Author Topic: 2/21/84 half hour Bakeoff day TPIR OB  (Read 2971 times)

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
2/21/84 half hour Bakeoff day TPIR OB
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:57:34 PM by trytobecharming »

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: 2/21/84 half hour Bakeoff day TPIR OB
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
TVlubber has the 2/21/84 half hour episode of TPIR on Pillsbury Bakeoff day from the original brodcast athttp://youtube.com/user/TVLubber?blend=6&ob=5#p/u/0/kKkx1dVdeAk

I tried but the link ain't working, as I typed it in from that person's page.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
I tried but the link ain't working, as I typed it in from that person's page.

You have to open the video itself...you can't link it from that person's homepage.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
You have to open the video itself...you can't link it from that person's homepage.

Someday Zach will get it right :)

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »
Some questions/comments:

- Anyone know who Holly's sub was?  I've seen about 5-10 episodes from this era, and she and Chanel (the blonde model who appeared for several months before this episode aired) are the only ones that I have seen appear.  I thought I had read somewhere on this site that they had an African-American model sub for Holly around this time, as well.

- What is the name of the song/cue that played during the catamaran description for Cliff Hangers?

- Regina is VERY lucky that she won Clock Game.  I don't think there is much more that you can really say about her...she didn't seem all that excited to be there.

- Man, they really offered a lot of vacuums back then...most Splendido/living room showcases had one for a couple of years in the early 80s.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »
A couple more things of note:

* Bob's mentions of this being a half-hour show struck me as being somewhat like Drew when there is a guest on.

* Money Game used the "corner-to-corner" trick. I had thought for certain they were going to go the "El Cheapo" route with 17.

* Was that Kathy Greco popping into view after Money Game? It certainly looked like her.

* That $49 guess for a sweater in Cliff Hangers pretty much killed any odds of her winning. I truly thought she was going to lose right then and there.

* Regina pretty clearly did not want to be there.

* Unless I miscounted, there are still three consolation prizes. The "I Love You" heart-balloon (which I thought was quite sweet) suggests that this episode was recorded on Valentine's Day.

* (sigh) An xx420 Showcase bid.

* The show is still listed as "A Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production", which puts this very close to the point where Todman's credit was dropped; the FAQ says the credit was dropped by April 9.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:18:08 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »
Just to clarify, nobody was "subbing" for Holly.  Holly was not a part of the show at this point -- she left to try pursuing an acting career and asked to come back a few months later when things didn't work out.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »
Does anyone have a clip or an episode featuring the African American model tryout (I think someone said her name was Pat)  during this era when Holly left to Pursue and acting career?

I always thought the model on this episode name was Kyle?

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »
One of the best parts of this clip is the short promo for What's Happening at the start.  Had me grinning from ear to ear.

Love the Money Game reveal. 
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
Does anyone have a clip or an episode featuring the African American model tryout (I think someone said her name was Pat)  during this era when Holly left to Pursue and acting career?

I always thought the model on this episode name was Kyle?

Kyle Aletter was a sub model on TPIR for quite a few years in the 80s-90s. She's Lee Meriwether's daughter and also subbed on Card Sharks in 1988 when Lacey Pemberton was on maternity leave(Lee M. was in the audience poll question with 10 celebrity Moms on one of the weeks Kyle subbed). There were no tryouts during Holly's leaving the show in 1984, or during Janice's absence in 1988 after her injury.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
I'll give Regina the benefit of the the doubt that she wasn't trying to "run out the clock" on the first prize to get the game over with, but it seemed that way to me.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Trevtpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
Kudos to the poster of this episode.  The local station is from my hometown area!  I'm from Bay City, Michigan and WEYI TV 25 was CBS in 1984 and is now NBC.  I was only 3 but I remember TV 25's syndicated programs from that period.  The All-New Let's Make a Deal was one.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 07:05:32 AM »
I think Regina was just very self-conscious, and Bob's ribbing about "25 extra pounds", along with her messing up her first prize on Clock Game, just made it worse. She definitely looked uncomfortable. It's too bad it sucked a lot of excitement out of her awesome win.
Bob made a big deal about the price of the car in Money Game, but $8800 was not really outside the show's usual price range for cars in 1984. It was probably comparable to a Mustang in today's prices.