Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011  (Read 72188 times)

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011
« on: August 19, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - //

Episode #5623K (Back to School 2011)
Aired: 8/19/2011; Tape Date 6/2/2011
Models: Rachel Reynolds (Issue), Amber Lancaster, Gwendolyn Osborne (Issue)
Drew Entrance: Door #2
Mic Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating:

First IUFB: iPad 2 (16GB 3G+WiFi, Smart Cover; ARP: $668) (Amber)

JESSICA SARA KENYATTA CANDACE WINNER
$950 $650 $525 $860 SARA

Sara is playing It's in the Bag! (Gwendolyn and Rachel)

TAG 49¢ $19.99 $4.49 $3.69 $2.49 LEFTOVER
CHOICE Nissin Cup Noodles ramen SanDisk Cruzer 4GB flash drive Totino's Pizza Rolls Post-It Flag Pen Red Bull (16oz) Filler Paper
ACTUAL Nissin Cup Noodles ramen SanDisk Cruzer 4GB flash drive Totino's Pizza Rolls Red Bull (16oz) Filler Paper Post-It Flag Pen
DECISION GO ON GO ON GO ON LOSS    

Second IUFB: Travel backpacks (The North Face; ARP: $558) (Gwendolyn and Amber)

Jessica JOHNNY Kenyatta Candace WINNER
$402
LOL!!!
$400 $401
DUH!!!
$350 JESSICA

Jessica is playing Flip Flop for a train trip across Europe. (RT coach LA to London, 13d European rail tour Contiki Vacation Tours) (Rachel)

ORIGINAL 89 49
GUESS 89 94
ARP 89 94
ARP: $8,994 *WIN*

Third IUFB: Pair of cell phones (LG Optimus S; 1yr 450min plan; ARP: $1,440) (George Gray)

NEDDA Johnny Kenyatta Candace WINNER
$1300 $630 $850 $1560 NEDDA

Nedda is playing That's Too Much (Drew: "I haven't seen this game since Yesterday! in forever!") for a Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab. (2.9-litre engine, 3mo XM Satellite Radio) (Gwendolyn)

$15,620 $17,810 $19,980 $21,590 $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
  ARP: $19,269 LOSS            

She thought she won at first, lol...

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Sara $668 10 40 50
Nedda $1,440 70 STAY 70
Jessica $9,552 90 N/A *SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Set of 4 designer watches (Diesel; ARP: $580) (overhead platform)

BRAKEL Johnny Kenyatta Candace WINNER
$1259 $900 $400 $800 KENYATTA

Kenyatta is playing Race Game.

4pc designer accessories(Mark Jacobs) (Rachel) Mac Pro (3GB RAM, 1TB HDD) (Rachel and Gwendolyn) Zuma 125 motorscooter (Gwendolyn and Amber) 7pc home theatre system (Bose) (Amber) NUMBER RIGHT TIME LEFT
$976 $3618 $2999 $1999 4
*WIN*
:30
$976 $3618 $2999 $1999 ARPs
$9,592

Fifth IUFB: Barbecue grill (Fuego Element 01; ARP: $649) (Rachel)

Brakel Johnny PATRICK Candace WINNER
$502 $503 $549 $1550 PATRICK

Patrick is playing Range Game for a Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring Wagon. (2.0-litre engine, automatic transmission) (Amber)

Range: 17600-18200
Choice: 17740-17890
ARP: $18,000 LOSS

Apparently the vaycay hasn't been long enough. Then again, this show was taped the day after the last one, so of course the dumb is contagious. We'll never be short of mugshot machine candidates like Candace.

Sixth IUFB: 160GB iPod classic + headphones (Monster Beats by Dr. Dre; ARP: $549) (Amber and Gwendolyn)

Brakel Johnny KATHERINE Candace WINNER
$520 $651 $450 $650 ???

The joke's on Johnny. Candance heads over to get her mugshot taken, and Brakel is playing Cliff Hangers for Laundry service for a Year (Dorm Mom), Movie tickets for a Year (Fandango), Groceries for a Year, and Haircuts for a Year. (Fantastic Sam's; Total ARP: $5,981) (Rachel)

ITEMS (Gwendolyn) GUESS ACTUAL STEPS  
Single-cup coffee maker $20 $22 2  
Donut hole press $35 $25 10 13 steps to go
Pizza cooker $30 $45 15. Yodelly Guy tripped over a rock at the top again. LOSS

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Brakel $596 95 STAY *SHOWCASE*
Patrick $649 15 90 OVER
Kenyatta $10,172 20 15 35

SHOWCASE ROUND
Jessica has the honor...

