Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Re: 9/11
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 12:52:41 AM »
I was in bed at 7:00 am PT when my Sister called us from her last job working the day shift and told us there's something live going on TV and we should watch it.  My Mom was still around and a native New Yorker so we quickly got out of bed, turned on our TV, and watched it all day.

I was scheduled to work that afternoon at my job at the time, then my boss/friend called me at home saying not to come in to work cause we closed early due to the tragedy.

We actually started taping the live coverage from various networks after the first building collapse; I still have 13 vhs tapes total here.

I was and still in shock to this day to remember those from Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Pennyslvania.  God Bless America! 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Yes, I still remember exactly what I was doing.

I was in 8th grade.  I arrived to school a little late (tardy time was 7:50 AM; I got there at 7:53 AM).  Normally, I would have gotten a tardy slip, as I had gotten already a few times that year.  However, the secretary just told me to hurry up and get to class; she mentioned something about "something happening on TV."  I had no clue what was going on, but I knew that, if I wasn't getting marked tardy, it had to be pretty serious.

I got to class at 7:55 AM, and the TV was already on, tuned to CNN.  I couldn't believe what they were saying.  I honestly thought it was all fake, until I saw the plane crash into the South Tower at 8:03 AM.  Then, I knew there was something seriously wrong.  You could hear everyone in classrooms across the hall gasp when it happened.

Needless to say, this was the only thing the whole school did for the entire day (all work was canceled for the day).  Our English teacher finally turned off the TV at 1 PM in order for us to get some work done.  However by 1:30 PM, when it was evident that no one was doing any work, she turned the TV back on, and let us watch it for the rest of the afternoon.  We left for the day at normal time at 3 PM.

I remember going to church that night, as well as that Friday and the following Sunday.  I have rarely seen that many people in church at one time.  You could see the same look on everyone's face: Why?

It's hard to believe it's been a decade since that event.  Back then, 10 years seemed like an eternity.  I will never forget what happened that day.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
I tell you, to this day, when I watch them read those names and having survivors read them and say special things to their loved ones, it is tough to hold back a few tears.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
Amen to that.  I turned on the TV this morning and started crying some when they read the names.  It is truely an emotional day here in america even 10 years later.  GOD BLESS THE USA AND WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
From Canada and the rest of the world: GOD BLESS THE USA!

Offline jacaya

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »
I was driving to work that morning when I heard it mentioned on the radio. As soon as I arrived at work, I saw everyone had already stopped what they were doing and watched the footage of the attacks.
That's j-a-c-a-y-a. Just As Confused As You Are.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
I can't help noticing that it's just as clear and sunny today as it was 10 years ago. That's one of the ironic things, I think...how beautiful the weather was that day.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:51:24 PM by Hag »
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
I noticed that too earlier hag.  It is so beautiful and sunny here in illinois and that is how it was on that day 10 years ago.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
I watched the CBS Special Report, and according to them, the temperature in NYC was exactly the same as it was 10 years ago.

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
I was in 6th grade I had no idea what was going on when they told us over the loud speakers
I love this song by alan jackson
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
I was about to start a new job and happened to be at my parents' home on this day. My father (who died just five months later) was at work and Mom was in the kitchen, and didn't have the TV on. I turned briefly to "Today" to see smoke billowing from the lower level of one of the towers, assumed it was file footage of an attack made on the building Feb. 26, 1993, and dismissed it.

How wrong I was.

What kind of burned me up was, I was going back to school at the time and they had a candlelight vigil and discussion on the attacks. The question was asked: "What might have prompted these attacks?" What motivated 19 men, under the guise of being "heroic Muslims" from some mysterious source (Bin Laden, as it turned out) to hijack four planes and crash them into the World Trade Center and Pentagon along with targeting the White House? At least a few students suggested that these terrorists, these criminals -- let's not minimize who they were -- were part of some larger clique who was frustrated by American efforts to fight this thing called terrorism, alleging that it was some covert effort to stop Islam from spreading.

No. They were thugs and wanted to kill Americans and intimidate them into bowing to their wishes and whims. If they were opposed to "American sin," then that is not their job; you don't have to imbibe in American vices ... let us and let God deal with it. If they were against American stereotypes of Islam, then it is up to them to change their image, not crash planes into the World Trade Center, etc.

Without getting further into politics, some things have been done right, and some wrong. Simple as that.

I deeply sympathize with the families of the 3,000 people who died that day. Let's not forget them. Let us never forget the actions of the terrorists and make damn sure this never happens again.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
I was at home, just waking up when it happened, saw the whole thing on TV;  When I got to school that day, all the teachers where in their lunchroom listening to the radio.  My ocusin, saw the whole thing with his own eyes, as he had just moved to NYC.