Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011  (Read 72178 times)

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
Re: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »
Thrilling Race Game Win!  What is  0200A?  I forgot.

Joe

200A is the classic cue for the prizes in Race Game, Take Two, and the now-retired Buy or Sell. It's used in this video.

The only cue we "allow" as an alternative to this cue is 204, which is the Phone Home Game Cue.

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »
What is  0200A?  I forgot.

0200A is also referred to as the "normal" '83 Race Game cue. IIRC, the last few times Race Game has been played, 0200A has not been used.

It's worth noting that Mike mentioned a while back that a few of the classic cues will be returning. I'll hold off judgement until I see a few shows during S40, but I would hope 0200A is one of those cues that makes a permanent comeback. Race Game just isn't the same without it.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
0200A is also referred to as the "normal" '83 Race Game cue. IIRC, the last few times Race Game has been played, 0200A has not been used.

It's worth noting that Mike mentioned a while back that a few of the classic cues will be returning. I'll hold off judgement until I see a few shows during S40, but I would hope 0200A is one of those cues that makes a permanent comeback. Race Game just isn't the same without it.

Tyler

The same Mike also said Check Game and Credit Card were returning. Take everything he says very lightly.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
Drew just does enough to 'Get By" on most days.  He is so used to comic improv, that he can't be consistent with game rules and explanations.  After three years, it's not going to get any better.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Other than, Drew's training and background for television hosting is different than Bob Barker's. Bob's was in radio, and I would have expected similar complaints if he hosted "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

So stop holding Drew's mediocre hosting against him.

Brian

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2011, 04:52:15 PM »

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not but it made me laugh out loud.  :oldlol:  That's kinda like saying, "Just sit back and enjoy the show and don't say anything negative about Drew's hosting. He can't help it if he's only average. It's not his fault!"

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »

Who should I hold it against, then?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »

No.

If Drew really had a clue about broadcasting, he'd have realized by now that The Price Is Right is significantly different from anything else he's ever done and would have attempted to alter his performance to make it fit the show instead of trying (and failing) to force the show to fit him.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:05:53 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
It's In The Bag:  Bummer! :-(
Flip Flop:  Nice win! :-)
That's Too Much:  Too bad, although I thought that was funny that Nedda thought she had won.
Gah. That's Too Much! and Cliff Hangers repeated. That's Too Ridiculous! Though That's Too Much! was weird with that contestant's odd celebration, thinking she won. Brian's right, maybe they should dump the Check Game-esque reveal.
IMO, they should just dump the whole darn game!
Race Game:  Awesome win! :biggrin:
Range Game:  How evil was that price!
Cliff Hangers:  Shoulda went 20, 30, 40! :-(

An "ehhhh" show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
No.

If Drew really had a clue about broadcasting, he'd have realized by now that The Price Is Right is significantly different from anything else he's ever done and would have attempted to alter his performance to make it fit the show instead of trying (and failing) to force the show to fit him.

Then why don't they fire him, like it appears they should have years ago? The plain and simple fact is, he is NOT going to change his performance because he doesn't want to. It's apparent to all of us that he isn't going to change. He just WON'T, for the last time. That's why I don't want you to hold it against him -- hold it against CBS and anyone else who suggested hiring Drew in the first place. And hold it against the friggin contestant who didn't study on the game, as even with a mediocre or bad explanation should have known enough about the game to know how it is played (the FIRST price tag that is over the ARP).

I just don't want a phony Barker clone to host the show. And there's a lot of them out there. (FTR, I would have suggested Bob Eubanks -- he seems like the most genial and talented host out there that was available, and he was still fairly young (not yet 70 in 2007).)

The plain and simple fact is, Drew does have a clue about broadcasting, he does realize that TPiR is significantly different from shows like WLIIA and knows it takes a different hosting style ...  but won't because he'd be a robot. Or something like that ... something he doesn't want to be.

Brian
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:33:05 PM by Briguy »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
Who should I hold it against, then?

CBS and/or anyone else who decided to hire him in the first place. As I recall, Drew did not actively campaign to be the host of this show -- only Wosie O'Donnell (and yes, that is a deliberate misspelling) did.

THEY should have realized Drew's training is in improv, and that he is just plain outside his comfort zone when hosting a game show that is about as different from "Whose Line," et al, as possible. Drew is not stupid or dumb as some have seemed to imply on this board ... he is just plain unwilling to change because he believes his performances are "good enough."