SC1 - BRAKEL A+ SHOWCASE ROOM/CAR
BID: $25,000 50" Plasma HDTV (Panasonic) + Xbox 360 Elite (Kinect, 10 games) (Gwendolyn)
Air hockey (Escalade Sports) + foosball tables (all models)
Nissan Cube 1.8S (1.8-litre engine, X-Tronic CVT transmission, Interior Design Package) (Rachel)
ARP: $22,771
DIFF: OVER
LOSS $596
SC2 - JESSICA BACK TO SCHOOL IN STYLE
(all Amber)
HAWAII
BID: $21,000 365 pairs of shoes (Chinese Laundry)
$5,000 cash
Hawaii (RT coach LA to Maui, 6n The Westin Maui Resort & Spa)
ARP: $38,600
DIFF: $17,600
*WIN* $48,152

Show Results: 2 out of 6
Total Winnings: $61,667

THIS RECAP IS PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY KITCH

Quote from: Me, earlier today
I am beat after work. If it doesn't get done tonight, it will be done on Sunday because I have a full plate tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:38:01 PM by Kitch »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
Re: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »
Lineup:

It's in the Bag: L
Flip Flop: W
That's Too Much!: L
Race Game: W
Range Game: L
Cliff Hangers: L

Shoecase: Forget it!

Basically, my two points (and everyone else's) were proven with this show:
A.) Most special shows are really gimmick shows.
B.) 365 pairs of shoes are the dumbest prize ever.

It's in the Bag played out exactly how Mike wanted it. What an evil curveball to put in that filler paper.

Gah. That's Too Much! and Cliff Hangers repeated. That's Too Ridiculous! Though That's Too Much! was weird with that contestant's odd celebration, thinking she won. Brian's right, maybe they should dump the Check Game-esque reveal.

And as I said, the showcases sucked, and that's the plain truth.

Lineup was bad as well. Adam really needs to stop slotting It's in the Bag first and constantly playing Range Game for a car when it's the only car game in the half.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:59:05 PM by Guint »

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »
I think Baggy looked like a win right there.

Flip Flop was easy

That's Too Much, she thought she won.  FAIL

Race Game was a nice win on the 1st shot.

Range Game was just plain dumb.

Cliffhangers was so close.

To Me, It didn't really feel like a back to school episode

Is it just me or that girl who played flip flop should have dressed a little better?

Can't believe the shoecase was won. She'll be happy for the rest of her life.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 05:18:08 PM »
Flip Flop was easy

I didn't think Flip Flop was that easy. Usually, European tours=$$$$$$$$$$$. She's probably staying in some cheap hostel.

And frankly, I was expecting Push Over for that tour; it could've easily surpassed 5 digits.

Offline ausmic1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »
Pretty typical show today. But I thought Drew did a better job hosting that usual today  :-)

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
Well...I didn't get to see every second of this show, but I can't help but point out a few things:

It's In The Bag was pure evil, but there's no way I'd pay $2+ for a pack of filler paper. Those pens were kind of cool. If I didn't use my laptop to take notes (Word has a built-in highlighter), I'd probably seek out those pens.

That's Too Much! was just weird. I think it took her a while to figure out that you have to stop when you see a retail price that is just over the actual retail price of the car. She assumed that because she'd found a price that was over and reasonably close that she had won.

The Race Game win was awesome. It's been a long while since we saw someone win on the first try! Looks like 0200A is dead.

Range Game was a massive fail because of the contestant, but I thought it was totally winnable. I knew he was doomed from the start when he tried to stop the Range Finder without using the red button.

I would've won an extra $500 on the last One-Bid, in addition to winning Cliff Hangers. I watch the show with my grandmother whenever I decide to watch, and she could not believe I got the iPod and headphones right on the nose.

I didn't hear any indications that there were any shoes left off the shoe wall in the Shoecase, so I find what they did today perfectly acceptable. I hope storage space is not an issue for the winner!

Speaking of storage space, there really wasn't too much offered today that you couldn't put in a dorm or use on campus. For a show that caters specifically to college students like the one we saw today, this should be one of the top priorities in prize planning. If I won something cool, I wouldn't want to have to wait until summer vacation to use the prize (I'm looking at you, oversized boat from the last college special).

The show was average, but it was still enjoyable.

Tyler
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:47:01 PM by compdude512 »
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
OK, so here we are with what I think is the last Season 39 episode.  I'm still here, so obviously I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna stick around to see the changes in store for Season 40.  But at least one change has occurred before we've even ended all Season 39 business:  mt0708 will not be around in the new season... or any future season.  He got banned not long before the Priceless Summer, so we mercifully no longer have to put up with his asshattery or his lollielalia.

Now... on with the show!

No wonder I don't drink Red Bull.  It's $3.69 for one [French flag] can!

Is it me, or did it look like the That's Too Much! prop was pushed farther back than its normal staging?

I guess it was only a matter of time before somebody would misunderstand the rules of TTM as stated by Drew.  Mayim Bialik Nedda apparently thought that any price over the ARP of the truck would win.  But as most of us should know, those rules would be impractical cuz that would imply that a contestant could just go all the way to the last price and automatically win.  This is why Bob always emphasized that it needs to be the first price over the ARP.

Boo!  Race Game cue fail!  Yay!  Race Game exacta!

