty and "fairness" between a choice of 0-or-5 and a choice of 9-or-4, or any other combination. I can see why people think 9-or-5 was a curveball when the 9 turned out to be correct, but she did make the right choice.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:22:34 PM by JohnHolder »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
When the last choice is 0-or-5, how often is each one the correct choice? Is it always 0 or always 5? ... I can see why people think 9-or-5 was a curveball when the 9 turned out to be correct, but she did make the right choice.
It can be either, but -0 / -5 are what people tend to expect. Any fake 0 or fake 5 is automatically evil.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
When the last choice is 0-or-5, how often is each one the correct choice? Is it always 0 or always 5? (That's a serious question. I don't pay that much attention to those details.)

This is the only time in at least the last 12 years that the last digit has been something other than 5 or 0.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
It can be either, but -0 / -5 are what people tend to expect. Any fake 0 or fake 5 is automatically evil.
This is the only time in at least the last 12 years that the last digit has been something other than 5 or 0.

Gotcha. But, Wayoshi, I'm wondering why you think the game should be limited to 0-or-5 and never something else-or-something else, when 0-or-5 is no easier to win than 9-or-4.

Is it possible that the wider variety of cars offered on the show is responsible for things like this, and Lucky Seven prices ending in 2 or 9? Does that mean we want fewer different cars on the show?

ETA: I'm watching it online now, and just saw Rachel struggling with the shoe display. If she needed help with it, isn't that something that should have been covered in the run-through? They shouldn't find out on the air that there's a problem with the presentation.

ETAx2: And struggling with the dinnerware.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:43:55 PM by JohnHolder »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
When the last choice is 0-or-5, how often is each one the correct choice? Is it always 0 or always 5?

Until today and the playing 12 or so years ago, probably the only time the last digit was anything other than "0" or "5" was back in the earliest playings of the 1970s, before these "hidden rules" took effect.

Brian

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
Gotcha. But, Wayoshi, I'm wondering why you think the game should be limited to 0-or-5 and never something else-or-something else, when 0-or-5 is no easier to win than 9-or-4.

a. Is it possible that the wider variety of cars offered on the show is responsible for things like this, and Lucky Seven prices ending in 2 or 9? Does that mean we want fewer different cars on the show?

ETA: I'm watching it online now, and just saw Rachel struggling with the shoe display. If she needed help with it, isn't that something that should have been covered in the run-through? They shouldn't find out on the air that there's a problem with the presentation.

ETAx2: And struggling with the dinnerware.

a. Um...not at all. Even with the "wider variety" of cars, Temptation has still stayed with xxxx0 or xxxx5.

And the problem is that it makes the game easier with those type of prices are shown (e.g. ones with only one of the two numbers). Taking out that hidden rule makes the game harder, which is bad, considering that the game hasn't been won in over four years.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »
a. Um...not at all. Even with the "wider variety" of cars, Temptation has still stayed with xxxx0 or xxxx5.

And the problem is that it makes the game easier with those type of prices are shown (e.g. ones with only one of the two numbers).

Oh. Got it. That hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for the clarification.

ETA: I get it that the game is easier when the choice is (0 or 5) vs. (some other number). What I don't get is why people seem to think that a choice between 0 or 5 is easier than a choice between any two other numbers.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:56:34 PM by JohnHolder »