Author Topic: Wheel's New Season  (Read 14564 times)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: Wheel's New Season
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
You even got the rules wrong-after R3, all Prizes, the $1,000,000 wedge, and the Free Play (?) are removed, and if Pat lands on Bankrupt or Lose a Turn, $1,000 is awarded per each consonant.
I swear I've seen him spin a Bankrupt and they go with it. WOFLovers mods?
I've still got that feeling that it's been done that way...

Please stop, no point in persisting something happened when it didn't.

If that rule was in place, we would never have had this gem

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
Transform? What, like mutate or regenerate? You've been reading too much Marvel... if Pat ever does land on the Free Play wedge, he's just going to spin it again and they'll edit out the bad spin.

Or they'll count it as a $500-per-consonant space, as it is during the game, so if it's hit in the Speed-Up, it'll be worth $1500. Just a reasonably educated guess on my part.

ETA: If the Final Spin hits BR or LaT, Pat spins again. It used to be left in the show, but now it's edited out. I assume the same would be true if, for some reason, the first three rounds went so long that the Speed-Up happened during R3 when there were still prizes on the wheel (that is, the prize wedge and gift tag weren't removed prior to the FS).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:48:47 PM by JohnHolder »

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
Please stop, no point in persisting something happened when it didn't.

If that rule was in place, we would never have had this gem

Was trying to create drama really necessary? I already said I'll take their word for it.

And for the record, that situation happened long before the $1,000 per consonant rule was added.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 11:01:24 PM »
Was trying to create drama really necessary? I already said I'll take their word for it.

Believe me, I wasnt trying to create drama, I was just trying to stop you from being stubborn and only believing a WOF board mod....Also, the "Ill take your word for it" was followed by a but and more stubbornness. Let's be nice and get this thread back on track and try to find someone who went to a taping, shall we?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
Believe me, I wasnt trying to create drama, I was just trying to stop you from being stubborn and only believing a WOF board mod....Also, the "Ill take your word for it" was followed by a but and more stubbornness. Let's be nice and get this thread back on track and try to find someone who went to a taping, shall we?

I apologize. It was not my intent to be stubborn. Just wanted extra confirmation from something I long believed to be true.

Guess it's just true in my head....

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 12:26:33 AM »
I assume the same would be true if, for some reason, the first three rounds went so long that the Speed-Up happened during R3 when there were still prizes on the wheel (that is, the prize wedge and gift tag weren't removed prior to the FS).
From what I understand about the show, this shall never be the case. Even if the first three rounds take so long that it would warrant a Final Spin during R3, the show will always "force" the third Toss-Up and R4 just to have the Final Spin at that point...and the game will be severely edited to compensate.

To put it another way, the show has four commercial breaks -- one after each of the first three rounds, and another following the game. Ending the game after R3 would require placing that fourth break either 1) after the Bonus Round, which has not been done in some time or 2) during one of the first three rounds, which has not been done in an even longer time and would result in the first utterance of "Turn your backs." in about two decades or so.

(No, I do not have the pleasure of being connected to Wheel, either.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:37:05 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 09:22:09 AM »
 If the FS is in R3, that means by definition that there's no time for anything happening after that, including the third Toss-Up. The only way to "severely edit" that in order to force T-U3 and R4 would be to edit out some gameplay from the first three rounds, and I don't see how they can do that without affecting the presentation of the game. Nor do I think they'd interrupt a round to insert a commercial.

The third Toss-Up is there to take away what used to be the red player's automatic advantage in a four-round game of starting two rounds (1 and 4) while yellow only got to start R2 and blue, R3. If there are only three rounds played, then each player got to start exactly one.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 10:11:30 AM »
If the FS is in R3, that means by definition that there's no time for anything happening after that, including the third Toss-Up. The only way to "severely edit" that in order to force T-U3 and R4 would be to edit out some gameplay from the first three rounds, and I don't see how they can do that without affecting the presentation of the game. Nor do I think they'd interrupt a round to insert a commercial.

The third Toss-Up is there to take away what used to be the red player's automatic advantage in a four-round game of starting two rounds (1 and 4) while yellow only got to start R2 and blue, R3. If there are only three rounds played, then each player got to start exactly one.

They do edit out three turns in a row from time to time if they all involve either spinning Bankrupt(with nothing lost) and/or Lose a turn, or  picking a letter not in the puzzle. THey've never not played a fourth maingame round in the toss up era. The only three round maingames in the playing for cash era were in November 1990 during a home sweepstakes and in September 1997 during the Ohio State Fair. In the 1990 episodes, I seem to recall seeing $1500 $2500 and $5000 on the wheel in round three, going from 21 year old memory. During the Ohio episodes, the top dollar value in the last round was $3500, meaning no $5000 space on this episodes. Wonder if they'd find a way to make the game end in six rounds even if the puzzles were solved fast enough where there'd be time for a seventh round. And if there were time for a seventh round, would they squeeze in a toss up puzzle to see who starts the round? I remember one or two seven round maingames in the pre-Toss Up era. A Goen episode had six maingame rounds and played a tiebreaker speed up to break a tie(on the Chuck/Pat/Rolf, or at least Pat/Rolf daytime show, if it was not a special week of shows, the three players would return on the next show to determine a champion)

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
That's I have a feeling if Pat landed on the Free Play wedge.

:roll: If he did, they would certianly edit it out. Why would the make a $500 space $1,000 anyway? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it in the early days the the FREE PLAY that is was removed after Round 3? I may be wrong....
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
If the FS is in R3, that means by definition that there's no time for anything happening after that, including the third Toss-Up. The only way to "severely edit" that in order to force T-U3 and R4 would be to edit out some gameplay from the first three rounds, and I don't see how they can do that without affecting the presentation of the game.

They could butcher/retape the interviews, they could cut out pretty much all of the wheel spinning (jumping straight from the contestant's spin to the wheel stopping), and there's the aforementioned editing of three consecutive bad spins...there's plenty they could do to force enough time for a Tossup and Speedup a trivially-easy puzzle (TENNESSEE, for example - but I don't think Wheel can change their puzzles on the fly the way Feud changes their Double-round question).
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
They could butcher/retape the interviews, they could cut out pretty much all of the wheel spinning (jumping straight from the contestant's spin to the wheel stopping), and there's the aforementioned editing of three consecutive bad spins...there's plenty they could do to force enough time for a Tossup and Speedup a trivially-easy puzzle (TENNESSEE, for example - but I don't think Wheel can change their puzzles on the fly the way Feud changes their Double-round question).

With the modern puzzle board, they probably could change them during the show if they needed to. Has it been proven or disproven that they've done it? No.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
there's plenty [Wheel] could do to force enough time for a Tossup and Speedup a trivially-easy puzzle (TENNESSEE, for example - but I don't think Wheel can change their puzzles on the fly the way Feud changes their Double-round question).
Or throw out rounds willy-nilly for not passing an unstated threshold.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline tadixon757

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
And if there were time for a seventh round, would they squeeze in a toss up puzzle to see who starts the round?

They would not have a Toss-Up puzzle to see who starts the seventh round if there is one. I've actually seen it happen only once so far in the Toss-Up era. It happened about nine years ago.
-- Thad Dixon

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 08:35:07 PM »
Or throw out rounds willy-nilly for not passing an unstated threshold.

THere were a couple occasions at least on Dawson Feud where a question was seen on air and was then thrown out for various reasons. A question about naming a famous G-T show was thrown out because RIchard asked whether TTTT was the longest running game show and one of the staffers said What's my Line, which was on the survey so the question was thrown out. A few other questions were thrown out because they went to six or more players with no right answer given.