Range Game has been played for cars way too often this season.

I can't believe the Range Game car's price was exactly $18,000.  I think this is the first time that a car price has ended in 000 since the $16,000 PT Cruiser on the S35 premiere.  But I don't blame Patrick for trying to outthink Mike and stopping the range finder low.

For this being an all-students episode, I'm pleasantly surpised that nobody made a $420 bid.  A few players certainly got close to it, with bids of $402 and $520.

I know they offered 365 pairs of shoes once before, but somehow I underpriced them by $10,000 again.

My shoecase showcase bids:
Car--$25,107
Hawaii--$29,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline JonSea31

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
It's In The Bag:  She was on a roll, but blew it.

Flip Flop:  Too easy a win.

That's Too Much!:  Three words:  THAT'S TOO MUCH! for That's Too Much!  I hope we see even less playings of such game in Season 40, which starts one month from today.

Race Game:  Impressive win on the first try, but I've seen better.  And still no evidence of the 1983 Race Game cue (which was last heard back in March).  Makes me wonder if that particular cue is on the brink of retirement?

Range Game:  An unusual occurrence to see a car offered in this game, but it can happen.  And the second car offered that was lost.

Cliff Hangers:  A near cliff-hanger ending to the pricing games today with a very close win.

Showcases:  Heck.  Shoecase II was won.

Not that bad a show, it would have been more exciting if Triple Play would have been played.  And it turns out that Triple Play had only 3 playings this past season.  3 Strikes and Golden Road had 4 playings apiece.  Makes me wonder if they're holding Triple Play for the Season 40 premiere?

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
Just another end of the season show. They really need to learn end of season budget management, and it's rare you see them attempt to blatantly force losses as much as they did today. I also don't see why they needed to play That's Too Much and Cliff Hangers twice in the same week. In fact, the lineup in general was pretty bad - why do we need to keep playing It's In The Bag 1st, or play Range Game for a car 3 times in the last 2 months of the season? The latter sticks out as a bit too much of a budget technique. Produce a few less shows if you have to - it's just depressing to watch shows like this.

Oh, and the shoecase returned - we already explained why this was bad 4 months ago, but I guess it took them forever to build those sets, so you may as well use them. It did appear that all the shoes were actually displayed today, which made it a bit of an improvement from the last time, but it's still an impractical prize. It's good that the contestant that won them was excited though, especially since the other showcase was essentially a forced over - at least the right contestant ended up on stage to play for those shoes. They had to call a 7 women/2 men balance this time to do it though. It would have been funny if a guy got up on stage, passed the car and then wound up with SC2.

Oh, there were a couple redeeming moments today. The Race Game exacta was a great way to end that game's season. The TTM result at least provided some comedy - I've never seen a contestant be that enthusiastic about winning only to be told they lost before. Drew takes care well enough in his explanations to emphasize "JUST over the actual retail price" - it's rare that we get a contestant that dense. In all, it was fun to get an unexpected new episode mid-summer though, even if it was a bit of a downer because of the budget mode.

Timings:
It's In The Bag (6.5) - 5:09
Flip Flop (3.5) - 3:25
That's Too Much (5) - 3:48
Race Game (5) - 3:54
Range Game (4) - 3:21
Cliff Hangers (4.5) - 5:57
Total (28.5): 25:34

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 06:17:17 PM »
Cliff Hangers woulda been won if she knew what she was doing in guessing.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
Does anyone care to acknowledge the fact that the contestant was more excited about the shoes than any other prize in her showcase?
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
Outside of Drew's typically half-assed hosting, perhaps the most notable thing about this show was how crappy the directing was during Race Game.  It looked like Dimich was going out of his way to try a new style that it should have been obvious wasn't going to work.

Also, maybe the outcome of That's Too Much! should serve as a hint that Drew doesn't explain it all that well.  The phrase "just over the actual retail price" is kind of vague, not to mention terribly subjective and not necessarily an accurate description of the right answer on any given day.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline John92

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »
That's Too Much! - The contestant thinks she won. But she thought she heard the bell ringing. But Drew has to say "That's just over the actual retail price"

$19,850 $20,950

Red indicates her selection.  Green indicates the price that's just over the ARP of the truck.

Range Game - what a neat appearence by the guy who pressed the button to start the range.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
Return of the Shoecase.  :roll:  At least the contestant liked it.

Great Race Game win.

2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
We all knew this was going to be very blah, stumbling across the finish line, complete with a non-DOB but car-over SC setup... but TTM & Cliffy repeating, and doing Rangey for a car again are just really bad negatives.

I think 8k in Baggy wasn't too hard, but the paper would not have been chosen over the pens for 16, so whatever. At least Racey was an actual bright spot in the 5620s.

EDIT: Now that I think about it (only had 1 hour of sleep and was watching on plane :P), there was some other camera with a side angle as he placed $1999. It was a bit different, but I don't see how it didn't work.

Enough nitpicking on Drew. "Just over" implies the first one over.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:36:00 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...