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not but it made me laugh out loud.  :oldlol:  That's kinda like saying, "Just sit back and enjoy the show and don't say anything negative about Drew's hosting. He can't help it if he's only average. It's not his fault!"

So do you believe I would also, for example, go to a school board meeting to defend a high school girls' basketball coach who was "only average" and a nice guy and that medocrity is OK? Or a classroom teacher who was being considered for termination because she was "just average" but a complete knockout? Whenever did I defend Drew as being the world's greatest game show host? If you've read my posts in the past, I have been quite hard on him many times .. but the difference is I've also put a burden on the contestants because even if they are read the rules before the game, they still should know something about what they're going to do beforehand and not go in completely blind.

Bad contestants more than anything, more than Drew's mediocre hosting or however you want to rate his explanations, is ruining TPiR. The "That's Too Much!" contestant was a case in point. If it were to go to court (i.e., she files a lawsuit against the show claiming she won the game based on her interpretation Drew's explanation), she'd be buired alive by the jury.

Brian
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:47:52 PM by Briguy »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2011, 09:53:04 PM »
Then why don't they fire him, like it appears they should have years ago?
It has been stated several times that Fremantle has wanted him gone but CBS refuses. I, personally, try to enjoy Drew.

CBS and/or anyone else who decided to hire him in the first place. As I recall, Drew did not actively campaign to be the host of this show
Nina Tassler was the one responsible, as CBS wanted a "name" celebrity. Drew even stated that he had not really seen the show and turned them down, to which CBS threw more money at him until he finally agreed.

I've also put a burden on the contestants because even if they are read the rules before the game, they still should know something about what they're going to do beforehand and not go in completely blind.
Such people appear to be discouraged by the current regime, primarily due to that perfect bid three years ago. They thought Roger had exacted his revenge over being fired, which resulted in Drew mumbling his way through and the beginning of designer crap and outlandish Showcase prizes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:55:32 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »
he does realize that TPiR is significantly different from shows like WLIIA and knows it takes a different hosting style ...  but won't because he'd be a robot.

How the hell would that be any different than the way he hosts now?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »
but the difference is I've also put a burden on the contestants because even if they are read the rules before the game, they still should know something about what they're going to do beforehand and not go in completely blind.

While it'd certainly benefit contestants to know as much as possible about the show before they go out to California to see it, most people simply do not have the time or interest (and who can blame them) to prepare for The Price is Right by learning the rules to all the pricing games and knowing all the tricks beforehand (Of course, . Having to do all that would make the experience tedious, I'm sure. It's a fun show, not one a person is supposed to spend hours preparing for, like Jeopardy! or some other quiz show. I've noticed in your comments before that you always seem to infer that people are morons (or at least completely foolish) if they don't spend hours in preparation to be on The Price is Right. You just can't expect average people, many of whom are vacationing, to learn the rules and tricks for several dozen pricing games, not to mention the other aspects of the show. That just isn't realistic. It's things like that people go to Price is Right to get a break from.

Of course, you didn't explicitly state they should learn "all" the pricing games and spend "hours" doing it, but to know "a little something" and be prepared the way you seem to expect them to would indeed take hours.

I'd be curious to know exactly how you expect contestants to prepare for The Price is Right, so they won't go in "completely blind."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:20:15 AM by temptation1979ga »

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
I'd be curious to know exactly how you expect contestants to prepare for The Price is Right, so they won't go in "completely blind."

Watch the show?

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
How the hell would that be any different than the way he hosts now?

At least he gets to be "creative," not be a Barker-clone, which is what I think you and several others on here expect sometimes ... even if you haven't outright said it. Even if that isn't your true belief, it comes across that way (to me at least). If Drew doesn't do something the way Bob would have done it, he gets tarred and feathered, and that doesn't set well with me.

Continuing on the "robot" thought: I had a chance to see a clip online of TPiR Live! and while Todd Newton certainly was much better, the clip of him hosting a playing of Cliffhangers was a little stiff. I surely don't believe that was typical, but ... . (And FTR, Todd was also among my choices to take over for Bob. Chuck Woolery was another.)

In response to whomever said Freemantle wants Drew gone: then I think Freemantle ought to get some balls and exert their power. It's THEIR SHOW, not CBS's.

They don't have to watch EVERY show. Even a week's worth, so they know at least what's going on. Yeah, that only shows them 30 games, which is all they seem to play these days (from the 70-plus in the currently active lineup) ... but by watching even five shows -- which is not that hard -- they give themselves a fighting chance.

Brian
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:08:01 AM by Briguy »